08 May 2016 Military News
- Military Strikes Continue Against ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 08 May 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Iraq yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Six Taliban militants executed by Afghan government Press TV 08 May 2016 -- The Afghan government has executed six Taliban prisoners as part of a crackdown on the militant group under the country's President Ashraf Ghani.
- Six Taliban Inmates Executed In Kabul Prison RFE/RL 08 May 2016 -- Afghan officials say six Taliban prisoners on death row were hanged on May 8 in the first set of executions endorsed by President Ashraf Ghani since he took office in 2014.
- Afghanistan Executes 6 Terror Convicts VOA 08 May 2016 -- Authorities in Afghanistan hanged six men on death row who were convicted of "grave crimes against civilians and public security."
Defense Policy / Programs
- Senators lobby US admin. to sell PG Arab states jet fighters Press TV 08 May 2016 -- A number of US senators have been building up pressure on the administration of President Barack Obama to approve a major sale of jet fighters to some Persian Gulf Arab states.
- Iran Navy to be equipped with Phalanx system ISNA 08 May 2016 -- Iranian Navy will have a local version of the Phalanx, a close Weapon System (CIWS) on military ships.
- Saudi airstrikes kill 7 in Yemen north Press TV 08 May 2016 -- Saudi warplanes have carried out a fresh wave of air attacks on civilian areas in Yemen despite international warnings about deteriorating humanitarian crisis.
- US deploys over 200 soldiers in S Yemen, stations assault ship Press TV 08 May 2016 -- The United States military has deployed more than 200 US Marines in the port city of Mukalla in the central province of Hadramout, Yemeni media say.
- Armenia, Azerbaijan forces resume fire Press TV 08 May 2016 -- Armenia and the Republic of Azerbaijan have reportedly resumed fire in violation of a ceasefire that had ended deadly clashes in the disputed Caucasus region of Karabakh last month.
- Turkish shelling in Syria's Aleppo kills 55 Daesh terrorists: Officials Press TV 08 May 2016 -- Turkish authorities say the country's forces have killed at least 55 Daesh terrorists in the northwestern Syrian province of Aleppo.
- Syrian army, allies set to liberate northern town of Khan Tuman Press TV 08 May 2016 -- Syrian government forces, backed by advisors from Iran, Iraq and Lebanon, are preparing to launch a large-scale operation and retake the strategic town of Khan Tuman in Syria's northern province of Aleppo from foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants.
- UK money in Syria diverted to Daesh: Report Press TV 08 May 2016 -- Millions of pounds of British money channeled to Syria as so-called aid may have ended up in the hands of Takfiri Daesh terrorist group, a UK government report says.
- Iran says 13 IRGC forces killed in Syria Press TV 08 May 2016 -- Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) says 13 of its military advisers have been killed and 21 others wounded in Syria in recent days.
- Syrian Regime Fails to Regain Control of Hama Prison VOA 08 May 2016 -- Government forces have failed to regain control of a Syrian prison where nearly 800 mostly political detainees have maintained a revolt for nearly a week.
- Turkey warplanes bomb PKK positions in northern Iraq Press TV 08 May 2016 -- Turkish jets have bombed the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) positions in northern Iraq, military sources say.
- Multiple bomb explosions kill 12 in, around Iraq capital Press TV 08 May 2016 -- At least a dozen people have been killed and dozens more injured in multiple bomb explosions in and around the Iraqi capital of Baghdad, security and medical sources say.
- Daesh militants besiege 2,000 refugee families in western Iraq Press TV 08 May 2016 -- Members of the Takfiri Daesh militant group have reportedly laid siege to two villages in Iraq's Anbar Province, which are home to two thousand families, as the extremists continue perpetrating crimes against humanity in the conflict-ridden country.
- N. Korea won't use nukes unless threatened by nuclear states: Kim ISNA 08 May 2016 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-un said Pyongyang will not use nuclear weapons unless it is threatened by a nuclear state.
- DPRK top leader says DPRK will strive for world denuclearization People's Daily 08 May 2016 -- Top leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) Kim Jong Un said that the DPRK, as a responsible nuclear weapons state, will strive for world denuclearization and faithfully fulfill obligations of nuclear non-proliferation, state media KCNA reported.
- N Korea won't use nukes unless threatened by nuclear states: Kim Press TV 08 May 2016 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-un says Pyongyang will not use nuclear weapons unless it is threatened by a nuclear state.
- Kim Pledges No Nuclear Arms Use Unless N. Korea Threatened VOA 08 May 2016 -- North Korean President Kim Jong Un told a ruling party congress that his country would not use nuclear weapons unless its sovereignty was threatened by other nuclear powers, North Korea's state news agency said Sunday.
- Third-day Sitting of Seventh Congress of WPK Held KCNA 08 May 2016 -- The third-day sitting of the Seventh Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) took place on Sunday.
- Decision of Seventh Congress of WPK Adopted KCNA 08 May 2016 -- A decision "On the review of the work of the Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea" was adopted at the third-day meeting of the Seventh Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) held on May 8.
- Leader stresses importance of security in running affairs IRNA 08 May 2016 -- In Economy of Resistance, security is one of the pillars of Plan and Implementation, Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei said here Sunday.
- Security essential for running country's affairs: Leader ISNA 08 May 2016 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei says establishment of security is of foremost importance to management of various affairs in the society.
- Security essential for running country's affairs: Leader Press TV 08 May 2016 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei says establishment of security is of foremost importance to management of various affairs in the society.
- Blood Sport: The Rise Of Russia's Gangster Athletes RFE/RL 08 May 2016 -- The Soviet government incorporated sports into its official ideology while still in its infancy following the 1917 October Revolution. But it was after World War II that it made a serious push to deploy sporting excellence as evidence of the communist state's superiority over the capitalist West, establishing thousands of sports schools and clubs to identify and train future champions. It was during this postwar push for sporting preeminence that Soviet athletes made their first serious contacts with the criminal underworld (...)
- Saudi Arabia to Maintain its Global Oil Exports VOA 08 May 2016 -- Saudi Arabia says it will continue to maintain its role as the world's largest oil exporter, even as it looks to develop other energy sources in the face of falling global oil prices.
- German paper questions Erdogan family's immeasurable wealth ISNA 08 May 2016 -- German newspaper Bild raised questions as to how Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's children amassed their vast wealth, including one fortune worth tens of millions, when their father only earns some €50 thousand a year as head of state.
- Erdogan Blasts West for Leaving Turkey to Fight IS Alone VOA 08 May 2016 -- Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is accusing Western powers who are battling Islamic State extremists in northern Syria of failing to help his government fight the jihadists on Turkish soil.
- Djibouti President Sworn In for Fourth Term in Office VOA 08 May 2016 -- Djibouti's President Ismail Omar Guelleh was sworn in for a fourth term in office Sunday in a ceremony attended by several regional heads of states and dignitaries.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|