28 February 2016 Military News
- Coalition Strikes Hit ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 28 Feb 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Hurricane Hunters fly research missions into atmospheric rivers AFNS 28 Feb 2016 -- The 53rd Weather Reconnaissance Squadron, "Hurricane Hunters," spent Feb. 11-24 flying through 'atmospheric rivers' in the Pacific Ocean stretching from Hawaii to U.S. West Coast in efforts to improve storm predictions.
- Five Russian Weapons Which Made Their Deadly Debut in Syria Sputnik 28 Feb 2016 -- Russia's ongoing airborne campaign in Syria wouldn’t have been such a game changer without the help of some of the country’s most sophisticated weapons.
- Zarif: No damage to be made in Iran's defense, missile program ISNA 28 Feb 2016 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad-Javad Zarif reiterated that no damage would be made to Iran's missile program, providing parts and required defense equipment.
- Russia does not refuse to deliver S-300 missile defense: Defense min IRNA 28 Feb 2016 -- Minister of Defense and Logistics of the Armed Forces Brigadier-General Hossein Dehqan said on Sunday that Russian Federation does not refuse to deliver S-300 missile defense system.
- Yemeni forces capture over 100 Saudi troops, kill dozens more in Ma'rib Press TV 28 Feb 2016 -- Yemeni forces have managed to capture 101 Saudi soldiers in the west-central Ma'rib province, killing dozens others.
- Yemen: Ban condemns apparent airstrike on Sana'a market; calls for prompt investigation UN News 28 Feb 2016 -- Condemning an apparent airstrike in Yemen that reportedly killed at least 32 civilians in a market northeast of Sana'a on Saturday, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has called for a prompt and impartial investigation into the incident, which saw a death toll that was among the highest from a single bombing in recent months.
- Turkey 'Main Violator' of Ceasefire Regime in Syria's North Sputnik 28 Feb 2016 -- The Syrian ceasefire is generally holding, apart from Turkey violating it in the country’s north, a member of the Syrian opposition delegation formed after meetings in Moscow and Cairo told Sputnik on Sunday.
- Nusra Front Shells Syrian Opposition in Latakia, Killing Civilians Sputnik 28 Feb 2016 -- The Nusra Front terrorists shelled a Desert Falcons opposition unit in Syria’s Latakia, killing and wounding militia members and civilians, the Russian Defense Ministry said in a statement Sunday.
- Syrian Army Not Returning Fire at Russian Request After Damascus Shelled Sputnik 28 Feb 2016 -- The Syrian army, following a request from the Russian center on reconciliation, did not return fire after Damascus was shelled Saturday from the regions of Ghuta and Jobar, the Russian Defense Ministry said in a statement Sunday.
- Despite Air Strikes, Syria Truce Appears To Be Intact On Second Day RFE/RL 28 Feb 2016 -- Monitors in Syria say several air strikes struck targets in northwestern and central parts of the country on February 28, but a truce between government troops and moderate opposition forces appeared to be broadly intact on its second day.
- ICRC president: Time to end this horrendous war in Syria IRNA 28 Feb 2016 -- President of the International Committee of the Red Cross, Peter Maurer, urged the parties to Syrian conflict to allow aid deliveries to all people in need and to continue to work towards a political solution to end the suffering of millions of people.
- Militant rocket attacks kill civilians in Syria's Latakia Press TV 28 Feb 2016 -- A number of Syrian civilians have been killed in a series of rocket attacks by foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants against residential areas in the coastal province of Latakia.
- Russia registers 9 truce violations in Syria in past 24 hours Press TV 28 Feb 2016 -- A Russian ceasefire monitoring center in Syria says it has registered at least nine truce violations in Syria over the past 24 hours.
- Turkey violates Syria truce by shelling Kurds: Kurdish official Press TV 28 Feb 2016 -- A senior Kurdish official says Turkish forces have once again fired shells into Syrian towns controlled by Kurdish forces, violating a ceasefire that has recently come into effect in the Arab country.
- Syrian army kills 35 Daesh terrorists near Tal Abyad Press TV 28 Feb 2016 -- At least 35 Takfiri Daesh terrorists have been killed in clashes with the Syrian army on the suburbs of the conflict-ridden country's northern town of Tal Abyad.
- 70 killed in two Baghdad bomb attacks Press TV 28 Feb 2016 -- Two bomb attacks at a crowded market in the Iraqi capital, Baghdad, have killed at least 70 people, police and medical sources say.
- Iraqi forces, militants clash west of Baghdad Press TV 28 Feb 2016 -- Iraqi armed forces have clashed with militants in Baghdad's western suburb of Abu Ghraib, as violence continues across the Arab country.
- IS Launches Twin Attacks on Baghdad Outskirts VOA 28 Feb 2016 -- Islamic State militants launched twin suicide attacks on the western and eastern outskirts of Baghdad on Sunday, killing dozens of people.
- Ukraine military forces shell Donetsk airport, Luhansk Press TV 28 Feb 2016 -- The Ukrainian army has shelled the airport in the self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic (DPR) and the territory of the self-proclaimed Luhansk People's Republic (LPR) in violation of a shaky truce in the eastern regions of Ukraine.
- Regional Talks on al-Shabab Urge Resumption of Military Operations VOA 28 Feb 2016 -- The Somali president and leaders of countries contributing to the African Union force in Somalia (AMISOM) are calling for the immediate resumption of military operations against the al-Shabab militant group.
- Al-Shabab terrorist attacks kill 17 in Somalia Press TV 28 Feb 2016 -- Takfiri al-Shabab militants in Somalia have killed at least 17 people in two separate bomb attacks northwest of the country's capital, police say.
- Military operation kills 100 Boko Haram terrorists in Nigeria: Commander Press TV 28 Feb 2016 -- Cameroonian and Nigerian soldiers have conducted a joint operation, killing about 100 members of the Boko Haram Takfiri terrorist group while pushing the militants out of a northeastern Nigerian village, a commander says.
- Leader thanks nation over elections turnout Press TV 28 Feb 2016 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei has thanked the Iranian nation for its massive participation in the country's recent twin elections.
- Khamenei Praises Iran Vote, Urges Focus on National Interests VOA 28 Feb 2016 -- Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei called on those elected to parliament and the important Assembly of Experts to act in the interests of Iran and stand against the influence of outsiders.
- Reformists Make Gains In Iranian Elections RFE/RL 28 Feb 2016 -- Allies of Iran's self-styled moderate President Hassan Rohani have made significant gains in the parliamentary elections, winning all 30 of Tehran's contested seats in parliament, according to the latest results.
- Iran's Supreme Successors RFE/RL 28 Feb 2016 -- The succession question in Iran has come to the fore recently with the election of a new Assembly of Experts, the 88-member chamber of (male) theologians who pick and nominally oversee the work of the country's supreme leader. Speculation mounted about potential successors to Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei after the 76-year-old ayatollah underwent prostate surgery in 2014, and rumors about his health continue to circulate.
- Lebanon will offer no apology to Saudi Arabia: Hezbollah Press TV 28 Feb 2016 -- A senior member of Lebanon's Hezbollah resistance movement has slammed the Saudi regime's plot to plunge the country into an "internal strife," saying Lebanon will not apologize for speaking the "word of truth."
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|