16 April 2016 Military News
- Inherent Resolve Strikes Target ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 16 Apr 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Washington Targets IS in Mideast Military, Diplomatic Talks VOA 16 Apr 2016 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter compared the Islamic State group to cancer on Saturday, saying the insurgent group must be destroyed in Iraq and Syria because that is "where the whole thing arose."
Defense Policy / Programs
- Detainee Transfers Announced DoD 16 Apr 2016 -- The Department of Defense announced today the transfer of Ahmed Umar Abdullah Al-Hikimi, Abdul Rahman Mohammed Saleh Nasir, Ali Yahya Mahdi Al-Raimi, Tariq Ali Abdullah Ahmed Ba Odah, Muhammed Abdullah Muhammed Al-Hamiri, Ahmed Yaslam Said Kuman, Abd al Rahman Al-Qyati, Mansour Muhammed Ali Al-Qatta, and Mashur Abdullah Muqbil Ahmed Al-Sabri from the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay to the government of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- US Transfers 9 Yemeni Inmates From Guantanamo VOA 16 Apr 2016 -- Nine Yemen nationals have been transferred to Saudi Arabia from the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, as the Obama administration pushes to close the controversial facility despite strong opposition from congressional Republicans.
- Carter sails S China Sea, sends 'message' to China Press TV 16 Apr 2016 -- US Defense Secretary Ashton Carter made a sail of the South China Sea aboard an American aircraft carrier, underscoring the US commitment to strengthening its Asia-Pacific alliances and moving more military hardware and troops there to counter China.
- Carter Visits USS Stennis Operating in South China Sea AFPS 16 Apr 2016 -- Defense Secretary Ash Carter visited a symbol of American commitment to peace and security in Southeast Asia yesterday: the aircraft carrier USS John C. Stennis.
- Deputy Secretary of Defense Bob Work's Visit to the Southeast with UK Counterpart DoD 16 Apr 2016
- UAE Troop Talk DoD 16 Apr 2016 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter
- Media Gaggle DoD 16 Apr 2016 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter
- Recovery operations from HMH-463 helicopter mishap concluded USMC News 16 Apr 2016 -- Recovery operations to retrieve wreckage from a January 14, 2016 aviation mishap involving two CH-53E helicopters and 12 U.S. Marines from Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron 463 have been concluded.
- Majority of US Marine Corps jet fighters not airworthy: Report Press TV 16 Apr 2016 -- A new report says some 70 percent of the US Marine Corps combat aircraft are not airworthy over years of wear and tear and maintenance costs.
- US unable to be fully in lockstep with Russian subs: Official Press TV 16 Apr 2016 -- A senior US Navy official has stated that Russia has been deploying combat submarines and missiles in scales that America has issues keeping pace with.
- Phoenix Ravens protect mobility mission AFNS 16 Apr 2016 -- A select group of Airmen are tasked with providing close-in security for mobility air forces aircraft transiting airfields where security is unknown or additional security is needed to counter local threats. They are known as Phoenix Ravens.
- Pentagon Reports Another Russian Jet Incident in Baltic Sea VOA 16 Apr 2016 -- A U.S. Air Force reconnaissance plane flying over the Baltic Sea was intercepted by a Russian Su-27 jet in what the U.S. military said Saturday was "an unsafe and unprofessional manner."
- Polish FM calls for more NATO troops near Russia border Press TV 16 Apr 2016 -- The Polish foreign minister has called on NATO to step up its military build-up in East Europe to counter what he called "existential" threats posed by Russia to the continent.
- Security Council condemns DPRK's firing of ballistic missile People's Daily 16 Apr 2016 -- The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) on Friday strongly condemned the firing of a ballistic missile by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) earlier in the day.
- UNSC deplores N Korea's latest unsuccessful missile test Press TV 16 Apr 2016 -- The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) has denounced North Korea's reported unsuccessful test-firing of a missile, warning that it could take further punitive measures against Pyongyang.
- Mogherini: Iran missile tests not violating N. deal ISNA 16 Apr 2016 -- The EU Foreign Policy Chief Federica Mogherini said that Iran's missile tests do not breach the JCPOA.
- Iran missile tests no violation of nuclear deal: Mogherini Press TV 16 Apr 2016 -- The European Union foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini says Iran's missile activities are not in contravention of the country's nuclear agreement with the six world powers.
- In Washington, Ban urges multilateral action to aid refugees, close infrastructure gaps UN News 16 Apr 2016 -- Addressing the global challenge of forced displacement and fostering greater investment in infrastructure were the main topics of discussion today as United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon spoke to leaders in Washington, D.C., at the Spring Meetings of the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank Group.
- China's top military officer inspects islands in South China Sea People's Daily 16 Apr 2016 -- Fan Changlong, vice chairman of the Central Military Commission, inspected Nansha Islands in the South China Sea in recent days, the Ministry of Defense said Friday.
- War-hit Yemen closest ever to peace: UN envoy Press TV 16 Apr 2016 -- The United Nations special envoy for Yemen says reconciliation between warring sides to the conflict gripping the Arab country has never been as close as it is now.
- Fleeing Syrian Armenians Find Surer Path to Freedom VOA 16 Apr 2016 -- Ethnic Armenians fleeing Syria are finding safe routes to their ancestral homeland where they are welcomed, resettled and provided citizenship in a few months.
- Russian Military Registered Eight Ceasefire Violations in Syria Sputnik 16 Apr 2016 -- The Russian center for Syrian reconciliation at the Hmeimim airbase registered a total of eight violations of the truce in Syria in the past 24 hours, the Russian Defense Ministry said Saturday.
- Civilians in embattled Yarmouk facing 'starvation and dehydration', UN agency warns UN News 16 Apr 2016 -- Up to 10,000 civilians in Yarmouk camp in Damascus, Syria, have gone without food and water for more than a week due to ongoing fighting, today warned the United Nations relief agency charged with the well-being of Palestinian refugees across the Middle East.
- NATO to help Libya security if requested: Deputy chief Press TV 16 Apr 2016 -- The NATO deputy secretary general says the military alliance is ready to help the new UN-sponsored Libyan government in building up security institutions if requested.
- Gunmen kill 140 civilians near South Sudan: Ethiopia Press TV 16 Apr 2016 -- At least 140 people, including women and children, have reportedly been killed after gunmen attacked an area near Ethiopia's border with South Sudan.
- UN says new sex abuse allegations in DR Congo Press TV 16 Apr 2016 -- The United Nations peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo has acknowledged the receipt of new complaints of sexual abuse by peacekeepers.
- Nigerian Military Vows to Continue Effort to Rescue Chibok Girls VOA 16 Apr 2016 -- The Nigerian's military is continuing with the fight to combat terrorism and would not be deterred to rescue all civilians including the kidnapped Chibok School girls abducted by Islamist militant group Boko Haram, Brigadier General Rabe Abubakar, director of Defense Information, said Saturday.
- Obama Sides with Saudis, Opposes Bill to Release 9/11 Findings Sputnik 16 Apr 2016 -- The Obama Administration has been lobbying Congress to block a bill that would allow Saudi Arabia's government to be held accountable in American courts for any role it played in the 9/11 terrorist attacks.
- Weapons, Rights Frame Hollande's Egypt Visit VOA 16 Apr 2016 -- French President Francois Hollande arrives in Egypt Sunday for a visit intended to shore up security cooperation and produce lucrative weapons deals despite sharp criticism by rights groups.
- Larijani calls for resolution of Iran's banking problems IRNA 16 Apr 2016 -- Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani in a meeting with European Union Foreign Policy Chief Federica Mogherini on Saturday called for resolution of Iran's banking problems.
- SNSC sec.: US decision to maintain sanctions unconstructive, undesirable IRNA 16 Apr 2016 -- Secretary of Supreme National Security Council Ali Shamkhani said that the US approach to continuation of sanctions and impeding implementation of JCPOA is undesirable and unconstructive.
- EU must act on US mischief on implementing JCPOA: Iran Press TV 16 Apr 2016 -- Secretary of Iran's Supreme National Security Council (SNSC) Ali Shamkhani says the European Union needs to take an "effective measure" to thwart subversive US acts concerning the implementation of a nuclear agreement reached between Tehran and six global powers last July.
- Rousseff: Brazil faces threat of coup d'état Press TV 16 Apr 2016 -- Brazil's President Dilma Rousseff has accused supporters of her impeachment of trying to grab power in order to avoid corruption charges against themselves, saying the country faces the threat of a coup d'état.
- Corruption Charges False, Impeachment 'Anti-Democratic Coup' - Rousseff Sputnik 16 Apr 2016 -- Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff stated that her government had fought against corruption, passing anti-corruption laws, created administrative transparency and supported an independent judiciary.
- Iraqi protesters call for political reforms, anti-graft fight Press TV 16 Apr 2016 -- Dozens of the Iraqis have held another demonstration in the capital Baghdad, demanding the government fulfill its pledge to enact anti-corruption reforms.
- Rights, Freedoms Are Victims Of Central Asian Economic Crisis RFE/RL 16 Apr 2016 -- Freedom House just released its annual Nations In Transit (NIT) report, an indispensable look at the human rights situation in 29 countries, including all five Central Asian states.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|