24 June 2016 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 24 Jun 2016 [PDF]
- Department of Defense Press Briefing by Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook in the Pentagon Briefing Room DoD 24 Jun 2016 -- Presenter: Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook
- U.S., UK to Maintain Close Ties; Counter-ISIL Efforts Continue AFPS 24 Jun 2016 -- Defense Secretary Ash Carter told his United Kingdom counterpart State Secretary for Defense Michael Fallon in a phone call today that the two nations will always enjoy a special relationship reflected in close defense ties -- a bedrock of U.S. security and foreign policy, Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook told reporters here today.
- Coalition Strikes Target ISIL in Iraq, Syria AFPS 24 Jun 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Iraq and Syria yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Afghanistan willing to join AIIB: president People's Daily 24 Jun 2016 -- Afghanistan is willing to join the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) and actively participate in the construction of the Belt and Road Initiative, Afghan President Mohammad Ashraf Ghani said here on Friday.
- Afghan Forces, IS Militants Locked in Fierce Battle VOA 24 Jun 2016 -- Fierce fighting has erupted in eastern Afghanistan after militants linked to Islamic State staged coordinated overnight attacks on Afghan security forces' outposts and civilian areas, officials said Friday.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Navy's Final Satellite in MUOS Constellation Launches Successfully NNS 24 Jun 2016 -- The Navy's fifth Mobile User Objective System (MUOS) satellite launched at 10:30 a.m. EDT, June 24, from Space Launch Complex 41 aboard a United Launch Alliance Atlas 5 rocket in the 551 launch vehicle configuration.
- Statement by Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook on U.S.-Republic of Korea (ROK)-Japan Video Conference DoD 24 Jun 2016 -- Today, Ms. Kelly Magsamen, Performing the Duties of Assistant Secretary of Defense for Asian and Pacific Security Affairs; ROK Deputy Minister of National Defense for Policy Yoo Jeh-seung; and Japan Director General for Defense Policy Satoshi Maeda co-chaired a trilateral interagency video conference.
- Exercise Koa Moana: First direct training between U.S. Marines, Papua New Guinea Defence Force USMC News 24 Jun 2016 -- More than 130 service members from the Papua New Guinea Defence Force, U.S. Marine Corps and Navy mesh as one formation, despite the extreme heat and scorching sun, to celebrate the beginning of a beneficial future for all three components.
- Task Force Koa Moana: Building from the basics USMC News 24 Jun 2016 -- Since WWII, U.S. Marines have had rich history in the Asia-Pacific region. However, America's expeditionary, amphibious force hasn't had the opportunity to operate or train with the Papua New Guinea Defence Force directly since then.
- 4th AABn arrives in Camp Lejeune for water operations USMC News 24 Jun 2016 -- Marines with Company C, 4th Assault Amphibian Battalion conducted water operations as part of their two-week annual training at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, June 22, 2016.
- RIMPAC Exercise to Bring 26 Nations Together in Pacific NNS 24 Jun 2016 -- Twenty-six nations, 45 ships, five submarines, more than 200 aircraft and 25,000 personnel will participate in the biennial Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) exercise scheduled June 30 to Aug. 4, in and around the Hawaiian islands and Southern California.
- International Ships Sail to Hawaii for Rim of the Pacific 2016 NNS 24 Jun 2016 -- Four multinational groups have set sail toward Hawaii in support of the Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) exercise commencing June 30. Participating in Group Sail, 10 ships departed from San Diego, while 12 ships met in the Western Pacific Ocean.
- USS Ashland Arrives in Singapore NNS 24 Jun 2016 -- Whidbey Island-class dock landing ship USS Ashland (LSD 48) arrived in Singapore after completing several phases in the Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training (CARAT) series, June 24.
- Navy Accepts Delivery of Future USS Montgomery (LCS 8) NNS 24 Jun 2016 -- The Navy accepted delivery of future USS Montgomery (LCS 8) during a ceremony at the Austal USA shipyard, June 23.
- AN/SPY-6 Array Delivered to Pacific Missile Range Facility NNS 24 Jun 2016 -- The U.S. Navy installed a new AN/SPY-6 radar at the Advanced Radar Development Evaluation Laboratory (ARDEL) at the Pacific Missile Range Facility (PMRF) June 6.
- US Navy, JMSDF Begin New Course to Plan for Large-Scale Disasters NNS 24 Jun 2016 -- A new course to educate and train staff level naval officers
from various countries to formulate a plan to conduct humanitarian assistance and disaster relief (HADR) operations kicked off June 20 at the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF) Command and Staff College.
- UK's position in NATO remains unchanged: NATO chief People's Daily 24 Jun 2016 -- In his response to Britons voting to withdraw from the European Union(EU) on Thursday, NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg on Friday said the United Kingdom would retain its position in NATO despite the change in the EU's political landscape.
- Readout from Secretary Carter's Call with UK State Secretary for Defense Michael Fallon DoD 24 Jun 2016
- NATO Secretary General's statement on the outcome of the British referendum on the EU NATO 24 Jun 2016 -- The British people have decided to leave the European Union. As it defines the next chapter in its relationship with the EU, I know that the United Kingdom's position in NATO will remain unchanged. The UK will remain a strong and committed NATO Ally, and will continue to play its leading role in our Alliance.
- Run Silent, Run Scared: Russian Sub Hunter to Tote Powerful New Bomb Sputnik 24 Jun 2016 -- Russian engineers are working to adapt the all-new Zagon-2 antisubmarine corrected air bomb for use by Mi-14 helicopters, RIA Novosti wrote citing Techmash Concern's CEO Sergei Rusakov.
- Turkey parliament grants immunity to security, armed forces Press TV 24 Jun 2016 -- Turkey's parliament has passed legislation that grants immunity to security and armed forces involved in "counter-terrorism" operations, amid a Turkish crackdown on separatist Kurdish groups.
- N Korea rejects UNSC rebuke of missile tests, blames US for peninsula tensions Press TV 24 Jun 2016 -- North Korea has strongly rejected a UN Security Council rebuke of Pyongyang's recent missile tests, saying the US is pushing the Korean Peninsula towards an "uncontrollable extreme phase."
- N Korea to increase nuke tests in response to US threats: Official Press TV 24 Jun 2016 -- A top North Korean official says his country has no choice but to conduct more nuclear tests and missile launches as long as the United States continues its hostile policy towards Pyongyang.
- Qatar purchases Super Mushshak trainer aircraft from Pakistan Press TV 24 Jun 2016 -- The Persian Gulf kingdom of Qatar has bought a number of the PAC Super Mushshak (Proficient) fixed-gear basic trainer aircraft from Pakistan.
- June 24, 2016 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 24 Jun 2016
- 24 June 2016 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 24 Jun 2016
- Economic and Social Council President urges closer ties with UN peacebuilding body UN News 24 Jun 2016 -- Closer collaboration between the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) and the UN Peacebuilding Commission is imperative in order to move forward on commitments in the sustainable development agenda and effectively address the specific challenges and needs of countries emerging from conflict, the President of ECOSOC said today.
- Saudi warplanes mistakenly bomb allied forces in northern Yemen Press TV 24 Jun 2016 -- Saudi military aircraft have reportedly targeted Riyadh-sponsored militiamen loyal to resigned Yemeni President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi in Yemen's northern province of al-Jawf, killing and injuring scores of the mercenaries.
- Lebanon's Hezbollah Vows to Send More Fighters to Syria VOA 24 Jun 2016 -- The leader of Lebanon's militant Hezbollah movement said Friday that the group would send more fighters to Syria to support the Damascus government.
- Daesh abducts 900 in Syria's Aleppo: Group Press TV 24 Jun 2016 -- The Takfiri terrorist group of Daesh has reportedly kidnapped as many as 900 people from a Kurdish city in the northeast of the Syrian border province of Aleppo.
- UN to Fly Aid to Syrian City Near Islamic State Area VOA 24 Jun 2016 -- The U.N.'s World Food Program reports it soon will begin regular flights of food and other relief supplies from the Syrian capital, Damascus, to the northeastern city of Kamishly. The WFP says the air bridge service will be open for all humanitarian organizations operating within Syria.
- 14 killed in 'violent clashes' for Libya's Sirte Press TV 24 Jun 2016 -- Over a dozen people have been killed in "very violent clashes" between force loyal to Libya's Government of National Unity (GNA) and the Daesh Takfiri terrorists over the city of Sirte.
- Libya air force pounds Daesh positions in Sirte Press TV 24 Jun 2016 -- Government-backed forces in Libya have carried out airstrikes on Daesh positions in Sirte in support of the ground operations aimed at liberating the coastal city from the terror group.
- Libya: Senior UN humanitarian official strongly condemns attacks on medical facilities UN News 24 Jun 2016 -- The acting United Nations Humanitarian Coordinator in Libya, Dr. Syed Jaffar Hussain expressed deep concerns at recent attacks in Benghazi that put medical facilities at risk and urged all parties to take all feasible precautions to prevent casualties among patients and medical personnel.
- Separate PKK attacks leave six Turkish soldiers dead Press TV 24 Jun 2016 -- At least six Turkish soldiers have lost their lives when members of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) launched two separate attacks against government forces in the southeastern provinces of Hakkari and Mardin.
- Pope Francis Denounces Armenian 'Genocide' In Yerevan RFE/RL 24 Jun 2016 -- Pope Francis has denounced the "genocide" of Armenians by Ottoman-era Turkish forces a century ago.
- Pope Denounces World War I Mass Killings During Armenia Visit VOA 24 Jun 2016 -- Pope Francis denounced again Friday the World War I-era mass killings of Armenians by Ottoman Turks as "genocide" as he met with Armenia's President Serzh Sargsyan, a statement that enraged Ankara a year ago.
- South Sudan: UN food relief agency warns of worsening food, nutrition status UN News 24 Jun 2016 -- Despite some recent political progress in South Sudan, a deteriorating food and nutrition situation, economic decline and sporadic violence are continuing to significantly impact the humanitarian needs within the country, the United Nations food relief agency cautioned today.
- Indian Army Objects Development Along Border with China Sputnik 24 Jun 2016 -- The Indian Army is opposing development projects in the country's northeast, warning that border roads could facilitate possible infiltration.
- After 'Brexit' Vote, Fears Of EU Losing Influential Voice On Russia RFE/RL 24 Jun 2016 -- For several years now, the Kremlin and its allies have courted Euroskeptic political movements in what has been widely seen as an effort to undermine unity in the European Union's Russia policy - including sanctions for Moscow's intervention in Ukraine.
- Brexit leaves European leaders reeling Press TV 24 Jun 2016 -- European leaders have expressed dismay after Britain voted to leave the EU, triggering warnings of repercussions and fears of further calls for similar referendums.
- UK's EU exit not onset of union collapse: Juncker Press TV 24 Jun 2016 -- The president of the European Commission, which is the executive branch of the European Union, has insisted that Britain's vote to withdraw from the EU is not the beginning of the end for 28-nation bloc.
- British Vote To Leave European Union, Sending World Markets Into Turmoil RFE/RL 24 Jun 2016 -- The United Kingdom has chosen to leave the European Union, a bombshell result that roiled world markets, prompted Prime Minister David Cameron to announce his resignation, and sowed deep doubts about the fate of the 28-member bloc.
- British Voters Choose to Exit EU, PM Cameron to Step Down VOA 24 Jun 2016 -- Britain has made a historic decision to leave the European Union in a referendum that stoked passions on issues of immigration and sovereignty, and prompted the resignation of Prime Minister David Cameron.
- Brussels Demands Immediate 'Brexit' Negotiations to Limit Fallout VOA 24 Jun 2016 -- After the global shock caused by Britain's vote to leave the European Union, EU officials in Brussels are scrambling to contain the economic and political damage.
- Global Leaders Lament Britain's Choice to Leave EU VOA 24 Jun 2016 -- The British people on Thursday voted by a narrow margin to break away from the European Union, a move that some European leaders labeled a grave mistake.
- Russia Revels In Brexit Vote RFE/RL 24 Jun 2016 -- Russian politicians, journalists, and nationalists are reveling in the United Kingdom's historic vote to leave the European Union, banking on a Brussels more amenable to Moscow, and casting Brexit both as a sign of Europe falling apart at the seams and of waning U.S. influence.
- British Voters Opt To Leave European Union RFE/RL 24 Jun 2016 -- The United Kingdom's Electoral Commission has officially declared that British voters have opted to leave the European Union.
- UN experts urge Israeli lawmakers to halt proposed legislation targeting civil society groups UN News 24 Jun 2016 -- Three United Nations human rights experts today urged Israeli lawmakers not to approve the bill that would, in effect, target non-governmental organizations (NGOs) that are critical of Government policy.
- New Taiwan President Travels to Consolidate Diplomatic Ties VOA 24 Jun 2016 -- Taiwan's President Tsai Ing-wen set off Friday for two friendly nations in Latin America, her first overseas trip after a month in office, to lock in ties that could be disrupted by China. She'll also meet officials from a wider group of countries including the United States.
- President: No one able to weaken JCPOA IRNA 24 Jun 2016 -- No one inside or outside the country is able to understimate the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action reached between Iran and G5+1, President Hassan Rouhani said.
- Iran defensive arrangements not negotiable: Zarif IRNA 24 Jun 2016 -- Iran's defensive arrangements are not negotiable, Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said on Thursday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|