14 February 2016 Military News
- Operation Inherent Resolve Counter-ISIL Strikes Continue in Syria, Iraq AFPS 14 Feb 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Civilian Casualties Hit New High in 2015 UNAMA 14 Feb 2016 -- The number of civilian casualties in Afghanistan during 2015 are the highest recorded, the UN said today on the release of its 2015 Annual Report on Protection of Civilians in Armed Conflict.
- Transcript: Release of UNAMA's 2015 Annual Report on the Protection of Civilians in Armed Conflict UNAMA 14 Feb 2016 -- The following is a near-verbatim transcript, edited for clarity, of a press conference on 14 February 2016 about the release of UNAMA's 2015 Annual Report on the Protection of Civilians in Armed Conflict.
- Afghan civilian casualties at record high in 2015: UN Press TV 14 Feb 2016 -- The United Nations says Afghanistan saw the highest number of civilian casualties last year since 2009, as the country has been mired in a long war with Taliban militants.
- The Winter Storms Of Northern Afghanistan RFE/RL 14 Feb 2016 -- The situation in northern Afghanistan, in areas along the border with Central Asia, has been deteriorating for more than two years now. Local officials, military officials, and residents of the northern provinces admit there are districts near or at the border of Central Asia that are currently under the control of the Taliban and their foreign militant friends.
- UN: Afghan Civilian Casualties Hit New High in 2015 VOA 14 Feb 2016 -- The United Nations said Sunday Afghan hostilities left more than 3,500 civilians dead and nearly 7,500 others wounded in 2015, an increase of four percent in civilian casualties from the previous year.
- Afghan casualties hit record high 11,000 in 2015 - UN report UN News 14 Feb 2016 -- The United Nations reported today that Afghan hostilities in 2015 left more than 3,500 civilians dead, including an unprecedented number of children – one in four casualties over the past year was a child – and nearly 7,500 others wounded, making this the highest number of civilian casualties recorded.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Future USS Portland (LPD 27) Launches NNS 14 Feb 2016 -- The future USS Portland (LPD 27) was successfully launched at the Huntington Ingalls Industries (HII) shipyard Feb. 13.
- Antietam, McCampbell Complete IFR 2016 in India NNS 14 Feb 2016 -- The forward-deployed Ticonderoga-class guided-missile cruiser USS Antietam (CG 54) and Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS McCampbell (DDG 85) concluded the International Fleet Review (IFR) 2016 in India with a passing exercise (PASSEX) that involved multiple international navies in formation.
- The US Navy's 'ghost hunter' to set sail People's Daily 14 Feb 2016 -- The US Navy is set to unleash an army of 'ghost boats' to scour the coasts for enemy submarines.
- Cuba Returns Missing US Hellfire Missile Sputnik 14 Feb 2016 -- US State Department spokesman Mark Toner said the Cuban government has returned a wrongly shipped missing air-to-surface Hellfire missile to the United States, national media reported Saturday.
- Between Reassurance and Reengagement? The Future of NATO UK MOD 14 Feb 2016 -- Speaking on a panel discussion wt the Munich Security Conference, the Defence Secretary spoke about how conflicting threat assessments and divergent strategic priorities among NATO member states be reconciled in the run-up to the Warsaw Summit.
- US Trains Cameroon Military on Landmines Detection VOA 14 Feb 2016 -- The United States is training the Cameroon military in techniques of detecting and counteracting landmines and explosive devices. The training comes due to the increasing use of landmines and suicide bombings by Boko Haram militants.
- North Korea Forms New Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles Unit - Reports Sputnik 14 Feb 2016 -- North Korea has formed a new military unit to deploy intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBM), South Korean media cited its government sources as saying Sunday.
- Iran's defense minister due in Russia for military talks Press TV 14 Feb 2016 -- Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehqan is to visit Russia to discuss ways to boost defense and military cooperation between the two countries.
- Decisive Rebuff? Iraq Sends Military Forces to Border With Saudi Arabia Sputnik 14 Feb 2016 -- Saudi Arabia started large-scale military exercises close to the Iraqi border. The military training known under name 'Northern Thunder' involves ground and air forces from Egypt, Sudan, Jordan and several other Arab and Islamic countries.
- Islamabad Surprised With Indian Stance on US' Sale of F-16 to Pakistan Sputnik 14 Feb 2016 -- Islamabad is surprised and disappointed over Indian reaction to the US decision to sell F-16 fighter aircraft to Pakistan, the country's foreign ministry said in a statement Sunday.
- Saudi Arabia confirms sending warplanes to Turkey 'for Daesh fight' Press TV 14 Feb 2016 -- Saudi Arabia confirms it has dispatched warplanes to the Incirlik Air Base in southern Turkey, claiming that the move was in line with the so-called fight against Daesh Takfiri terrorists in Syria.
- Remarks After Meeting With Albanian Prime Minister Edi Rama US Dept. of State 14 Feb 2016
- Saudi warplanes conduct airstrikes across Yemen Press TV 14 Feb 2016 -- Saudi warplanes conducted new airstrikes across Yemen on Sunday as the regime in Riyadh goes on with its relentless campaign against the impoverished country.
- Yemeni forces kill 6 Saudi soldiers in retaliatory attacks Press TV 14 Feb 2016 -- Yemeni army forces, backed by fighters from allied Popular Committees, have killed six Saudi soldiers in retaliation for the Arab kingdom's deadly aggression against their country.
- Sending troops to Syria detrimental in absence of gov't request IRNA 14 Feb 2016 -- Secretary of Iran's Supreme National Security Council (SNSC) Ali Shamkhani said Sunday that dispatching troops to Syria without request of Syrian government will escalate crisis and further complicate the situation.
- Turkey to Extend Strikes on US-Allied Kurdish Fighters in Syria VOA 14 Feb 2016 -- Turkey says it will continue to target U.S.-allied Kurdish fighters on the Syrian frontier near its border, despite mounting international pressure on the Ankara government to stop the artillery bombardments.
- Obama Urges Putin to Halt Airstrikes Against Syrian Opposition VOA 14 Feb 2016 -- U.S President Barack Obama has discussed the Syria crisis with Russian President Vladimir Putin, emphasizing the importance of Moscow playing 'a constructive role by ceasing its air campaign against moderate opposition forces in Syria.'
- Turkish artillery keeps pounding Kurdish areas in northern Syria People's Daily 14 Feb 2016 -- The Turkish artillery continued to shell Kurdish areas in northern Syriafor the second straight day on Sunday, killing and wounding nine fighters of a Kurdish group, a monitor group reported.
- Iran will defend Syria's airspace if Damascus requests Press TV 14 Feb 2016 -- A senior Iranian air force commander says Iran is prepared to defend Syria's airspace if Damascus calls for it.
- Turkish forces cross into Syria: Damascus Press TV 14 Feb 2016 -- The Damascus government says Turkish forces have entered war-torn northern Syria to help foreign-backed militants fighting against the government of President Bashar al-Assad.
- France urges Turkey to stop bombing Syria Kurdish regions Press TV 14 Feb 2016 -- The French foreign ministry has called on Turkey to stop bombing Kurdish regions in northern Syria, saying it will deteriorate the situation in the war-torn country.
- Saudi awaits US order for troops deployment in Syria: Jubeir Press TV 14 Feb 2016 -- Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir has said that any decision for the deployment of special forces to Syria would follow the will of the US-led coalition allegedly hitting hideouts of the Takfiri Daesh militants.
- 'Syria opposition' criticizes Munich truce deal Press TV 14 Feb 2016 -- A Saudi-backed so-called opposition group in Syria has criticized an international ceasefire plan for Syria that was reached recently in Munich.
- McCain slams Syria peace plan for empowering Russia Press TV 14 Feb 2016 -- The newly announced truce deal for Syria, forged by the International Syria Support Group (ISSG), will only empower Russia which is engaged in "diplomacy in the service of military aggression,' says Senator John McCain.
- Turkey shelling supports terrorists: Syria Press TV 14 Feb 2016 -- Syria has taken Turkey's shelling of its territory to the UN, saying it amounts to "direct Turkish support for terrorist groups."
- Turkey continues attacking northern Syria for 2nd day Press TV 14 Feb 2016 -- The Turkish military has reportedly shelled positions of the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) in northern Syria for the second day.
- Syrian army forces make fresh advances against Takfiri terrorists Press TV 14 Feb 2016 -- Syrian government forces, backed by fighters from allied popular defense groups, have made fresh gains in their battle against foreign-sponsored Takfiri terrorists across the Arab country.
- Turkey calls for YPG withdrawal from Syrian border Press TV 14 Feb 2016 -- Having confirmed the shelling on the positions of the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG), Ankara has called for the withdrawal of YPG forces from northern Syrian border regions.
- U.S. Senator Blasts Syria Truce Deal, Says Serves Putin's Purposes RFE/RL 14 Feb 2016 -- U.S. Senator John McCain has sharply criticized an international agreement on a cessation of hostilities in Syria, calling it 'diplomacy in the service of military aggression' by Russia.
- Medvedev Warns Against Any Foreign Ground Operation In Syria RFE/RL 14 Feb 2016 -- Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev says that any ground operation by foreign troops in Syria will lead to 'a full-fledged, long war.'
- Turkey Says Will Continue Attacks On Kurdish Targets In Syria RFE/RL 14 Feb 2016 -- Turkey says it will continue to conduct strikes against Kurdish fighters in Syria, despite growing pressure on Ankara to stop the shelling amid a truce deal backed by world powers.
- Turkish Army Shelling Kurdish Barracks in Northern Syria - Source Sputnik 14 Feb 2016 -- The Turkish army's artillery has begun shelling of Kurdish People's Protection Units' (YPG) barracks near the Syrian city of Afrin in the country's north, a militia source said Sunday.
- Russian PM Slams 'Futile' Threats of Possible Ground Operation in Syria Sputnik 14 Feb 2016 -- Countries taking part in the Syrian crisis settlement should look for a compromise, instead of threatening to launch a ground operation in the country, Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev said, commenting on a recent statement by US Secretary of State John Kerry.
- Some 400 Militants Arrive in Syria Through Turkey to Help al-Nusra Front Sputnik 14 Feb 2016 -- Some 400 militants of the Sham Legion militant group have arrived in the Syrian province of Aleppo through the Turkish territory to help al-Nusra Front terrorist group, media reported Sunday.
- Sweet Dream? Saudi Arabia Mulls Removing Syria's Assad by Force Sputnik 14 Feb 2016 -- Saudi Arabian foreign minister Adel al-Jubeir has warned that if the Syrian political process fails, President Bashar Assad will have to be removed 'by force.'
- Next Stop Raqqa: Syrian Army Poised to Enter Daesh Stronghold Sputnik 14 Feb 2016 -- With a number of strategic positions on the border of Raqqa province already retaken, the Syrian Army is now poised to advance into the Daesh-held northern region, Iranian media reported citing a Syrian military sources on Saturday.
- Turkish PM Says N.Syria Airbase Shelling 'Retaliation' to Kurdish Forces Sputnik 14 Feb 2016 -- Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said that Turkish forces shelled Kurdish People's Protection Units positions in northern Syria as a retaliatory measure.
- Turkish Security Forces Kill Nine PKK Militants in Southeast of Country Sputnik 14 Feb 2016 -- Turkish security forces killed nine members of the Kurdistan Workers' Party in the country's southeast.
- Observers: Fighting Flares In Eastern Ukraine, Residents In 'Dire' Situation RFE/RL 14 Feb 2016 -- Fighting between Russia-backed separatists and government forces has flared in eastern Ukraine and the humanitarian situation is 'dire,' the head of Europe's main security organization has told RFE/RL.
- Boko Haram militants trained in Somalia: President Press TV 14 Feb 2016 -- Somali President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud says Nigeria's Boko Haram militants have been trained in his country before going back to West Africa.
- South Korea Shut Joint Industrial Zone Independently Sputnik 14 Feb 2016 -- South Korean officials have independently decided to shut down a border industrial zone.
- N.Korean Govt Confiscated Up to 70% Joint Industrial Zone Workers' Wages Sputnik 14 Feb 2016 -- The North Korean government has confiscated up to 70 percent of the Kaesong industrial zone jointly run with South Korea to allegedly spend on its nuclear program, South Korean Unification Ministry said Sunday.
- China opposes unilateral sanctions against N.Korea People's Daily 14 Feb 2016 -- China will not follow the US in imposing unilateral sanctions on North Korea, and the possible deployment of an advanced US missile defense system in South Korea will only complicate the security situation in the Asia-Pacific region, observers said.
- Iran aims for fierce nuclear market rivalry Press TV 14 Feb 2016 -- Iran said on Sunday that it has started marketing for its nuclear energy products including heavy water, stressing that it plans to make its products more competitive with international rivals.
- US Praises Albania for MEK Resettlement VOA 14 Feb 2016 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry has used a visit to Albania to thank the government for resettling members of an Iranian opposition group known as the Mujahedin e Khalq, or MEK.
- Central African Republic Votes in Presidential Runoff VOA 14 Feb 2016 -- Voters in the Central African Republic went to the polls Sunday in the final round of presidential elections and in a re-run of elections to the national assembly.
- Experts Call for Comprehensive Approach Against Al-Shabab VOA 14 Feb 2016 -- In recent days, al-Shabab fighters killed individuals accused of collaborating with the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) in the town of Marka after the international force withdrew.
- FM slams UK report on Hong Kong People's Daily 14 Feb 2016 -- The UK should not interfere in Chinese affairs, observers said Saturday, after a British government report claimed that Hong Kong publisher Lee Bo had been 'involuntarily' taken to the Chinese mainland, a claim which China has strenuously denied.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|