02 April 2016 Military News
- Inherent Resolve Strikes Target ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 02 Apr 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- US to send more special forces to Syria: Report Press TV 02 Apr 2016 -- The United States is considering a new plan to "greatly increase" the number of American special forces deployed in Syria, says a new report.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US Navy to sail again in disputed South China Sea Press TV 02 Apr 2016 -- The US Navy seeks to sail yet again around disputed territories in the South China Sea despite earlier condemnations from Beijing of America's "provocations" in the region.
- US Challenges China, Tests Sovereignty in South China Sea Sputnik 02 Apr 2016 -- The United States is planning to show its might in disputed areas of the South China Sea in what China is calling a violation of its sovereignty.
- US, Philippines to launch military drills near South China Sea Press TV 02 Apr 2016 -- The United Sates and Philippines will kick off an eleven-day military drill not far from the South China Sea.
- Pentagon Spends $86 Million on Spy Plane That Never Got Off the Ground Sputnik 02 Apr 2016 -- The latest embarrassing episode for the US Department of Defense involves the agency failing to upgrade an ATR 42-500 plane that the US Drug Enforcement Administration planned to use in surveillance and anti-drug missions in Afghanistan under a seven-year-long program that has already cost four times more than intended.
- NATO training for Iraqi officers starts in Jordan NATO 02 Apr 2016 -- The first group of officers from Iraq's national security forces started their NATO training course at the King Abdullah Special Operations Training Centre in Amman, Jordan, on 2 April 2016.
- Souped-Up Nona-S Mortar System to Join Russian Troops Soon Sputnik 02 Apr 2016 -- The 2S9 Nona-S self-propelled mortar system is undergoing final trials in Perm before being sent to one of Russia's paratroop divisions, Zvezda TV reported.
- Constitution Does Not Ban Japan from Owning, Using Nuke Weapons: Japan Gov't People's Daily 02 Apr 2016 -- Japan's Cabinet Council on April 1 issued a statement saying that Japan's Constitution does not necessarily ban the owning and use of nuclear weapons, an answer for the questioning on nuclear weapons from Takako Suzuki, a non-partisan in House of Representatives.
- UK Defense Ministry Denies Leaving Falkland Islands Unprotected Sputnik 02 Apr 2016 -- The UK Ministry of Defense spokesperson refuted reports about London allegedly leaving the disputed Falkland Islands unprotected.
- Sanctions have no impact on Iran's naval capabilities: Sayyari IRNA 02 Apr 2016 -- Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari said on Saturday that US and its allies' sanctions have no impact on Iran's naval capabilities.
- Iran army flotilla berths in Abbas Port after presence in high seas ISNA 02 Apr 2016 -- The 38th flotilla of the Islamic Republic of Iran's Army berthed in Abbas Port, southern Iran, on Saturday after ending its 75-day mission in high seas.
- Iran Navy might untouched by US sanctions: Commander Press TV 02 Apr 2016 -- Iran's Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari says sanctions by the United States and its allies will fail to hinder the country's plans to boost its military might.
- US Condemns Nagorno-Karabakh Violence, Urges Parties to Respect Ceasefire Sputnik 02 Apr 2016 -- The United States strongly condemns the violation of the ceasefire in the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region and calls on the conflicting sides to show restraint since the military approach is not an option to settle the issue, US State Secretary John Kerry said Saturday.
- OSCE, UN Urges Nagorno-Karabakh Fighting Parties to Stop Conflict Sputnik 02 Apr 2016 -- The Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE)'s chairman and German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier urged all parties to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict to stop fighting immediately.
- Armenian Ministry Denies Reports About Seizure of Karabakh Villages Sputnik 02 Apr 2016 -- Armenia's Ministry of Defense officially refuted reports about the capture of a number of settlements in Nagorno-Karabakh by Azerbaijani Armed Forces.
- What's Behind Nagorno-Karabakh Row Between Armenia and Azerbaijan Sputnik 02 Apr 2016 -- On April 2, Armenia and Azerbaijan declared a dramatic escalation of the situation in the Nagorno-Karabakh region. Baku and Yerevan traded blame for breaching the truce in the conflict and reported heavy fighting in the area.
- At Least 32 Killed In Heavy Fighting In Nagorno-Karabakh RFE/RL 02 Apr 2016 -- Intense fighting has been reported in the disputed region of Nagorno-Karabakh inside Azerbaijan, with heavy casualties reported on both sides and the OSCE expressing its "grave concern" at developments.
- As Nagorno-Karabakh violence flares, Ban urges 'immediate end to fighting' UN News 02 Apr 2016 -- Deeply disturbed by the recent reports of large-scale ceasefire violations along the Line of Contact in the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict zone, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today urged all relevant parties to put an immediate end to the fighting and take urgent steps to de-escalate the situation.
- Putin calls for end to Nagorno-Karabakh clashes Press TV 02 Apr 2016 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has called for an immediate end to recent clashes between Armenian-backed and Azerbaijani forces in the disputed Caucasus region of Nagorno-Karabakh.
- Azeri, Armenian troops clash at Karabakh region Press TV 02 Apr 2016 -- Major clashes involving heavy gun and mortar fire have reportedly erupted between the military forces of Azerbaijan Republic and Armenia along the disputed border region of Karabakh.
- Syrian Army Takes Control Over Mountain Range Near Al-Qaryatayn Sputnik 02 Apr 2016 -- The Syrian Army backed by popular forces has taken control over the Suniyat-Homs mountain range, two kilometers away from the town of Al-Qaryatayn, in central Syria.
- Al-Nusra Front Controls Syrian Opposition Groups Near Aleppo - Russian MoD Sputnik 02 Apr 2016 -- Syrian opposition near Aleppo is dominated by al-Nusra Front terrorist group, the commander of the Russian center for Syrian reconciliation said Monday.
- Turkey sends arms to Daesh in Syria through aid convoys: Russia Press TV 02 Apr 2016 -- Russia's envoy to the United Nations (UN) says he has submitted to the Security Council purported evidence of the illicit transfer of arms and military hardware by Turkey to Daesh terrorist group in Syria.
- Amnesty Says Turkey Illegally Sending Syrians Back To War Zone RFE/RL 02 Apr 2016 -- Amnesty International has accused Turkey of illegally returning thousands of Syrians to their war-torn homeland in recent months.
- Iraqi forces seize Daesh prison in Anbar, free 1,500 people Press TV 02 Apr 2016 -- Iraqi security forces have attacked an underground prison run by the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group in the western province of Anbar, freeing as many as 1,500 prisoners.
- 32 Daesh terrorists killed, injured in Iraqi air raids on Kirkuk: Source Press TV 02 Apr 2016 -- More than a dozen Takfiri Daesh militants have been killed and many more wounded in Iraqi army airstrikes on the northern province of Kirkuk, an Iraqi security source says.
- Iraqi security forces recapture four areas in Anbar Press TV 02 Apr 2016 -- Iraqi security forces, backed by fighters from allied Popular Mobilization Units, have fully liberated four districts in the conflict-ridden western province of Anbar from Daesh Takfiri terrorists.
- Six Turkish forces killed in alleged PKK bombing Press TV 02 Apr 2016 -- Six Turkish forces, including a Special Forces police officer, have reportedly been killed in a bomb blast in southeastern Turkey, blamed on Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) militants.
- Egypt army kills scores of militants in Sinai Peninsula Press TV 02 Apr 2016 -- The Egyptian military says it has killed scores of militants in the restive province of North Sinai, located in the country's extreme northeast.
- Obama Hails Summit Accord, But Says Nuclear Terrorism Still a Risk VOA 02 Apr 2016 -- The leaders of more than 50 nations who met in Washington about nuclear security and terrorism agreed on the actions they will take together to reduce the risks facing the world, but President Barack Obama says the hard work starts now, building on the summit's accomplishments.
- UN approves resolution to dispatch unarmed police to Burundi Press TV 02 Apr 2016 -- The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) has adopted a resolution that allows the deployment of unarmed UN police to Burundi in a bid to help contain the escalating unrest gripping the landlocked African country.
- DPP pledges to work to maintain cross-strait stability CNA 02 Apr 2016 -- The Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) on Saturday said it has taken note of a statement by the U.S. government encouraging Taipei and Beijing to continue their efforts to maintain cross-Taiwan Strait peace and stability.
- Amano: Iran fulfills commitments beyond agreement with IAEA ISNA 02 Apr 2016 -- Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Yukiya Amano in a statement announced that Iran has fulfilled its commitments beyond the agreement it has reached with the IAEA.
- Obama Says U.S. Will Address Some Iranian Concerns Over Sanctions RFE/RL 02 Apr 2016 -- U.S. President Barack Obama said that his administration is preparing to address concerns that Iran is not getting the full benefit of sanctions relief under its nuclear accord with world powers.
- Xi urges strict supervision, prompt response to counter nuclear terrorism People's Daily 02 Apr 2016 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Friday called for strict source control and enhanced supervision over nuclear materials and quick emergency response to battle nuclear terrorism worldwide.
- China to work together with the US for new-type relationship: Xi People's Daily 02 Apr 2016 -- China and the United States should handle unresolved disputes in a constructive manner to avoid misunderstandings and escalation in conflicts, President Xi Jinping told US President Barack Obama on Thursday.
- Saudi Kingdom plans sale of oil assets amid economic woes Press TV 02 Apr 2016 -- Saudi Arabia is planning to generate a $2-trillion wealth fund by auctioning off its oil assets amid the heavy costs of its war on Yemen and near-record low global oil prices.
- Poroshenko Predicts Win In Dutch Vote On Ukraine Pact With EU RFE/RL 02 Apr 2016 -- The United States has urged Dutch voters to approve Ukraine's cooperation agreement with the European Union in a referendum on April 4, even as Ukraine's president predicted victory.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|