09 July 2016 Military News
- Counter-ISIL Strikes Continue in Syria, Iraq AFPS 09 Jul 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Defence Secretary welcomes increased support for Afghanistan UK MOD 09 Jul 2016 -- The Defence Secretary Michael Fallon has authorised an uplift to the UK's enduring commitment to Afghanistan. Around 50 extra personnel will deploy to Kabul in 2017, joining the 450 British troops already in country.
Defense Policy / Programs
- USS Pearl Harbor Departs for RIMPAC SOCAL NNS 09 Jul 2016 -- The USS Pearl Harbor (LSD 52) departed her homeport of Naval Base San Diego July 7 for the biennial Rim of the Pacific 2016 exercise taking place in and around Southern California.
- U.S. Marines and Mexican Navy conduct AAV Ops NNS 09 Jul 2016 -- U.S. Marines and the Mexican Navy ship ARM Usumacinta (A-412) conducted amphibious assault vehicle operations at Naval Base San Diego as part of the multinational exercise Rim of the Pacific, July 6.
- Readout of Secretary Carter's Meeting with Turkish Minister of Defense Fikri Işik DoD 09 Jul 2016
- Press Conference by President Obama after NATO Summit The White House 09 Jul 2016
- Obama: 'No Business As Usual' With Russia Until Ukraine Peace Deal Implemented RFE/RL 09 Jul 2016 -- U.S. President Barack Obama said there can be "no business as usual" with Russia until it "fully implements" the agreement aimed at ending the war between Kyiv's forces and Russia-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine.
- Landmark NATO Summit in Warsaw draws to a close NATO 09 Jul 2016 -- NATO's Summit in Warsaw concluded on Saturday (9 July 2016), following two days of decisions to strengthen the Alliance's deterrence and defence, and plans to project stability in the wider neighbourhood. Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg thanked the Polish government and the people of Warsaw for hosting the event, saying that NATO is committed to delivering on its plans.
- Warsaw Summit Communiqué - Issued by the Heads of State and Government participating in the meeting of the North Atlantic Council in Warsaw 8-9 July 2016 NATO 09 Jul 2016
- NATO steps up efforts to project stability and strengthen partners NATO 09 Jul 2016 -- NATO leaders on Saturday (9 July) agreed a set of decisions to project stability beyond the Alliance's borders, including starting a new training and capacity building effort in Iraq and the use of AWACS surveillance aircraft to support the Global Coalition to Counter ISIL.
- NATO stands resolute towards a secure and stable Afghanistan NATO 09 Jul 2016 -- NATO leaders, joined today (9 July 2016) by leaders from Resolute Support partner countries at the Warsaw Summit, have reaffirmed their commitment to the long-term security and stability of Afghanistan. Together with Afghanistan's President Ghani and Chief Executive Abdullah, they discussed the security situation in Afghanistan and the reform process carried out by the Afghan National Unity Government. They also took stock of the performance of the Afghan National Defence and Security Forces, and laid out the way ahead for their continued support for Afghanistan.
- Afghanistan, Ukraine On NATO Summit Agenda RFE/RL 09 Jul 2016 -- NATO leaders shifted the focus to conflict-plagued Afghanistan and Ukraine on Day Two of a summit that produced a plan to deploy military forces to member-states near the border of an increasingly assertive Russia.
- NATO leaders confirm strong support for Ukraine NATO 09 Jul 2016 -- NATO leaders agreed to step up support for Ukraine at the final working session of the Warsaw Summit on Saturday (9 July 2016).
- DPRK appears to fail in test-firing of submarine-launched missile People's Daily 09 Jul 2016 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) appeared to have failed in the test-firing of a submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM), Yonhap news agency reported on Saturday, citing South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS).
- Seoul Says North Korea's Submarine Missile Test Failed RFE/RL 09 Jul 2016 -- South Korea's military said North Korea fired what appeared to be a submarine-launched ballistic missile on July 9 but the launch failed in the early stages of flight.
- North Korea Submarine Missile Launch Fails VOA 09 Jul 2016 -- North Korea has test-fired a ballistic missile from a submarine, but the missile apparently failed after launch.
- Borujerdi: Iran missile tests do not violate UN resolutions IRNA 09 Jul 2016 -- Iran's missile tests do not violate UN resolutions and the allegations made by German chancellor and United Nations secretary-general are politically-motivated, Member of Parliament Alaeddin Borujerdi said on Saturday.
- HMS Mersey to extend Royal Navy presence in Aegean UK MOD 09 Jul 2016- - Michael Fallon has authorised the deployment of HMS Mersey to the Aegean. The Defence Secretary Michael Fallon has authorised the deployment of HMS Mersey to the Aegean in support of NATO activity to counter migration.
- Defence Secretary welcomes vote on CASD UK MOD 09 Jul 2016 -- The Defence Secretary has welcomed the announcement that the Government will hold a full Parliamentary debate on the principle of Continuous at Sea Deterrence (CASD) on Monday 18th July 2016.
- South Sudan: Outbreak of Fighting in Juba US Dept. of State 09 Jul 2016
- Gunfire Heard in South Sudan's Capital, Hours After US Urges Calm VOA 09 Jul 2016 -- Gunfire has erupted again in South Sudan's capital following days of violence between rival factions that left more than 100 people dead.
- Germany Says Iran Still Trying To Acquire Nuclear Technology RFE/RL 09 Jul 2016 -- Germany charged on July 8 that conservative forces in Iran still appear to be trying to acquire nuclear technology, likely with the goal of undermining Tehran's nuclear deal with the West.
- US Expels Two Russian Officials Over Police Attack in Moscow VOA 09 Jul 2016 -- The United States has expelled two Russian diplomats in retaliation for an attack on a U.S. diplomat in Moscow at the hands of Russian police.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|