11 June 2016 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Coalition Strikes Hit ISIL Targets in Iraq, Syria AFPS 11 Jun 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Iraq and Syria yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- US military admits bombing Pentagon-trained militants in Syria Press TV 11 Jun 2016 -- The US military has acknowledged bombing a Syrian militant unit it had trained and armed purportedly to fight Daesh terrorists in the country, a report says.
- US Airstrike Against Daesh in Syria Kills Members of Friendly Militia Sputnik 11 Jun 2016 -- US forces bombed a Syrian unit it had trained during late May airstrikes in Syria, The Wall Street Journal reports.
- Afghan District Police Chief Among 6 Killed in IS Attack VOA 11 Jun 2016 -- Afghan officials said Islamic State militants have killed at least six security forces, including a district police chief, in a predawn attack in eastern Afghanistan.
- Taliban Belittles Plan for Broader US Military Role in Afghanistan VOA 11 Jun 2016 -- Afghanistan's Taliban has condemned as "futile" new U.S. plans to increase airstrikes against the Islamist insurgency and to deploy of American soldiers to the battlefield when necessary.
- 'Al-Qaeda leader Zawahiri pledges allegiance to new Taliban chief' Press TV 11 Jun 2016 -- The leader of the al-Qaeda terrorist group, Ayman al-Zawahiri, has reportedly pledged allegiance to the new Taliban leader in Afghanistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Ford Achieves Important Milestone NNS 11 Jun 2016 -- Pre-Commissioning Unit Gerald R. Ford (CVN 78) completed its turn ship evolution June 11. This is a major milestone that brings the country's newest nuclear powered aircraft carrier another step closer to delivery and commissioning later this year.
- NATO begins Latvian stage of military drills in Baltic region Press TV 11 Jun 2016 -- Member nations of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) have started a new phase of their International military drills in the Baltic states amid persisting tensions with Moscow.
- Latvian Stage of NATO International Drills in Baltics Kicks Off Sputnik 11 Jun 2016 -- International military exercises held by NATO countries in the Baltic countries began on Saturday in Latvia, local media reported.
- Rear Admiral Pleads Guilty in Bribery Scheme That Exposed US Navy Secrets Sputnik 11 Jun 2016 -- US Navy Rear Admiral Robert Gilbeau admitted to lying to federal investigators, destroying evidence, and deleting computer files in connection to a probe into a wide-ranging bribery and fraud scheme.
- Turkish FM Vows Further Expansion of NATO Defense Shield Sputnik 11 Jun 2016 -- Romania, Poland, and Turkey have all agreed that NATO's installation of missile defense systems in Eastern Europe is necessary, in light of what they consider to be "Russia's aggressive attitude."
- Russian Top Secret Hypersonic Glider Can Penetrate Any Missile Defense Sputnik 11 Jun 2016 -- Russia's new Yu-74 ultra-maneuverable hypersonic glide vehicles may become yet another response to the deployment of NATO's missile installations in Eastern Europe, according to military analysts.
- Syrian Army Advances towards Raqqa IRNA 11 Jun 2016 -- Syrian army units are advancing towards Raqqa, IRNA correspondent in the region said on Saturday.
- 1000s trapped in Daesh-held Manbij in northern Syria Press TV 11 Jun 2016 -- Tens of thousands of Syrian civilians have been trapped in the Daesh-held northern city of Manbij which is encircled by Kurdish and Arab fighters.
- Syria forces retake key junction leading to Daesh-held Raqqah Press TV 11 Jun 2016 -- The Syrian army and allied forces have wrested control of a strategic crossroads leading to the northern city of Raqqah, the Daesh Takfiri terror group's main stronghold.
- The Fall of Manbij: Kurds, Democratic Forces Poised to Liberate Syrian City Sputnik 11 Jun 2016 -- Kurdish forces are ready to enter the northern Syrian city of Manbij in Aleppo province at any time, Adnan Ebu Emced, commander of the units of the Manbij Military Council, told Sputnik.
- Syrian Forces Sever Main Daesh Route Into Turkey Sputnik 11 Jun 2016 -- In the fight against Daesh, also known as IS/Islamic State, Syrian forces have cut off a major road that the terrorists group used to access Turkey.
- Iraqi Government Forces Continue Battle to Retake Fallujah VOA 11 Jun 2016 -- Iraqi government forces met heavy resistance from Islamic State militants in their weeks-old offensive to retake the Anbar provincial town of Fallujah. Two suicide attacks also hit a revered Shi'ite shrine in Damascus.
- Libya's unity government recaptures Daesh stronghold of Sirte Press TV 11 Jun 2016 -- Forces loyal to Libya's unity government say they have taken back the country's northern port city of Sirte from the Daesh Takfiri group in a major offensive against terrorists in the North African country.
- Libya's Pro-government Forces Set to Declare Victory in Sirte VOA 11 Jun 2016 -- Pro-government Libyan forces battled the last remaining Islamic State fighters in the center of the Libyan port city of Sirte early Saturday, with a spokesman saying top IS leaders had fled into the desert to avoid the onslaught.
- Turkish warplanes kill 13 PKK militants in southeast Press TV 11 Jun 2016 -- Turkish warplanes have conducted fresh airstrikes against the positions of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), killing 13 militants of the group in the southeastern province of Diyarbakir.
- Ukraine's Savchenko: Without Peace, The War 'Will Last Forever' RFE/RL 11 Jun 2016 -- Since her release from Russian captivity last month after nearly two years, Ukrainian airwoman Nadia Savchenko has called for talks with Russia-backed separatists about the war in eastern Ukraine and further prisoner exchanges.
- Al-Shabab Says Executed More of Its Own in Somalia VOA 11 Jun 2016 -- Al-Shabab militants in Somalia say they have executed two of their members, both of them recruited from Kenya, for disloyalty and anti-Islamic activities.
- Canadian Court Orders Iranian Assets Handed To Attack Victims RFE/RL 11 Jun 2016 -- A Canadian judge has ordered that Iranian assets be handed over to victims of attacks by Hamas and Hizballah, groups sponsored by Tehran.
- South Korean Military Shuts Down Chinese Illegal Fishing, Navy on Alert Sputnik 11 Jun 2016 -- South Korea launched a military patrol to repel Chinese fishing boats illegally fishing in neutral waters close to an area of the Yellow Sea disputed by North and South Korea.
- Iraq's Sadr warns of 'million-man' demo after Ramadan Press TV 11 Jun 2016 -- Senior Iraqi cleric Muqtada al-Sadr has called for a halt to anti-government protests during Ramadan but warned that a "million-man" demonstration would be held after the Muslim holy month ends.
- More than 2,500 Suspected Militants Arrested in Bangladesh VOA 11 Jun 2016 -- Bangladesh authorities said they arrested 37 suspected jihadists Saturday as part of a nationwide crackdown following a series of deadly attacks on minorities and secular activists.
- Venezuela lets anti-Maduro referendum advance Press TV 11 Jun 2016 -- Venezuelan authorities have announced the next stage of a recall referendum against President Nicolas Maduro in an olive branch to protesters.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|