03 February 2016 Military News
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 03 Feb 2016 [PDF]
- Pentagon Admits to Hundreds More Troops in Iraq VOA 03 Feb 2016 -- Hundreds more American troops are serving in Iraq than previously acknowledged by the Pentagon, U.S. officials said Wednesday.
- US Confirms Involvement in Syria Airfield Expansion VOA 03 Feb 2016 -- At the urging of an American contingent, Syrian Kurds are expanding an airbase on farmland in northeast Syria that could be used for military purposes, according to Kurdish and U.S. officials.
- Department of Defense Press Briefing by Col. Warren via Teleconference in the Pentagon Press Briefing Room DoD 03 Feb 2016 -- Presenter: Colonel Steve Warren, Operation Inherent Resolve Spokesman
- Coalition Decimates ISIL Ranks, Leadership, OIR Spokesman Says AFPS 03 Feb 2016 -- Coalition efforts against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant are making a significant impact against the terrorists, the spokesman for Combined Joint Task Force - Operation Inherent Resolve said today.
- Military Strikes Continue Against ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 03 Feb 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Predator crashes in southern Turkey AFNS 03 Feb 2016 -- An Air Force MQ-1B Predator remotely piloted aircraft crashed in an unpopulated area in southern Turkey at approximately 1:40 a.m. local time, Feb. 3.
- US drone crashes near Turkey's Incirlik air base Press TV 03 Feb 2016 -- A US drone has crashed near Turkey's Incirlik air base with officials blaming a mechanical failure for the rare incident.
- Three people killed in US drone strike in eastern Afghanistan Press TV 03 Feb 2016 -- At least three people have been killed in a US drone attack in Afghanistan's troubled eastern province of Nangarhar.
Defense Policy / Programs
- USNS Choctaw County Enters 5th Fleet NNS 03 Feb 2016 -- Auxiliary, Expeditionary Fast Transport ship USNS Choctaw County (T-EPF 2) arrived in the U.S. 5th Fleet area of operations (AOO) Feb. 3, the first ship of its platform to be forward deployed to the region following a routine transit of the Suez Canal.
- USS Bataan Completes Sea Trials NNS 03 Feb 2016 -- Amphibious assault ship USS Bataan (LHD 5) completed sea trials Feb. 1 after conducting major shipyard maintenance over the past 12 months.
- DoD Chemical-Biological Program has a Global Mission AFPS 03 Feb 2016 -- Keeping warfighters safe from infectious diseases and chemical agents is a Defense Department effort that requires a range of capabilities, from global biosurveillance and quick response to medical countermeasures and interagency and international collaboration.
- Media Availability with Secretary Carter at Naval Air Station, China Lake, California DoD 03 Feb 2016 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter
- Silent and Deadly: High Tech Russian Subs Give NATO Pause For Thought Sputnik 03 Feb 2016 -- Top ranking NATO officials are becoming concerned with technologically advanced Russian submarines operating in the North Atlantic.
- Iraq receives two more F-16 fighter jets from US Press TV 03 Feb 2016 -- The Iraqi air force has taken delivery of two more F-16 fighter jets as part of a deal with the United States to improve the country's military capability in the face of threats from militants.
- Second Batch of F-16 Fighter Jets Arrives in Iraq Sputnik 03 Feb 2016 -- Iraq will get more F-16 fighter jets from the US, according to the US Operation Inherent Resolve spokesman.
- DPR Korea's intention to launch a satellite 'deeply troubling' - UN chief UN News 03 Feb 2016 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today said the intention of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) to launch a satellite in the coming weeks is a "deeply worrying development."
- US Struggles With North Korea Response VOA 03 Feb 2016 -- Although the U.S. and other world powers have sharply criticized North Korea for conducting a fourth nuclear test and announcing plans to launch an "observation satellite," there is wide disagreement over what steps should be taken to curb Pyongyang's nuclear and ballistic missile ambitions.
- S. Korean politicians urge DPRK to drop rocket launch plan People's Daily 03 Feb 2016 -- South Korean politicians on Wednesday called for the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) to drop its rocket launch plan.
- Japan urges DPRK to refrain from satellite launch, calls plans threat to national security People's Daily 03 Feb 2016 -- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on Wednesday strongly urged the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) to refrain from its planned satellite launch, stating that Japan believes the DPRK is planning to test a long-range ballistic missile.
- S. Korea warns harsh price against DPRK's satellite launch People's Daily 03 Feb 2016 -- South Korea on Wednesday warned a harsh price against possible launch of long-range ballistic missile by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) following Pyongyang's notification of its plan to launch a satellite into orbit.
- White House condemns DPRK's satellite launch plan, urging swift int'l response People's Daily 03 Feb 2016 -- The White House on Tuesday condemned the new satellite launch plan of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), urging a swift response of the international community to what it called 'another irresponsible provocation.'
- Japan will destroy North Korea missile in case of threat: Tokyo Press TV 03 Feb 2016 -- Tokyo has ordered ballistic missile defense units in the Sea of Japan and onshore to shoot down any North Korean missile that would threaten its territory.
- North Korea to pay severe price for missile launch: South Press TV 03 Feb 2016 -- South Korea has warned the neighboring North of a "severe price" if it proceeds with a plan to launch a long-range missile later this month.
- US warns of 'tough' UN sanctions over N Korea satellite launch Press TV 03 Feb 2016 -- The US State Department has harshly slammed North Korea's plans for satellite launch as an "egregious violation" of international obligations, warning of "tough" UN sanctions against the country.
- China Seriously Concerned Over N Korea's Upcoming Satellite Rocket Launch Sputnik 03 Feb 2016 -- Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman said that China is seriously concerned over North Korea's plans to launch a satellite using a ballistic missile.
- South Korea, Japan Warn Against North Korea Missile Launch VOA 03 Feb 2016 -- Japan and South Korea joined the United States Wednesday in demanding that North Korea cancel plans to send a long-range rocket into space, saying the launch would violate United Nations resolutions banning ballistic-missile and nuclear weapon development in the country.
- Moscow Considers Delivery of Russian MiG-29s to Serbia Sputnik 03 Feb 2016 -- Russia may be planning to deliver MiG-29 fighter jets to Serbia, according to a source in the Russian Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation.
- Russia Promises Tajikistan Maximum Support in Light of Afghan Threats Sputnik 03 Feb 2016 -- Deputy Defense Minister Anatoly Antonov said that Russia will help Tajikistan's military to the fullest by delivering weapons and equipment due to threats stemming from Afghanistan.
- Turkey Blocks Russian Flight Under Open Skies Treaty, Moscow Vows Response Sputnik 03 Feb 2016 -- Ankara has violated the Open Skies Treaty by not allowing Russian inspectors to conduct a scheduled inspection flight over the Turkish territory, a move that Moscow will not leave without proper response, the Russian Defense Ministry said Wednesday.
- Slovenia Most Likely to Offer Weapons to US-Led Coalition Against Daesh Sputnik 03 Feb 2016 -- According to unofficial sources, Slovenia will most likely offer weapons and military instructors to the US-led coalition in the fight against the Daesh.
- February 3, 2016 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 03 Feb 2016
- Press Gaggle by Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 2/3/2016 - Baltimore, MD The White House 03 Feb 2016
- DoD News: Contracts for February 03, 2016
- Russia to Oust 'Shady' Soviet Military Equipment Repair Plans in Africa Sputnik 03 Feb 2016 -- Russia plans to stamp out 'shady' repair and upgrade plans for Soviet-era military equipment offered to African nations, a high-ranking official in the Russian Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation (FSMTC) told RIA Novosti on Wednesday.
- 3 February 2016 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 03 Feb 2016
- Yemeni forces shoot down Saudi spy aircraft in Hajjah Press TV 03 Feb 2016 -- Yemeni forces shot down a Saudi spy aircraft on Wednesday in the northwestern province of Hajjah.
- Supporting a Peaceful Resolution to the Syrian Crisis US Dept. of State 03 Feb 2016 -- Press Statement by John Kerry, US Secretary of State
- UN mediator suspends intra-Syrian talks for three weeks UN News 03 Feb 2016 -- Just two days after declaring the official start of delayed intra-Syrian talks in Geneva to end five years of bloody warfare, the United Nations mediator suspended them for three weeks today following differences between Government and opposition delegations on the priority of humanitarian issues.
- UN Puts Syria Peace Talks On Hold Until End of February VOA 03 Feb 2016 -- The United Nations on Wednesday called off the fractious Syrian peace talks in Geneva until the end of February.
- Lavrov: Russian Airstrikes in Syria Will Continue Until Terrorists Defeated VOA 03 Feb 2016 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Wednesday his country's military will not stop its airstrikes in Syria until 'terrorist organizations' there are defeated.
- Russia to continue Syria airstrikes until terrorists defeated: Lavrov Press TV 03 Feb 2016 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has reiterated that Moscow will continue its airstrikes against terrorists in Syria until they are defeated.
- Russia to Operate in Syria Until Local Terrorist Groups Defeated - Lavrov Sputnik 03 Feb 2016 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said that Russia will continue its operation in Syria until terrorism groups in the Arab Republic are defeated.
- Head of Syrian opposition in Geneva to join peace talks Press TV 03 Feb 2016 -- The head of a Saudi-backed Syrian opposition group has joined ongoing UN-brokered peace talks in Switzerland.
- Syrian Army Breaks Siege of Two Towns in Northern Aleppo Sputnik 03 Feb 2016 -- The Syrian army with support of armed militia have broken a four-year siege of two towns in the north of the Aleppo province, a militia source said Wednesday.
- One of Al-Nusra Front's Leaders Killed in Syrian Government Airstrike Sputnik 03 Feb 2016 -- One of the leaders of the al-Nusra Front militant group has been killed in an airstrike carried out by Syrian government forces, Syria Now reported Wednesday.
- Fighting the Evil: Syrian Army Liberates Villages in Aleppo Suburbs Sputnik 03 Feb 2016 -- The Syrian Army and the country's National Defense Forces have reportedly won new victories over militant groups in several key provinces, including Latakia and Aleppo, in the last 24 hours.
- Syrian Army Cuts Militants' Supply Routes in Aleppo – Source Sputnik 03 Feb 2016 -- Syrian army in cooperation with local militia has cut off main supply routes of terrorists in the northern Aleppo province, a source in militia said Wednesday.
- Syrian forces break siege of two towns in Aleppo Province Press TV 03 Feb 2016 -- Syrian forces broke the siege of two major towns in the northern province of Aleppo on Wednesday after pushing back foreign-backed militants in a successful military operation.
- Iraqi army forces inflict heavy losses on Daesh terrorists Press TV 03 Feb 2016 -- More than a hundred members of Daesh Takfiri militant group have been killed when Iraqi government forces carried out a number of clean-up operations against the terrorists across the crisis-stricken Arab country.
- Ukraine: UN official urges Government to keep checkpoints open for access to medicines, food UN News 03 Feb 2016 -- The senior United Nations humanitarian official in Ukraine today called on the Government to keep checkpoints open in conflict-affected areas in the country's east to prevent hardship for thousands of mostly elderly people seeking access to medicines, and food and other items.
- Hundreds of people leave conflict-ridden area in southeast Turkey Press TV 03 Feb 2016 -- Hundreds of people have escaped their homes in the southeastern Turkish city of Diyarbakir, which has been the scene of deadly clashes between the army and militants of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK).
- Lebanon kills senior Daesh figure: Report Press TV 03 Feb 2016 -- The Lebanese army has reportedly killed a senior member of the Takfiri Daesh terrorist group during a large-scale operation in the east of the country.
- US House passes bill restricting removal of Iran sanctions Press TV 03 Feb 2016 -- The US House of Representatives has approved a bill aimed at hindering the implementation of Iran's historical nuclear agreement with the P5+1 group of countries.
- Iraqi Kurdish Leader: Time 'Ripe' for Independence Referendum VOA 03 Feb 2016 -- Iraqi Kurdistan's regional President Masoud Barzani has announced that the time has come for Kurdistan to hold a referendum to decide on declaring unilateral independence from Baghdad.
- Iraqi Kurdish Leader Calls For Nonbinding Vote On Independence RFE/RL 03 Feb 2016 -- The president of Iraq's autonomous Kurdistan region called for a nonbinding referendum on independence on February 2, saying national borders that have separated the region's Kurds for a century were 'a big mistake.'
- UN emergency fund allocates $8 million to assist vulnerable women and children in DPR Korea UN News 03 Feb 2016 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has released eight million dollars from the UN Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF) for severely underfunded aid operations in the People's Democratic Republic of Korea (DPRK), to enable life-saving assistance for more than 2.2 million people most vulnerable and at risk of malnutrition.
- Turkey's Intelligence Overhaul Replaces Diplomats With Spies Sputnik 03 Feb 2016 -- Turkey's National Intelligence Agency is expanding at the same time as its Foreign Ministry is closing down certain embassies and recalling diplomats, Al-Monitor reported.
- Pakistan Arrests Suspect in Deadly University Raid VOA 03 Feb 2016 -- Authorities in Pakistan have arrested the suspected main facilitator of last month's attack on a university that killed at least 21 people, mostly students.
- Russian Oil Production Hits New Record Despite Talk Of Cuts RFE/RL 03 Feb 2016 -- Russian oil production hit a post-Soviet high last month even as top Russian officials on February 2 continued to push for a deal with the OPEC oil cartel to curb booming global production.
- Micromanaged Democracy: Russia's Ruling Party Schools Candidates On Campaigning RFE/RL 03 Feb 2016 -- Elections for Russia's State Duma, as well as a large number of local contests, are scheduled for September. And the ruling United Russia party wants to make sure its candidates are prepared for any awkward encounters with voters or journalists.
- French Cabinet Proposes Draft Law to Extend State of Emergency Sputnik 03 Feb 2016 -- The state of emergency in France will be prolonged until the law on new judicial procedures against terror suspects is implemented, according to the French government's spokesman Stephane Le Foll.
- Somali Authorities Believe Body Fell From Plane After Explosion VOA 03 Feb 2016 -- Somali authorities have found the body of a missing passenger from a plane that made an emergency landing at Mogadishu airport after a blast ripped a hole through it Tuesday.
- Islamic State Widow Shames IS Leaders VOA 03 Feb 2016 -- The widow of an Islamic State fighter has voiced rare open criticism of the terror group's leaders, complaining about the treatment of the widows and families of dead fighters. Her protest letter, posted online, has been circulated widely on pro-IS social media sites.
- Ukrainian Economy Minister Resigns; West Deeply Disappointed VOA 03 Feb 2016 -- Ukraine's economy minister tendered his resignation Wednesday, citing political pressure and corruption.
- Poroshenko: Economy Minister Should Stay At Post RFE/RL 03 Feb 2016 -- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko has said that the economy minister, who earlier resigned citing political pressure and corruption, should stay at his post and push ahead with reforms.
- Egypt court annuls death sentences against 149 people Press TV 03 Feb 2016 -- An Egyptian appeals court overturned on Wednesday death sentences issued against 149 people in connection with a deadly attack on a police station in 2013.
- Nigeria under fire for Zaria massacre Press TV 03 Feb 2016 -- Authorities in Nigeria have come under fire for not providing the results of an inquiry that was supposed to be conducted into a military massacre of hundreds of Muslims in the northern city of Zaria in December last year.
- Venezuela party proposes reform to oust Maduro Press TV 03 Feb 2016 -- An opposition party in Venezuela has proposed a constitutional amendment to oust the country's President Nicolas Maduro.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|