22 May 2016 Military News
- Coalition Strikes Hit ISIL Terrorists in Iraq, Syria AFPS 22 May 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Iraq and Syria yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Centcom Commander Visits Iraq and Syria AFPS 22 May 2016 -- Over the past two days, during Army Gen. Joseph L. Votel's latest trip to the Middle East, the U.S. Central Command chief met in Iraq and Syria with coalition members, other partners, senior commanders and military leaders to discuss operations and continued collaboration there.
- Afghan Taliban top leader Mullah Mansoor reportedly killed in Pakistan People's Daily 22 May 2016 -- Afghan Taliban top leader Mullah Akhtar Mansoor was reportedly killed by a U.S. drone strike launched at a small town in Pakistan's southwest province of Balochistan along the Pak-Afghan border, reported local Urdu TV channel ARY on Sunday.
- Mullah Akhtar Mansour killed in drone attack: Taliban Press TV 22 May 2016 -- The Afghan Taliban militant group has confirmed reports that its leader Mullah Akhtar Mohammad Mansour was killed in a US assassination drone strike against Pakistan's conflict-ridden southern province of Balochistan.
- Death Showcases Afghan Taliban Leader's Iran Connection RFE/RL 22 May 2016 -- The likely killing of Taliban leader Mullah Akhtar Mohammad Mansur in a U.S. drone strike in southwestern Pakistan has attracted attention to Islamabad and its longstanding covert alliance with the Afghan Taliban.
- Afghan Intel: Afghan Taliban Leader Killed in US Drone Strike VOA 22 May 2016 -- The Afghan intelligence agency confirmed that Taliban leader Mullah Akhtar Mansoor was killed in a U.S. airstrike in Pakistan near the Afghan border.
- Kerry: Pakistani Leader Informed of Airstrike on Taliban Leader Mansour Sputnik 22 May 2016 -- Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif was informed of a drone strike on its territory that targeted the leader of neighboring Afghanistan's Taliban insurgency, US State Secretary John Kerry said Sunday.
- Who Will Lead the Taliban Now? VOA 22 May 2016 -- Mullah Akhtar Mansoor was formally named leader of the Taliban in July 2015, shortly after the militant group disclosed that founder Mullah Omar had died two years prior.
- Pakistan slams US drone strike reportedly killing Taliban chief Press TV 22 May 2016 -- Pakistan has denounced the US drone strike believed to have killed the Afghan Taliban chief Mullah Akhtar Mansour.
- Afghan Intelligence Confirms Death of Taliban Leader Mansour in US Strike Sputnik 22 May 2016 -- The Afghan spy agency confirmed Sunday that Taliban leader Mullah Mansour was killed after a US drone strike in southwestern Pakistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Warning Of War, Ex-Deputy Commander Says NATO Must Counter 'Russian Adventurism' In Baltics RFE/RL 22 May 2016 -- A former NATO deputy supreme commander is warning that the alliance could find itself in a full-fledged armed conflict with Russia within a year if it does not strongly step up its presence in the Baltic states.
- Alliance Divided: NATO Members at Odds Over Restoring Dialogue With Russia Sputnik 22 May 2016 -- Divisions are growing among NATO country members over the need to restore dialogue with Russia, an article in Financial Times read. Concerns are growing that the standoff between Moscow and the West is getting out of control.
- Obama in Vietnam, Facing Pressure to Lift Arms Embargo VOA 22 May 2016 -- Forty-one years after the end of one of the most divisive wars in American history, experts say ties between the U.S. and Vietnam have never been closer.
- Beit-ol-Moqaddas-28 military drills begin in central Iran IRNA 22 May 2016 -- Beit-ol-Moqaddas-28 military exercise started on Sunday in two provincial regions in cnetral Iran during a ceremony attended by Commander of the Iranian Army's Ground Forces Brigadier General Ahmad Reza Pourdastan.
- Beit-ol-Moqaddas-28 drills convey message of peace to region: Comdr IRNA 22 May 2016 -- Commander of the Ground Force of the Iranian Army Brigadier General Ahmad Reza Pourdastan said in this central province on Sunday that Beit-oul-Moqaddas-28 military drills convey a message of peace and friendship for the regional countries.
- Iran Army prepared to repel enemies: Commander Press TV 22 May 2016 -- A senior Iranian military commander says the Armed Forces of the Islamic Republic are fully prepared to counter any act of aggression by enemies.
- Iran test-fires artillery rockets in missile drill Press TV 22 May 2016 -- The Iranian Army's Ground Forces have successfully test-fired a number of rockets during a major maneuver in the central parts of the Islamic Republic.
- Iran Successfully Test-Fires 2 Ballistic Missiles During Drills Sputnik 22 May 2016 -- The Iranian military has successfully carried out launches of two short-range ballistic missiles during ground forces exercises, local media reported Sunday.
- Germany's Bundeswehr Concealed Shortcomings With Jets' Production For Years Sputnik 22 May 2016 -- The German Ministry of Defense knew about the violations in the production of the Airbus A400M transport aircraft for several years, but has done little to improve the situation, German magazine Der Spiegel reported, referring to internal Bundeswehr documents.
- Money Trouble: German Bundeswehr Can't Afford New Tanks Sputnik 22 May 2016 -- The German Bundeswehr is short of funds to buy an advanced tactical missile defense system and an additional number of Leopard-2 tanks, according to an internal Defense Ministry document obtained by the daily newspaper Bild.
- Libya Asks for EU Assistance in Coast Guard, Naval Forces Training Sputnik 22 May 2016 -- According to EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini's statement, Libyan authorities have requested EU assistance in the training of employees of the Coast Guard and the country's naval forces.
- UK Defense Ministry Rejects Reports on London's Support for Pan-EU Army Sputnik 22 May 2016 -- The UK Defense Ministry rejected on Sunday media reports on alleged London's plans to support an EU Army, according to a statement published on the ministry's website.
- China, Thailand start joint military exercise People's Daily 22 May 2016 -- Thai and Chinese marine corps held an opening ceremony for a joint military exercise codenamed Blue Strike 2016 here on Saturday.
- Armenia Army Conduct Drills on Basis of April's Hostilities in Karabakh Sputnik 22 May 2016 -- The Armed Forces of Armenia have conducted drills based on episodes and details of fighting in the disputed Karabakh region in early April, the country's Defense Ministry said in a statement on Sunday.
- Joint Press Availability With Burmese Foreign Minister Daw Aung San Suu Kyi US Dept. of State 22 May 2016 -- Press Availability by John Kerry, Secretary of State
- Yemeni President Ready to Resume Settlement Talks Sputnik 22 May 2016 -- Yemeni President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi confirmed his readiness to bring the government delegation back to the negotiation table of the talks aimed at reaching peace in the country, UN press service said in a statement.
- Hadi delegation to rejoin Yemen peace talks: UN envoy Press TV 22 May 2016 -- The UN special envoy for Yemen says representatives of the former president, Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, will come back to negotiations aimed at putting an end to the conflict gripping the Arabian Peninsula country.
- Egypt military kills over 58 militants across Sinai in three days Press TV 22 May 2016 -- Egyptian security forces have conducted a series of fresh raids against the hideouts of militants in the North African country's restive Sinai Peninsula, killing at least 58 terrorists over three days.
- Syria militants threaten to abandon ceasefire agreement Press TV 22 May 2016 -- Syria's militant groups have threatened to stop abiding by a cessation of hostilities deal unless Syrian government forces ends targeting terrorist positions near the capital, Damascus, within 48 hours.
- Iraq Begins Attack on IS-Held Fallujah VOA 22 May 2016 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi on Monday announced the start of a military operation to retake the city of Fallujah, held by the Islamic State group for more than two years.
- Iraqi premier orders 'liberalization' of Fallujah from Daesh Press TV 22 May 2016 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi informs the Iraqi nation of the beginning of a process for the "liberation" of the Daesh-held Fallujah city.
- Iraq army prepares for Fallujah recapture, urges residents to leave Press TV 22 May 2016 -- The Iraqi army has been preparing to retake the control of the strategic city of Fallujah in Anbar province from the Takfiri Daesh group, asking residents to leave the area before the operation begins.
- Somalian Army Kills Senior Al-Shabaab Leader Sputnik 22 May 2016 -- The Somali Armed Forces killed one of the leaders of al-Shabaab militant group near southwestern country's city of Xuddur, local media reported.
- Referendum To Tighten Grip On Power Of Tajik Leader RFE/RL 22 May 2016 -- Voting has ended in Tajikistan's referendum on amendments to the constitution. (...) The amendments are expected to strengthen the grip on power of President Emomali Rahmon.
- Turkey new PM to place more power in Erdogan's hands RFE/RL 22 May 2016 -- Turkey's newly-elected prime minister plans to place more power in President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's hands by switching from the existing parliamentary system to an executive presidential system.
- Erdogan Ally Set to Become New Turkish PM VOA 22 May 2016 -- In Turkey, a close ally of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has been selected leader of the country's ruling party, becoming the presumptive prime minister. The move is seen as the latest step by the president to consolidate his grip on power and his bid to turn Turkey into an executive presidency.
- President Tsai urges U.S. support for Taiwan's TPP bid CNA 22 May 2016 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) on Sunday urged the United States to support Taiwan's bid for the U.S.-led trade bloc Trans-Pacific Partnership.
- Kerry Urges More Reforms During Visit to Myanmar VOA 22 May 2016 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry has hailed Myanmar's transition to democracy, but urged its new civilian led government to continue its work on implementing key reforms meant to improve developments and human rights.
- Some 4,300 Officials Reprimanded for Misconduct in China in April Sputnik 22 May 2016 -- The ruling Communist Party of China (CPC) reprimanded 4,300 officials last month for disciplinary violations, the CPC's Central Commission for Discipline Inspection (CCDI) said in a statement on its website Sunday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|