08 March 2016 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 08 Mar 2016 [PDF]
- Statement by Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook on Syria Airstrike DoD 08 Mar 2016 -- A U.S. airstrike on March 4, near al Shaddadi, Syria, targeted senior ISIL leader Tarkhan Tayumurazovich Batirashvili, also known as Abu Umar al-Shishani, and 'Omar the Chechen.'
- US Trying to Determine if Key IS Leader Killed in Airstrike VOA 08 Mar 2016 -- The United States is trying to determine if an airstrike last week in Syria killed a top Islamic State leader.
- Department of Defense Press Briefing by Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook in the Pentagon Briefing Room DOD 08 Mar 2016 -- Presenter: Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook
- Strikes Continue Against ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 08 Mar 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Afghan Taliban Urged to Join Peace Talks Without Conditions VOA 08 Mar 2016 -- Pakistan has urged Afghanistan's Taliban not to require conditions for direct peace talks with the Afghan government.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Austin: Partners Taking More Responsibility in Centcom Region AFPS 08 Mar 2016 -- Despite an especially challenging year for the governments and people in U.S. Central Command's area of responsibility, progress is being made in several areas, Centcom's commander told a Senate panel here today.
- Africom Commander: Battling Threats in Africa Calls for Combined Efforts AFPS 08 Mar 2016 -- U.S. Africa Command is using a comprehensive approach in developing defensive capabilities and using diplomacy to address extremist threats before and during the crises that plague many African nations, Africom's commander told the Senate Armed Services Committee here today.
- Special Operations Force Evolves, Adapts to Changing Operational Landscape AFPS 08 Mar 2016 -- U.S. Special Operations Command's personnel continue to learn, evolve and adapt to an operational landscape of rapidly shifting power based on competition and conflict, Socom commander Army Gen. Joseph L. Votel told the Senate Armed Forces Committee today.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Ash Carter's meeting with German Minister of Defense Ursula von der Leyen DoD 08 Mar 2016
- CNO Concludes Trip to Bahrain, Qatar, and Iraq NNS 08 Mar 2016 -- Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) Adm. John Richardson traveled to the 5th Fleet area of operations (AOR) to review Navy support of Operation Inherent Resolve and meet with Sailors.
- Chief of Naval Personnel Testifies before Senate Armed Services Committee NNS 08 Mar 2016 -- The Chief of Naval Personnel, Vice Adm. Bill Moran, testified before the Senate Armed Services Military Personnel Subcommittee today, to provide an overview of the Navy's personnel programs and policies, March 8.
- Army Rangers exercise close air support with F-35s AFNS 08 Mar 2016 -- Although the Air Force separated from the Army in 1947, the two forces have a long history of working together to dominate the sky and ground in combat.
- James: Air Force 'Extremely Busy, Extremely Effective' AFPS 08 Mar 2016 -- Air Force Secretary Deborah Lee James and Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Mark A. Welsh III discussed the State of the Air Force during a press conference at the Pentagon yesterday.
- Trilateral Talks Enhance Cooperation between U.S., Philippines and Japan NNS 08 Mar 2016 -- Leaders from U.S. 7th Fleet, the Philippine Navy and the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force met Mar. 5 aboard the 7th Fleet flagship USS Blue Ridge (LCC 19) during a scheduled port visit. The trilateral talks aim to grow and strengthen relationships between the three nations.
- USS America Prepares for MOB-S Certification NNS 08 Mar 2016 -- USS America's Deck Department wrapped up final preparations for its upcoming Mobility Seaman (MOB-S) certification, beginning March 7.
- USS Barry Enhances Defense, Strength by Joining 7th Fleet NNS 08 Mar 2016 -- Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Barry (DDG 52) entered 7th Fleet area of operations in support of security and stability in the Indo-Asia-Pacific, Mar. 3.
- USS Rushmore Prepares for Planned Maintenance Availability NNS 08 Mar 2016 -- Amphibious dock landing ship USS Rushmore (LSD 47) is slated to begin the chief of naval operations' planned maintenance availability period (PMA) at BAE Systems shipyard in San Diego, March 7.
- NATO Secretary General commends Romania for its contributions to NATO NATO 08 Mar 2016 -- Meeting with Romanian Prime Minister Dacian Cioloş on Tuesday (8 March 2016), NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg thanked Romania for its contributions to Allied security. Calling Romania "a highly valued member of our Alliance," Mr. Stoltenberg stressed that NATO "counts on Romania, and Romania can count on NATO."
- NATO Secretary General discusses key defence reforms with Ukrainian Minister of Defence NATO 08 Mar 2016 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg and Ukrainian Minister of Defence Stepan Poltorak met on Tuesday (8 March 2016) for talks on Ukraine's progress in moving forward with key defence reforms and how NATO can best support this effort. In a meeting of the NATO-Ukraine Commission, the Secretary General, Minister Poltorak and Allied ambassadors also exchanged views on the security situation in Ukraine's east and the state of the implementation of the Minsk agreements.
- Key Resolve and Foal Eagle 16 Flailed by Newspapers KCNA 08 Mar 2016 -- Newspapers in the DPRK Tuesday strongly denounce the U.S. and the south Korean puppet forces for kicking off the largest-ever Key Resolve and Foal Eagle 16 joint military exercises.
- French Planes Shadowed Russian Jets Over English Channel in February Sputnik 08 Mar 2016 -- Two Russian Tu-160 fighter jets took off from Russia, bypassed Norway, the British Isles, where they were met by a British fighter jet, then they remained above the international waters, turned back before the French airspace, according to Chief of Staff of the French Air Force.
- Russia's Anti-Ballistic Insurance: Missile Systems Installed Near Moscow Sputnik 08 Mar 2016 -- Two more state-of-the-art Pantsir-S air defense systems are now operational outside Moscow; they will defend against missile attacks on the Russian capital, according to the country's Defense Ministry.
- China puts development of aircraft engines high on agenda, military expert says People's Daily 08 Mar 2016 -- China is determined to develop new technologies that can benefit national defense in the next five years, according to the draft outline of the 13th Five-Year Plan.
- China plans to build bases in more countries after Djibouti Press TV 08 Mar 2016 -- China says it is planning to construct global "support facilities" in more countries, after starting to construct a logistics center in the African country of Djibouti.
- China's Growing Overseas Presence Aims to Protect Beijing's Interests Sputnik 08 Mar 2016 -- China's ascendance on the international arena comes out from the defence the country's interests abroad, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said Tuesday.
- N Korea claims successful miniaturization of nuclear warheads Press TV 08 Mar 2016 -- North Korea says it has successfully miniaturized nuclear warheads so they can be fit on ballistic missiles.
- IRGC commander: Enemies afraid of Iranian missiles' roar IRNA 08 Mar 2016 -- Commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps Major General Mohammad Ali Jafari said on Tuesday that the enemies are now Shivering from the roar of Iranian missiles.
- Iran test-fires new missiles IRNA 08 Mar 2016 -- In the final stage of 'Velayat Strength' drills staged in several parts of the country on Tuesday, Iran test-fired new missiles.
- Israel within range of most Iran missiles: IRGC chief Press TV 08 Mar 2016 -- The chief of Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) says the Israeli occupied Palestinian territories are within the range of most of the Islamic Republic's missiles.
- IRGC holds final stage of missile drill Press TV 08 Mar 2016 -- The Aerospace Division of Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) is holding the final stage of large-scale missile drills.
- Iran Claims Israeli-Occupied Palestine in Range of Tehran's Missiles Sputnik 08 Mar 2016 -- After concluding large-scale military drills on Tuesday, the head of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) stressed that Tehran's missiles are capable of reaching Palestinian territories occupied by Israel.
- Iran Missile Tests If Confirmed 'Would Not Violate' Agreement - State Dept. Sputnik 08 Mar 2016 -- US Department of State spokesperson said that Iran's alleged ballistic missiles tests, even if confirmed, would not violate the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) agreed on last July.
- Iran Tests Ballistic Missiles VOA 08 Mar 2016 -- Iran said Tuesday it conducted ballistic missile tests at several sites across the country in order to show its 'deterrent power' and readiness to confront threats.
- Lebanon forces fully ready to counter all threats: Army Press TV 08 Mar 2016 -- The Lebanese army says it is fully prepared to repel all types of threats amid Saudi Arabia's growing pressure and reports of an Israeli plan for a new war on the Arab country.
- March 8, 2016 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 08 Mar 2016
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 3/8/2016 The White House 08 Mar 2016
- DoD News: Contracts for March 08, 2016
- Sino-Russian heavy-lift helicopter project underway People's Daily 08 Mar 2016 -- China and Russia have conducted the seventh round of negotiations on their joint development of heavy-lift helicopters. Both sides have reached a consensus on the core technology, said Yu Feng, President of AVIC Helicopter Co. Ltd. on Monday.
- 8 March 2016 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 08 Mar 2016
- China not to be accused of militarizing South China Sea People's Daily 08 Mar 2016 -- There are other countries than China to be accused of militarizing the South China Sea, said Foreign Minister Wang Yi on Tuesday.
- With 2.4 million forcibly displaced, UN concerned situation in Yemen could worsen UN News 08 Mar 2016 -- The conflict in Yemen has forcibly displaced more than 2.4 million people and the situation is likely to worsen, the United Nations refugee agency today reported, calling for humanitarian access to the hardest-hit areas in the country.
- Yemenis inflict losses on Saudi mercenaries Press TV 08 Mar 2016 -- Yemeni army forces backed by fighters from allied Popular Committees have targeted a center of gathering belonging to Saudi mercenaries, leaving a number of them dead or wounded in the fresh retaliatory attacks.
- Houthis, Saudi Arabia involved in negotiations: Report Press TV 08 Mar 2016 -- A London-based newspaper says Saudi Arabia has held direct secret talks with Yemen's Houthis and agreed to more negotiations in the Jordanian capital.
- Key Players No-Shows as Syria Talks Re-Open VOA 08 Mar 2016 -- Political talks between the Syrian government and opposition are set to formally resume Wednesday, although key players will be absent.
- Turkey fires artillery rounds into Syria after alleged attack Press TV 08 Mar 2016 -- Turkey's military opened rounds of artillery fire Tuesday into Syrian territories after an alleged rocket attack from across the border killed one person and injured another.
- Damascus ready to attend talks; opposition remains undecided Press TV 08 Mar 2016 -- Syria has announced its readiness to attend the peace talks slated to resume next week, while the Saudi-backed opposition is still undecided whether to partake in the sessions.
- Syrian Kurds Deny Shelling Turkish Territory Sputnik 08 Mar 2016 -- There were no shelling from the Syrian territory toward Turkey, according to a spokesman for the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF).
- Kurds Account for 80% of US-Trained Syrian Democratic Forces Sputnik 08 Mar 2016 -- About 80 percent of US-supported Syrian Democratic Forces were Kurds, according to Commander of US Special Operations Command (SOCOM).
- US Observes Russian-Kurdish Cooperation in Syria - CENTCOM Commander Sputnik 08 Mar 2016 -- United States has seen Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) in Syria cooperating militarily with Russian forces
- Russia, Syria Attacked No Opposition Groups Party to Ceasefire Sputnik 08 Mar 2016 -- According to Russian Defense Ministry, Russian and Syrian air forces have conducted no airstrikes on opposition groups which had joined the Syrian ceasefire.
- No Peace for Al-Nusra: Syrian Army Advances on Western Idlib Sputnik 08 Mar 2016 -- With a ceasefire currently in place in Syria, the country's army and National Defense Force reportedly managed to take full control of two more villages in the western province of Latakia, in an attack that left dozens of Al-Nusra Front terrorists killed or wounded.
- Syrian Army Begins Assault on Main Daesh Stronghold in Homs Sputnik 08 Mar 2016 -- Syrian army launches offensive against Daesh stronghold in southwestern part of Homs province, according to a source.
- UN expert urges Iraqi Government to protect marginalized ethnic, religious groups UN News 08 Mar 2016 -- A clear message must be sent to all of Iraq's diverse communities that they have a future in the country, an independent United Nations human rights expert today said, calling on the Government to ensure the protection of the most threatened and marginalized ethnic and religious groups.
- Iraqi forces retake region in Anbar from Daesh Press TV 08 Mar 2016 -- Iraqi security forces, backed by army units, have liberated a region in the embattled western Iraqi province of Anbar from the Takfiri Daesh terrorists.
- Analysts: Inaction Strengthens IS in Libya VOA 08 Mar 2016 -- Immediate international action against Islamic State extremists in Libya is needed to prevent the terrorist group from expanding further, regardless of the status of peace talks on a unity government there, analysts say.
- Pakistani forces rescue kidnapped son of famous slain governor Press TV 08 Mar 2016 -- Pakistani counter-terrorism forces have rescued the kidnapped son of a famous slain governor, who was abducted from the eastern city of Lahore five years ago.
- Pakistan Army Kills 21 Militants After Deadly Court Blast VOA 08 Mar 2016 -- Pakistan's military said Tuesday its fresh airstrikes have killed at least 21 militants in the restive North Waziristan tribal region near the Afghan border.
- US Adds to Sanctions Against LRA, Kony VOA 08 Mar 2016 -- The U.S. government has added to the sanctions against the Lord's Resistance Army and the African rebel group's leader, Joseph Kony.
- Analysts See Long Fight Ahead Against Al-Shabab VOA 08 Mar 2016 -- The Pentagon says a U.S. airstrike against al-Shabab in Somalia last Saturday killed more than 150 militants. Analysts say the strike was a major coup but that African Union troops in Somalia still have a long fight ahead of them.
- Russian 'Former Fascist' Who Fought With Separatists Says Moscow Unleashed, Orchestrated Ukraine War RFE/RL 08 Mar 2016 -- In early March 2014, veteran Russian ultranationalist Anton Rayevsky stood near a demonstration in St. Petersburg against Moscow's forceful annexation of Ukraine's Crimean Peninsula that was under way at the time. He held a placard that read: 'Russians support sending Russian troops to Ukraine.'
- Europe-Turkey Deal to Stem Refugee Flow Criticized As 'Inhumane' VOA 08 Mar 2016 -- The European Union and Turkey appear close to striking a deal to try to end the flow of migrants crossing to Greece. The proposal has been criticized by human rights group Amnesty as 'inhumane'.
- UNHCR: Proposal to Halt Migrants May Violate International Law VOA 08 Mar 2016 -- The U.N. refugee agency said Tuesday it is concerned some parts of an EU-Turkey proposal to stem the flow of refugees and migrants into Greece, including a possible blanket return of individuals, may violate international law.
- UN refugee agency 'concerned' about proposed EU deal to send migrants back to Turkey UN News 08 Mar 2016 -- The United Nations refugee agency today expressed a concern about any European response to the migrant crisis that involves the blanket return of all individuals from one country to another without sufficiently spelling out refugee protection safeguards under international law.
- UN rights expert calls on Turkey to reverse seizure of independent media group UN News 08 Mar 2016 -- An independent United Nations human rights expert today called on the Government of Turkey to relinquish State control over Feza Media Group, which includes the Zaman newspaper.
- Undercurrents at China's '2 Sessions' Provide Clues, Questions VOA 08 Mar 2016 -- China's annual meetings in Beijing are a key opportunity in the political calendar for officials to take stock of the past year's successes and failures and fine tune their messaging about key topics such as the economy, environment and social issues.
- S.Korea unveils unilateral sanctions on DPRK People's Daily 08 Mar 2016 -- South Korea on Tuesday unveiled a package of new unilateral sanctions on the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) over its latest nuclear test and rocket launch.
- S. Korean spy agency says DPRK hacks smartphones of gov't officials People's Daily 08 Mar 2016 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) has recently hacked smartphones of dozens of South Korean key government officials to wiretap text messages and voice calls, Yonhap news agency reported on Tuesday citing South Korea's spy agency.
- S Korea Intensifies Sanctions Against North - Prime Minister Office Sputnik 08 Mar 2016 -- Seoul has lengthened the list of the sanctions against North Korea, it contains 38 individuals and 30 enterprises all in all, the South Korean Prime Minister's office announced Tuesday.
- South Korea Sanctions Halt Russian Rail Project with North Korea VOA 08 Mar 2016 -- South Korea imposed new unilateral sanctions against North Korea on Tuesday as Seoul's spy agency blames Pyongyang hackers for recent cyber attacks.
- N.Korea Hacks Dozens of S.Korean Officials' Smartphones Sputnik 08 Mar 2016 -- North Korean hackers sent text messages to the phones of Seoul officials in an attempt to lure them into following links to download malicious software, according to local media.
- China Wants Cordial Relationship With N Korea, but Opposes Nuclear Program Sputnik 08 Mar 2016 -- China continues to maintain partnership with North Korea, however, strongly opposes Pyongyang's nuclear program, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said Tuesday.
- China Ready to Discuss North Korea's Nuclear Issue in Any Format Sputnik 08 Mar 2016 -- China is open to dialogue over North Korea nuclear programme issue in any format, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said Tuesday.
- Iran exports 32 tons of heavy water to US Press TV 08 Mar 2016 -- Iran on Tuesday announced that it had exported 32 tons of heavy water to the United States in what could be a landmark progress in the commercialization of the country's nuclear energy program.
- Netanyahu praises GCC blacklisting of Hezbollah Press TV 08 Mar 2016 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has praised a decision by Persian Gulf Arab states to blacklist Lebanon's Hezbollah resistance movement.
- China-developed the world's first quantum satellite ready to be lunched this July People's Daily 08 Mar 2016 -- The first quantum communications satellite developed by China is expected to launch in July of this year. The Beijing–Shanghai quantum private communications line will also be opened in the second half of this year, according to Pan Jianwei, academic at the Chinese Academy of Sciences, during an interview with China Youth Daily.
- Why will Shenzhou-11 carry only two astronauts to space? People's Daily 08 Mar 2016 -- As part of the country's space lab program, China plans to launch the Shenzhou-11 spacecraft in the fourth quarter of this year, putting it on course to dock with Tiangong-2, according to the program's spokesperson.
- China to Launch Space Telescope, Similar to "Hubble", Only Field of View 300 Times Larger People's Daily 08 Mar 2016 -- China is to launch an "optical module" along with the under-construction space station, said Zhang Yulin, Deputy to the National People's Congress and Deputy Minister of Central Military Commission Equipment Development Department, on March 7, 2016.
- U.S. wants to maintain dialogue with Taiwan: official CNA 08 Mar 2016 -- The United States wants to maintain dialogue with Taiwan, which is a strong partner of the country, a U.S. State Department official said Monday.
- Not much chance of meeting between Tsai and Xi: official CNA 08 Mar 2016 -- The likelihood of a meeting between Taiwan's President-elect Tsai Ying-wen (蔡英文) and Chinese leader Xi Jinping (習近平) is not great, the head of Taiwan's Mainland Affairs Council said Tuesday.
- Venezuela opposition begins campaign to depose Maduro Press TV 08 Mar 2016 -- Venezuela's opposition has begun a campaign to bring down the government of President Nicolas Maduro amid growing political tensions in the crisis-hit country.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|