20 February 2016 Military News
- Strikes Hit ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 20 Feb 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Statement by Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook on Serbian Hostages in Libya DoD 20 Feb 2016
Defense Policy / Programs
- US kept nukes on Okinawa: Pentagon Press TV 20 Feb 2016 -- The Pentagon has revealed that the United States had held nuclear weapons on Okinawa, Japan during the Cold War.
- Al Udeid shop operates most productive AF wheel, tire repair facility AFNS 20 Feb 2016 -- The 379th Expeditionary Maintenance Squadron operates the only wheel and tire repair facility in the U.S. Central Command area of responsibility and the most productive facility in the Air Force.
- Dunford, Egyptian Defense Leaders Discuss Bilateral Relationship AFPS 20 Feb 2016 -- Marine Corps Gen. Joseph F. Dunford Jr., the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, met with senior Egyptian military leaders in Cairo today.
- NATO member states wary of Turkey's row with Russia Press TV 20 Feb 2016 -- Some NATO member states have expressed alarm at Turkey's escalation with Russia, saying they would not get involved in a potential confrontation.
- Russia sends fighter jets to Armenia base near Turkey Press TV 20 Feb 2016 -- The Russian Defense Ministry said Saturday that Moscow has deployed several fighter jets and a transport helicopter to Russia's airbase in Armenia near the border with Turkey.
- Russia Strengthens Erebuni Airbase in Armenia With Fighter Jets, Helicopter Sputnik 20 Feb 2016 -- A new group of MiG-29 and MiG-29S multirole fighter jets as well as a Mi-8MT military transport helicopter have been deployed to the Russian airbase in Armenia, the press service of the Russian Southern Military District said on Saturday.
- Russia's Air Defense Forces Undertake S-300 Exercises in Abkhazia Sputnik 20 Feb 2016 -- Russian Southern Military District press service said that air defense units deployed at the Russian military base in Abkhazia destroyed a simulated enemy target using S-300 and Osa air defense systems.
- Russia Re-Activates Mothballed Military Airfield in Crimea Sputnik 20 Feb 2016 -- Russia has started the renovation of a 'conserved' airfield on the Crimean Peninsula to deploy Black Sea Fleet's naval helicopters and drones after 2017, a source in the Sevastopol city administration said Saturday.
- DPRK's artillery fire heard in frontline island: Yonhap People's Daily 20 Feb 2016 -- An artillery fire from the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) was heard near a South Korean border island in western waters, Yonhap news agency reported Saturday citing military authorities.
- North Korea fires artillery near sea border with South: Seoul Press TV 20 Feb 2016 -- Seoul says North Korea has fired artillery shots during an apparent military exercise near a disputed maritime border with the South amid heightened tensions between the two neighbors.
- Nigeria's Army Establishes Offices to Handle Human Rights Violations VOA 20 Feb 2016 -- The Nigerian army has established an office of human rights at its headquarters in the capital, Abuja, to continue training officers about the need to respect the rights of citizens in the ongoing fight against Islamic insurgent group Boko Haram, and other terrorist groups, according to military spokesman Colonel Sani Kukasheka Usman.
- China accuses US of militarizing South China Sea Press TV 20 Feb 2016 -- China has slammed US military build-up in the South China Sea, saying it is Washington, and not Beijing, which is truly militarizing the disputed waters by conducting patrols there.
- Obama: We Will Continue to Test China Over Disputed Islands Sputnik 20 Feb 2016 -- The US has declared that they will push China on the issue of disputed islands, promising to "test" China while accusing them of abusing their "might."
- Al-Qaeda terrorists overrun town in southern Yemen Press TV 20 Feb 2016 -- Members of the al-Qaeda terrorist group have reportedly taken over a town in Yemen's southern province of Abyan amid the continuing Saudi war that has thrown the country into chaos.
- Blasts Kill 46 in Homs; Syrian Rebels Ready for Truce if Russia Halts Airstrikes VOA 20 Feb 2016 -- A human rights monitor says the death toll from double blasts in the central Syrian town of Homs has risen to 46 people with dozens more wounded.
- Syrian army liberates 18 villages in Aleppo from Daesh Press TV 20 Feb 2016 -- Syrian army forces have managed to liberate at least 18 villages from the Daesh Takfiri group in the east of the northern Aleppo province.
- Russian FM insists on halting Turkey's aggression in Syria Press TV 20 Feb 2016 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has called for a halt in Turkey's attempts to violate Syria's territorial integrity in talks with his American counterpart, John Kerry.
- US, Russia agree to continue humanitarian aid in Syria: Kirby Press TV 20 Feb 2016 -- US Secretary of State John Kerry and Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov have agreed on continuing the flow of humanitarian assistance to the conflict-stricken parts of Syria.
- Damascus 'regrets' West rejection of Russian draft resolution Press TV 20 Feb 2016 -- Syria's deputy foreign minister said Saturday that Damascus is disappointed over a decision by the West to reject a Russian draft resolution aimed at de-escalating tensions in Syria.
- Damascus condemns 'outrageous' Turkey campaign in Syria Press TV 20 Feb 2016 -- Damascus has denounced Turkish artillery shelling inside the Syria territory as an "outrageous violation" of international law, saying Ankara is targeting civilians in the Arab country.
- Syrian Kurdish forces retake strategic city from Daesh Press TV 20 Feb 2016 -- An alliance of Kurdish and Arab forces has managed to seize the strategic city of Shaddadah in the Syrian northeastern province of Hasakah from the Daesh Takfiri terrorists.
- U.S., France Rebuke Russia At UN Over Syrian Escalation RFE/RL 20 Feb 2016 -- Western powers batted down an attempt by Russia to focus United Nations efforts against Turkey in the escalating Syrian war, and called on Moscow to stick with plans for a truce in the region.
- Russia 'Regrets' UN Draft Rejection To Stop Turkish Military Actions In Syria RFE/RL 20 Feb 2016 -- Russia has expressed regret that the United Nations Security Council rejected its bid to stop Turkey's military actions against Syria.
- Syria Opposition Open To 'Possibility' Of Truce RFE/RL 20 Feb 2016 -- Syria's main opposition group says it is open to the possibility of a truce, even as it slammed Russia and the Syrian regime after a deadline for a cessation of hostilities passed.
- Syrian Army Regains Control Over Aleppo Heating Plant Sputnik 20 Feb 2016 -- Syrian government forces fought off the heating power plant in the Neir al-Hosn settlement in the northwestern Syria's province of Aleppo, according to a source.
- Syrian Democratic Forces Liberate Key Town in Oil-Producing Province Sputnik 20 Feb 2016 -- The Syrian Democratic Forces, backed by US-led coalition air strikes, has reportedly managed to retake the strategic town of al-Shaddadah in the northeastern province of Al-Hasakah.
- SDF Continues Advance on Rebel Stronghold Azaz Despite Turkish Shelling Sputnik 20 Feb 2016 -- Syrian Democratic Forces have continued their advance on the town of Azaz in northern Aleppo province, a key Turkey-backed stronghold and supply point.
- Fallujah clashes continue between Iraqi tribesmen, Daesh terrorists Press TV 20 Feb 2016 -- Clashes between Iraqi tribesmen and Takfiri Daesh terrorists in the city of Fallujah continued on Saturday for a second day, as Iraq's forces go on with the battle to rid the country of terrorists.
- Turkey Wants Unconditional US Support in Fight Against YPG VOA 20 Feb 2016 -- Turkey's prime minister on Saturday called on the United States to give his government unconditional support in the fight against the Syrian Kurdish YPG militia "without ifs and buts."
- Luhansk People's Republic to Hold Local Elections on April 24 - Decree Sputnik 20 Feb 2016 -- Local elections in the self-proclaimed Luhansk People's Republic (LPR) in eastern Ukraine will be held on April 24, according to a decree by LPR leader Igor Plotnitsky.
- Former PM Touadera Elected CAR President VOA 20 Feb 2016 -- Faustin Archange Touadera, former prime minister of the Central African Republic, on Saturday was declared the winner of the February 14 presidential election.
- Incumbent Museveni wins Uganda's presidential election for fifth term Press TV 20 Feb 2016 -- Uganda's President Yoweri Museveni has won the East African nation's presidential election, extending his three decades in power.
- U.S. Anti-DPRK Sanctions Denounced KCNA 20 Feb 2016 -- A spokesman for the DPRK Foreign Ministry issued the following statement on Saturday;
- Iranians will follow guidelines of Leader to take part in elections IRNA 20 Feb 2016 -- President Hassan Rouhani said on Saturday that all regional countries have a close watch on Iran's February 26 elections and that Iranian nation will absolutely follow guidelines of the Supreme Leader about taking part in elections on February 26.
- Iran oil exports to rise by 500K barrels in current month: Official Press TV 20 Feb 2016 -- An official at the National Iranian Oil Company (NIOC) says Iran will increase its crude oil exports by 500,000 barrels per day (bpd) during the current month.
- Ankara announces new anti-terror 'action plan' in wake of blast Press TV 20 Feb 2016 -- Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu says his country is set to introduce fresh security measures following a recent blast that claimed the lives of 28 people in Ankara.
- Venezuela sends proposals to oil majors Press TV 20 Feb 2016 -- Venezuela has announced that it is sending new proposals to key oil producers in an attempt which it says is meant to help stabilize the prices.
- Radioactive water leak suspends Japan's reactor start-up Press TV 21 Feb 2016 -- A radioactive water leak has suspended plans to reboot a reactor at a nuclear power plant in southern Japan, its operator said Sunday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|