19 June 2016 Military News
- U.S., Coalition Continue Strikes Against ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 19 Jun 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- US drone strike leaves eight dead in north Afghanistan Press TV 19 Jun 2016 -- At least eight people have been killed in a drone strike by US forces in Afghanistan's northern province of Kunduz.
- UN Refugee Chief Says Displaced Afghans 'Forgotten' RFE/RL 19 Jun 2016 -- The UN's refugee chief has said displaced Afghans had already been "forgotten" by the international community before they began arriving in Europe in large numbers last year.
- US plans to keep special forces in Yemen: Report Press TV 19 Jun 2016 -- The US reportedly plans to extend its military presence in Yemen by keeping a force of special operations advisers in the war-torn country.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Tens of Thousands Protest US Bases in Okinawa VOA 19 Jun 2016 -- Tens of thousands of demonstrators have gathered on the Japanese island of Okinawa demanding the U.S. military shut down its bases there following a rash of high-profile incidents involving service members that have made headlines in recent months.
- Guam-based HSC-25 Assists in Distressed Persons Recovery in Mariana Islands NNS 19 Jun 2016 -- The MH-60S Knighthawk was able to locate and relay the position of the distressed personnel to the U.S. Coast Guard Sector Guam command center, which was able to coordinate with the Fire Division of the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) Department of Public Safety (DPS) to recover the personnel.
- US aircraft carriers begin drills in Philippine Sea Press TV 19 Jun 2016 -- Two US aircraft carriers along with their accompanying ships have been deployed in the Philippine Sea to conduct training drills near the disputed waters of the South China Sea, defense officials say.
- US hopes China takes notice as two aircraft carriers sail PH Sea Press TV 19 Jun 2016 -- The US Navy has deployed two aircraft carriers in the western Pacific Ocean as tensions mount before an international court's ruling on China's maritime claims in the South China Sea.
- US Navy replacing speed with firepower in new strategy Press TV 19 Jun 2016 -- The US Navy has reached the conclusion that spending billions of dollars to make faster warships is not a viable strategy and it needs to sacrifice speed in favor of firepower.
- Bulgaria Rejects NATO Fleet in the Black Sea, Romania Hurriedly Backs Off Sputnik 19 Jun 2016 -- Bulgaria's prime minister firmly ruled out his country's participation in the proposed NATO fleet in the Black Sea aimed at countering Russian forces in the area: "I don't need war," the politician said after Russia promised a response; meanwhile Romania's president, one of the initiators, has hurriedly backed off.
- Germany's Foreign Minister Accuses NATO Of 'Warmongering' RFE/RL 19 Jun 2016 -- German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier has criticized NATO military exercises in Eastern Europe as "warmongering."
- Commander: Presence in Atlantic Ocean on Navy's agenda ISNA 19 Jun 2016 -- Commander of the Islamic Republic of Iran's Navy announced that the presence of the country's warships in the high seas, specially Atlantic Ocean, is on the Navy's agenda.
- Erdogan says Turkey is ready to build aircraft carriers Press TV 19 Jun 2016 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says his country's defense ministry is now capable of building full-fledged aircraft carriers.
- On World Day, Ban declares era of impunity 'over' for sexual violence in war UN News 19 Jun 2016 -- Marking the first International Day for the Elimination of Sexual Violence in Conflict, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today said that the era of impunity for sexual violence as a tool of war is over, citing a host of landmark rulings against political and military leaders.
- China says Indonesia navy fired on its fishing boats Press TV 19 Jun 2016 -- China's Foreign Ministry said Sunday an Indonesian naval vessel fired on Chinese fishing boats and injured at least one person.
- China, Serbia stress sovereignty and territorial integrity People's Daily 19 Jun 2016 -- Chinese and Serbian heads of State stressed the importance of the respect for sovereignty and territorial integrity in a joint statement issued on Saturday.
- Yemen's Houthis release 276 prisoners loyal to Hadi Press TV 19 Jun 2016 -- Yemen's Houthi Ansarullah movement on Sunday announced the release of 276 prisoners loyal to the Saudi-backed resigned president, Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, in a gesture of good will.
- Yemeni missile kills 31 Saudi mercenaries in Jawf: Report Press TV 19 Jun 2016 -- Yemeni forces have reportedly targeted a center of gathering belonging to Saudi mercenaries in the country's northern province of al-Jawf, leaving more than two dozen of the militiamen dead.
- Syrian forces kill nearly 170 terrorists in Aleppo province Press TV 19 Jun 2016 -- Syrian forces have killed nearly 170 Takfiri terrorists during battle in the northern province of Aleppo in recent days, a report says.
- Three killed in bomb blast in Syria's Hasakah province Press TV 19 Jun 2016 -- Three people were killed in a bomb blast Sunday in Syria's northern province of Hasakah during an event marking the massacre of Christians over a century ago.
- Russia, US agree to coordinate military operations in Syria Press TV 19 Jun 2016 -- Russia says it has reached an agreement with the US to improve coordination between their military operations in Syria where they are backing opposing sides.
- Russia Says It Agrees With U.S. To Improve Military Coordination In Syria RFE/RL 19 Jun 2016 -- Russia agreed to improve coordination with the United States on military operations in Syria, following blunt accusations from the Pentagon that Moscow had targeted U.S.-backed opposition forces.
- Syrian Opposition Group, de Mistura's Representatives Discuss Settlement Sputnik 19 Jun 2016 -- Cairo group member Firas Khalidi said that UN Special Envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura's representatives met with members of the Cairo-formed Syrian opposition group to discuss the country's political transition.
- Militant Shelling Kills Eight People in Aleppo, Syria Sputnik 19 Jun 2016 -- A member of the Syrian Democratic Council said that eight people were killed during militant shelling of the Sheikh Maqsood district in the Syrian city of Aleppo.
- Putin Supportive of American Proposals for Syria VOA 19 Jun 2016 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin said he agrees with an American proposal to incorporate opposition representatives in Syria's government, but balked at the idea that Syrian President Bashar al-Assad should step down immediately.
- Foreign Ministry felicitates Iraqi gov't on liberation of Fallujah IRNA 19 Jun 2016 -- Iran's Foreign Ministry congratulated the Iraqi people and government on taking full control of the strategic city of Fallujah in the Western province of al-Anbar.
- Humanitarian Disaster in Fallujah VOA 19 Jun 2016 -- Exhausted, hungry and desperate, 30,000 people have poured out of Fallujah in the past three days as Iraqi forces stormed into the center of the city, pushing Islamic State fighters into the northwest of the city.
- Algerian Special Forces Kill 8 Al-Qaeda Militants in Mountainous Region Sputnik 19 Jun 2016 -- According to countries defense ministry, Algerian security forces carried out a special operation, during which they killed eight members of al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) militant organization in the mountainous Medea province.
- China warns US against meddling on Tibet Press TV 19 Jun 2016 -- China has warned the US against interfering in its internal affairs, following a meeting between US President Barack Obama and Buddhist spiritual leader Dalai Lama.
- S. Sudan Government 'Sees' International Plot Seeking Regime Change VOA 19 Jun 2016 -- South Sudan's information minister says a section of the international community is undermining the government in Juba, by turning civil society groups and public sector workers against the administration. He says it is an effort seeking regime change in the country.
- Three Ukrainian soldiers killed in clashes in troubled east Press TV 19 Jun 2016 -- The Ukrainian military has announced the death of three of its soldiers in new clashes between government troops and pro-Russia forces in the country's troubled east.
- Russian Return To 'Soviet Riviera' Brings Hope, Concern To Breakaway Abkhazia RFE/RL 19 Jun 2016 -- On the evening of April 16, a lawmaker who was battling to prevent Russians from buying property in Georgia's breakaway Abkhazia region stepped out of his car by the decaying Soviet-era port and set off down the palm-lined Black Sea waterfront.
- Erdogan to go ahead with controversial Gezi park redevelopment plans Press TV 19 Jun 2016 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has announced the revival of controversial plans to redevelop a central Istanbul park that sparked major anti-government protests back in 2013.
- India Voices Hopes of Joining Nuclear Suppliers Club by End of 2016 Sputnik 19 Jun 2016 -- India hopes to become member of the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) by the end of 2016, Indian External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj said Sunday.
- India Optimistic of China's Support for Membership in Nuclear Group VOA 19 Jun 2016 -- India is optimistic that China will not block its bid for membership of the Nuclear Supplier Group, the 48 countries controlling nuclear commerce and sensitive technology. With the backing of the United States, India has been lobbying hard before a key meeting in Seoul on June 23 to gain entry into the elite club.
- President Rouhani stresses JCPOA's importance for country's progress IRNA 19 Jun 2016 -- President Hassan Rouhani underlined that Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) has provided different groups of people with opportunities to increase their activities.
- Iran to increase crude supply despite low prices: Minister ISNA 19 Jun 2016 -- Iran's Petroleum Minister Bijan Namdar Zangeneh has reiterated Tehran's determination to increase oil production in the face of a downward spiral of global crude prices.
- Trump Says He Supports 'Profiling' Muslims RFE/RL 19 Jun 2016 -- Donald Trump, the presumptive U.S. presidential nominee for the Republican Party, says the United States should "seriously" consider profiling Muslims in the fight against terrorism.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|