13 February 2016 Military News
- Coalition Continues Counter-ISIL Strikes in Syria, Iraq AFPS 13 Feb 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Taliban admits losing 13 in US drone hits in SE Afghanistan Press TV 13 Feb 2016 -- Two US assassination drone attacks in Afghanistan's southeastern Paktika Province has reportedly killed more than a dozen people with Taliban militants confirming the loss of 13 elements.
- 6 Afghan security personnel killed in Taliban attacks Press TV 13 Feb 2016 -- At least six Afghan security personnel were killed on Saturday in two separate attacks carried out by Taliban militants in southern Afghanistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Facing Russia, NATO Seeks Balance Of Deterrence, Dialogue RFE/RL 13 Feb 2016 -- NATO must mix robust deterrence and 'hard-headed engagement' with Russia to address the potential threats posed by Moscow's aggressive activity, senior officials of the alliance and member states said on February 13.
- NATO Secretary General calls for more defence and more dialogue NATO 13 Feb 2016 -- In a keynote speech at the Munich Security Conference, NATO Secretary General focused on the security challenges stemming from the East. He made clear that the Alliance does not seek confrontation and does not want a new Cold War, but will respond firmly. He made clear that the response lies with 'both more defence and more dialogue.'
- NATO policies triggered new Cold War: Russia premier Press TV 13 Feb 2016 -- Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev has slammed NATO's "unfriendly" policies on Moscow, saying strained ties between the two sides have deteriorated into a "new Cold War" era.
- Russia Under Pressure At Top Security Conference RFE/RL 13 Feb 2016 -- Russia came under pressure at a prominent security conference on February 13, facing rebukes from Western leaders over its interference in Ukraine, its bombing campaign in Syria, and what the head of NATO denounced as dangerous 'posturing' about its nuclear might.
- 'UK must maintain submarine Trident' Press TV 13 Feb 2016 -- The UK must renew its submarine-borne Trident nuclear weapons system if it is to maintain its "outsized" role in the world affairs, said US Defense Secretary Ash Carter.
- US Wants Britain to Renew Its Nuclear Missile System – Ashton Carter Sputnik 13 Feb 2016 -- US Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter Wants the UK to renew its Trident nuclear missile system so that Britain can continue its "outsized" hegemonic role in the world.
- Antarctic air squadron to be set up People's Daily 13 Feb 2016 -- China will set up an Antarctic air squadron this year to support its scientific expeditions to the polar region, according to the State Oceanic Administration.
- US approves sale of F-16 jets to Pakistan, angering India Press TV 13 Feb 2016 -- The United States has approved selling up to eight Lockheed Martin F-16 fighter jets to Pakistan, along with training, radar and other equipment, provoking anger from neighboring rival India.
- Saudi Arabia Stations Warplanes at Turkish Airbase - Defense Ministry Sputnik 13 Feb 2016 -- Saudi Arabia has deployed its combat aircraft at Turkey's Incirlik airbase near the Syrian border, an adviser to the country's defense ministry confirmed Saturday.
- Saudi Arabia to Send Jets to Turkish Base for Air Missions in Syria Sputnik 13 Feb 2016 -- Saudi Arabia is deploying warplanes to the Turkish Incirlik base to fight Daesh, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said.
- China opposes possible U.S. THAAD deployment in S. Korea People's Daily 13 Feb 2016 -- Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi on Friday spoke out against the possible deployment of an advanced U.S. missile defence system in South Korea, stressing that it would complicate the regional stability situation.
- US deploys new Patriot missiles to South Korea Press TV 13 Feb 2016 -- The United States has temporarily deployed an additional Patriot missile battery in South Korea in response to North Korea's nuclear test and a long-range rocket launch.
- US Deploys Additional Defensive Patriot Missile System in South Korea VOA 13 Feb 2016 -- The United States has temporarily deployed an additional Patriot missile battery in South Korea. The move was done in response to North Korea's nuclear test and long-range missile launch.
- Background Briefing on Secretary Kerry's Travel to Tirana, Albania US Dept. of State 13 Feb 2016
- Yemeni missiles hit Saudi airport, military base in Asir province IRNA 13 Feb 2016 -- The Yemeni forces pounded an important airport and a key military base in Asir province with two missiles.
- Yemeni forces recapture hilltops in Ta'izz Press TV 13 Feb 2016 -- Yemeni forces have managed to establish control over a mountainous area in Yemen's southwestern province of Ta'izz following heavy clashes with Saudi-backed militants.
- Zarif: Syrians themselves must take decision of Assad's presidency IRNA 13 Feb 2016 -- Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said on Saturday that taking any decision on the future of President Bashar Assad lies with the Syrian nation themselves.
- Syrian army plans advance into militant-held Raqqah Province: Source Press TV 13 Feb 2016 -- The Syrian army intends to advance into the militant-held northern province of Raqqah, after having liberated several positions at the provincial border of the militants' stronghold.
- Turkey bombards Kurdish-held areas of Syria's Aleppo Province Press TV 13 Feb 2016 -- Turkey's artillery on Saturday shelled areas controlled by Kurdish fighters in Syria's northern province of Aleppo.
- Russia sends new cruise missile ship Zeleny Dol to Syria: Report Press TV 13 Feb 2016 -- The Russian Navy has dispatched a new warship equipped with cruise missiles to the Mediterranean, with reports saying that it is bound for Syria.
- Syria troops capture another village near Aleppo Press TV 13 Feb 2016 -- Syrian government forces managed to gain more grounds against foreign-backed militants on Saturday in the northern province of Aleppo, liberating another village there.
- Ankara: Turkey, Saudi could launch ground operation in Syria Press TV 13 Feb 2016 -- Ankara says Turkey and Saudi Arabia could launch a ground operation in Syria, adding the kingdom is also sending jets to a Turkish base.
- Turkey may act to reverse Syrian army gain near border Press TV 13 Feb 2016 -- Ankara is likely to take action to counter the Syrian military and allied groups on choking up a supply link on which militants relied to get weapons and logistics.
- Syria militants get new missiles from foreign backers: Sources Press TV 13 Feb 2016 -- Takfiri militants in Syria have reportedly received new supplies of Grad missiles from their foreign supporters in the face of their recent losses against the Syrian army.
- Russia Keeps Bombing Despite Syrian Truce Agreement RFE/RL 13 Feb 2016 -- Russia pressed on with its bombing campaign in support of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad on February 12 despite agreeing to a pause in combat in Munich negotiations.
- Reports: Turkey, Saudi Arabia Mulling Ground Operations Against IS In Syria RFE/RL 13 Feb 2016 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu reportedly said that his country and Saudi Arabia may launch ground operations against the Islamic State (IS) group in Syria.
- Turkey Shells Kurdish Targets In Syria As U.S. Urges Calm RFE/RL 13 Feb 2016 -- Turkish forces struck Kurdish militia targets in northern Syria on February 13, and Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu demanded that the group withdraw from the area it recently captured.
- Turkish Forces Begin Shelling of Airbase Held by Kurds in Syria's Aleppo Sputnik 13 Feb 2016 -- Turkish forces started shelling Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG] postions on the territory of the Minnigh airbase in Syria's northern Aleppo region, according to local media.
- Medvedev Warns Against Discussing Possible Ground Operation in Syria Sputnik 13 Feb 2016 -- Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev awared of putting at a disposal a possiblity of waging a ground operation in Syria, stating that this would be a wrong turn in negotiations.
- Heavy Fuel: Syrian Army Obliterates Daesh Oil Tankers in Daraa Province Sputnik 13 Feb 2016 -- The Syrian Army and the country's National Defense Force have reportedly destroyed a number of oil tankers owned by Daesh (ISIL/ISIS) terrorists in southwestern Syria's Daraa Province.
- Kerry: Syrian Crisis at a Turning Point VOA 13 Feb 2016 -- The crisis in Syria has reached a turning point, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said Saturday, and decisions made in the near future could either end the war or "define a very difficult set of choices for the future."
- US Urges Restraint from Turkey, Kurdish Militia Near Aleppo VOA 13 Feb 2016 -- The U.S. State Department voiced fresh concern Saturday over reports of Turkish military strikes on Kurdish militia in northern Syria, urging both Turkey and Syrian Kurds to exercise restraint as tensions approach the breaking point in the troubled region.
- Russia, France Dispute Moscow's Actions in Syria VOA 13 Feb 2016 -- Russia's prime minister says accusations his country is bombing civilians in Syria are 'just not true.'
- Kerry urges Russia to change targets in Syria Press TV 13 Feb 2016 -- US Secretary of State John Kerry calls on Russia to change its military targets in Syria and reiterates sanctions threat over Ukraine.
- Iraq deploys forces in preparation for Mosul liberation Press TV 13 Feb 2016 -- Hundreds of Iraqi forces have arrived at a base southeast of the northern city of Mosul in preparation for a major operation aimed at retaking the city from Daesh terrorists.
- MiG-23 fighter jet shot down over Libya's Benghazi Press TV 13 Feb 2016 -- A MiG-23 fighter jet of Libya's internationally recognized government has been shot down while carrying out airstrikes against militant positions in the coastal city of Benghazi.
- Russia sanctions to remain until Minsk deal fully implemented: US Press TV 13 Feb 2016 -- US Secretary of State John Kerry says economic sanctions against Russia will continue as long as Moscow does not implement all aspects of the Ukraine peace agreement reached a year ago in Minsk, Belarus.
- Foreign Ministers Discuss Eastern Ukraine Conflict, Minsk Deal RFE/RL 13 Feb 2016 -- Senior diplomats from Ukraine, Russia, Germany, and France met in Munich on February 13 to discuss the situation in eastern Ukraine and implementation of the Minsk II agreement on steps to end the conflict there.
- 4 fighters, 2 Indian soldiers killed in latest Kashmir clashes Press TV 13 Feb 2016 -- Indian army troops and police forces have killed four suspected pro-independence fighters, and suffered two fatalities themselves in the latest clashes between the two sides in the Indian-controlled portion of Kashmir.
- South Sudan Rebel Leader to Return to Juba VOA 13 Feb 2016 -- South Sudan rebel leader Riek Machar has said he will return to the country's capital, Juba, once his troops are in place to provide security. Machar held a news conference in Addis Ababa a day after South Sudan's president reappointed him as vice president.
- Zero-sum policy in region to result in total loss: Iran FM ISNA 13 Feb 2016 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said a "zero-sum perspective" on regional issues will result in "total loss."
- Al-Shabab Claims Responsibility for Somali Plane Bomb VOA 13 Feb 2016 -- Somali militant group Al-Shabab has claimed responsibility for the bomb blast aimed at bringing down a Somali airliner earlier this month.
- 'Damn Lies, Deep Crisis' In Russian Economy, Says Former Central Banker RFE/RL 13 Feb 2016 -- A former deputy chairman of the Russian Central Bank has said Russia's economic crisis is worse than Moscow admits and that the Kremlin's optimism about future prospects 'has not been based on reality.'
- Pro-government Burundians protest Rwanda's meddling Press TV 13 Feb 2016 -- Thousands of pro-government demonstrators have protested in Burundi against Rwanda's meddling in the internal affairs of their country.
- A First: Uganda's Museveni Takes Part in Presidential Debate VOA 13 Feb 2016 -- Six Ugandan presidential candidates waited for several minutes after being introduced at Saturday evening's debate before President Yoweri Museveni appeared belatedly on stage.
- Ahead of polls, Ban calls on all Central Africans, including candidates, to ensure credible elections UN News 13 Feb 2016 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has called on all Central Africans, including the candidates, to ensure that the presidential run-off and the new round of legislative elections, set to take place Sunday are conducted in a peaceful and credible manner.
- Venezuela oppositions vows to topple President Maduro Press TV 13 Feb 2016 -- Venezuela's opposition has vowed to speed up efforts to oust President Nicolas Maduro after a top court gave him expanded authority over the country's struggling economy.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|