06 March 2016 Military News
- Military Strikes Continue Against ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 06 Mar 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Afghanistan to be Daesh graveyard: President Ghani Press TV 06 Mar 2016 -- Afghanistan's President Ashraf Ghani says the Takfiri Daesh terrorist group has been defeated in the militant-riddled eastern parts of the war-ravaged country.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US May Use National Guard Cyber Operations Against Militants AFPS 06 Mar 2016 -- The U.S. National Guard's cyber unit may join the fight against the Islamic State terrorist group in Iraq and Syria, Defense Secretary Ashton Carter said.
- 2,100 US forces arrive in South Korea for joint drills Press TV 06 Mar 2016 -- About 2,100 US troops have arrived in South Korea to hold a joint military exercise that is likely to stir more tensions in the Korean peninsula, after North Korean leader Kim Jong-un ordered his military forces to prepare for using nuclear weapons.
- Boxer Receives 5th Consecutive Battle 'E' NNS 06 Mar 2016 -- For the fifth consecutive year, amphibious assault ship USS Boxer (LHD 4) was selected to receive the Battle Effectiveness (Battle 'E') Award by Commander, Naval Surface Forces Pacific.
- NATO Secretary General welcomes expansion of NATO deployment in the Aegean Sea NATO 06 Mar 2016 -- NATO took swift decisions to deploy ships to the Aegean Sea to support our Allies Greece and Turkey, as well as the EU's border agency FRONTEX, in their efforts to tackle the migrant and refugee crisis. NATO ships are already collecting information and conducting monitoring in the Aegean Sea. Their activity will now be expanded to take place also in territorial waters.
- NATO to Expand Activities to Territorial Waters of Greece, Turkey Sputnik 06 Mar 2016 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said that the NATO's efforts aimed at helping both Ankara and Athens to cope with human trafficking and criminal networks, fueling the ongoing migrant crisis.
- Over 500 Intelligence Troops Conduct Drone Exercises in North Ossetia Sputnik 06 Mar 2016 -- Southern Military District (SMD units waged a reconnaissance opertion by means of unmanned aerial vehicles in the Republic of North Ossetia-Alania, the district's press service said Sunday.
- Over 300 Russian Communication Troops Hold Drills in North Ossetia Sputnik 06 Mar 2016 -- According to district's press service, over 300 troops with Russia's Southern Military District (SMD) communications brigade concluded special tactical training exercises in the internal Russian republic of North Ossetia.
- Full Speed Ahead! Russian Warship Sets Sail for Mediterranean Mission Sputnik 06 Mar 2016 -- The Russian guided missile destroyer Smetlivy has left the country's southwestern port of Sevastopol for the Mediterranean Sea, according to the Russian Defense Ministry.
- North Korea slams US-South Korea military drills Press TV 06 Mar 2016 -- North Korea has slammed the upcoming US-South Korea joint military drills, saying Washington will be held accountable for "igniting war" on the Korean peninsula.
- Egypt, French Navies Launch Joint Exercises in Mediterranean Sputnik 06 Mar 2016 -- French navies will take part in Egyptian naval and aviation exercises in the Mediterranean sea, named 'Ramses-2016', according to the Arab Republic of Egypt's Defense Ministry.
- Military police accused of illegal search of civilian's home CNA 06 Mar 2016 -- The Military Police Command said Sunday that a recent investigation into an illegal online sale of classified government documents was legal, after it was accused of searching the seller's home without a warrant.
- Shelling in Syria's Aleppo kills 14, injures 40 Press TV 06 Mar 2016 -- Terrorist militants have fired a barrage of mortars and rockets into a busy market in the northern Syrian city of Aleppo, leaving at least 14 people dead and 40 more injured.
- Disillusioned Volunteer Says Syria A Battle For War Booty, Territory RFE/RL 06 Mar 2016 -- Ideals give way to disillusionment easily in Syria, where foreign militants who go with ideals of helping the Syrian population often find themselves embroiled in battles between rival groups for plunder and territory instead.
- Daesh Hunts for Elders, Local Leaders Joining Syrian Truce Sputnik 06 Mar 2016 -- Daesh terrorists are taking efforts to capture elders and administration leaders of towns, field commanders of 'moderate' Syrian opposition, who had signed ceasefire agreements in order to set the ceasefire regime back, according to the Russian center for Syrian reconciliation.
- Russian Reconciliation Center Records 15 Ceasefire Violations in 24 Hours Sputnik 06 Mar 2016 -- Over the past 24 hours the cessation of hostilities in Syria was violated 15 times, according to the Russian reconciliation center.
- Nusra Front Terrorists Shell Turkey to Provoke Return Fire Sputnik 06 Mar 2016 -- The Nusra Front terrorists shelled Turkish territory several times from Syria to provoke return fire from Turkish armed forces, the head of Russia's reconciliation center said Sunday.
- Spring Cleaning: Syrian Army Crushes Terrorists in Latakia Province Sputnik 06 Mar 2016 -- Amid a ceasefire arrangement that has restored calm to much of Syria and the promise of Aleppo regaining access to electricity, the Syrian Army and the country's National Defense Force have continued a joint offensive against terrorist groups in the western province of Latakia, media reports said.
- Dozens killed in multiple explosions across Iraq Press TV 06 Mar 2016 -- Scores of people have been killed in a series of terror attacks across Iraq as violence continues unabated in the Arab country, Iraqi media report.
- Ban highlights Algeria's 'great progress' while raising alarm on situation in Libya UN News 06 Mar 2016 -- Visiting Algeria for the second time as United Nations Secretary-General, Ban Ki-moon today said great progress has been made in the country since terrorist attacks in 2007 devastated UN Headquarters in Algiers, while underlining "alarming" developments in Libya that could amount to war crimes.
- '1992 consensus' recognized as key to cross-strait peace: MAC CNA 06 Mar 2016 -- Taiwan has reaffirmed that the '1992 consensus' and 'one China, different interpretations' are the key to institutionalized talks and interactions between the two sides of the Taiwan Strait after Chinese leaders made similar remarks stressing Beijing will adhere to the consensus as a political foundation.
- China will not make direct contact with DPP: Beijing negotiator CNA 06 Mar 2016 -- China will not make direct contact with Taiwan's Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) unless the party changes the Taiwan independence clause in its party platform, the top Chinese negotiator with Taiwan said Sunday.
- Beijing not to permit Taiwan split from China: President Xi Press TV 06 Mar 2016 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping has warned Taiwan against any independence drive, saying Beijing will never give the self-ruled island nation permission to break off from the mainland.
- China's President Warns Taiwan Against Moves Toward Independence VOA 06 Mar 2016 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping has issued a strong warning to Taiwan and its incoming, independence-leaning government.
- Armed men kill 12 in Central African Republic Press TV 06 Mar 2016 -- Gunmen have killed a dozen villagers in the Central African Republic in the first violent incident since Faustin-Archange Touadera took office as president this week.
- Egyptian forces kill 22 militants in Sinai Peninsula Press TV 06 Mar 2016 -- Nearly two dozen Takfiri militants have reportedly been killed when Egyptian army forces carried out two separate operations against their positions in the country's restive Sinai Peninsula.
- Israel planning new war on Lebanon: Report Press TV 06 Mar 2016 -- The Israeli regime is seeking to launch a new war on Lebanon in the wake of Saudi Arabia's recent decision to cut its multi-billion-dollar aid to the Lebanese army, a report says.
- 1,250 PKK militants killed in SE Turkey since last July: Report Press TV 06 Mar 2016 -- The Turkish military says over 1,000 members of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) have been killed since operations against the militants started in the country's troubled southeastern regions last July.
- Nigeria Army to Pay for Education of Slain Soldiers' Children VOA 06 Mar 2016 -- Nigeria's army said it would pay for the education of at least four children for each solider killed in the counterinsurgency fight against the Islamist militant group Boko Haram in parts of the country's north.
- Newspapers Reject UNSC's 'Resolution on Sanctions' against DPRK KCNA 06 Mar 2016 -- Leading newspapers here Sunday resolutely reject the UN Security Council's 'resolution on sanctions' against the DPRK.
- India's Gujarat on high alert over militant infiltration concerns Press TV 06 Mar 2016 -- India has deployed elite security forces to Gujarat amid concerns over the infiltration of a group of militants from Pakistan into the country's westernmost state, police say.
- Ukrainian Protesters Attack Russian Embassy, Demand Pilot's Release RFE/RL 06 Mar 2016 -- Hundreds of protesters gathered outside the Russian Embassy in Kyiv on March 6 to demand Moscow release Ukrainian pilot Nadia Savchenko.
- Ukraine PM Says Opponents Fail to Offer Alternative Plan to End Crisis Sputnik 06 Mar 2016 -- Ukrainian Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk prioritized job creation, tackling poverty, economic growth and continuing to pursue reforms introduced two years ago.
- Slovak Ruling Party Loses Parliament Majority, Despite Electoral Win VOA 06 Mar 2016 -- Slovakia's leftist ruling party will begin negotiations Sunday with smaller political parties in an attempt to form a coalition government after losing its parliamentary majority in Saturday's elections.
- Slovakia's Fico Begins Coalition Talks After Election Setback RFE/RL 06 Mar 2016 -- Slovakia's leftist Prime Minister Robert Fico has begun talks to form a new government following legislative elections that left his Smer-SD party significantly weakened.
- US declares Venezuela a 'threat', renews sanctions against Caracas Press TV 06 Mar 2016 -- US President Barack Obama has renewed an executive order that declares Venezuela a threat to the US, extending sanctions against the South American country for one more year.
- China Punished About 280,000 Officials in Anti-Corruption Campaign in 2015 Sputnik 06 Mar 2016 -- According to Chinese ruling Communist Party's anti-graft watchdog, in 2015 more than 280,000 Chinese officials were punished for corruption and other breaches of law.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|