09 April 2016 Military News
- Military Strikes Continue Against ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 09 Apr 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Iraq and Syria yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- US military proposes 250 more special forces in Syria: Report Press TV 09 Apr 2016 -- The United States is considering deploying 250 additional special forces in Syria as part of a broader effort to ramp up military operations against Daesh, according to a report.
- B-52 Stratofortress joins coalition team AFNS 09 Apr 2016 -- U.S. Air Force B-52 Stratofortress aircraft from Barksdale Air Force Base, Louisiana, arrived at Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar, April 9, in support of theater requirements and Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria and the wider international community.
- US deploys strategic bombers to Qatar against 'ISIL' Press TV 09 Apr 2016 -- The United States military has sent an unspecified number of strategic B-52 bombers to the Persian Gulf littoral state of Qatar to join what it calls the fight against Daesh (ISIL).
- US Deploys Strategic B-52 Bombers in Qatar to Combat Daesh Sputnik 09 Apr 2016 -- US Air Forces Central Command Public Affairs said that United States' B-52 Stratofortress strategic bombers arrived at an airbase in central Qatar to join the international coalition's fight against the Daesh terrorist group in Iraq and Syria.
- Joint Press Availability With Afghanistan President Ghani US Dept. of State 09 Apr 2016 -- Remarks by John Kerry, US Secretary of State
- Joint Statement on the Third Meeting of the U.S.-Afghanistan Bilateral Commission Kabul - April 2016 US Dept. of State 09 Apr 2016
- Kerry calls on Taliban to resume peace talks with Kabul Press TV 09 Apr 2016 -- US Secretary of State John Kerry has called on the Taliban militant group to resume peace talks with the Afghan government.
- Blasts Heard In Kabul After Kerry Called On Taliban To Restart Peace Talks RFE/RL 09 Apr 2016 -- At least two explosions have been reported in Kabul's diplomatic area, shortly after U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry left the Afghan capital following an unannounced visit during which he called on the Taliban to restart direct peace talks with the government.
- Afghan Parliament Approves Nominees for Interior Minister, Attorney General VOA 09 Apr 2016 -- Afghan lawmakers Saturday approved the government's nominees for interior minister and attorney general.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Remarks on "America's Growing Security Network in the Asia-Pacific" (Council on Foreign Relations) DoD 09 Apr 2016 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter
- US Needs 18 More Russian Rocket Engines for Its Military Satellites Sputnik 09 Apr 2016 -- The US isn't going to have the rocket engines it needs for its military satellites for another six years, and Russia remains a reliable partner in providing an affordable means into space, the Pentagon says.
- Russian envoy doubts breakthrough in NATO relations Press TV 09 Apr 2016 -- A Russian envoy says Moscow's relations with the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) will not improve as long as the military alliance continues a "containment policy" towards the country.
- Mysterious Lab Guarding Russia's Nuclear Secrets Marks 70th Anniversary Sputnik 09 Apr 2016 -- April 9 marks the 70th anniversary of the creation of the nuclear institute at Sarov, which would become one of the most important and sensitive military facilities in 20th and 21st century Russian history.
- Carter says THAAD missile system 'going to happen' in S Korea Press TV 09 Apr 2016 -- Defense Secretary Ashton Carter says the United States will go ahead with the proposed deployment of a US missile system in South Korea despite Chinese complaints.
- Kim Jong Un Guides Ground Jet Test of New-type High-Power Engine of Inter-continental Ballistic Rocket KCNA 09 Apr 2016 -- The DPRK succeeded in the ground jet test of a new type high-power engine of inter-continental ballistic rocket designed and produced by the scientists and technicians in its field of national defence.
- DPRK announces successful test of intercontinental ballistic rocket engine People's Daily 09 Apr 2016 -- The top leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) Kim Jong Un has overseen a successful test of a heavy-lift engine of a new-type intercontinental ballistic rocket, the official KCNA news agency reported Saturday.
- North Korea says successfully tested new engine for ballistic missile Press TV 09 Apr 2016 -- North Korea says it has successfully tested an engine designed for an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) that will give it the ability to stage nuclear attacks on the United States.
- North Korea Reports Intercontinental Ballistic Missile Engine Test Sputnik 09 Apr 2016 -- North Korea claims it has successfully tested a new engine for an intercontinental ballistic missile, under direct supervision of leader Kim Jong Un.
- US rips North Korea over ICBM program Press TV 09 Apr 2016 -- The United States has censured North Korea over 'destabilizing' the region with what Washington has described as Pyongyang's Intercontinental Ballistic Missile (ICBM) program.
- Belarus Develops New 'Color Revolution-Crushing' Military Doctrine Sputnik 09 Apr 2016 -- Despite the recent warming in relations between Belarus and the West, President Alexander Lukashenko remains wary of any attempts to overthrow his government via a Western-sponsored color revolution. Subsequently, his government has strengthened the relevant security architecture in a new military doctrine.
- Salami: US officials not qualified to discuss Iran's missile might IRNA 09 Apr 2016 -- Deputy Commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) slammed US Secretary of State John Kerry for his interfering remarks against Iran's missile program, warning that the American officials are in no way entitled to comment on the issue.
- US not in position to comment on Iran's missile might: Cmdr. Press TV 09 Apr 2016 -- A senior Iranian commander has rejected US Secretary of State John Kerry's call for missile negotiations with Tehran, saying Washington is not in a position to make comments about the Islamic Republic's missile capabilities.
- Iran's armed forces are neither adventurous nor conservative IRNA 09 Apr 2016 -- Secretary of the Expediency Council Mohasen Rezaei has said Iranian armed forces are neither adventurous nor conservative.
- Russian PM defends arms sales to Armenia and Azerbaijan Press TV 09 Apr 2016 -- Russian prime minister has defended the sale of weaponry to both hostile neighboring nations of Armenia and Azerbaijan, whose forces have faced off in recent border clashes in the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region.
- CNN: Carter to Visit Site Near Archipelago Claimed by China VOA 09 Apr 2016 -- During an upcoming trip to Asia, U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter will visit sites in the Philippines where the U.S. plans to station troops, including one base close to the disputed South China Sea.
- Taiwan's President Visits Island to Assert Territorial Authority VOA 09 Apr 2016 -- Taiwan's president, Ma Ying-jeou, visited a remote island in the East China Sea Saturday to reassert Taiwan's sovereignty, and Taipei's role in the region where several islands are in dispute.
- President promotes peace during visit to islet near Diaoyutais CNA 09 Apr 2016 -- President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) unveiled a monument to his East China Sea Peace Initiative during a visit to an islet near the disputed Diaoyutai Islands Saturday, as part of his efforts to promote peace in the region.
- Ma vows to closely follow Diaoyutai issues after he steps down CNA 09 Apr 2016 -- President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) said Saturday that even after he steps down in May, he will maintain a keen interest in matters related to the disputed Diaoyutai Islands in the East China Sea.
- Five civilians die as Saudi jets hit new areas in Yemen Press TV 09 Apr 2016 -- At least five civilians have been killed in a new series of Saudi airstrikes against Yemen's southwestern province of Ta'izz.
- Yemen: UN official expresses hope warring parties abide by cessation of hostilities set to begin Sunday UN News 09 Apr 2016 -- Ahead of a cessation of hostilities set to start on 10 April, the senior United Nations relief official for Yemen today expressed hope that all parties to the conflict in that country abide by the ceasefire agreement, noting that only a political solution can bring the lasting peace Yemenis deserve and are demanding.
- Al-Qaida Militants Kill 15 Yemeni Soldiers VOA 09 Apr 2016 -- Al-Qaida militants in southern Yemen have ambushed and executed at least 15 soldiers after stopping their convoy in the province of Abyan.
- Nagorno-Karabakh Crisis Could Get Messy If New Arms Suppliers Emerge Sputnik 09 Apr 2016 -- According to Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev, if the world hopes to circumvent the escalation of the armed conflict currently pitting Azerbaijan against an ethnically Armenian enclave within its borders that's had de facto independence for over two decades, it shouldn't arm either side.
- Both Sides to Nagorno-Karabakh Conflict Using Mortars, Heavy Ammunition Sputnik 09 Apr 2016 -- The Armenians are using different weapons against Azerbaijani positions in Nagorno-Karabakh region including mortars, Azerbaijan's Defense Ministry said Saturday.
- Russia Speeds Up Syrian Reconciliation Process - Syrian Minister Sputnik 09 Apr 2016 -- Syrian State Minister for National Reconciliation Affairs Ali Haidar said that over six months since joining the fight against terrorism on the Syrian territory, Russia has accelerated the process of reconciliation in the country.
- Over 2,000 Syrians Plan to Return to Palmyra, Al-Qaryatayn Sputnik 09 Apr 2016 -- The administration of the city of Homs in Syria has prepared 46 buses to Palmyra and two buses to Al-Qaryatayn, it's planned to send a total of over 2,000 temporarily displaced Homs citizens back to their homes, according to a source in the Homs Mayor's Office.
- UN envoy urges Libyan House of Representatives to vote on national unity government UN News 09 Apr 2016 -- Welcoming yesterday's executive meeting of the House of Representatives, the United Nations envoy for Libya today called on the House to convene in the Libyan port city of Tobruk over the coming days to vote on the national unity government.
- Philippine Fighting Leaves 18 Soldiers, 5 Militants Dead VOA 09 Apr 2016 -- The Philippine military said Sunday that 18 of its soldiers were killed and more than 50 others were wounded in a 10-hour firefight with Abu Sayyaf extremists in the southwestern island province of Basilan.
- Daesh- affiliated terrorists kill 18, wound 52 soldiers in Philippines Press TV 09 Apr 2016 -- At least 18 Filipino forces have been killed by Daesh-affiliated terrorists during heavy battles in southern Philippines, officials said.
- Sudan to hold referendum in restive Darfur amid surge in fighting Press TV 09 Apr 2016 -- A referendum will be held in Sudan's conflict-ridden Darfur region on Monday on whether to unify its five states into one, as long demanded by rebels seeking greater autonomy, amid a recent surge of clashes there.
- US Warns Darfur Referendum May Not Be 'Credible' VOA 09 Apr 2016 -- The U.S. State Department is expressing "serious concern" about a key referendum in Sudan next week to determine the political future of its war-torn Darfur region.
- Man in the hat in footage of Brussels airport attack arrested Press TV 09 Apr 2016 -- Belgian authorities say they have arrested "the man in the hat" who was captured in CCTV footage along with the two bombers who carried out the recent deadly attacks in Brussels airport.
- Paris Attacks Suspect 'Man in the Hat' at Brussels Airport VOA 09 Apr 2016 -- Belgium's federal prosecutor said Saturday that Paris attacks suspect Mohamed Abrini has admitted that he was the "man in the hat" seen accompanying two suicide bombers at Brussels Zaventem airport on March 22.
- China Blasts North Korea in Deleted Editorial About Nuclear Missile Program Sputnik 09 Apr 2016 -- The People's Daily in China criticized North Korea this week, urging it to reconsider its nuclear weapons program as the Chinese ally announced tests of an intercontinental ballistic missile engine. The post was later taken down.
- U.S.-S. Korea Nuclear War Maneuvers No Longer Tolerable: Rodong Sinmun KCNA 09 Apr 2016 -- Key Resolve joint military exercise, combined command drill staged with all U.S. nuclear weapons and special operation forces involved came to an end in south Korea but mobile Foal Eagle 16 is still going on.
- Turkish weapons factory director caught selling state secrets to US Press TV 09 Apr 2016 -- The head of Turkey's state-owned Mechanical and Chemical Industry Corporation (MKEK) weapons factory has been arrested on charges of trying to sell weapon designs to a US company.
- US must stop supporting terrorism, leave region: Iran Press TV 09 Apr 2016 -- Iran has lashed out at US Secretary of State John Kerry for accusing Tehran of destabilizing the Middle East, saying Washington needs to stop supporting terrorist groups and pull out of the region if it seeks to help regional security.
- Russia's Novak Says Ready To Freeze Oil Output At January Level RFE/RL 09 Apr 2016 -- Russian Energy Minister Alexandr Novak says Russia is ready to freeze oil production at January's level of 10.9 million barrels a day in an agreement with other major producers this month.
- Sub-Continental Divide: India-Pakistan Relations Return to Square One Sputnik 09 Apr 2016 -- India – Pakistan relations are on a topsy-turvy path again: despite Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi's diplomatic efforts to mend ties, things are not going in the right direction.
- Myanmar frees 113 political prisoners, jails two Muslim activists Press TV 09 Apr 2016 -- Myanmar's de facto leader Aung San Suu Kyi has issued an amnesty order for the release of 113 political prisoners, amid the sentencing of two Muslim peace activists to jail terms.
- Tanzania Opens Warm Diplomatic Relations with Rwanda VOA 09 Apr 2016 -- A new chapter of warm relations has opened between the governments of Tanzania and Rwanda after Tanzanian President John Magufuli officially participated in the 22-year remembrance of the 1994 genocide in Rwanda, according to Tanzanian Foreign Minister Augustine Mahiga.
- SpaceX lands Falcon 9 rocket on water for first time Press TV 09 Apr 2016 -- The SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket has successfully managed to land safely on the platform of a drone ship in the Atlantic Ocean, after four previous attempts at water touchdown ended in failure.
- SpaceX launches inflatable space habitat to ISS, rocket lands on droneship for 1st time People's Daily 09 Apr 2016 -- U.S. space firm SpaceX resumed its resupply mission to the International Space Station (ISS) on Friday, carrying aboard an experimental inflatable space habitat that might be crucial for future deep space explorations.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|