06 February 2016 Military News
- Coalition Strikes ISIL Targets in Syria, Iraq AFPS 06 Feb 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Afghan interior minister offers resignation amid worsening insecurity: Sources Press TV 06 Feb 2016 -- Afghanistan's Interior Minister Noor-ul-Haq Olomi has offered his resignation amid growing criticism over the deteriorating security situation in the war-wracked country.
- Afghanistan peace meeting urges direct talks with Taliban Press TV 06 Feb 2016 -- Representatives from Pakistan, Afghanistan, China and the United States have concluded their talks aimed at drawing up a roadmap for putting an end to the Afghan war with a call for direct negotiations between the Kabul government and the Taliban militant group by the end of February.
- Nations To Press For Direct Peace Talks With Taliban By End Of February RFE/RL 06 Feb 2016 -- Representatives from four nations involved in talks aimed at ending the violence in Afghanistan have agreed to continue to push for direct peace talks between the Taliban and the Afghan government by the end of the month.
- 4-Party Talks Agree on Afghan Peace 'Roadmap' VOA 06 Feb 2016 -- Representatives of United States, China, Pakistan and Afghanistan adopted a road map Saturday in Islamabad to facilitate direct peace talks between the Afghan government and Afghan Taliban.
- US Drones, Afghan Forces Kill 28 IS Fighters VOA 06 Feb 2016 -- Authorities in Afghanistan said Saturday national security forces and U.S. drone strikes have jointly killed at least 28 Islamic State (IS) fighters in a restive eastern region bordering Pakistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Pentagon to buy 404 Lockheed F-35 jets: Sources Press TV 06 Feb 2016 -- The US Defense Department will buy 404 Lockheed Martin Corp F-35 fighter jets during the next five years, according to sources familiar with the plan.
- Stratcom Assessment: North Korea Launches Missile AFPS 06 Feb 2016 -- Detected and assessed as a North Korean launch, U.S. Strategic Command systems tracked a missile today on a southerly route over the Yellow Sea.
- D.P.R.K. Missile Launch US Dept. of State 06 Feb 2016 -- "The United States strongly condemns today's missile launch by the D.P.R.K. - a flagrant violation of UN Security Council Resolutions related to the D.P.R.K. use of ballistic missile technology."
- North Korea Rocket Launch Deemed Successful and Deplorable VOA 06 Feb 2016 -- North Korea launched a long-range rocket Sunday, carrying what it said is a satellite in defiance of U.N. sanctions barring it from using ballistic missile technology.
- Statement by National Security Advisor Susan E. Rice on the North Korean Missile Launch The White House 06 Feb 2016
- Saudi airstrikes kill six Yemeni civilians Press TV 06 Feb 2016 -- At least six more civilians have lost their lives in two separate Saudi aerial attacks against residential neighborhoods in Yemen's southwestern province of Ta'izz.
- Al-Qaeda overrun police headquarters in southern Yemen Press TV 06 Feb 2016 -- Al-Qaeda militants have taken control of a police headquarters in southern Yemen, amid the chaos that has gripped the country following the onset of Saudi Arabia's deadly aggression.
- Syria Warns Saudi Arabia, Other States Not to Send Troops VOA 06 Feb 2016 -- Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Muallem warned Saudi Arabia not to send troops to his country, threatening, during a press conference Saturday, that troops would be sent back home in coffins.
- Saudi defeat in Syria definite: Iran's IRGC chief Press TV 06 Feb 2016 -- A top Iranian military commander says a 'definite' defeat awaits Saudi Arabia if it sends troops to Syria.
- Kerry Says Russia Violating UN Cease-Fire But May Soon Comply RFE/RL 06 Feb 2016 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said Russia and Syria have been violating a UN resolution calling for a cease-fire in the civil war, but talks are under way to resolve the problem and revive peace negotiations.
- Syria forces liberate village in Latakia Province Press TV 06 Feb 2016 -- Syrian forces have liberated a key village in the northern province of Latakia, dealing another blow to militants operating along the Turkish border.
- Bahrain Ready to Join US Ground Operations in Syria Sputnik 06 Feb 2016 -- Bahrain has said that is ready to send ground forces against Daesh militants, as part of the US-led coalition.
- Bahrain ready for Syria deployment under Saudi lead: Diplomat Press TV 06 Feb 2016 -- The tiny Persian Gulf state of Bahrain says it is ready to deploy ground forces to Syria under the Saudi leadership as foreign-backed militants are losing ground in the face of the Syrian army advances.
- Up To 35,000 Syrians Massed On Turkish Border RFE/RL 06 Feb 2016 -- The number of Syrian refugees massed on the border with Turkey after fleeing a government offensive near the northern city of Aleppo has nearly doubled in the past 48 hours.
- Damascus: Ground Operation in Syria Without State Approval 'Aggression' Sputnik 06 Feb 2016 -- Syrian Foreign Minister Walid Muallem said Saturday that any ground operation in Syria without Damascus' approval is an 'act of aggression.'
- Militants Ready to 'Switch Sides' as Syrian Army Advances on All Fronts Sputnik 06 Feb 2016 -- Daesh and other terrorist groups have pulled back from their positions as the Syrian army, backed by the country's aviation and popular forces, continues its advance in several key provinces of the county.
- No security wall around Baghdad, Iraqi PM says Press TV 06 Feb 2016 -- The Iraqi prime minister denied Saturday reports of plans to construct a concrete wall around the capital Baghdad to fend off attacks by Daesh Takfiri terrorists.
- Iraqi forces recapture district in troubled Anbar Press TV 06 Feb 2016 -- Iraqi government forces, backed by fighters from allied Popular Mobilization units, have fully liberated a district in the conflict-ridden western province of Anbar from the Takfiri Daesh terrorists.
- No Security Wall to Be Built Around Baghdad - Iraqi PM Sputnik 06 Feb 2016 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi on Saturday denied the military's reports of plans to build a security wall around Baghdad in order to protect the city from attacks by Daesh militants.
- Turkey's Kurdish Fight Complicates IS Battle VOA 06 Feb 2016 -- Turkey's complicated and controversial fight against Kurdish factions at home and in Syria is making its battle against the Islamic State group more difficult. It also leaves Ankara in a weakened stance to combat terror, analysts say.
- Kurdish Militants Use Western-Produced Weapons - Erdogan Sputnik 06 Feb 2016 -- Kurdish militants use weapons manufactured in the western countries, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Saturday.
- Intense Clashes Erupt Between Turkish Army, Kurdish Fighters in Diyarbakir Sputnik 06 Feb 2016 -- Intense clashes involving machine guns and artillery is ongoing in the center of the Turkish city of Diyarbakir, which has witnessed clashes between the army and Kurdish fighters, a RIA Novosti correspondent reported Saturday.
- 9 killed in bombing in southwestern Pakistan Press TV 06 Feb 2016 -- At least nine people were killed and over 40 others injured on Saturday in a bomb explosion targeting a vehicle transporting security forces in southwestern Pakistan.
- Somali, AU forces retake key city from al-Shabab Press TV 06 Feb 2016 -- Somali and African Union (AU) forces have retaken the major Somali port city of Merka a day after the Takfiri al-Shabab militants overran it.
- UN Pilots New Peace Approach in CAR VOA 06 Feb 2016 -- The United Nations is trying a new approach to the disarmament, demobilization and reintegration (or DDR) of armed groups. The new approach, described as pre-DDR, is being launched in the Central African Republic's northern town of Kaga Bandoro, where former combatants of the mainly Muslim Seleka armed group and the Christian and animist anti-Balaka movement are being paid to do community work.
- Japan Deploys Two Missile Destroyers Ahead of N Korea's Satellite Launch Sputnik 06 Feb 2016 -- Japan's Kirishima and Chokai guided missile destroyer ships have been deployed to the East China Sea to shoot down North Korea's alleged missile in case of a threat posed to Japan, local media said Saturday.
- U.S. officials say North Korea may be nearing launch IRNA 06 Feb 2016 -- Satellite images taken this week of North Korea's Sohae rocket launch site show apparent fueling activity seen in the past shortly before a rocket launch, a U.S. think-tank said, as U.S government officials signaled that a launch could occur as early as Monday.
- DPRK advances rocket launch window to Feb. 7-14: Yonhap People's Daily 06 Feb 2016 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) has advanced the window of its planned long-range rocket launch to Feb. 7-14, South Korea's Yonhap news agency reported Saturday.
- KPA, Elite Armed Forces Displaying Tradition of Invincibility KCNA 06 Feb 2016 -- On February 8, Juche 37 (1948) President Kim Il Sung proclaimed the birth of the Korean People's Army, the regular revolutionary armed forces.
- Iran Reverses Ban On 1,500 Election Candidates RFE/RL 06 Feb 2016 -- Iran's constitutional watchdog, the hard-line Guardians Council, has reversed a ban on 1,500 candidates who had registered to run in the February 26 parliamentary elections.
- Iran's policy is based on not sending forces to Resistance Front, says IRGC Cmdr. ISNA 06 Feb 2016 -- A senior Iranian military official said that the country's policy is based on not sending forces to Resistance Front.
- Iran currently exporting 300,000 bpd of oil to Europe: Zangeneh Press TV 06 Feb 2016 -- Iran's Oil Minister Bijan Zangeneh says the country is currently exporting 300,000 barrels per day of crude oil to European countries and the figure will rise when new contracts are signed with European oil majors.
- Iran eyes 1.8-billion-euro oil refinery in Spain: Report Press TV 06 Feb 2016 -- Iran has announced a plan to build a 1.8-billion-euro oil refinery in Spain as recent sanctions relief allows Tehran to resume oil delivery to Europe, Spain's foreign minister has said.
- UN chief says 34 militant groups pledged allegiance to IS People's Daily 06 Feb 2016 -- UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moonon Friday said that 34 militant groups worldwide had reportedly pledged allegiance to the Islamic State (IS) extremist group as of mid-December.
- Somali Officials: Man Killed in Plane Bombing Given Laptop Before Flight VOA 06 Feb 2016 -- Somali security officials say they have identified a person they believe planned the bomb attack that was intended to bring down a Daallo Airlines flight last week.
- Airport Staff, Airline Employees Detained Over Somali Plane Blast VOA 06 Feb 2016 -- Somali authorities have detained at least five people for questioning about a midflight explosion aboard a passenger plane this week that killed one person and wounded two others, Somali intelligence sources said Saturday.
- Russia May Require to Use Reserves If Oil Prices Remain at $30 Per Barrel Sputnik 06 Feb 2016 -- According to Russia's finance minister, Moscow may resort to using reserves should the oil prices remain at the level of $30 per barrel.
- Li stresses currency stability, rules out hard landing of economy People's Daily 06 Feb 2016 -- China will continue its financial reform and will not seek to boost its economy through currency depreciation, Premier Li Keqiang said on Friday.
- China Conducts Final Tests on Most Powerful Homegrown Rocket Sputnik 06 Feb 2016 -- China's largest and most powerful rocket the Long March 5 underwent final tests at the Wen-chang Satellite Launch Center in Hainan province.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|