07 June 2016 Military News
- Military Strikes Continue Against ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 07 Jun 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Iraq and Syria yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Wheels up: Hill shop improves F-35 tire change process AFNS 07 Jun 2016 -- For years, the wheel shop at Hill Air Force Base has disassembled, inspected, repaired, built, and delivered reliable tires and wheels for F-16 Fighting Falcons. That reliability and 24-hour turnaround service will remain intact as the base's operational mission transitions to the F-35A Lightning II.
- Chinese jet intercepts US plane in unsafe manner: Officials Press TV 07 Jun 2016 -- A Chinese J-10 fighter jet has intercepted a US plane flying over the East China Sea in an "unsafe manner," US officials say.
- Xi stresses employment of demobilized military officers People's Daily 07 Jun 2016 -- President Xi Jinpingunderscored that the duty of providing demobilized military officers with civilian jobs was a political task, and was closely linked to national defense and military reform.
- Int'l SOS to provide emergency aid service for Chinese navy People's Daily 07 Jun 2016 -- The Chinese Navy has reached an agreement with the International SOS and Beijing Red Cross for the two agencies to provide emergency medical services for sick or wounded soldiers.
- Difficult to set defense budget at 3% of GDP: premier CNA 07 Jun 2016 -- Taiwan's current financial situation would make it difficult to reach the government's target of allocating 3 percent of the gross national product (GDP) to national defense, Premier Lin Chuan (林全) said Tuesday.
- President demands stricter discipline for Military Police CNA 07 Jun 2016 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) demanded stricter discipline for the Military Police when she inspected the unit that guards the capital city Tuesday.
- Press Availability in Beijing, China US Dept. of State 07 Jun 2016 -- Press Availability by John Kerry, Secretary of State
- June 7, 2016 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 07 Jun 2016
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 6/7/16 The White House 07 Jun 2016
- 7 June 2016 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 07 Jun 2016
- Don't take sides in South China Sea row: Beijing to Washington Press TV 07 Jun 2016 -- China has called on the United States to avoid taking sides in the South China Sea dispute and instead play a positive role in preserving peace in the disputed region.
- Taiwan not sending ammunition to Taiping Island: defense minister CNA 07 Jun 2016 -- Defense Minister Feng Shih-kuan (馮世寬) said Tuesday that the military will ship ammunition to the Pratas Islands and not Taiping Island in the Spratly archipelago.
- Syria's Assad Vows Victory Against Outside Foes VOA 07 Jun 2016 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad on Tuesday reiterated his pledge to defeat Islamic terrorists and their supporters and to quash what he claims are the destabilizing goals of neighboring Turkey.
- Civilians fleeing Fallujah 'facing double jeopardy' - UN rights chief UN News 07 Jun 2016 -- The United Nations human rights chief today urged the Iraqi Government to take immediate measures to ensure that all people fleeing the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL)-occupied city of Fallujah are treated in strict accordance with international human rights and international humanitarian laws.
- Calls Grow for Libya's Unity Government to Improve Services VOA 07 Jun 2016 -- Militias backing the U.N.-negotiated unity government in Libya are making progress on the battlefield against Islamic State militants, but the Government of National Accord is making little progress in establishing its authority in Libya's east.
- Boko Haram attack forces 50,000 to flee Niger town Press TV 07 Jun 2016 -- Tens of thousands of people have fled a town in the troubled southeastern Niger following deadly attacks by Takfiri Boko Haram terrorist group, the UN refugee agency says.
- Thousands continue to flee Boko Haram attacks on Niger town - UN refugee agency UN News 07 Jun 2016 -- Tens of thousands of people have fled their homes in south-east Niger following near back-to-back attacks since this past Friday by Boko Haram insurgents on the town of Bosso in the troubled Diffa region, the United Nations refugee agency said today.
- UNHCR: Thousands Flee Boko Haram in Niger VOA 07 Jun 2016 -- In the wake of escalating attacks by Boko Haram militants, tens of thousands of people in southeast Niger have been forced to flee their homes, according to the United Nations refugee agency.
- North Korean Diplomats Use Immunity for Money-making Scheme VOA 07 Jun 2016 -- North Korean diplomats in Pakistan caught selling liquor illegally are continuing the illicit activity by using their immunity status, multiple sources familiar with the subject said.
- UN human rights expert deplores sentencing of Tajikistan opposition leaders UN News 07 Jun 2016 -- A United Nations human rights expert today expressed dismay at the lengthy sentences imposed last week on the leadership of the Islamic Renaissance Party of Tajikistan (IRPT).
- Kazakh Authorities Still Chasing Suspects In Aqtobe Attacks RFE/RL 07 Jun 2016 -- Kazakh authorities are still searching for at least six surviving suspects after deadly weekend attacks in western Kazakhstan that left 19 people dead and dozens more injured.
- Putin Preaches Free-Press Gospel At State-Run Media Forum RFE/RL 07 Jun 2016 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has told a media forum in Moscow that information should not be subject to "repressive actions," comments that come amid mounting signs that his government is stepping up efforts to curtail dissenting voices in the Russian media.
- Erdogan Signs Law Stripping Turkish Lawmakers Of Immunity RFE/RL 07 Jun 2016 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has signed a bill into law that lifts the parliamentary immunity of lawmakers.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|