10 April 2016 Military News
- Coalition Strikes Target ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 10 Apr 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Iraq and Syria yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Kerry reiterates U.S. support to Afghan forces People's Daily 10 Apr 2016 -- The visiting U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry on Saturday reiterated United Statessupport to Afghan security forces and the people of Afghanistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Ash Carter to visit military base near South China Sea Press TV 10 Apr 2016 -- US Defense Secretary Ashton Carter is planning to visit the Philippines and sites where the US plans to deploy troops, including one base bordering the South China Sea, an American news channel says.
- Tensions Rising Between US, Turkey Over Possible Closure of Incirlik Base Sputnik 10 Apr 2016 -- Washington's unwillingness to take actions toward the Kurdish Democratic Union Party (PYD), designated as a terrorist group by Turkey, may result in Ankara closing the Incirlik airbase to the US, an adviser to the Turkish president said.
- Carter arrives in India to advance defense ties Press TV 10 Apr 2016 -- US Defense Secretary Ash Carter has begun a three-day visit to India to strengthen a relatively new defense relationship with the country.
- US Defense Chief Visits India Amid New High in Bilateral Relations VOA 10 Apr 2016 -- U.S. Secretary of Defense Ash Carter is in India during a wave of increased cooperation with India's military.
- Media Availability with Secretary Carter in Goa, India, Part 1 DoD 10 Apr 2016 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter
- Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter Holds a Media Availability In India, Part 2 DoD 10 Apr 2016 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter
- US leading largest maritime exercise in Mideast Press TV 10 Apr 2016 -- The United States Navy is leading the largest maritime exercise in the Middle East with 30 countries participating in the event.
- Heavy Duty: a Look at Russia's Arctic Forces' Military Vehicles Sputnik 10 Apr 2016 -- The Russian military is firing on all cylinders in exploring the Arctic Region. Large units and military bases have already been deployed in a number of remote areas in Russia's polar regions.
- Newly-Created Russian National Guard is 'Preventive Measure' Sputnik 10 Apr 2016 -- A parliamentary committee on security will meet on Thursday to discuss the proposed creation of a new federal executive body – the National Guard, which will be charged with fighting terrorism and organized crime, and with helping to maintain peace and order inside the country.
- What's Behind Russian-Belarusian Joint Air Defense System Sputnik 10 Apr 2016 -- Russia and Belarus have completed the formation of their joint air defense system in the Eastern European region of collective security, the deputy commander of the Russian Aerospace Forces said earlier this week.
- Russian Army to Receive 20 New BTR-82A Armored Personnel Carriers in 2016 Sputnik 10 Apr 2016 -- Russia's Defense Ministry has ordered 20 new BTR-82A armored personnel carriers to be supplied to the army by the Russian Military Industrial Company, the ministry said on Sunday.
- Military might, spirituality go hand in hand: Leader Press TV 10 Apr 2016 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei says the Iranian Armed Forces are required to enhance their "military might" along with "spiritual and religious motivations."
- Zarif says defensive issues not negotiable IRNA 10 Apr 2016 -- Foreign minister said that US officials including US secretary of state know well that Iran's defense capabilities are not negotiable for bargaining and no Joint Comprehensive Plan Of Action(JCPOA) is on the agenda in this regard,
- Zarif: No JCPOA in defense domain ISNA 10 Apr 2016 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad-Javad Zarif reiterated that there is no JCPOA in defense domain.
- Iran missile program not open to negotiations, compromise: FM Press TV 10 Apr 2016 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says the Islamic Republic's missile capability is not open to any form of negotiations or compromise.
- Iran Says Missile Program Not Negotiable RFE/RL 10 Apr 2016 -- Iran's foreign minister says Tehran will not negotiate with the United States over its missile program.
- UK and France launch rapid deployment exercise UK MOD 10 Apr 2016 -- A joint force between the UK and France will face its biggest development test to date as the two countries come together for an exercise.
- Saudi King Announces Work on Creation of Pan-Arab Anti-Terrorism Forces Sputnik 10 Apr 2016 -- The Saudi king announced the work on creation of pan-Arab anti-terrorism forces.
- G7 should not hype up S. China Sea issue: Chinese FM People's Daily 10 Apr 2016 -- The upcoming meeting of Group of Seven (G7) foreign ministers should not play up the South China Sea issue, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said here on Saturday.
- Saudi warplanes strike Yemen ahead of UN-brokered truce Press TV 10 Apr 2016 -- Saudi Arabia's war machine is using every last minute for more attacks against Yemenis before a UN-brokered ceasefire takes effect.
- Saudi-led Coalition, Rebels Pledge to Abide by New Cease-fire in Yemen VOA 10 Apr 2016 -- A new cease-fire took effect in Yemen at midnight, local time, with all sides promising to stick to it.
- Nagorno-Karabakh MoD: Azerbaijan Fires Mortars in Violation of Ceasefire Sputnik 10 Apr 2016 -- Azerbaijani forces have violated the ceasefire in the breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh early on Sunday by shelling enemy positions, the self-proclaimed Nagorno-Karabakh Republic's (NKR) Defense Ministry said Saturday.
- Armenia Violated Karabakh Ceasefire 125 Times in 24 Hours - Azerbaijani MoD Sputnik 10 Apr 2016 -- The Armenian military has violated the ceasefire along the contact line in Azerbaijan's breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh 125 times over the past 24 hours, the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry said on Saturday.
- Syrian forces to launch operation to retake Aleppo: Premier Press TV 10 Apr 2016 -- The Syrian prime minister says government forces are preparing an operation to retake control of the northwestern city of Aleppo.
- Syrian forces retake two villages in Aleppo Press TV 10 Apr 2016 -- Syrian army soldiers and their allied forces have managed to recapture two villages in the northwestern province of Aleppo from the Takfiri Daesh terrorist group, inflicting losses on the militants, military sources say.
- Ouster of Assad Iran's redline: Leader's adviser Press TV 10 Apr 2016 -- The idea of the ouster of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad is a redline for the Islamic Republic, says a senior adviser to Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei.
- Free Syrian Army Fighters Fire Mortar in Hama, Kill Civilian - Russian MoD Sputnik 10 Apr 2016 -- According to the Russian Defense Ministry, Free Syrian Army (FSA) fighters fired a mortar in Syria's Hama, killing one civilian and injuring a woman amid a ceasefire.
- Erdogan Tries to 'Prevent Kurds From Participating in Syria Peace Talks' Sputnik 10 Apr 2016 -- Ankara is making every effort to prevent the Kurds from participating in the Syria peace talks in Geneva, speaker of Syria's People's Council Mohammad Laham said Sunday.
- Hell From Above: Russian Aviation to Help Syrian Army Liberate Aleppo Sputnik 10 Apr 2016 -- Moscow and Damascus are elaborating a joint operation to liberate Aleppo from terrorists, the Syrian prime minister said.
- UN food aid reaches besieged Syrian city of Deir Ezzor by air UN News 10 Apr 2016 -- In a boost to international humanitarian efforts in Syria, the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) today delivered aid by air for hungry people trapped in the besieged eastern city of Deir Ezzor, an area controlled by Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL/Da'esh).
- Russia, Syria Plotting Military Push to Retake Aleppo VOA 10 Apr 2016 -- Russian news reports say the Syrian military is preparing a major operation with the Russian air force to regain control of the embattled northern city of Aleppo.
- Russian presence speeding up peace process: Syrian minister Press TV 10 Apr 2016 -- Russian forces have vastly accelerated the peace process in Syria since joining the battle against terrorism in the war-ravaged country, the Syrian reconciliation minister says.
- Large swathes of Syria under government control: Russia Press TV 10 Apr 2016 -- Russia says the Damascus government currently controls sizable parts of Syria, with fresh gains made by Syrian forces against the Takfiri Daesh terrorist group over the past few months.
- Shia fighters to retake Iraqi town from Daesh Press TV 10 Apr 2016 -- Shia volunteer fighters from Iraq's Popular Mobilization Units have launched an operation to recapture a northern town from which the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group recently carried out a chemical attack.
- Turkish raids in north Iraq displace locals Press TV 10 Apr 2016 -- Dozens of villages have been abandoned and hundreds of families displaced as Turkey goes ahead with a deadly aerial campaign in northern Iraq, officials and locals say.
- Bombings, mortar attack kill 10 in, around Iraqi capital Press TV 10 Apr 2016 -- At least 10 people have lost their lives and more than four dozen others sustained injuries in a spate of bomb explosions and a militant mortar attack that struck residential neighborhoods in and around the Iraqi capital, Baghdad.
- Three soldiers, civilian killed in guerrilla attacks ahead of Peru elections Press TV 10 Apr 2016 -- At least three soldiers and a civilian have been killed and seven others injured in two attacks by guerrillas in the jungles of central Peru ahead of elections.
- Militants Attack Military Convoy in Peru Sputnik 10 Apr 2016 -- At least two Peruvian were killed in an attack on a military patrol vehicle in jungles of Peru.
- Turkey Claims Azerbaijan 'Patient' Over Nagorno-Karabakh Conflict Sputnik 10 Apr 2016 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said that Baku shows restraint in regard to provocations from Armenia in the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
- Egypt hands over two disputed islands to Saudi Arabia Press TV 10 Apr 2016 -- The Egyptian government has handed over the ownership of disputed Red Sea islands of Tiran and Sanafir to Saudi Arabia amid strong objection from several former officials as well as the Muslim Brotherhood.
- End of a Dispute? Egypt Hands Over Two Red Sea Islands to Saudi Arabia Sputnik 10 Apr 2016 -- Egypt has handed two disputed Red Sea islands over to Saudi Arabia as part of an agreement that is going to be presented to parliament for ratification, Al-Arabiya news channel reported.
- Nigeria Denies Chibok Girls Ransom Report VOA 10 Apr 2016 -- Nigeria's information minister is denying media reports the Islamist militant group Boko Haram is demanding $50 million from the government as ransom before releasing the abducted Chibok schoolgirls.
- Nigeria blames Biafra after mass graves unearthed Press TV 10 Apr 2016 -- Nigerian secret police have laid the blame on the Biafra separatist group for the killing of 55 people after discovering shallow mass graves in the country's southeast.
- South Sudan Army Chief Sparks Controversy VOA 10 Apr 2016 -- South Sudan's opposition faction is calling recent comments by the country's army chief of staff, "anti-peace and anti-democracy."
- Ukrainian PM Yatsenyuk announces resignation amid political crisis Press TV 10 Apr 2016 -- Ukrainian Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk has announced his resignation after weeks of a political crisis in the Eastern European country.
- Ukrainian Prime Minister Tenders Resignation RFE/RL 10 Apr 2016 -- Ukrainian Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk has announced his resignation in a televised address.
- Poroshenko Expects Forming Coalition in Ukraine's Parliament on Tuesday Sputnik 10 Apr 2016 -- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko said Sunday he expected forming the coalition in the Ukrainian Parliament as early as on Tuesday.
- Ukrainian Prime Minister Yatsenyuk Announces Resignation Sputnik 10 Apr 2016 -- Ukrainian Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk has announced that he had resigned, local media reported Sunday.
- Embattled Ukraine Prime Minister Yatsenyuk Resigning VOA 10 Apr 2016 -- Ukraine's embattled prime minister, Arseniy Yatsenyuk, said Sunday he is resigning, opening the way for a new government to be formed in an effort to end Kyiv's political crisis.
- Prosecutors: Brussels Attacks Had Planned to Hit France Again VOA 10 Apr 2016 -- Belgian prosecutors said Sunday the terror cell linked to the November attacks in Paris was planning a second attack in France, but last month decided to hit Brussels instead.
- Iran now holds 220 tons yellow cake ISNA 10 Apr 2016 -- Head of Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Ali Akbar Salehi said that there are now 220 tons of yellow cake in the country, expressing the hope that the amount would increase in future.
- Djibouti Opposition Rejects Election, Cites Fraud VOA 10 Apr 2016 -- Djibouti opposition leaders are rejecting the results of the country's presidential election, citing fraud.
- Pakistani Prime Minister Coming Under Pressure VOA 10 Apr 2016 -- A main political rival in Pakistan has demanded that Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif step down, after documents leaked from a Panama-based law firm revealed his children own several offshore companies.
- NASA's Kepler telescope enters 'emergency mode' Press TV 10 Apr 2016 -- US National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) is doing all it can to fix its expensive Kepler telescope that has entered emergency mode 75 million miles from home, putting at risk the world's greatest hope to find habitable planets beyond the boundaries of our solar system.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|