27 March 2016 Military News
- Military Strikes Continue Against ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 27 Mar 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Putting the Pegasus through its paces AFNS 27 Mar 2016 -- As the Air Force gets ready for the arrival of its newest aerial refueling and strategic military transport aircraft, a diverse group of Airmen is working hard to make sure the KC-46A Pegasus is ready to meet the service's needs. Lt. Col. John Mikal is one of them.
- Russian Campaign in Syria Exposes 'Minor Problems' With Newest Su Jets Sputnik 27 Mar 2016 -- During the Russian military campaign in Syria, a series of technical glitches were found in the newest Sukhoi jets, defense industry sources said.
- Pakistan general to US: Our nuclear arsenal is here to stay Press TV 27 Mar 2016 -- A longtime head of Pakistan's nuclear program has rejected US concerns over Islamabad's development of tactical nuclear weapons, asserting that the country will continue to expand its arsenal with no apology.
- Algeria copter crashes in reconnaissance mission, 12 die Press TV 27 Mar 2016 -- At least 12 Algerians have been killed in a copter crash during a reconnaissance mission in the Sahara.
- Syrian army's reseizure of Palmyra punches IS People's Daily 27 Mar 2016 -- Raging battles and airstrikes have helped the Syrian army recapture Palmyra taken by the Islamic State(IS) for the past 10 months.
- UN praises Syrian government victory in Palmyra Press TV 27 Mar 2016 -- UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has welcomed the Syrian army's recapture of Palmyra from Daesh terrorists, expressing hope that the Damascus government will try to rebuild and protect the UNESCO-listed city.
- Palmyra recapture shows success of army strategy: Assad Press TV 27 Mar 2016 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has hailed the liberation of the ancient city of Palmyra from Daesh, saying the victory shows the success of the army's strategy in its battle against terrorists.
- Syria army vows to liberate Raqqah, Dayr al-Zawr from Daesh Press TV 27 Mar 2016 -- After liberating the ancient city of Palmyra, the Syrian army has vowed to press ahead with counter-terror military operations and drive Daesh terrorists out of their major strongholds, particularly Raqqah Province.
- CIA-armed militias shooting at Pentagon-armed ones in Syria Press TV 27 Mar 2016 -- CIA-armed militants are now shooting at Pentagon-armed militias in Syria, showing a complete lack of control by the US over its war machine in the war-torn country.
- Syrian army captures entire Palmyra from Daesh terrorists Press TV 27 Mar 2016 -- Syrian armed forces have successfully established full control over the ancient city of Palmyra in the west-central Homs Province, latest in a string of victories over the Daesh Takfiri terrorists.
- Assad Hails Recapture Of Palmyra From Islamic State RFE/RL 27 Mar 2016 -- Syrian government forces, backed by Russian airstrikes, have recaptured the historic city of Palmyra from Islamic State (IS) militants, an advance that President Bashar al-Assad hailed as an "important achievement" demonstrating the success of his army's fight against terrorism.
- Palmyra Liberation: Syrian Army Officer Reveals Details of Operation Sputnik 27 Mar 2016 -- Earlier on Sunday the Syrian Army together with the Desert Falcons fully liberated the ancient city of Palmyra from Daesh militants. A Syrian field commander told RT the details of the operation.
- Desert Falcons Thank Vladimir Putin for Support in Liberation of Palmyra Sputnik 27 Mar 2016 -- A field commander of Syria's Desert Falcons militia forces thanked Russian President Vladimir Putin on behalf of the Syrian people for supporting the country in the fight against terrorism.
- Russian Warplanes Destroy 8 Terrorist Command Centers in Palmyra Sputnik 27 Mar 2016 -- Russian warplanes have destroyed 8 terrorist command centers and 6 ammunition depots in Palmyra amid the ancient city's complete liberation by the Syrian army.
- Encircled: Syrian Army Poised to Storm Key Christian Town Near Palmyra Sputnik 27 Mar 2016 -- The Syrian army and allied popular defense forces have closed their ring around Qariatein, a town 30 kilometers away from Palmyra, RIA Novosti reported citing a source on the ground.
- Triumph! Syrian Army Completely Liberates Palmyra From Daesh Sputnik 27 Mar 2016 -- The Syrian Army and popular defense forces, supported by Russian warplanes, have successfully ended the operation to liberate Palmyra from Daesh terrorists, the SANA news agency reported on Sunday.
- Syrian Forces Recapture Palmyra From Islamic State VOA 27 Mar 2016 -- Syrian government forces backed by Russian airstrikes have retaken the ancient city of Palmyra from Islamic State, according to activists and state media, dealing a crucial symbolic and strategic defeat to the militants.
- Kurds Warn of Post-IS Fight With Shi'ite Militias VOA 27 Mar 2016 -- Kurdish commanders are warning that once the fight against so-called Islamic State group is over, another conflict could begin – this time against the Iraqi government's paramilitary units known as the Hashd al-Shaabi.
- Jordanians, Britons in Africa to tackle al-Shabab 'in world war against terror' Press TV 27 Mar 2016 -- Jordanian and British special forces are secretly working together thousands of miles away in Africa, allegedly to fight al-Shabab terrorists in Somalia, a report claims.
- Bomb blast kills 65, injures 280 in Pakistan's Lahore Press TV 27 Mar 2016 -- A bomb explosion outside a park in the city of Lahore in northeastern Pakistan has killed at least 65 people and injured 280 others, mostly women and children, officials say.
- Pakistani Taliban Affiliate Claims Credit For Deadly Easter Day Bombing RFE/RL 27 Mar 2016 -- Pakistani authorities say an apparent suicide bombing has killed at least 69 people, mostly women and children, and wounded hundreds more after a blast tore through the parking lot of a crowded public park in the eastern city of Lahore where Christians were celebrating Easter Sunday.
- Dozens Dead as Suicide Blast Rocks Public Park in Pakistan VOA 27 Mar 2016 -- Pakistani officials say a suicide bomb blast at a crowded public park in the eastern city of Lahore Sunday evening killed at least 65 people and wounded at least 300 others.
- Belgian Police Detain Four In Raids On Brussels Attacks Suspects RFE/RL 27 Mar 2016 -- Belgian prosecutors say police have detained four people after a series of raids on March 27 in the wake of deadly terrorist bomb attacks in Brussels earlier this week.
- Brussels Terror Probe Continues; Protests Take Right-Wing Turn VOA 27 Mar 2016 -- As Belgian riot police marched into formation accompanied by water-trucks, the crowd on the steps of the stock exchange in Brussels cheered. Right-wing activists some locals call 'fascists' had arrived at the quiet memorial to those killed in last week's terror attacks, shouting anti-immigration slogans and performing Nazi salutes.
- 2 More Suspects Arrested in Ivory Coast Resort Attacks VOA 27 Mar 2016 -- Authorities in Mali say two men with alleged links to al-Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) have been arrested in connection with terror attacks earlier this month in Ivory Coast that left at least 19 people dead.
- KPA Units in Full Readiness for Preemptive Attack on Provokers KCNA 27 Mar 2016 -- With the news about the ultimatum to south Korea's Park Geun Hye group issued by the long-range artillery force of the Korean People's Army, all its services and arms units have taken a full posture for preemptive attack on the provokers.
- DPRK Citizens Hail KPA's Ultimatum KCNA 27 Mar 2016 -- Citizens in the DPRK fully support the ultimatum to the south Korean puppet group recently issued by the long-range artillery force of the Korean People's Army.
- Service Personnel, People of DPRK Turn out in Sacred Battle to Defeat Enemies KCNA 27 Mar 2016 -- All the service personnel and people of the DPRK have turned out in the sacred battle to defeat the enemies who committed thrice-cursed provocations.
- Provocateurs Can Not Escape Severe Punishment by DPRK: Rodong Sinmun KCNA 27 Mar 2016 -- It is the unshakable will of the service personnel and people of the DPRK to wipe out any hideous provocateurs to the last one who dare hurt the dignity of its supreme leadership.
- Pyongyang urges Seoul to apologize, threatens to fire long-range artillery People's Daily 27 Mar 2016 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on Saturday threatened to fire long-range artillery at Seoul unless South Korean President Park Geun-hye apologizes and punishes those who planned striking the DPRK leadership.
- North Korea threatens nuke strike on US: Video Press TV 27 Mar 2016 -- North Korea has threatened to launch a nuclear strike on Washington if the United States provokes the North, a video shows.
- Iraq's Sadr begins sit-in inside Green Zone Press TV 27 Mar 2016 -- Prominent Iraqi cleric Muqtada al-Sadr has started a promised sit-in inside Baghdad's Green Zone district, vowing to continue the protest action until the government fulfills its pledges for carrying out reforms.
- Myanmar Military Vows to Uphold Democratic Transition VOA 27 Mar 2016 -- Myanmar's powerful military chief vowed to keep the country and its citizens on the road to "prosperity" and warned about the challenges the nation could face as it becomes a democracy.
- Ma-Tsai meeting to focus on power transfer, diplomatic issues People's Daily 27 Mar 2016 -- President Ma Ying-jeou (???) and President-elect Tsai Ing-wen (???) will discuss the transfer of power and cross-Taiwan Strait and diplomatic issues when they meet this coming week, according to officials handling the transition.
- Nigerian protesters call for Shia cleric's release Press TV 27 Mar 2016 -- People in Nigeria have held protest rallies in several cities across the country to demand the immediate and unconditional release of senior Shia cleric and leader of the Islamic Movement of Nigeria (IMN), Sheikh Ibrahim al-Zakzaky.
- Ghana Police to Provide Security for Candidates in Presidential Vote VOA 27 Mar 2016 -- Ghanaian police will provide protection for all presidential candidates and their running mates as part of planned security measures in the run up to the November general election, says Cephas Arthur, Director of Public Relations for the Ghana Police Service.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|