26 June 2016 Military News
- Military Strikes Continue Against ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 26 Jun 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Iraq and Syria yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Dozens killed in Daesh attacks in eastern Afghanistan Press TV 26 Jun 2016 -- Dozens have been killed in eastern Afghanistan as the Daesh Takfiri group launches fresh attacks on civilians and security forces.
- US resumes airstrikes against Taliban in Afghanistan: Pentagon Press TV 26 Jun 2016 -- The US military has conducted its first airstrikes against Taliban militants in Afghanistan after President Barack Obama gave authorization earlier this month to expand American involvement against the militants.
- Afghan Forces Kill 135 Militants Linked to IS VOA 26 Jun 2016 -- Officials in eastern Afghanistan say security forces have killed more than 135 Islamic State (IS) militants, including top commanders, and wounded many more in days of ground and air raids near the border with Pakistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Russian Anxiety Over Montenegro's NATO Accession RFE/RL 26 Jun 2016 -- Moscow has issued its strongest warning yet over the prospect of Montenegro becoming a full member of NATO. The Russian State Duma addressed a statement to the parliamentary assemblies of NATO and OSCE countries, as well as to the national parliaments of the Balkan states, warning of the possibility of "a new Cold War."
- NATO Forces 'Play With Fire' Near Russia's Borders Sputnik 26 Jun 2016 -- A recent military parade held in Estonia that involved two US Air Force B-52 strategic bombers flying thirty kilometers away from Russia's border could be considered a demonstration of NATO's role in Europe, but also may not have been the wisest move, considering the current situation.
- Russia Aerospace Forces to Receive Six S-400 Air Defense Systems in 2016 Sputnik 26 Jun 2016 -- Six S-400 Triumph air defense missile systems will be delivered to Russian Aerospace Forces in 2016.
- Azerbaijan to Get New Weapons, Military Equipment Supplies Sputnik 26 Jun 2016 -- Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev said that Azerbaijan is buying new weapons and other military equipment, local media reported Saturday.
- White House: India Will Enjoy 99% of US Defense Technologies Sputnik 26 Jun 2016 -- According to a senior White House official, India will gain access to almost 99 percent of US defense technologies after it is recognized as a 'Major Defense Partner'.
- Fresh clashes in Yemen claim 55 lives Press TV 26 Jun 2016 -- Fresh clashes between Yemen's Houthi Ansarullah fighters and militants loyal to resigned president, Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, have claimed dozens of lives from both sides.
- Yemeni forces kill nearly dozen Saudi mercenaries in north Press TV 26 Jun 2016 -- Nearly a dozen Saudi-sponsored militants loyal to Yemen's former government have been killed after Yemeni forces thwarted their offensive in the northern province of al-Jawf.
- In Kuwait, Ban urges Yemeni delegations in peace talks to find lasting solution to end conflict UN News 26 Jun 2016 -- In Kuwait today, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon expressed concern over the situation in Yemen, urging the delegations involved in the UN-supported Yemeni peace talks to prevent a further deterioration of the situation and arrive at a comprehensive agreement ending the conflict.
- Syrian army makes fresh gains against terrorists in Hama Press TV 26 Jun 2016 -- The Syrian army has made fresh gains against the al-Qaeda-linked al-Nusra Front terrorists during an operation in the western province of Hama.
- Syrian Opposition Relays Concern to Kabul Over Afghan Fighters VOA 26 Jun 2016 -- Syria's main opposition alliance is conveying serious concerns over Iran's campaign of recruiting and training thousands of Afghan men to fight in Syria.
- US-Russia Tensions Complicate Syria War VOA 26 Jun 2016 -- A month after Russian-backed Syrian forces re-took the ancient city of Palmyra last spring, a renowned Russian orchestra came to town.
- Fallujah fully liberated from Daesh forces IRNA 26 Jun 2016 -- Iraqi spokesman of the commander of Fallujah operation said on Sunday that the city has been fully liberated from Daesh terrorists.
- Iraqi PM promises to recapture Mosul city IRNA 26 Jun 2016 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi in a message on Sunday vowed that his country's armed forces will seize back the city of Mosul as they did with the city of Fallujah.
- Abadi says Iraqis must celebrate Fallujah recapture, vows Mosul liberation Press TV 26 Jun 2016 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi says all Iraqis must celebrate the recapture of the strategic western city of Fallujah from Daesh terrorists, vowing the liberation of the militants stronghold of Mosul in the near future.
- Fallujah fully recaptured from Daesh: Iraqi commander Press TV 26 Jun 2016 -- The commander of the Fallujah liberation operation has declared the strategic western city fully liberated from Daesh terrorists.
- Iraq killed 1,300 Daesh militants in Mosul operations: Defense chief Press TV 26 Jun 2016 -- Iraq's defense minister says at least 1,300 Takfiri terrorists have been killed in the military operations to liberate the southern parts of Mosul, the main Daesh stronghold in the country.
- Iraq Declares Battle For Fallujah Over As PM Urges Celebrations RFE/RL 26 Jun 2016 -- Iraqi forces have recaptured the last remaining district held by Islamic State (IS) militants in the city of Fallujah, where Prime Minister Haidar al-Abadi arrived on June 26 and urged citizens to rejoice.
- Iraqi Forces Victorious in Fallujah Due to Unified Effort Sputnik 26 Jun 2016 -- Hadi Amiri, the head of the Badr Organization in the Popular Mobilization Forces, said that the main reason for quick victory of Iraqi forces in Fallujah is the unity.
- Iraqi Army Claims Fallujah Fully Liberated From Daesh Occupation Sputnik 26 Jun 2016 -- Commander leading Iraqi operation against Daesh in Fallujah declares the city "fully liberated," according to AP.
- Iraqi Official Declares Fallujah 'Fully Liberated' VOA 26 Jun 2016 -- Iraqi forces have liberated the city of Fallujah from Islamic State fighters, following a month-long military offensive to seize control, according to a senior Iraqi official.
- Ukrainian Forces Shell Lugansk People's Republic Militia Sputnik 26 Jun 2016 -- Ukrainian security forces began shelling the self-proclaimed Lugansk People's Republic (LPR) militia located near the village of Veselohorivka in Perevalsk area on late Saturday, local media reported Sunday.
- Nigeria army frees 5,000 people from Boko Haram captivity Press TV 26 Jun 2016 -- Nigeria's army says it has set over 5,000 people free from the grips of the Boko Haram Takfiri terrorists in the northeastern state of Borno.
- Nigerian Troops Free 5,000 Boko Haram Hostages in Borno State Sputnik 26 Jun 2016 -- The Nigerian army liberated over 5,000 persons held hostages by Boko Haram terrorists during so-called clearance operations, according an army spokesman.
- UN Sets Up Security Cordon to Shield Civilians Amid South Sudan Fighting Sputnik 26 Jun 2016 -- The UN set up a security cordon near South Sudan to protect civilians caught up in the latest peaks of violence.
- Terrorist Siege of Mogadishu Hotel Kills 20 VOA 26 Jun 2016 -- Authorities in Somalia say a terrorist siege of a Mogadishu hotel has ended, but not before at least 20 people were killed, including a government minister.
- Brexit Turns Britain Upside Down, Inside Out VOA 26 Jun 2016 -- Is Britain really going to break from the European Union?
- New Spain Elections Fail to Resolve Political Standoff VOA 26 Jun 2016 -- Spain's repeat parliamentary elections failed on Sunday to spell out the country's immediate political future, with leading parties claiming about the same number of votes as they won late last year. The inconclusive outcome in December spawned six months of failed negotiations that led to Sunday's balloting.
- Level Up: China's New Generation Rocket Starts Successfully Sputnik 26 Jun 2016 -- Long March 7, China's newest booster capable of lifting up to 13.5 metric tons, launched successfully on June 25th.
- Russia, China Boost Energy Ties During Putin's Beijing Visit RFE/RL 26 Jun 2016 -- Russia and China have signed a number of energy agreements as President Vladimir Putin seeks to boost energy ties with Asia.
- Commander: IRGC to target terrorists anywhere IRNA 26 Jun 2016 -- Commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Brigadier General Mohammad Pakpour underlined that his forces will target the armed groups and terrorist groups at any spot.
- Prosecutor: Key member of terrorist grouplet arrested in Khash IRNA 26 Jun 2016 -- Zahedan Public and Revolutionary Prosecutor Mohammad Marzieh said one key member of a terrorist grouplet was arrested during operations to destroy their circle.
- Iran to target terrorists in any place: IRGC Press TV 26 Jun 2016 -- Iran is strongly determined to fight terrorism, Commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps' (IRGC) Ground Forces Brigadier General Mohammad Pakpour says, adding that the Iranian forces will target terrorists "at any point."
- Iran arrests key member of terrorist group in southeast Press TV 26 Jun 2016 -- Iranian security forces have arrested one of the main members of the Ansar al-Forqan terrorist group in the southeastern parts of the country, a senior Iranian judicial official says.
- Jordan charges 21 over terrorism plots Press TV 26 Jun 2016 -- A court in Jordan has charged 21 people for their involvement in terrorist acts, three months after they were arrested in a massive operation north of the country.
- President seeks U.S. support during Miami transit stop CNA 26 Jun 2016 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) sought U.S. Congress support for Taiwan's indigenous submarine program and talked about trade-related issues when meeting with U.S. Congress members during a transit stop in Miami Friday, according to Presidential Office Deputy Secretary-General Tseng Hou-jen (曾厚仁).
- U.S. representative welcomes Tsai in Miami, voices support for Taiwan CNA 26 Jun 2016 -- The chairwoman emeritus of the U.S. House Committee on Foreign Affairs, Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, welcomed Taiwan's President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) Saturday in Miami, Florida, expressing her support for Taiwan and hope for the two nations to become better friends and allies.
- Panama Opens Canal Expansion VOA 26 Jun 2016 -- Panama officially opened an addition to its fabled sea canal Sunday for a new generation of super cargo ships, capping a nine-year, $5.4 billion expansion project that will double shipping capacity and impact global trade routes.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|