27 February 2016 Military News
- Military Strikes Target ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 27 Feb 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- US Will Keep 'Warthog' Flying to Combat Islamic State VOA 27 Feb 2016 -- The U.S. has put off the retirement of a 1970s era fighter plane, citing its effectiveness in the fight against the Islamic State military group among the reasons for keeping the jets flying.
- At Least 25 Dead After Suicide Attacks in Afghanistan VOA 27 Feb 2016 -- A suicide bomber attacked Afghan security forces near the Defense Ministry building in Kabul Saturday, killing at least 12 people and wounding 13 others, said police officials.
- Blast kills 12 outside Afghan Defense Ministry Press TV 27 Feb 2016 -- At least a dozen people were killed Saturday in a bomb attack outside the Afghan Defense Ministry in Kabul, PressTV reports.
- Bombing kills at least 10 in east Afghanistan Press TV 27 Feb 2016 -- A bomber riding a motorcycle has detonated his explosives near a governor's house in Kunar Province in eastern Afghanistan, killing at least 10 people.
- UN Prods Pakistan to Deal with Afghan Refugees VOA 27 Feb 2016 -- The United Nations says it is "eagerly awaiting" Pakistan's solution on the status of around 1.5 million Afghan refugees in the country, insisting they continue to need asylum and protection.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Pentagon's Multi-Billion Dollar Radar Blimps Can't Track Targets Sputnik 27 Feb 2016 -- The Pentagon's JLENS program caused massive embarrassment when one of the $1 billion surveillance balloons broke loose in Maryland in October 2015. A new report has revealed more bad news: the expensive radar blimps aren't effective.
- U.S. Marines, JGSDF integrate fire power during Exercise Iron Fist 2016 USMC News 27 Feb 2016 -- U.S. Marines and Japan Ground Self-Defense Force soldiers with the Western Army Infantry Regiment conducted a supporting arms coordination center exercise (SACCEX), at San Clemente Island, Feb. 22-23, as part of Exercise Iron Fist 2016.
- Standing NATO Maritime Group Two conducts drills in the Aegean Sea NATO 27 Feb 2016 -- Aegean Sea - Standing NATO Maritime Group 2 (SNMG2) is patrolling in the Aegean Sea in the area between Greece and Turkey. SNMG2 arrived in the Aegean Sea to participate in national and international efforts to cut the lines of illegal trafficking and illegal migration in the Aegean Sea, as mandated by the North Atlantic Council.
- US Deploys 3 B-52 Nuclear Bombers to NATO Exercise in Europe Sputnik 27 Feb 2016 -- US Air Force B-52 Stratofortress bombers based at Barksdale Air Force Base in the state of Louisiana have been redeployed to Moron Air Base, Spain.
- North Korea says has developed new laser-guided anti-tank weapon Press TV 27 Feb 2016 -- North Korea says it has developed a new laser-guided weapon that could turn enemy tanks into 'boiled pumpkins.'
- Iran Navy plans to hold joint military drills with India ISNA 27 Feb 2016 -- Iran's Navy chief said the Islamic Republic plans to hold joint military drills with India.
- MOFA sticks to argument that Diaoyutais secretly annexed by Japan CNA 27 Feb 2016 -- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) insisted on Saturday that it is consistent with historical facts to describe Japan's occupation of the Diaoyutai Islands as a 'secret annexation.'
- Syrian Kurds repel major Daesh attack on northern town Press TV 27 Feb 2016 -- Kurdish forces have repelled a massive Daesh attack on the northern Syrian towns located close to the border with Turkey.
- 37 Daesh Takfiris killed in Iraqi pro-government forces operation Press TV 27 Feb 2016 -- More than three dozen members of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group have been killed in an operation by fighters from the pro-government Popular Mobilization Units in Iraq's northern oil-rich province of Kirkuk.
- Daesh attacks Sinjar with chemical arms: Kurdish authorities Press TV 27 Feb 2016 -- The Daesh Takfiri terrorist group has launched chemical attacks on Iraq's Kurdish town of Sinjar, wounding dozens of people, authorities say.
- 34 pro-Taliban militants killed in Pakistan army operation Press TV 27 Feb 2016 -- At least 34 pro-Taliban militants were killed Saturday in the Pakistani army's latest ground and aerial attack in the country's northwestern tribal areas near the border with Afghanistan.
- Death Toll in Mogadishu Blasts Up to 25 VOA 27 Feb 2016 -- Authorities in Somalia say the death toll from two explosions near a Mogadishu hotel late Friday has risen to 25 people.
- Plans underway in Ukraine to 'regain Crimea' Press TV 27 Feb 2016 -- Kiev is preparing a special military unit in a bid to retake Crimea, the Ukrainian premier says.
- President hails people's broad participation in elections IRNA 27 Feb 2016 -- President Hassan Rouhani praised the nation's exceptional turnout of in the elections and said their massive participation created very glamorous and spectacular scenes.
- Time for unity, interaction following elections: Rafsanjani Press TV 27 Feb 2016 -- Chairman of Iran's Expediency Council Ayatollah Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani has commended the massive turnout in the country's vital double elections, calling for further unity and interaction following the Friday votes.
- Rohani, Rafsanjani Leading In Iran's Assembly of Experts Race RFE/RL 27 Feb 2016 -- Preliminary results from Iran's vote for the Assembly of Experts show President Hassan Rohani, a self-proclaimed moderate, and his ally, the pragmatic former President Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani,are leading in Tehran.
- Kadyrov Says He's Ready To Step Down RFE/RL 27 Feb 2016 -- Kremlin-backed Chechen leader Ramzan Kadyrov has said he is ready to resign.
- Russia Marks One Year Since Nemtsov Killing RFE/RL 27 Feb 2016 -- Supporters of slain Kremlin critic Boris Nemtsov have marched through Moscow to mark the first anniversary of his killing.
- Thousands of Russians Mark Anniversary of Opposition Leader's Murder VOA 27 Feb 2016 -- More than 20,000 Russians marched through central Moscow Saturday to honor the memory of opposition politician Boris Nemtsov, who was killed in the shadow of the Kremlin one year ago.
- Balkan Nations Put Daily Caps On Migrants Despite UN Protest RFE/RL 27 Feb 2016 -- Four Balkan countries announced daily caps on migrant arrivals on February 26, prompting criticism from the head of the United Nations.
- Wang: China won't be major rival to US People's Daily 27 Feb 2016 -- Foreign Minister Wang Yi rejected the notion that China will become a major rival of the United States or supersede it.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|