13 June 2016 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 13 Jun 2016 [PDF]
- Counter-ISIL Strikes Hit Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 13 Jun 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 13 Jun 2016 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations in the fight against Daesh
- A backseat view of combat airstrikes AFNS 13 Jun 2016 -- Throughout the month of May, the air coalition has been able to strike lucrative targets including: logistics lines, command and control and Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant financial resources through more than 1,800 strike sorties.
- Afghan soldier killed in exchange of fire along border with Pakistan Press TV 13 Jun 2016 -- At least one Afghan soldier has been killed and more than a dozen people injured in an exchange of fire between border guards of Afghanistan and Pakistan, amid tensions between the two countries over Islamabad's decision to tighten its border controls.
- Over dozen Daesh terrorists slain in eastern Afghanistan Press TV 13 Jun 2016 -- More than a dozen members of the Takfiri Daesh terrorist group have been killed in operations by Afghan security forces against the extremists in the country's eastern province of Nangarhar.
- Border Clashes Between Pakistan and Afghanistan Resume After Brief Cease-Fire VOA 13 Jun 2016 -- Border clashes have resumed between security forces of Pakistan and Afghanistan after a short-lived ceasefire on Monday, officials said.
- The Changing Face Of Kabul: After Years Of Foreign-Fueled Growth, An Uncertain Future RFE/RL 13 Jun 2016 -- On the eastern edge of Kabul is a modern housing development that once embodied everything the city hoped to become as international aid and investment poured into the Afghan economy.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Remarks by Secretary Carter in a Press Gaggle en route to Belgium DoD 13 Jun 2016 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter
- Japan Ground Self-Defense Force, U.S. Marine Corps continue partnership USMC News 13 Jun 2016 -- The partnership between the Japan Ground Self-Defense Force and United States Marine Corps is strong and improving through bilateral exercises and ongoing integration efforts. Large scale examples of our alliance are easily notable, but the core of our relationship exits far beyond that.
- USS Carl Vinson Conducts MV-22 Osprey Flight Operations NNS 13 Jun 2016 -- In preparation for the planned replacement of the C-2 Greyhound, USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70) received a V-22 Osprey from Marine Operational Test and Evaluation Squadron (VMX) 1 for landings and takeoffs, June 12.
- BALTOPS 2016 Enters Final Phase of Operations NNS 13 Jun 2016 -- BALTOPS 2016 shifted into the third and final phase of serialized training operations, June 10.
- Frank Cable Arrives in Puerto Princesa, Philippines for Port Visit NNS 13 Jun 2016 -- Submarine tender USS Frank Cable (AS 40) arrived in Puerto Princesa for a scheduled port visit June 11.
- Mississippi Visits Busan during Western Pacific Deployment NNS 13 Jun 2016 -- Virginia-class fast attack submarine USS Mississippi (SSN 782) arrived at Busan for a routine visit as part of its maiden Indo-Asia-Pacific deployment, June 13.
- USS Dwight D. Eisenhower Carrier Strike Group Enters Mediterranean Sea NNS 13 Jun 2016 -- USS Dwight D. Eisenhower Carrier Strike Group (Ike CSG) entered the Mediterranean Sea June 13, in support of U.S. national security interests in Europe.
- 45th SW supports successful launch AFNS 13 Jun 2016 -- The 45th Space Wing supported United Launch Alliance's successful launch of the NROL-37 spacecraft aboard a United Launch Alliance Delta IV-Heavy rocket from Space Launch Complex 37B here June 11.
- Global nuclear weapons: downsizing but modernizing SIPRI 13 Jun 2016 -- The Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) today launches its annual nuclear forces data, which highlights the current trends and developments in world nuclear arsenals. The data shows that while the overall number of nuclear weapons in the world continues to decline, none of the nuclear weapon-possessing states are prepared to give up their nuclear arsenals for the foreseeable future.
- Report: U.S., Russia Slowly Reducing Nuclear Arsenals RFE/RL 13 Jun 2016 -- A Sweden-based nonproliferation think tank says the world's biggest nuclear powers, the United States and Russia, are slowly reducing their nuclear arsenals but are modernizing their capacities.
- NATO Defence Ministers to pave the way for decisions at the Warsaw Summit NATO 13 Jun 2016 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg briefed media on Monday (13 June 2016) on the agenda of this week's meetings of NATO Defence Ministers. "Over the next two days, we will take a series of important decisions to strengthen our collective defence and enhance our cooperation with partners," said Mr. Stoltenberg. He stressed that these decisions will pave the way for the Warsaw Summit in July.
- Deputy Secretary General stresses the importance of Alliance partnerships NATO 13 Jun 2016 -- In a keynote speech at the International Security Forum in Geneva on Monday (13 June 2016), NATO Deputy Secretary General Alexander Vershbow discussed NATO's response to current security challenges, the agenda for the Warsaw Summit, and the significance the Alliance attaches to partnerships with non-NATO members.
- Baltics, Poland push for more NATO buildup to 'deter Russia' Press TV 13 Jun 2016 -- Leaders in the Baltic countries and Poland fear the force that NATO plans to deploy on their territory is unable to confront Russia.
- NATO Chief Says Four Battalions Going To Baltics, Poland RFE/RL 13 Jun 2016 -- NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg says the military alliance will agree this week to send four multinational battalions to Poland and the Baltic states to boost their defense and show that NATO is "ready to defend any ally."
- NATO Force Integration Unit in Tallinn Operates at Full Capacity - Official Sputnik 13 Jun 2016 -- The opening ceremony of the new headquarters of the NATO Force Integration Units (NFIUs) took place on Monday in the Estonian capital of Tallinn and the NFIU is now ready to operate at full capacity, the Estonian Defense Forces' General Staff said.
- NATO Chief Reveals Buildup in Eastern Europe, Increased Defense Spending Sputnik 13 Jun 2016 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg, has told a meeting of European defense ministers that next month's Warsaw summit will agree four new battalions which will be established in Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia and Poland, as well as an overall increase in defense spending.
- NATO to Send 4 International Battalions to Baltics, Poland VOA 13 Jun 2016 -- NATO will agree to deploy four international battalions to Poland, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania – countries that feel most threatened by Russia, alliance Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said Monday.
- Belarus Holds Military Exercises in Grodno Region Involving 2,100 People Sputnik 13 Jun 2016 -- More than 2,000 servicemen and over 70 units of equipment will take part in the joint drills in Belarus.
- India's MiG-27 Fighter Jet Crashes in Northern Jodhpur, Pilots Survive Sputnik 13 Jun 2016 -- The both pilots ejected safely, the Indian Air Force said.
- S Arabia's weapons imports lead surge in global arms sales: Report Press TV 13 Jun 2016 -- A surge in purchasing weapons by Saudi Arabia helped push global arms sales up more than 10 percent last year, according to annual Global Defense Trade Report.
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 6/13/2016 The White House 13 Jun 2016
- June 13, 2016 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 13 Jun 2016
- DoD News: Contracts for June 11, 2016
- Chinese defense company AircraftEngine Corp of China incorporated in Beijing with 50 billion in registered capital People's Daily 13 Jun 2016 -- With a total registered capital of 50 billion yuan, AircraftEngine Corp of China, the 12th military industrial group of the country, was incorporated in Beijing on May 31, which indicates that the company has made its official debut since it initialized organization in October 2015.
- Russia Expects to Reach $13-Bln Goal on Military Equipment Sales Abroad Sputnik 13 Jun 2016 -- Sales of Russia's state arms exporter Rosoboronexport are strictly in accordance with the schedule, according to Director General Anatoly Isaykin.
- 13 June 2016 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 13 Jun 2016
- UN refugee agency projects resettlement needs at 1.19 million in 2017 UN News 13 Jun 2016 -- With a multitude of conflicts and crises causing record displacement around the world, more than 1.19 million people are projected to be in need of resettlement in 2017, the UN refugee agency said today.
- Iraq arrests over 500 Deash suspects fleeing Fallujah with civilians Press TV 13 Jun 2016 -- Iraqi forces have arrested more than 500 suspected members of the Deash Takfiri terrorist group among civilians fleeing the city of Fallujah.
- Daesh attack kills 5 Iraqi forces in Ramadi Press TV 13 Jun 2016 -- An attack by Daesh Takfiri terrorists has killed five members of security forces in Iraq's western city of Ramadi months after the Takfiri group was purged from the area.
- Daesh executes 19 of own members in Iraq's Fallujah Press TV 13 Jun 2016 -- The Takfiri Daesh terrorist group has killed 19 members of its own for allegedly escaping the battlefields where they were supposed to face off with Iraqi security forces in the city of Fallujah.
- Thousands Flee Fallujah as Iraq Army Secures Safe Exit VOA 13 Jun 2016 -- Thousands of refugees are pouring out of Fallujah through a safe exit corridor secured by the Iraqi army as the fight to retake the city from Islamic State extremists rages into its third week.
- Security Council extends mandate of UN mission in Libya for six months UN News 13 Jun 2016 -- The Security Council today decided to extend until 15 December 2016 the mandate of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL), encouraging the operation to re-establish a permanent presence in the country through a phased return.
- Iran security forces kill 5 terrorists in southeastern province Press TV 13 Jun 2016 -- Iranian security forces have killed five members of the so-called Jaish-ul-Adl terrorist group in the southeastern province of Sistan and Baluchestan, a police spokesman says.
- Car bomb rocks eastern Turkish town, nine injured Press TV 13 Jun 2016 -- A car bomb explosion has hit the Turkish town of Ovacik in the eastern province of Tunceli, injuring several people.
- Kenya assures head of UN refugee agency that rights obligations will be followed for Somali returns UN News 13 Jun 2016 -- On his first visit to Kenya, the chief of the United Nations refugee agency received assurances from the African country that the return of refugees to Somalia would not contravene international obligations.
- Heavy Fighting Reported Along Ethiopia, Eritrea Border VOA 13 Jun 2016 -- The Eritrean Ministry of Information issued a statement Sunday accusing the Ethiopian government of launching a military attack against the country. Ethiopia denies initiating the attack, accusing Eritrean forces of prompting a counterattack by Ethiopia.
- Remarks by the President After Briefing on the Attack in Orlando, Florida The White House 13 Jun 2016
- Obama: No Clear Evidence That Orlando Massacre 'Directed' From Abroad RFE/RL 13 Jun 2016 -- U.S. President Barack Obama says there is "no clear evidence" that a gunman who carried out the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history - killing 49 people at a gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida - was "directed" by a broader extremist organization.
- Islamist Extremism in US Getting Closer Look VOA 13 Jun 2016 -- One day after the worst mass-shooting in U.S. history, this was known about the killer: he supported Islamic State but had no known direct ties; he expressed hatred of gays; his ex-wife accused him of being abusive; and he earlier claimed ties to al-Qaida, prompting the FBI to question him at least twice.
- China promotes unification, condemns Taiwan's new government CNA 13 Jun 2016 -- China has stepped up efforts to promote cross-Taiwan Strait unification after the May 20 inauguration of the new government under Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文), the head of Taiwan's Overseas Community Affairs Commission said Monday.
- DRC Opposition Unites Against President Kabila VOA 13 Jun 2016 -- Leading opposition parties in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) say they have organized themselves under one umbrella called "Rassemblement" or "Rally" to force President Joseph Kabila to leave power.
- N Korea Hackers Steal Wing Blueprints for US F-15 Fighters Sputnik 13 Jun 2016 -- Pyongyang hackers stole defense documents including US F-15 fighter jet designs in the latest of its cyberattacks on Seoul, media reported Monday, citing the South Korean police.
- Explainer: What's Behind Russia's Problem With Soccer Hooligans? RFE/RL 13 Jun 2016 -- Shocking footage from the French stadium after a 1-1 soccer draw between England and Russia on June 11 showed Russian fans storming a section full of England fans, raining down kicks and punches as England supporters fled. It was just the latest instance of fan violence in Marseille involving the English and Russians that marred the opening stages of the 2016 European Championship.
- Israeli, Turkish Officials say They are Close to Repairing Relations VOA 13 Jun 2016 -- Turkish and Israeli ministers say they are close to mending relations that were severely strained after the 2010 killing of nine Turkish activists on a boat seeking to break Israel's economic blockade of Gaza.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|