More than 30 killed in Saudi air raids on Yemeni capital
Iran Press TV
Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:16PM
The latest airstrikes carried out by Saudi warplanes killed more than 30 people in the Yemeni capital of Sana'a, officials said on Saturday.
According to the security and medical authorities, the air raids targeted a camp belonging to fighters from Houthi Ansarullah movement as well as factories producing food and plastic in northern and western parts of the city.
Yemen has been under airstrikes by Saudi Arabia since late March last year. The Saudi military strikes were launched to supposedly undermine the Ansarullah movement and bring fugitive former Yemeni President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi back to power.
Over 8,270 people, among them 2,236 children, have been killed and more than 16,000 others injured since March 2015. The strikes have also taken a heavy toll on the impoverished country's facilities and infrastructure, destroying many hospitals, schools, and factories.
The airstrikes come as Yemen's al-Masirah TV said on its Twitter account on Saturday that more than two dozen mercenaries fighting for the Saudi regime were killed after the allied Yemeni forces launched an offensive on their positions in Jad'an region of the northern province of Ma'rib.
The report did not elaborate on the nationality of those killed. Saudi Arabia and some Arab governments in the Persian Gulf region, which have been contributing to Riyadh's more than 300 days of airstrikes and ground operations against Yemen, have recruited troops from various nationalities for the war on Yemen.
Previous reports had suggested that thousands of troops and security forces, from Latin American and Asian countries, have been fighting in Yemen.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|