12 June 2016 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Military Strikes Continue Against ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 12 Jun 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Iraq and Syria yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
Defense Policy / Programs
- British warships breaking down in Persian Gulf heat Press TV 12 Jun 2016 -- A number of UK warships deployed to the Persian Gulf are constantly breaking down since they cannot cope with the warm waters, some members of the British Parliament have revealed.
- 'US-Japan-India to cause frictions in East China Sea' Press TV 12 Jun 2016 -- Joint war games by the US, Japan and India near the East China Sea are likely to "create frictions" in the disputed waters, a Chinese military expert says.
- Political, military balance shifting in favor of Assad, Syrians: Iran Press TV 12 Jun 2016 -- The political situation in Syria is changing in favor of the Arab country's government and nation, says a senior adviser to Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei.
- Riyadh, Ankara, Doha behind massacre of Syria civilian: Syrian PM Press TV 12 Jun 2016 -- Syrian Prime Minister Wael al-Halqi has held Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and Qatar responsible for the "brutal massacres" of civilians across his country.
- Iraq army secures 'relatively safe' exit route out of Fallujah Press TV 12 Jun 2016 -- Iraq's army has secured the first "relatively safe" exit route for civilians attempting to flee the city of Fallujah amid operations by the government forces to retake key areas from the Daesh Takfiri terrorists.
- Iraqi forces retake village near Mosul from Daesh Press TV 12 Jun 2016 -- Iraqi troops have managed to retake a village south of the Daesh-held city of Mosul as their liberation operations continue in the area.
- Iraq calls for clarity after Saudi Arabia admits fundraising for Daesh Press TV 12 Jun 2016 -- Iraq has called on Saudi Arabia for explanation after a senior official admitted fundraising in the kingdom for Daesh terrorists fighting in the Iraqi city of Fallujah.
- Gadhafi's Hometown Grabbed Back From Islamic State VOA 12 Jun 2016 -- Libya's U.N.-negotiated unity government is claiming an offensive that's close to driving Islamic State militants from the coastal city of Sirte is evidence it is making progress at last in establishing its credibility.
- Daesh terrorists attack Libyan forces in Sirte Press TV 12 Jun 2016 -- The Daesh Takfiri terrorists have targeted Libyan forces with a series of car bombs in the port city of Sirte, killing at least one paramedic.
- Nigeria agrees to Cameroon's return of 80,000 refugees Press TV 12 Jun 2016 -- The Nigerian government says it has agreed to Cameroon's return of some 80,000 Nigerian citizens who fled the country following the insurgency by the Boko Haram Takfiri terrorist group.
- Powerful Bomb Blast Rocks Lebanon's Capital VOA 12 Jun 2016 -- A powerful bomb blast ripped through a commercial area of Beirut, Lebanon Sunday, severely damaging one of the country's largest banks. There were no immediate reports of casualties.
- Remarks by the President on Mass Shooting in Orlando The White House 12 Jun 2016
- 50 Killed In Florida Club Shooting RFE/RL 12 Jun 2016 -- A gunman has killed 50 people overnight at a gay nightclub in Florida before being killed by police in the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history.
- 50 Dead in Florida Gay Club Shooting VOA 12 Jun 2016 -- A gunman behind the killing of 50 people in an Orlando, Florida, nightclub early Sunday has been identified as Omar Saddiqui Mateen, a U.S. citizen of Afghan descent who the FBI said committed a crime that is being investigated as an "act of terrorism."
- Zarif: JCPOA reached thanks to Supreme Leader guidelines, people resistance IRNA 12 Jun 2016 -- Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said here on Sunday that the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) has been reached thanks to the guidelines of the Supreme Leader of Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei and people's resistance and prayers.
- Larijani: Certain countries seeking to sabotage nuclear deal IRNA 12 Jun 2016 -- Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani said certain countries are trying to sabotage the nuclear agreement signed between Iran and six world countries.
- Taiwan Bars Pro-China Ex-President from Hong Kong Visit VOA 12 Jun 2016 -- Taiwan's China-suspicious government has barred former president Ma Ying-jeou from a visit to Hong Kong, citing security reasons and too little contact with authorities on the other side.
- More Than 5,000 Arrested in Bangladesh Sweep VOA 12 Jun 2016 -- Police in Bangladesh say they have arrested more than 5,000 criminal suspects in the first three days of a nationwide sweep in response to a rash of extremist violence against religious minorities and secular activists.
- Aquino Warns Filipinos About the Incoming President VOA 12 Jun 2016 -- The Philippines outgoing president has cautioned his fellow citizens to be avid about defending their freedoms and democracy as a new hardline president is set to take office.
- No Recall Vote Before Next Year, Venezuela's Maduro Insists VOA 12 Jun 2016 -- Embattled Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro says no recall referendum against him will take place before 2017 at the earliest, as he seeks to stall a growing opposition push to hold a vote this year.
- Venezuela president rules out referendum in 2016 Press TV 12 Jun 2016 -- Venezuela's President Nicolas Maduro has ruled out a potential recall referendum on his ouster from power anytime sooner than 2017, rejecting opposition demands to hold the referendum this year.
- Haiti: UN envoy urges political actors to maintain constructive approach ahead of National Assembly UN News 12 Jun 2016 -- The Special Representative of the United Nations Secretary-General for Haiti has urged all Haitian actors to maintain a constructive approach in the country's electoral process.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|