19 March 2016 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Military Strikes Continue Against ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 19 Mar 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- US steps up bombing campaign in Afghanistan: Report Press TV 19 Mar 2016 -- The United States has significantly stepped up its bombing campaign in Afghanistan to roll back the Daesh terrorists who have expanded their territory outside of Iraq and Syria, according to a report.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US to put rotational forces in 5 Philippine bases Press TV 19 Mar 2016 -- The United States and Philippine have reached an agreement that allows for rotational deployment of US military forces at five bases, amid an ongoing standoff with China over the South China Sea.
- New Defense Pact Allows US to Increase Troop Presence in Philippines Sputnik 19 Mar 2016 -- Amid escalating tensions in the South China Sea, the US and the Philippines have formalized a new defense pact that specifies five military bases where American forces will be allowed to operate.
- DA Announces Deployment of Fort Bragg-Based Units DoD 19 Mar 2016 -- The Department of the Army announced today the deployment of two Fort Bragg, North Carolina-based units assigned to the XVIII Airborne Corps. Late this summer, the XVIII Airborne Corps headquarters will deploy about 450 soldiers to Kuwait and the 1st Squadron, 17th Cavalry Regiment, 82nd Combat Aviation Brigade, 82nd Airborne Division will deploy about 400 soldiers to South Korea.
- Arctic Version of Mi-8AMTSh Helicopter Joins Russian Air Force Sputnik 19 Mar 2016 -- The first Mi-8AMTSh-VA helicopter, adapted for freezing Arctic weather conditions, has been delivered to the Russian Armed Forces by the Ulan-Ude Aviation Plant in southeastern Russia, Zvezda TV reported on Friday.
- Armored Buildup: Russia to Turn T-72 Tank Into Advanced War Machine Sputnik 19 Mar 2016 -- While the world has kept its eyes on Russia's military successes in Syria Moscow has continued modernization of its military forces with full force.
- Fearing Beijing and Pyongyang, Tokyo to Extend Surveillance Capabilities Sputnik 19 Mar 2016 -- Citing threats from both China and North Korea, Japan has announced plans to extend its surveillance operations in the East China Sea.
- Britain Expected to Sign 15-Year Defense Deal With Ukraine Sputnik 19 Mar 2016 -- The United Kingdom will sign a 15-year defense treaty with Ukraine providing for an increase in the number of joint training missions and British military instructors, Ukraine Presidential Administration spokesman on military operations Andriy Lysenko said Saturday.
- The Best is Yet to Come: Syrian Army Ends First Stage of Palmyra Offensive Sputnik 19 Mar 2016 -- The Syrian government troops and militias on Saturday successfully finished the first stage of their offensive on jihadist-held ancient city of Palmyra, a source in the Syrian command said.
- Iraq forces close in on Daesh in Anbar's Hit Press TV 19 Mar 2016 -- Iraqi forces have recaptured more areas from the Daesh Takfiri group as they close in on militants holed up in the flashpoint western city of Hit in Anbar Province.
- Cameroonian, Nigerian Forces Free Hundreds of Boko Haram Hostages VOA 19 Mar 2016 -- The militaries of Cameroon and Nigeria have freed hundreds of hostages held by Boko Haram, including dozens of girls and women either forcefully married or held as sex slaves.
- Egypt: Militants Kill 13 Police at Sinai Checkpoint VOA 19 Mar 2016 -- Islamist militants killed at least 13 policemen Saturday in an attack on a checkpoint in the Sinai Peninsula, Egyptian authorities said.
- N Africa al-Qaeda branch claims Algeria gas plant attack Press TV 19 Mar 2016 -- Al-Qaeda's North African affiliate has claimed responsibility for an attack on an Algerian gas plant in the Sahara operated by the British Petroleum (BP) and Norwegian Statoil.
- Prosecutor: Top Suspect in Paris Attack Planned Suicide, Changed Mind VOA 19 Mar 2016 -- A French prosecutor said Saturday that the top suspect in the November terrorist attacks that killed 130 people in Paris planned to blow himself up outside a soccer stadium, but changed his mind.
- Two Americans Among 5 Killed In Istanbul Suicide Blast VOA 19 Mar 2016 -- The White House said two Americans were among five people killed in a suicide bombing Saturday in the main shopping district of Istanbul.
- Suicide Bombing Rocks Istanbul RFE/RL 19 Mar 2016 -- A suicide bomber has killed himself and four others in a central Istanbul shopping district, wounding at least 36 more people in the fourth such attack in Turkey this year.
- UNSC censures North Korea ballistic missile launches Press TV 19 Mar 2016 -- The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) has strongly condemned the recent series of ballistic missile launches by North Korea, calling them a threat to regional and international security.
- DPP denies talk of downgrading allies' importance CNA 19 Mar 2016 -- Taiwan's Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) on Saturday denied a media report which said voices are mounting within the party arguing that 'diplomatic allies are useless' to Taiwan.
- Russia Launches Soyuz TMA-20M Spacecraft With Three New ISS Crewmembers Sputnik 19 Mar 2016 -- Russia has launched the Soyuz TMA-20M space vehicle carrying three new crewmembers to the International Space Station (ISS), a RIA Novosti correspondent reports.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|