22 June 2016 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 22 Jun 2016 [PDF]
- U.S., Coalition Continue Counter-ISIL Strikes in Syria, Iraq AFPS 22 Jun 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 22 Jun 2016 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations in the fight against Daesh
Defense Policy / Programs
- Detainee Transfer Announced DoD 22 Jun 2016 -- The Department of Defense announced today the transfer of Abdel Malik Ahmed Abdel Wahab Al Rahabi from the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay to the Government of Montenegro.
- Counting Down to Launch: 5th MUOS Satellite Poised to Complete Constellation NNS 22 Jun 2016 -- The Navy's fifth Mobile User Objective System (MUOS) satellite is awaiting countdown for launch June 24, during a window from 10:30-11:14 a.m. EDT.
- ACC: F-35 on track for IOC AFNS 22 Jun 2016 -- The F-35A Lightning II is on track to declare initial operational capability between August and December.
- Remarks by Secretary of Defense Ash Carter at a Troop Event, Fort Knox, Kentucky DoD 22 Jun 2016 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter
- Secretary of Defense Ash Carter and Senator Joseph Donnelly (D-Ind.) Hold Media Availability Crane, Indiana DoD 22 Jun 2016 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter; Senator Joseph Donnelly (D-Ind.)
- DoD Requires 'Culture of Cybersecurity' to Safeguard Networks, Official Says AFPS 22 Jun 2016 -- The Defense Department has made significant progress in implementing its cyber strategy, a senior DoD official told members of the House Armed Services Committee today.
- African Partnership Flight Kenya kicks off AFNS 22 Jun 2016 -- The first African Partnership Flight in Kenya officially began its mission following opening ceremonies here June 21.
- Airmen join multinational effort, offer medical care in Cambodia AFNS 22 Jun 2016 -- Medical professionals from several nations and agencies recently came together in Pacific Angel 16-2 to promote interoperability with partner nations while delivering humanitarian aid to Cambodians in the Kampot province.
- Department of Defense Publishes Phased Retirement Program Guidance DoD 22 Jun 2016 -- The Department of Defense has released a department-wide policy on the Phased Retirement Program. As more employees become eligible for retirement, this program will assist DoD components and agencies with the transfer of knowledge and provide continuity of operations on a short-term basis.
- Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Europe and NATO Jim Townsend and Estonian Ambassador to the United States Eerik Marmei Sign Agreement on Research, Development, Testing, and Evaluation Activities DoD 22 Jun 2016 -- Today Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Europe and NATO Jim Townsend and Estonian Ambassador to the United States Eerik Marmei signed an agreement reinforcing cooperation between the U.S. Department of Defense and the Estonian Ministry of Defense on research, development, testing, and evaluation activities.
- Training Air Wing 5 Receives Final T-6B NNS 22 Jun 2016 -- An unprecedented three-plane formation of the Navy's first, Training Air Wing 5's final T-6B Texan II aircraft arrived to Naval Air Station Whiting Field June 21. The landing marked the command's full complement of primary, fixed-wing aircraft.
- Pure Praxis Brings Innovative SAPR Training to Korea NNS 22 Jun 2016 -- Service members and civilians stationed throughout the Republic of Korea are attending interactive Sexual Assault Prevention and Response (SAPR) training while the Pure Praxis theater group visits the peninsula, June 20-23.
- USS San Jacinto Visits Naples NNS 22 Jun 2016 -- Guided-missile cruiser USS San Jacinto (CG 56) departed Naples, Italy, after a four day port visit, June 21.
- US Navy, Marines Increase Complexity, Enhance Cooperation during CARAT Thailand NNS 22 Jun 2016 -- The 22nd annual Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training (CARAT) exercise between the U.S. Navy, U.S. Marine Corps, and Royal Thai Armed Forces concluded at the Royal Thai Navy Base in Sattahip, Thailand, June 22.
- US Marines Use Decommissioned Jets From 'Boneyard' Amid Lack of New Planes Sputnik 22 Jun 2016 -- The US marines were forced to reclaim old decommissioned fighter jets from a "boneyard" amid a shortage of planes caused by long delays in the production of the F-35 planes, the Fox News reported Wednesday.
- Cyber Command Deputy Details Formation of Cyber Mission Force AFPS 22 Jun 2016 -- The deputy commander of U.S. Cyber Command detailed the command's efforts to build capabilities and capacity in the Cyber Mission Force during his testimony before the House Armed Services Committee here today.
- Kenyan, Ugandan troops learn combat rescue tactics from Airmen AFNS 22 Jun 2016 -- The first African Partnership Flight in Kenya officially began its mission following opening ceremonies here June 21.
- AF medics enhance skills, build relationships in Dominican Republic AFNS 22 Jun 2016 -- Airmen from the 59th Medical Wing are improving their clinical skills and building international relationships during a U.S. Southern Command sponsored readiness training exercise in the Dominican Republic.
- Media availability by Secretary Carter at Fort Knox, Kentucky DoD 22 Jun 2016 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter
- Six EU Countries Decrease Defense Spending in 2014-2015 Sputnik 22 Jun 2016 -- Six states in the European Union, namely Italy, Bulgaria, Austria, Belgium, Finland and Ireland, decreased their defense spending from 2014 to 2015, according to a report published by the European Defence Agency.
- Norway authorizes potential troop deployment to Syria Press TV 22 Jun 2016 -- Norway's parliament has accepted a government request for sending troops to Syria, a new sign that the pacifist Scandinavian country may become involved deeper in the conflict in the Arab country.
- Russia to act against NATO's aggressive rhetoric: Putin Press TV 22 Jun 2016 -- President Vladimir Putin says Russia will take adequate measures to counter NATO's increasingly "aggressive rhetoric."
- Zvezda Shipyard Expansion Among Russia's Top Construction Projects Sputnik 22 Jun 2016 -- The expansion of the Zvezda shipyard in Russia's Far East is one of the most important construction projects in the country as it will enable the realization of the country's Arctic development plans, Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said Wednesday.
- Germany must increase military spending to counter threats: Merkel Press TV 22 Jun 2016 -- Chancellor Angela Merkel says Germany must increase defense spending considerably from current levels to cope with "external threats," stressing that Berlin cannot count on the US.
- Commentary: U.S. display of military power act of hegemony People's Daily 22 Jun 2016 -- Two American aircraft carriers conducted practice drills in the waters not far from the coast of the Philippines islands in recent days.
- Japan condemns N Korea for its fresh ballistic missile tests Press TV 22 Jun 2016 -- Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe says North Korea's launch of two ballistic missiles on Wednesday is "unforgivable" as his country's armed forces are put on high alert.
- USSTRATCOM Detects, Tracks North Korean Missile Launches USSTRATCOM 21 Jun 2016 -- U.S. Strategic Command (USSTRATCOM) systems detected and tracked what we assess were two North Korean missile launches at 3:56 p.m. CDT and 6:03 p.m. CDT, June 21, 2016. The launch of two presumed Musudan intermediate range ballistic missiles occurred at Wonsan.
- DPRK yet to confirm suspected missile launches People's Daily 22 Jun 2016 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) has not confirmed the suspected test-launch of two missiles on Wednesday morning.
- DPRK fires 6th suspected Musudan missile, 2nd in a day People's Daily 22 Jun 2016 -- A Local resident watches the screen broadcasting the news that the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) fired a missile, at a train station in Seoul, South Korea, June 22, 2016. The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on Wednesday fired the sixth suspected Musudan intermediate-range ballistic missile, the second in the day, after the fifth test-launch had failed, Yonhap news agency reported citing military authorities. (Xinhua/Yao Qilin)
- US condemns North Korea missile tests, says ready for 'any attack' Press TV 22 Jun 2016 -- The US State Department has condemned North Korea for launching two Musudan mid-range ballistic missiles, saying the US remains "prepared" in the face of any threat.
- North Korea launches two ballistic missiles, reports say Press TV 22 Jun 2016 -- North Korea has reportedly test-launched two Musudan mid-range ballistic missiles, Washington and Seoul military sources say.
- North Korea Fires Second Ballistic Missile Hours After First Failed Launch Sputnik 22 Jun 2016 -- South Korea claims that the North has fired another mid-range ballistic missile, its second of the day.
- North Korea Reportedly Fires Ballistic Missile Off East Coast Sputnik 22 Jun 2016 -- According to South Korea's Yonhap News Agency, the DPRK has fired an intermediate-range ballistic missile from its eastern coast.
- North Korea's Missile Tests Show Real Progress VOA 22 Jun 2016 -- North Korea's latest missile tests indicate the Kim Jong Un government is continuing to advance its ballistic missile technology, in defiance of United Nations sanctions.
- Seoul: N. Korea Tests 2 Ballistic Missiles, 1 Fails VOA 22 Jun 2016 -- North Korea on Wednesday fired two ballistic missile from its east coast, U.S. and South Korean military officials said. At least one of the two attempts failed.
- Turkey Launches Third Naval Corvette to Promote Domestic Defense Industry Sputnik 22 Jun 2016 -- In a lavish ceremony, Turkey unveiled its third naval corvette over the weekend, with a fourth on the way.
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 22 Jun 2016
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Josh Earnest The White House 22 Jun 2016
- 22 June 2016 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 22 Jun 2016
- Security Council hears calls for improved coordination, regional partnerships in UN peacebuilding efforts UN News 22 Jun 2016 -- Sustaining peace requires more coherence and coordination among the United Nations system, the head of the intergovernmental advisory body that supports peace efforts in countries emerging from conflict told the Security Council today.
- No overlapping claims with China in South China Sea: Indonesia FM Press TV 22 Jun 2016 -- Indonesia has dismissed China's statement that the two countries have overlapping claims in the South China Sea, following recent encounters between Chinese ships and Indonesian navy vessels.
- Yemen's Houthis call for consensus president in any peace deal Press TV 22 Jun 2016 -- Yemen's Houthi Ansarullah movement has reaffirmed its demand for a consensus president to lead the transition in any peace deal aimed at ending the Saudi aggression against the conflict-hit country.
- Assad asks electricity minister to form new government Press TV 22 Jun 2016 -- Syria's President Bashar al-Assad has asked the country's electricity minister to form a new government.
- Russia: Nusra Front militants continue to shell Aleppo Press TV 22 Jun 2016 -- Russia says al-Qaeda-affiliated Nusra Front militants continue shelling residential neighborhoods in the Syrian city of Aleppo despite a "regime of quiet" being in force.
- Pentagon Avoided Cutting Off Internet in Daesh Stronghold of Raqqa Sputnik 22 Jun 2016 -- The US Department of Defense refrained from cutting off Internet access in the Islamic State's command and control center in Raqqa, Syria out of concern for citizens' rights to access the Internet, Assistant Secretary of Defense for Homeland and Global Security Thomas Atkin said on Wednesday.
- Some 2,500 Daesh Takfiri terrorists killed in Fallujah: Iraqi commander Press TV 22 Jun 2016 -- A senior Iraqi commander says nearly 2,500 Daesh Takfiri terrorists have been killed during a month-long offensive to recapture the strategic western city of Fallujah from the extremists.
- Pledging Conference in Support of Iraq US Dept. of State 22 Jun 2016
- Top US General urges military action in Libya Press TV 22 Jun 2016 -- The US military's plans to counter the Daesh (ISIL) Takfiri terrorist group in Libya "makes no sense," a top US general says, adding that Washington needs to take a tougher stance in the country.
- Libyan forces advance against Daesh in Sirte Press TV 22 Jun 2016 -- Forces loyal to Libya's unity government have tightened the noose around Daesh terrorists in the northern port city of Sirte, advancing further into the Takfiri group's stronghold.
- Heavy Fighting Against Islamic Militants in Benghazi, Sirte VOA 22 Jun 2016 -- Forces loyal to Libya's new "national unity" government in Tripoli have reportedly made gains inside the Islamic State-held coastal city of Sirte, while forces loyal to the rival government in Tobruk say they have pushed back al-Qaida militants in Benghazi.
- Turkish jets bomb PKK sites in north Iraq, southeast Turkey Press TV 22 Jun 2016 -- Turkish warplanes have conducted fresh airstrikes against the positions of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) in northern Iraq and southeastern Turkey.
- Lebanon: UN envoy calls for collective support from global community for country at risk of ‘imploding' UN News 22 Jun 2016 -- The United Nations head of humanitarian operations for Lebanon today urged the international community to develop a comprehensive approach of support, or risk the implosion of a country that is vital to the regional dynamics.
- Colombia, FARC Rebels Announce Cease-fire Deal VOA 22 Jun 2016 -- Colombia and the leftist FARC rebels agreed to a cease-fire Wednesday, ending hostilities in a 50-year-long guerrilla war that killed about 220,000 people.
- After Decades of War, Colombia and FARC Rebels Reach Definitive Peace Deal Sputnik 22 Jun 2016 -- After decades of hostilities, the Colombian government and the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) guerrilla group announced a definitive peace deal.
- Eritrea Accuses Ethiopia of Planning a Full-scale War VOA 22 Jun 2016 -- The government of Eritrea told the U.N. Human Rights Council that its neighbor Ethiopia is planning to launch a full scale war against its territory.
- Uncertainty Hangs Over Truce With Nigeria's Avenger Oil Militants VOA 22 Jun 2016 -- A cease-fire between Nigeria's government and a militant group that has claimed responsibility for a series of crippling attacks on oil infrastructure may be on shaky ground.
- Disarming armed groups, civilian protection crucial for Central African Republic - UN expert UN News 22 Jun 2016 -- Concluding her seventh visit in the country, Marie-Thérèse Keita Bocoum, the Independent Expert on the situation of human rights in the Central African Republic (CAR), expressed concern about the threats from armed groups and large-scale banditry to the protection of civilians, natural resources and to the crisis recovery process.
- S.Korea denounces DPRK's missile launches as violation of UN resolutions People's Daily 22 Jun 2016 -- South Korea on Wednesday denounced the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK)'s test-launches of two missiles, which were believed to be intermediate-range Musudan ballistic missiles, as it violated UN Security Council resolutions banning any test of the DPRK's ballistic missile technology.
- Seoul: Sanctions Against N Korea May Be Toughened Over New Missile Launches Sputnik 22 Jun 2016 -- South Korean foreign ministry warned Wednesday that sanctions against North Korea may be toughened after the country launched two ballistic missiles.
- Nine secrets about China's Long March-7 rocket People's Daily 22 Jun 2016 -- According to a subordinate WeChat account of the PLA Daily, Long March-7, China's homegrown new-generation carrier rocket, is scheduled to be launched from the Wenchang Satellite Launch Center in south China's Hainan province between June 25 and 29.
- India sends 20 satellites into space in single mission Press TV 22 Jun 2016 -- India has successfully sent 20 satellites into space in a single mission, a record-breaking event for the country's space agency that received its premier's warm praise.
- India Successfully Puts Record 20 Satellites Into Orbit – Space Agency Sputnik 22 Jun 2016 -- India has launched a record 20 satellites from its Satish Dhawan space center on the Sriharikota island off eastern coast, the national space agency said early Wednesday.
- Polish President Signs Anti-Terror Bill Allowing Wiretapping of Suspects Sputnik 22 Jun 2016 -- Polish President Andrzej Duda on Wednesday signed into law a controversial anti-terrorism legislation, which among other measures allows for the security services to conduct wiretapping of suspects, a statement on the presidential website said.
- Zarif: No one can tear up Iran nuclear deal IRNA 22 Jun 2016 -- Foreign Minister Mohammad-Javad Zarif said on Wednesday that no one can tear up the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), reached between Iran and the six world powers last year.
- Iran's Intelligence Ministry reveals details of foiled Takfiri bomb attacks ISNA 22 Jun 2016 -- Iranian Intelligence Minister Mahmoud Alavi revealed the details of several thwarted Takfiri "suicide" bomb attacks across the country.
- UN special adviser stresses urgency of de-escalating tensions sparked by protests in Bahrain UN News 22 Jun 2016 -- Noting the new protests and increased tensions in Bahrain triggered by the revocation of the citizenship of a prominent Shia religious leader, a senior United Nations human rights advisor called on the Government to ensure that the right to freedom of peaceful assembly is fully respected and that any response to the protests is in accordance with the country's obligations under international human rights law.
- Bahrain must ensure freedom of speech, assembly: UN official Press TV 22 Jun 2016 -- A United Nations official has called on the Bahraini regime to guarantee freedom of expression and assembly in the island country amid Manama's severe crackdown on religious figures and human rights activists.
- Maduro meets with US diplomat amid tension in ties Press TV 22 Jun 2016 -- Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro has met with an American envoy in Caracas amid tension between the two countries.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|