03 July 2016 Military News
- Counter-ISIL Strikes Target Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 03 Jul 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Iraq and Syria yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- US drone raid kills 14 in eastern Afghanistan Press TV 03 Jul 2016 -- A United States drone strike has killed at least 14 people in Afghanistan's eastern Nangarhar Province.
- China Delivers First Batch of Military Aid to Afghanistan VOA 03 Jul 2016 -- Afghanistan has received its first batch of Chinese military equipment as part of Beijing's commitment to provide millions of dollars of assistance to help Kabul fight terrorism.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Putin Warns Finland Against Joining NATO, Says Moscow Would Shift Troops Sputnik 03 Jul 2016 -- During a meeting with Finnish President Niinisto on Friday, the two leaders engaged in a frank discussion on how best to ensure peace in the region leading to historic steps by both sides.
- Russian Work on Defense Against Hypersonic Weapons Systems in Full Swing Sputnik 03 Jul 2016 -- Russian military scientists' work on developing defensive capabilities against the threat of hypersonic weapons systems is in full swing, according to Ground Forces Air Defense Force chief Alexander Leonov.
- Russian navy sending flagship aircraft carrier to Syria Press TV 02 Jul 2016 -- Russia is sending the flagship of its navy, the Admiral Kuznetsov aircraft carrier, to join the battle against the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group in Syria.
- No progress without security, says Iran's Navy commander IRNA 03 Jul 2016 -- Progress and welfare could take place only under security, says Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari Iran's Navy Commander.
- Mistakenly-fired missile unable to be destroyed externally: MND CNA 03 Jul 2016 -- The anti-ship missile launched by mistake on Friday carried a live warhead, not one used for drills or testing, and could not have been destroyed externally after it was accidentally fired, according to the Ministry of National Defense (MND).
- Taiwan used all means to notify China of missile mishap: official CNA 03 Jul 2016 -- China should have received a notification from Taiwan about the Navy's accidental launching of a missile into the Taiwan Strait on July 1, given that Taipei has used all available means of communication with Beijing, a senior Taiwanese official in charge of cross-strait affairs said Sunday.
- Vietnamese homemade mini-submarine on 1st sea trial People's Daily 03 Jul 2016 -- A private mini-submarine made by a Vietnamese mechanic went on its first sea trial on Sunday, local media reported.
- German arms exports almost doubled in 2015: Report Press TV 03 Jul 2016 -- Germany almost doubled its arms exports in 2015 to the highest level in nearly 20 years, in contradiction with an earlier pledge to restrict the amount of weapons sales, a report says.
- New Warships Declared too Defective to Become Part of Ukrainian Navy Sputnik 03 Jul 2016 -- Two brand new Ukrainian armored artillery boats won't become part of the nation's navy due to numerous defects.
- Ukraine Gets American Radars, Hopes for 'Enhanced Cooperation' With US Sputnik 03 Jul 2016 -- On Saturday, Ukraine has received a consignment of counter-battery radars from the United States. Kiev is preparing to deploy the "cutting edge" equipment in the war-torn Donbass region, President Petro Poroshenko announced.
- Expectation of resumption of sound development of China-Philippines relations People's Daily 03 Jul 2016 -- As the farce of arbitration on the South China Seais to end soon, it is time for the new Philippine government of Rodrigo Duterte to stop the wrong foreign policy of its predecessor, so as to bring China-Philippinesties back to the track of sound development.
- Syrian Army Cuts Key Jaysh al-Islam Supply Route North of Aleppo Sputnik 03 Jul 2016 -- The Syrian army regained control over the Mallah farms and has cut off the terrorists' supply route running along the Castello road in the north of Aleppo, according to a military source.
- Syria forms new government to boost economy Press TV 03 Jul 2016 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has issued a decree to reshuffle certain cabinet posts amid efforts made to improve the economy of the war-torn Arab country.
- Syrian army makes important advance in Aleppo Press TV 03 Jul 2016 -- Syrian government forces have made important advances in their bid to capture Aleppo from foreign-backed militants, state media and a monitor say.
- Iraq: UN condemns terrorist attack in Baghdad, warning of 'avenge' by ISIL UN News 03 Jul 2016 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has condemned the terrorist bombing in the Iraqi capital of Baghdad today that reportedly killed more than 100 people in a busy shopping street – an attack which the top UN official in that country described as an "avenge by the terrorists of Da'esh who have suffered defeats at the battlefront."
- Iraq's prime minister says victory over terrorists close Press TV 03 Jul 2016 -- Iraq's Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi vowed Sunday that his administration will punish the perpetrators of the twin bombings in the capital, Baghdad, saying that victory over Takfiri terrorists is close.
- Death toll from dawn blasts in Iraq capital hits about 130 Press TV 03 Jul 2016 -- The death toll from two bombings in a Shia neighborhood in Baghdad at dawn Sunday jumps to 126, Iraqi security and health officials say.
- Suicide Bombings Kill at Least 124 in Baghdad VOA 03 Jul 2016 -- Iraqi Defense Minister Khalid al-Obeidi met with U.S. Ambassador to Iraq Stuart Jones in Baghdad after two separate early morning bombings in Baghdad killed at least 124 people and wounded at least 186 others. The officials discussed how the two countries can better collaborate in the fight against Islamic State (IS).
- IS Accused of Hiding Money, Weapons in Mosul VOA 03 Jul 2016 -- Islamic State (IS) group has been hiding weapons and money in churches, mosques and schools of Iraq's northern city of Mosul to keep them safe from coalition airstrikes, Iraqi and Kurdish officials told VOA.
- Bangladesh rejects Daesh role in deadly attacks Press TV 03 Jul 2016 -- Officials in Bangladesh have denied claims that the Daesh Takfiri group was behind the recent deadly siege in the capital, Dhaka, saying the attackers were well-educated followers of a homegrown militant outfit.
- Bangladesh Says Dhaka Attackers Not From Islamic State Group RFE/RL 03 Jul 2016 -- Bangladesh says that the gunmen who killed 20 foreigners at a Dhaka restaurant were members of a homegrown Bangladeshi militant group and not followers of the Islamic State (IS) organization.
- Supreme Leader: JCPOA showed US animosity towards Iran not ended IRNA 03 Jul 2016 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei here Saturday said both the US government and Congress have proven their enmity toward the Iranian nation.
- China Completes World's Biggest Radio Telescope in Search of Alien Life Sputnik 03 Jul 2016 -- China's scientists are ready to study deep space after placing the final panel into the Five-hundred meter Aperture Spherical Telescope (FAST) on Sunday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|