24 April 2016 Military News
- Strikes Continue Against ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 24 Apr 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Obama: Ground Troops in Syria 'Would Be a Mistake' VOA 24 Apr 2016 -- U.S. President Barack Obama said he would not consider sending ground troops into Syria, and said there needs to be more than just a military effort in order to solve the country's problems.
- Senior Taliban commander killed in east Afghanistan Press TV 24 Apr 2016 -- A senior commander of the Taliban militant group has been killed during an operation conducted by security forces in Afghanistan's eastern province of Parwan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- DoD Must Change to Confront Changing Face of War, Dunford Says AFPS 24 Apr 2016 -- Today's presence of cyber, space and ballistic-intercontinental missile capabilities have changed the character of war, and the U.S. military must adapt to confront these challenges, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said.
- Defense Without People: Norway Cuts Personnel in a Military Shake-Up Sputnik 24 Apr 2016 -- Members of the Norwegian military and opposition politicians have reacted furiously to reports that the government proposes to make cuts to the country's armed forces, particularly in the north of the country, NRK reported.
- Kim Jong Un Guides Underwater Test-fire of Strategic Submarine Ballistic Missile KCNA 24 Apr 2016 -- Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army (KPA) Kim Jong Un, first secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea and first chairman of the National Defence Commission of the DPRK, guided on the spot the underwater test-fire of strategic submarine ballistic missile.
- National Meeting Marks 84th Anniversary of KPA KCNA 24 Apr 2016 -- A national meeting took place here Sunday to mark the 84th founding anniversary of the Korean People's Army (KPA), the revolutionary armed forces of the Workers' Party of Korea.
- North Korea missile launches getting serious, US official says Press TV 24 Apr 2016 -- North Korea's recent test of a submarine-launched ballistic missile indicates that Pyongyang is "getting very serious" with its missile program, says a US official.
- Obama Calls Pyongyang's Possible Ballistic Missile Test 'Provocative' Sputnik 24 Apr 2016 -- US President Barack Obama said that Washington cooperates with Beijing to put pressure on Pyongyang in reference to the missile tests.
- North Korea Sends 300 Multiple Rocket Launchers to Southern Border Sputnik 24 Apr 2016 -- South Korea's military reported that North Korea has deployed some 300 multiple launch rocket systems along its southern border, putting Seoul within a striking distance.
- North Korea: Submarine Ballistic Missile Launch 'Remarkable Success' Sputnik 24 Apr 2016 -- North Korea admitted that it conducted an underwater missile test launch, saying it was a "remarkable success".
- Security Council strongly condemns firing of ballistic missile by DPR Korea UN News 24 Apr 2016 -- The United Nations Security Council has strongly condemned the firing of a submarine-launched ballistic missile yesterday by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), reiterating that such activities increase tension in the region and beyond.
- UN Security Council Condemns North Korean Missile test VOA 24 Apr 2016 -- The United Nations Security Council has condemned North Korea for its submarine launched ballistic missile test Saturday, calling it "another serious violation" of existing U.N. resolutions.
- Seoul Condemns Pyongyang's Submarine Missile Launch, Threatens Response Sputnik 24 Apr 2016 -- South Korea's Foreign Ministry spokesman Cho June-hyuck said that North Korea's new test-firing is a clear violation of the UN Security Council resolution.
- DPRK announces successful test of submarine-launched missile People's Daily 24 Apr 2016 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) announced successful underwater test-fire of strategic submarine ballistic missile and the top leader Kim Jong Un guided the test, the official KCNA news agency reported Sunday.
- US unable to confront Iran: Commander IRNA 24 Apr 2016 -- The Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Navy Commander Rear Admiral Ali Fadavi said in this central province on Sunday that the US cannot confront Iran.
- Taiwan's military 13th strongest in the world: report CNA 24 Apr 2016 -- Taiwan has the 13th most powerful military in the world, and is ranked the fifth strongest in terms of the number of attack helicopters, according to a report on globalization by the Credit Suisse Research Institute.
- China reaches consensus with Brunei, Cambodia, Laos on South China Sea issue People's Daily 24 Apr 2016 -- Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said here on Saturday that China has reached a four-point consensus with Brunei, Cambodia and Laos on the South China Sea issue.
- Yerevan Accuses Baku of Overnight Border Shelling Sputnik 24 Apr 2016 -- Armenia's border was shelled 18 times overnight by Azerbaijani armed forces amid reached ceasefire, the Armenian Defense Ministry said Sunday.
- Militant attacks kill 12 civilians across Syria Press TV 24 Apr 2016 -- Militants have launched fresh rounds of attacks on civilians and security forces across Syria, killing at least 12 and injuring a number of others.
- Syria Ceasefire Backed by 71 Settlements Sputnik 24 Apr 2016 -- The Russian Defense Ministry said that the number of Syrian settlements that signed up to the US-Russia-brokered ceasefire has reached 71.
- Al-Nusra Front Focusing Powers Near Syria's Aleppo City Sputnik 24 Apr 2016 -- Еhe Russian Defense Ministry reported that al-Nusra Front jihadist group continues focusing its powers northwest of Syria's Aleppo city and in northeastern parts of the Latakia province.
- Jaysh al-Islam Shells Cities in Damascus Province Sputnik 24 Apr 2016 -- The Russian Defense Ministry said that the Jaysh al-Islam militant group shelled several cities in Syria's Damascus province on Sunday.
- Syrian Army Bags Key Homs Province Oilfields From Daesh Terrorists Sputnik 24 Apr 2016 -- The Syrian Army and the country's National Defense Forces launched fresh attacks against Daesh strongholds in the central province of Homs, forcing the terrorists to retreat from their positions.
- Top terrorist commander killed in northwest Syria bombing Press TV 24 Apr 2016 -- The leader of al-Qaeda-linked Ahrar al-Sham terrorist group has been killed in a bomb attack that targeted the Takfiri militant's headquarters in the northwestern Syrian province of Idlib.
- Merkel calls for refugee 'safe zones' in Syria Press TV 24 Apr 2016 -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel says she is after creating safe zones to shelter Syrian refugees in their own country close to Turkish border, an idea strongly supported by Ankara amid UN and rights groups' concerns.
- Kurdish, volunteer fighters halt clashes in north Iraqi town Press TV 24 Apr 2016 -- Iraqi Kurdish and volunteer fighters have reached an agreement to cease hostilities in a disputed town north of the country.
- Volunteer forces clash with Peshmerga fighters in northern Iraq Press TV 24 Apr 2016 -- Iraqi volunteer forces engaged in clashes with Kurdish Peshmerga fighters in the northern part of the war-hit country during the late hours of Saturday.
- UK may take military action in Libya if requested Press TV 24 Apr 2016 -- The United Kingdom has raised the possibility of using military force in Libya to help legitimate Libyan authorities bring the security situation in the country under control.
- New clashes kill three army soldiers in east Ukraine: Kiev Press TV 24 Apr 2016 -- The Ukrainian military has announced the death of three of its soldiers in a fresh wave of clashes with pro-Russia forces in the country's troubled east.
- Obama: Russia Sanctions Must Remain Until Moscow Complies With Minsk Deal RFE/RL 24 Apr 2016 -- U.S. President Barack Obama says he and German Chancellor Angela Merkel agree that Ukraine-related sanctions targeting Russia should only be lifted if Moscow complies with a deal to end fighting between Kyiv's forces and Russia-backed separatists.
- Darfur Votes to Keep Five-State System VOA 24 Apr 2016 -- Nearly 98 percent of voters in Sudan's western Darfur region have voted against reuniting the five separate states in the war-torn region, according to the electoral commission overseeing the referendum.
- Remarks by President Obama and Chancellor Merkel in Joint Press Conference The White House 24 Apr 2016
- Obama Urges More Pressure On IS As Ends London Visit RFE/RL 24 Apr 2016 -- U.S. President Barack Obama has wrapped up a visit to London by urging the West to continue applying pressure on the Islamic State (IS) extremist group in the Middle East.
- Obama Arrives In Germany To Boost Trade RFE/RL 24 Apr 2016 -- U.S. President Barack Obama has arrived in Germany to push for a new EU-U.S. trade pact and take part in a summit with key European leaders on issues including security.
- Iran pursues legal channels to take back frozen assets: 1st VP Press TV 24 Apr 2016 -- Iran's First Vice President Es'haq Jahangiri slams a ruling by the Supreme Court of the United States granting about two billion dollars in frozen Iranian assets to the families of victims of a 1983 bombing in Beirut.
- Kerry assures world business transactions with Iran are safe IRNA 24 Apr 2016 -- US Secretary of State John Kerry assured the world that financial transactions with Iran are safe and European banks should not be worried in this regard.
- China Marks First-ever "Space Day" People's Daily 24 Apr 2016 -- Today marks China's first-ever "Space Day." It's also the 46th anniversary of the successful launch of the country's first satellite, 'Dong Fang Hong' or 'The East is Red.'
- Mainland China's Authorities Admit Rising Bad Debt Risks Sputnik 24 Apr 2016 -- Chinese monetary authorities admitted risks to the economy stemming from high levels of debt imbursement recently, suggesting a broader regulative and policy response might be implemented soon to address the rising challenges to growth prospects.
- Saudi king dismisses utilities minister over price hikes Press TV 24 Apr 2016 -- Saudi Arabia's King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud has dismissed the kingdom's water and electricity minister amid growing anger over unpopular increases in the utilities' prices.
- Saudi King Fires Utilities Minister Amid Outrage Over Price Hikes VOA 24 Apr 2016 -- King Salman of Saudi Arabia has fired the country's water and electricity minister following massive public backlash over a price hike on utilities.
- Turkey president needs thicker skin against criticism: EU official Press TV 24 Apr 2016 -- A senior EU official suggests Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan needs to develop a "thick skin" against criticisms amid growing crackdown on critical media by Ankara.
- Polls Close In Serbian Parliamentary Elections As Vucic Eyes Victory RFE/RL 24 Apr 2016 -- Polls have closed in Serbia's parliamentary elections that are expected to hand victory to Prime Minister Aleksandar Vucic, who urged voters to endorse his drive toward the EU while maintaining close ties with Russia.
- Serbia's Pro-European Coalition Set for Large Parliamentary Win VOA 24 Apr 2016 -- Preliminary vote tallies in Serbia show the coalition of pro-European Union parties led by Prime Minister Aleksandar Vucic sweeping to a landslide win in Sunday's general elections.
- Austria's Far Right Leads in Presidential Vote, Runoff Expected VOA 24 Apr 2016 -- Exit polls show the candidate of Austria's anti-immigration far-right Freedom Party winning the first round of presidential elections, gathering more than 35 percent of the vote and leaving five rivals far behind, including nominees of the ruling governing coalition.
- Armenia Will Never Give Up Fight to Get Turkey to Recognize Genocide Sputnik 24 Apr 2016 -- Commemorating the 101st anniversary of the Armenian Genocide, Armenian officials said that Yerevan will continue to push for the international recognition of the Armenian Genocide, and for the restoration of truth and justice over the Turkish crime that resulted in the deaths of over 1.5 million civilians, the expulsion of over half-a-million more.
- Egypt president warns of action against anti-government protests Press TV 24 Apr 2016 -- Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah el-Sisi has warned that security forces will respond firmly to planned anti-government demonstrations over his decision to hand over two islands to Saudi Arabia.
- Chernobyl's Ring Of Fire: Signs Point To Rising Risk RFE/RL 24 Apr 2016 -- Canadian scientist and leading Chernobyl researcher Dr. Timothy Mousseau says the potential for fresh catastrophe is hidden in the forests of the exclusion zone around the site of the world's worst nuclear accident.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|