21 February 2016 Military News
- Coalition Continues Counter-ISIL Strikes in Syria, Iraq AFPS 21 Feb 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- US Withdrawal From Afghanistan 'Emboldened' Taliban, Raised Civilian Deaths Sputnik 21 Feb 2016 -- The US and NATO withdrawal from Afghanistan emboldened the Taliban to carry out more daring attacks in populated areas, a general in the country's interior forces told Sputnik Dari.
- Roadside bombs kill 11 civilians, injure 2 in southeast Afghanistan Press TV 21 Feb 2016 -- Nearly a dozen civilians have lost their lives and two others sustained injuries in separate bomb explosions that struck their vehicles in Afghanistan's southeastern province of Paktika in the past few days.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US Air Force test-launches Minuteman III nuclear missile Press TV 21 Feb 2016 -- The US Air Force has launched a Minuteman intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) from a California launch site in order to test the nuclear-capable missile system.
- Russia's Northern Fleet Receives New Bastion Coastal Defense Systems Sputnik 21 Feb 2016 -- The servicemen of the independent rocket-artillery brigade of Russia's Northern Fleet have received Bastion (NATO reporting name SSC-5) mobile coastal defense missile systems, the fleet's spokesman said Sunday.
- Russia-Iran defense ministers to mull closer cooperation IRNA 21 Feb 2016 -- Russian Minister of Defense Sergei Shoigu is to confer with Iranian Minister of Defense and Logistics of the Armed Forces Brigadier-General Hossein Dehqan on expansion of mutual cooperation, it was announced on Sunday.
- Russia's defense minister arrives in Iran for talks Press TV 21 Feb 2016 -- Russian Minister of Defense Sergei Shoigu has arrived in Tehran to hold talks with senior Iranian officials on the latest regional developments and ways to promote defense and military cooperation.
- Iran to Test Domestically Manufactured Missiles Within Month Sputnik 21 Feb 2016 -- The chief of staff of the Iranian Armed Forces said that Tehran will missiles test within a month.
- Turkey 'Has Right to Operations in Syria or Anywhere Else' - Erdogan Sputnik 21 Feb 2016 -- Turkey has the right to carry out operations in Syria or anywhere else where Ankara sees a threat, Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Saturday.
- Missile-savvy security minister replaces North Korea military head Press TV 21 Feb 2016 -- North Korea has assigned a new missile-savvy military chief after the alleged execution of the former one.
- Secret US-N.Korea Peace Treaty Talks Failed Before Pyongyang's Nuclear Test Sputnik 21 Feb 2016 -- The United States and North Korea held secret talks to reach a peace treaty and formally end the Korean War, which broke down and were followed by Pyongyang's nuclear test last month, US media cited officials familiar with the events on Sunday.
- Top DPRK leader guides military drills People's Daily 21 Feb 2016 -- Top leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) Kim Jong Unrecently guided war maneuvers of the army's large combined units and watched a flight drill, the official KCNA news agency reported Sunday.
- Taiwan will not develop nuclear weapon: defense ministry CNA 21 Feb 2016 -- Taiwan will continue to maintain its stance of not developing or storing nuclear weapons, the Ministry of National Defense (MND) said Sunday, in response to a U.S. magazine article that revealed Taiwan's efforts to acquire such weapons in the 1970s.
- Germany mulling troop deployment in Tunisia for training mission Press TV 21 Feb 2016 -- Germany is considering dispatching troops to Tunisia to allegedly help train soldiers in the fight against Daesh Takfiri group.
- Saudi military base captured by Yemeni forces Press TV 21 Feb 2016 -- Yemeni army forces, backed by fighters from allied Popular Committees, have gained control of a military base in Saudi Arabia's Najran Province.
- Yemeni forces bring down Saudi spy drone in Jizan Press TV 21 Feb 2016 -- Yemeni forces have successfully brought down a Saudi spy drone in the kingdom's southwestern border region of Jizan, reports say.
- Saudi-Led Coalition Airstrike Kills 30 in North Yemen Sputnik 21 Feb 2016 -- At least 12 children and 10 women were killed during an airstrike by a Saudi-led coalition against the Shiite Houthis in Yemen, according to a local source.
- Islamic State Claims Deadly Blasts near Damascus, Homs VOA 21 Feb 2016 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said Sunday a 'provisional agreement' has been made with Russia for a ceasefire in Syria's five-year civil war, but violence continued unabated throughout the country, with scores of people killed in two separate attacks claimed by the Islamic State group.
- US-led airstrikes futile, boots needed in Syria: Saudi prince Press TV 21 Feb 2016 -- Saudi Prince Turki al-Faisal says the US-led airstrikes allegedly targeting Daesh Takfiri militants in Syria have been ineffective and a ground intervention is needed as Riyadh pushes to win support for its latest scheme in the war-torn Arab country.
- US, Russia reach provisional deal on Syria truce, says Kerry Press TV 21 Feb 2016 -- US Secretary of State John Kerry says he and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov have struck a provisional deal on terms of a cessation of hostilities in Syria, indicating that the two sides are still in disagreement on some issues.
- Syria forces kill 50 Daesh militants in Aleppo Press TV 21 Feb 2016 -- Syrian government forces have killed at least 50 Daesh Takfiri militants while making advances in the northern province of Aleppo, reports say.
- Turkey president defends Syria bombing as 'legitimate defense' Press TV 21 Feb 2016 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has once again defended Ankara's bombing of Kurdish regions in Syria as "legitimate defense" amid ongoing calls to end the deadly campaign.
- Syrian forces liberate strategic power station in Aleppo Press TV 21 Feb 2016 -- Syrian forces and volunteer fighters have managed to regain control of a strategic thermal power station in the northwestern province of Aleppo.
- Truce must stop Turkey's support for militants: Assad Press TV 21 Feb 2016 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad says he is ready for a ceasefire on condition that it stops Turkey and other countries from sending militants and weapons into the country.
- Scores Killed In Syria Blasts, As U.S., Russia Reach 'Provisional Accord' On Truce RFE/RL 21 Feb 2016 -- Syrian activists and pro-government media say more than 100 people have been killed in a series of explosions in government-held areas of Syria.
- Al-Nusra Front Terrorists Ask the UN for Protection Against Russia Sputnik 21 Feb 2016 -- Russian airstrikes have forced al-Qaeda-affiliated terrorist organization al-Nusra to appeal for help in the United Nations, Germany's Deutsche Wirtschafts Nachrichten reports.
- Syria to View Saudi, Turkish Troops as Terrorists if Invasion Launched Sputnik 21 Feb 2016 -- Bashar Assad said that if Saudi Arabia and Turkey send their troops to Syria, the Damascus authorities will treat them as terrorists.
- Anti-Damascus Sanctions Among Reasons Behind Syria Refugee Crisis - Assad Sputnik 21 Feb 2016 -- Bashar Assad said that Western sanctions against Syria were a contributing factor in the difficult situation with refugees in the country.
- Syrian Army Encircles Hundreds of Daesh Terrorists in Continuing Crackdown Sputnik 21 Feb 2016 -- The Syrian Army and the country's National Defense Force have destroyed militant groups' positions in a spate of provinces across Syria in the past 24 hours.
- Support of Russia, Iran Key to Success of Syrian Army Advance - Assad Sputnik 21 Feb 2016 -- The support from Russia and Iran has contributed a lot to the progress of Syria's army, Syrian President Bashar Assad said.
- Iraq vows Mosul liberation by yearend Press TV 21 Feb 2016 -- Iraq's defense minister tells PressTV that the country has undertaken a decisive battle to clear the northern city of Mosul of Daesh presence by the yearend.
- Libyan Troops Reclaim Key Port From Daesh Press TV 21 Feb 2016 -- The Libyan army has regained a strategic port near Libya's second-largest city of Benghazi from Daesh jihadists, Arabic media reported Sunday, citing the Libyan military press service.
- UN: Children Biggest Victims of 2-Year Conflict in E. Ukraine VOA 21 Feb 2016 -- The U.N. children's fund calls the daily suffering endured by more than 500,000 Ukrainian children victimized by two years of conflict intolerable.
- Israeli Security Intercept Drone Shipment to Gaza Sputnik 21 Feb 2016 -- The camera-equipped drones aboard an Israeli truck carrying toys were designated to be used by 'terrorist elements in Gaza' to gather intelligence on the Israeli Defense Force (IDF) movements, according to local media.
- US, Britain meddling in Iran elections disgraceful: Cmdr. ISNA 21 Feb 2016 -- A senior Iranian commander said meddling by the US and Britain in Iran's upcoming elections, including campaigning for or against a particular candidate, is a "disgraceful and insulting" move and a violation of the Islamic Republic's independence and national sovereignty.
- Ban commends peaceful holding of elections in the Central African Republic UN News 21 Feb 2016 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has commended the peaceful holding of elections in the Central African Republic (CAR) this past Sunday, calling for the timely holding of the second round of legislative elections to complete the political transition process.
- Former premier, math professor wins CAR presidential runoff Press TV 21 Feb 2016 -- A former Central African Republic (CAR) premier has been elected following the country's presidential runoff, vowing to end corruption and instability in the country.
- Missing radioactive material found in south Iraq: Officials Press TV 21 Feb 2016 -- "Highly dangerous" radioactive material that had gone missing in Iraq last year has been found dumped near a petrol station in the country's south, officials say.
- Too Good To Be True: Eastern Europe's Deceptively Stable Little Currency RFE/RL 21 Feb 2016 -- A breakaway splinter of land laden with post-Soviet disaffection and aging heavy industry wedged among dysfunctional economies hardly sounds like a winning formula for exchange-rate tranquility.
- Tunisian President Extends State of Emergency for Another Month Sputnik 21 Feb 2016 -- Tunisian President Beji Caid Essebsi decided once again to declare a state of emergency for a month, starting from February 22, 2016, according to official statement.
- China Confident in Stable Trade Growth in 2016 People's Daily 21 Feb 2016 -- China's commerce minister has expressed confidence in the recovery of foreign trade despite the global economic prospects remaining grim this year.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|