13 killed, 30 hurt as three bomb blasts hit northeast Nigeria
Iran Press TV
Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:7PM
Triple bomb explosions have rocked Nigeria's northeastern town of Chibok, leaving at least 13people dead and more than 30 others wounded.
"Ten died on the spot and another one died on the way to hospital," said health worker, Dazzban Buba, who volunteered to treat the injured at hospital.
He added, "A woman and a child died as they were being admitted (to hospital), so now the death toll stands at 13. Thirty others were injured, 21 critically."
The first bomber detonated his explosives at the checkpoint where people entering the town were being searched, he said, adding, the second bomber blew himself up in Chibok's weekly market.
The third bomber, who was about to be apprehended, set off his explosives near the market, the local added.
No group or individual has so far claimed responsibility for the deadly blasts, but Nigerian officials often blame such acts of violence on Boko Haram Takfiri terrorist group, which has been carrying out deadly attacks in Nigeria since 2009.
The group has expanded its attacks to neighboring African countries including Chad, Niger and Cameroon.
In April 2014, Boko Haram militants kidnapped a total of 276 girls from their school in Chibok. Several dozen girls escaped afterwards, but the fate of around 200 others is still unknown.
Boko Haram's bloody militancy has reportedly claimed at least 20,000 lives and displaced over 2.5 million people since 2009.
The terrorists have pledged allegiance to the Takfiri Daesh terrorists group, which is primarily operating inside Syria and Iraq.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|