06 June 2016 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Coalition Strikes Hit ISIL Targets in Iraq, Syria AFPS 06 Jun 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Iraq and Syria yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Press Secretary: Carter Wants to Push Harder in Counter-ISIL Effort AFPS 06 Jun 2016 -- Though significant progress that is being achieved, Defense Secretary Ash Carter wants to push harder in the campaign to defeat the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook told reporters today.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 06 Jun 2016 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations in the fight against Daesh
Defense Policy / Programs
- Department of Defense Press Briefing by Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook in the Pentagon Briefing Room DoD 06 Jun 2016 -- Presenter: Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook
- Carter 'Remains Optimistic' About Defense Spending Bill, Spokesman Says AFPS 06 Jun 2016 -- Defense Secretary Ash Carter "remains optimistic" that Congress will pass a defense spending bill the Defense Department will support, Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook said today.
- Marines, Jordanians conclude Eager Lion 16 with final exercise USMC News 06 Jun 2016 -- Marines with 1st Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division and the Jordanian 77th Marines Battalion concluded their training period together with a final exercise as part of Eager Lion 16 in Al Quweyrah, Jordan, May 24, 2016.
- USS Porter Enters Black Sea NNS 06 Jun 2016 -- USS Porter (DDG 78) entered the Black Sea, June 6, in order to conduct maritime security operations with allies and partners in the region during a routine deployment.
- Future USNS Carson City (EPF 7) Completes Acceptance Trials NNS 06 Jun 2016 -- Future USNS Carson City (EPF 7) successfully completed acceptance trials during an underway period in the Gulf of Mexico, May 25-26.
- USS Monsoon Receives 2015 Marjorie Sterrett Battleship Fund Award NNS 06 Jun 2016 -- Coastal patrol ship USS Monsoon (PC 4) earned the 2015 Marjorie Sterrett Battleship Fund Award for its superior performance, battle efficiency, and ship's readiness in U.S. Atlantic Fleet, May 31.
- Ike Carrier Strike Group Departs on Deployment NNS 06 Jun 2016 -- Dwight D. Eisenhower Carrier Strike Group (Ike CSG) departed for a regularly scheduled deployment, June 1.
- USS Frank Cable Deploys To Support Fleet in Indo-Asia-Pacific Region NNS 06 Jun 2016 -- More than 500 Sailors and civilian mariners aboard submarine tender USS Frank Cable (AS 40) departed from Naval Base Guam on its first deployment in more than 14 years in the Indo-Asia-Pacific region, June 6.
- China Holds No Military Ambitions: Chinese Military People's Daily 06 Jun 2016 -- China is not seeking military domination, and the country's per capita national military expenditure is far lower than that of other countries such as the U.S, the UK or Japan, according to a senior Chinese military official.
- UN-backed report finds increase in international transfers of small arms UN News 06 Jun 2016 -- Germany, the United Kingdom and the Netherlands are the most transparent top and major small arms exporters, a new report backed by the United Nations has found.
- June 6, 2016 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 06 Jun 2016
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 6/6/2016 The White House 06 Jun 2016
- 6 June 2016 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 06 Jun 2016
- Unity at the core of global peace and security, top EU official tells Security Council UN News 06 Jun 2016 -- In order to face and overcome the various political and humanitarian crises occurring around the world, working together in a spirit of cooperation and multilateralism must be a priority for both the United Nations and the European Union (EU) – and indeed, all countries worldwide – a top EU official told the Security Council today.
- Presidential Office urges peace in South China Sea CNA 06 Jun 2016 -- Taiwan's government believes that claimants to territory in the South China Sea should justify their claims based on international law and the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea, Presidential Office spokesman Alex Huang (黃重諺) said Monday.
- Taiwan will reject any ADIZ by China over South China Sea: minister CNA 06 Jun 2016 -- Defense Minister Feng Shih-kuan (馮世寬) said Monday that Taiwan will not recognize any designation of an air defense identification zone (ADIZ) which Beijing would reportedly establish over the South China Sea.
- Yemen: Ban removes Saudi-led coalition from report on conflict-affected children, pending joint review UN News 06 Jun 2016 -- In the wake of the release of his latest report on the situation of 'Children in Armed Conflict,' United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has accepted a proposal by Saudi Arabia that the United Nations and the Saudi-led Coalition in Yemen review jointly the cases and numbers cited in the text.
- Firm line taken on the South China Sea dispute People's Daily 06 Jun 2016 -- Beijing will not sit by and see several countries throwing the South China Sea into chaos, the head of China's delegation to a high-profile intergovernmental security forum said on Sunday.
- Syria crisis has no military solution: Deputy FM IRNA 06 Jun 2016 -- Syria crisis has no military solution and the Syrian people themselves should decide their future, Deputy Foreign Minister for Arab and African Affairs Hossein Amir Abdollahian said on Sunday.
- UN and partners in 'race against time' to provide life-saving assistance to people fleeing Fallujah UN News 06 Jun 2016 -- The United Nations and partners today warned they are "in a race against time" to provide life-saving assistance to people fleeing escalating violence in Anbar, particularly around the battle for Fallujah, while the UN envoy for Iraq reiterated his call to ensure civilians have unhindered access to medical facilities and humanitarian assistance.
- Report: IS Shooting Civilians Fleeing From Fallujah VOA 06 Jun 2016 -- Islamist extremists in Iraq are shooting and killing civilians as they attempt to flee fighting between the Islamic State group and Iraqi government forces in the city of Fallujah, the Norwegian Refugee Council said.
- Libya must have functioning government to end 'tragic' humanitarian situation, Security Council told UN News 06 Jun 2016 -- The top United Nations official for Libya today told the Security Council about the "tragic" humanitarian situation there, underlining that "personal tragedies and collective suffering" are the consequence of the continued lack of State authority in most parts of the North African country.
- UK peacekeepers arrive in South Sudan UK MOD 06 Jun 2016 -- The first UK Armed Forces personnel have arrived in South Sudan to support peacekeeping operations, the Defence Secretary has announced.
- DR Congo: Backing political dialogue, UN and partners urge 'spirit of responsibility' among stakeholders UN News 06 Jun 2016 -- Four international organizations, including the United Nations, today reaffirmed their support to the political dialogue in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and called on all Congolese stakeholders to work towards its successful holding.
- Attacks by Boko Haram continue in Niger's Diffa region, forcing more people to flee - UN UN News 06 Jun 2016 -- People living in the region of Diffa in Niger continue to be affected by insecurity related to activities by the terrorist group Boko Haram around the Lake Chad, according to reports by the United Nations relief wing.
- Spokesman:US report on Iran 'politicized', 'invalid' IRNA 06 Jun 2016 -- Foreign Ministry Spokesman Hossein Jaberi Ansari said here on Monday that the US recent report on Iran is 'politicized' and 'invalid' due to lack of the most obvious facts.
- Amano: Iran fully committed to JCPOA IRNA 06 Jun 2016 -- Director-General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Yukiya Amano said here on Monday that Iran is fully committed to implement the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) under the United Nations Security Council Resolution 2231.
- Kazakh 'Counterterror Operation' Continues After Deadly Attacks In Aqtobe RFE/RL 06 Jun 2016 -- Authorities in northwestern Kazakhstan are enforcing closures and asking residents to remain home as security operations continue following deadly attacks that spilled into the streets.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|