20 January 2016 Military News
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 20 Jan 2016 [PDF]
- Department of Defense Press Briefing by Col. Warren via teleconference from Baghdad, Iraq DoD 20 Jan 2016 -- Presenter: Colonel Steve Warren, Operation Inherent Resolve spokesman
- US: Airstrike Destroys Islamic State Cash Supply VOA 20 Jan 2016 -- The U.S.-led coalition says its airstrikes hit an Islamic State 'cash collection point' this week near IS's northern Iraqi stronghold of Mosul, destroying 'tens of millions of dollars' the jihadists were using to pay their fighters.
- Joint Statement on Counter-ISIL Cooperation by the Defense Ministers of Australia, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom and the United States DoD 20 Jan 2016 -- The text of the following statement was released by the defense ministers of Australia, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom and the United States following a meeting co-hosted by France and the United States in Paris on counter-ISIL cooperation.
- Carter Meets With Le Drian, Other Anti-ISIL Partners in Paris AFPS 20 Jan 2016 -- Defense Secretary Ash Carter is in Paris to meet with his French counterpart and to attend a defense ministerial, which will be the first face-to-face meeting of representatives from all seven countries providing major contributions to the fight against the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant.
- Joint Press Conference by Secretary Carter and French Minister of Defense Le Drian in Paris, France DoD 20 Jan 2016 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter; French Minister of Defense Jean-Yves Le Drian
- Defence Secretary meets counterparts to discuss defeating Daesh UK MOD 20 Jan 2016 -- The Defence Secretary Michael Fallon has met with his counterparts in Paris today to discuss the counter-Daesh campaign.
- Military Strikes Continue Against ISIL in Iraq AFPS 20 Jan 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Update: air strikes in Iraq and Syria UK MOD 20 Jan 2016 -- As part of the international coalition, RAF Tornado GR4, Typhoon FGR4 and Reaper aircraft have flown daily armed reconnaissance missions to seek out terrorist activity and to provide air support to the Iraqi and Kurdish security forces who are battling Daesh on the ground.
- US drone strike leaves three dead in eastern Afghanistan Press TV 20 Jan 2016 -- At least three people have lost their lives in a US assassination drone strike in Afghanistan's eastern province of Nangarhar.
- Suicide Blast Near Russian Embassy in Kabul VOA 20 Jan 2016 -- Afghan officials say a suicide car bomb blast near the Russian Embassy in the capital Kabul has killed at least seven people.
- US drone strike kills two in Yemen's southeast Press TV 20 Jan 2016 -- The United States has carried out a drone strike in southeast Yemen, killing at least two people, military sources say.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Secretary of the Navy, Secretary of Agriculture Launch Great Green Fleet NNS 20 Jan 2016 -- Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus and Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack kicked off the Great Green Fleet Jan. 20, with the deployment of the USS John C. Stennis Carrier Strike Group (JCS CSG) during a ceremony at Naval Air Station North Island.
- Air Force implements additional security measures AFNS 20 Jan 2016 -- In response to tragic events that have taken place on and off installations over the past few years, Air Force commanders can take additional measures to secure personnel and property on their installations through three programs that allow service members to carry weapons.
- Licenses From 5 States Banned at DoD Bases AFPS 20 Jan 2016 -- Defense Department installations will no longer accept driver's licenses from Minnesota, Illinois, Missouri, New Mexico and Washington as proof of identity, DoD officials said.
- Texas Visits Sasebo During Indo-Asia-Pacific Deployment NNS 20 Jan 2016 -- Virginia-class attack submarine USS Texas (SSN 773) arrived at Fleet Activities Sasebo Jan. 20 for a visit as part of its Indo-Asia-Pacific deployment.
- US, Japanese Ships Start Tactical Exercise Near Guam NNS 20 Jan 2016 -- Guam Exercise (GUAMEX), an annual bilateral training exercise between the U.S. Navy and Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF), began Jan. 20 off the coast of Guam.
- US Military Wants New Billion-Dollar Icebreaker Against Russia in Arctic Sputnik 20 Jan 2016 -- US officials and commanders in the Coast Guard and Naval forces have pushed for an expansion of the US military presence in the Arctic.
- Dunford to Emphasize Enduring Afghanistan Effort in NATO Meeting AFPS 20 Jan 2016 -- The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said today that he will tell his NATO counterparts there is opportunity in Afghanistan, but it will take time and continued focus.
- Russia's Only Aircraft Carrier Not to Be Used in East Mediterranean Sputnik 20 Jan 2016 -- Highly-ranked official in the Russian military industrial complex said that Russia's only aircraft carrier, the Admiral Kuznetsov, will not be used in operations in the Eastern Mediterranean against Daesh terrorists.
- Iraq - F-16 Weapons, Munitions, Equipment, and Logistics Support DSCA 20 Jan 2016 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to Iraq for F-16 weapons, munitions, equipment, and logistics support. The estimated cost is $1.950 billion. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale on January 15, 2016.
- 'Low Confidence': The Truth Behind South Korea's Troubled K2 Tank Sputnik 20 Jan 2016 -- South Korea's hugely expensive K2 tank is being developed because of concerns over future weapon supplies to the US-allied country, which have forced it to make a long-term investment in its own security and independence.
- Senior State Department Officials Previewing Secretary Kerry's Trip to Davos US Dept. of State 20 Jan 2016
- January 20, 2016 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 20 Jan 2016
- Press Gaggle by Principal Deputy Press Secretary Eric Schultz en route Detroit, MI, 1/20/2016 The White House 20 Jan 2016
- 20 January 2016 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 20 Jan 2016
- China on high alert against Japan's attempt to poke its nose in South China Sea issue People's Daily 20 Jan 2016 -- China is on high alert against Japan's attempt to poke its nose in the issue of the South China Sea, a Foreign Ministry spokesperson said in response to Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's latest interview with Financial Times on Jan.19.
- Vietnam says China moves oil rig into disputed waters Press TV 20 Jan 2016 -- Vietnam says China has moved an oil rig into disputed waters in the South China Sea, calling on Beijing to stop drilling and remove the rig from the area.
- Syrian Air Force destroys 1,662 Takfiri targets in less than a month Press TV 20 Jan 2016 -- The Syrian Air Force has destroyed at least 1,662 Takfiri targets, including terrorist headquarters and munitions factories, since late December.
- Syrian Planes Hit 1,662 Terrorist Targets in 481 Airstrikes Sputnik 20 Jan 2016 -- Since the end of December, the Syrian Air Force has destroyed 1,662 terrorist targets, including command centers and factories used to produce ammunition.
- Russian Jets Conduct 16 Sorties in Syria Over Past 24 Hours Sputnik 20 Jan 2016 -- Russian aviation has conducted 16 sorties in Syria over past 24 hours hitting 57 terrorist targets in two provinces, the Russian Defense Ministry said Wednesday.
- Russian Air Force Leads Aerial Bombardment of Terrorists in Eastern Syria Sputnik 20 Jan 2016 -- Expectations were that the US-led coalition would make significant gains against terrorists in eastern Syria, but it has transpired that the Russian Air Force is up to the task of supporting Syrian troops battling Daesh there, German Economic News (DWN) reported.
- Street Warfare: Syrian Army Obliterates Jihadists in City of Aleppo Sputnik 20 Jan 2016 -- The Syrian army has reportedly launched a fresh assault on militant groups in a spate of neighborhoods of the northern city of Aleppo, killing scores of terrorists.
- Syria opposition names Saudi-backed militant top negotiator Press TV 20 Jan 2016 -- Syria's so-called largest opposition coalition has appointed a Saudi-backed militant chief as its main negotiator for upcoming peace talks that are hoped to bring an end to the deadly conflict in Syria.
- Russia, US seek no delay in Syria peace talks Press TV 20 Jan 2016 -- Russia's foreign minister says he and his US counterpart have not sought a postponement of UN-led Syrian peace talks planned for January 25 between Syria's government and opposition groups.
- Syrian forces capture strategic heights in Homs Press TV 20 Jan 2016 -- Syrian army troops have retaken strategic hills and heights in the central province of Homs as government forces continue their mop-up operations in many parts of the Arab country.
- UN agency calls on donors to support Syrian farmers in their hour of need UN News 20 Jan 2016 -- With the war in Syria now approaching its sixth year, agricultural production has plummeted and food supplies are at an all-time low, pushing millions of people into hunger, the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization stressed today, calling on governments to boost funding to help farmers keep their lands in production and prevent the situation from deteriorating even further.
- Iraq's Kurdistan rejects Amnesty report on mass destruction of villages Press TV 20 Jan 2016 -- The Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) has strongly rejected a new report by the Amnesty International that Iraq's Kurdish Peshmerga forces have intentionally razed thousands of Arab houses in areas under their control in the country's north.
- Clearing Ramadi Progresses Despite Obstacles, Inherent Resolve Official Says AFPS 20 Jan 2016 -- As Iraqi military forces clear the key city of Ramadi after retaking it from Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant control, thousands of terrorist explosives left behind have complicated the process, a spokesman for Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve told Pentagon reporters today.
- Peshmerga Refutes Reports on Alleged Destruction of Arab Homes in Iraq Sputnik 20 Jan 2016 -- The Iraqi Kurdistan region's Ministry of Peshmerga Affairs refuted on Wednesday a recent report by a prominent rights watchdog that blamed Kurdish forces for the alleged destruction of and arson attacks on thousands of homes belonging to the Arab population in northern Iraq.
- Kurdish Forces Bulldoze Thousands of Arab Homes in Northern Iraq Sputnik 20 Jan 2016 -- According to a report by a prominent rights watchdog, Kurdish militias have destroyed thousands of homes belonging to Arabs in northern Iraq for their alleged support of the Daesh militant group.
- Daesh razes to ground Iraq's oldest Christian monastery Press TV 20 Jan 2016 -- The Takfiri Daesh terrorists have destroyed the oldest Christian monastery in Iraq as they continue with their demolition campaign against historical and religious sites in the areas under their control.
- Iraqi forces inflict more losses on Daesh Takfiri militants Press TV 20 Jan 2016 -- Iraqi government forces, backed by military aircraft, have launched successful clean-up operations against Daesh terrorist group, dealing heavy blows to the Takfiri militants.
- Peshmerga forces demolish Arab villages in northern Iraq: Amnesty Press TV 20 Jan 2016 -- Amnesty International says Iraqi Kurdish Peshmerga fighters have intentionally "bulldozed, blown up and burned down" thousands of houses belonging to Arab communities in northern Iraq in an attempt to "uproot" their existence in Kurdish-held territories.
- Amnesty: Iraqi Kurds Deliberately Destroying Arab Villages VOA 20 Jan 2016 -- The human rights group Amnesty International accused Iraqi Kurds Wednesday of deliberately destroying thousands of homes of Arabs in northern Iraq in apparent revenge for their perceived support for Islamic State militants.
- UN Urges Libyan Support for Unity Government VOA 20 Jan 2016 -- United Nations officials are urging Libyans to support an agreement among the country's warring factions to create a unity government.
- Turkish President Rules Out Return to Peace Process With Kurds VOA 20 Jan 2016 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan ruled out any return to peace efforts with the PKK Kurdish rebel group, telling village representatives that the organization will be liquidated.
- Taliban Claims Responsibility for Attack on Pakistan's University Sputnik 20 Jan 2016 -- The Pakistani wing of the Taliban Islamic movement, Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan, claimed responsibility for Wednesday attack on the country's Bacha Khan University in the northern town of Charsadda, local media reported.
- Pakistani Taliban group claims university attack in NW Pakistan People's Daily 20 Jan 2016 -- A splinter group of Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan(TTP) on Wednesday claimed responsibility for the attack on a university in the country's northwest district of Charsadda, which has reportedly killed 19 people and wounded over 50 others.
- At Least 20 Killed In Attack On Pakistani University RFE/RL 20 Jan 2016 -- Militants have stormed a university in northwestern Pakistan, shooting students in their sleep during an assault that left at least 20 people dead and more than 50 others wounded.
- Gunmen Kill at Least 20 at University in NW Pakistan VOA 20 Jan 2016 -- A gun and bomb attack on a university in northwestern Pakistan Wednesday killed at least 20 people and wounded dozens more.
- Official: Liberia Military Ready to Handle Security After UN Mandate Ends VOA 20 Jan 2016 -- Liberia's defense minister said the military is ready to take over responsibility for the nation's security after the United Nations Mission in Liberia's (UNMIL) mandate ends this June.
- Former Commander Of Pro-Russian Separatists Says He Executed People Based On Stalin-Era Laws RFE/RL 19 Jan 2016 -- For most of his 42-minute appearance on a radio talk show, former Russia-backed separatist commander Igor Girkin sounded like nothing more than a fanatic discussing a dream now widely dismissed as fantasy.
- Ban welcomes joint request by Colombian Government and FARC to set up UN political office UN News 20 Jan 2016 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has welcomed the joint request from the Colombian Government and the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia-People's Army (FARC-EP) yesterday announcing their decision to request the UN Security Council to establish a political mission in the country to monitor any future ceasefire agreement.
- Côte d'Ivoire: UN peacekeeping force reduced in light of country's progress towards stability UN News 20 Jan 2016 -- Reflecting the "considerable and continued progress" in consolidating peace and stability in Côte d'Ivoire, the Security Council today cut a further 1,500 troops from the United Nations peacekeeping Mission, which played a major role in halting violence in the country after disputed elections in 2010.
- Half the population of Central African Republic faces hunger, UN warns UN News 20 Jan 2016 -- An emergency food security assessment by the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) and its partners has revealed that half the population of the Central African Republic (CAR) – nearly 2.5 million people – faces hunger.
- Israel must immediately halt planned relocation of Palestinian Bedouin, say UN officials UN News 20 Jan 2016 -- Senior United Nations officials for the occupied Palestinian territory have called for an immediate end to Israeli plans to transfer Bedouin living in the Jerusalem area for a settlement expansion, long recognized as a violation of international law and an obstacle to realizing a two-state solution to the Middle East crisis.
- The refugee camp that became a city IRIN 20 Jan 2016
- Iran nuclear deal proves power of diplomacy: Zarif Press TV 20 Jan 2016 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says the landmark nuclear deal between Tehran and the P5+1 proved that regional disputes can be resolved through diplomacy.
- Nuclear agreement result of Iranian nation's endeavors: Leader Press TV 20 Jan 2016 -- The Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei says the nuclear deal reached between Iran and world powers was result of endeavors of Iranian nation and scientists, not a US favor.
- Nuclear Deal Helped Release Americans, White House Argues VOA 20 Jan 2016 -- A top White House official said the nuclear deal the U.S. reached with Iran has created a new diplomatic tone between both nations that helped in the release last week of 10 American sailors who were detained briefly in Iran as well as five other American citizens who had been held for years.
- US Moves on Sanctions Against N. Korea Amid Skepticism VOA 20 Jan 2016 -- When North Korea conducted its fourth nuclear test, the communist country made clear that it wants Washington to change course on Pyongyang.
- Tsai's Facebook page flooded with messages from China, again CNA 20 Jan 2016 -- The Facebook page of President-elect Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) was flooded with over 20,000 messages likely from Chinese Internet users, who voiced their opposition against Taiwan's independence, in three hours Wednesday.
- ROC flag a consensus among Taiwanese: DPP official CNA 20 Jan 2016 -- The official designation of Taiwan, the Republic of China (ROC), and the ROC flag are highly symbolic for people in Taiwan, and there is a broad consensus on the national flag, a Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) official said here on Tuesday.
- Cross-strait policy not salient issue in elections: DPP official CNA 20 Jan 2016 -- Joseph Wu (吳釗燮), secretary-general of the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP), said Tuesday in Washington that viewing Taiwan's Jan. 16 general elections from the perspective of independence versus unification might be outdated.
- Erdogan lashes out at academics critical of anti-PKK campaign Press TV 20 Jan 2016 -- Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan lashed out Wednesday at a large group of academics who have criticized Ankara's campaign against the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militants.
- Crafty al-Qaida Affiliate Looking to Win US War on IS VOA 20 Jan 2016 -- Slowly but surely al-Qaida's Syria affiliate - Jabhat al Nusra - appears to be positioning itself to emerge as the victor in the U.S.-led war against the Islamic State terror group.
- Singapore nabs 27 Bangladeshis on terror charges, deports 26 Press TV 20 Jan 2016 -- Authorities in Singapore have arrested 27 Bangladeshi workers and deported 26 of them on charges of supporting Takfiri terror groups, including Daesh and al-Qaeda.
- UN Security Council on Peace Mission to Burundi VOA 20 Jan 2016 -- A United Nations Security Council delegation headed to Burundi Wednesday with a message for the government and opposition to start substantive dialogue and avert catastrophe before it is too late.
- US Raises Alarm of Possible Human Rights Violations in Burundi VOA 20 Jan 2016 -- The U.S. State Department says it is 'deeply alarmed' by reports out of Burundi of serious human rights violations stemming from a nine-month political crisis.
- India launches fifth navigation satellite People's Daily 20 Jan 2016 -- India Wednesday successfully launched its fifth navigation satellite from the spaceport of Sriharikota in the southern state of Andhra Pradesh.
- 6.9% GDP growth statistic reliable: Director of NBS People's Daily 20 Jan 2016 -- Chinese economic growth decelerated to a 25-year low of 6.9 percent in 2015, down from 7.3 percent in 2014, according to data released on Tuesday by the National Bureau of Statistics.
- China jails former party chief of Urumqi for corruption Press TV 20 Jan 2016 -- A court has sentenced a former chief of China's Communist Party from the northwestern city of Urumqi to 12 years in prison over corruption.
- Boomtime for fuel smugglers in Nepal IRIN 20 Jan 2016 -- A severe fuel shortage has crippled Nepal, causing added hardship for millions of people already trying to recover from a devastating earthquake. But not everybody is suffering – a flourishing black market is enriching both smugglers and police.
- UK Judge to Release Findings on Death of Ex-KGB Agent VOA 20 Jan 2016 -- The mystery of the poisoning death of ex-KGB agent Alexander Litvinenko may be solved Thursday, when a British judge releases the findings of his inquiry.
- Protesters Enter Moldovan Parliament Building After Pro-EU Government Approved RFE/RL 20 Jan 2016 -- six more than needed -- Protesters have entered Moldova's parliament building, shortly after lawmakers voted in a new pro-EU government.
- Russia Postpones Manned Moon Mission for 5 Years – Space Agency Sputnik 20 Jan 2016 -- Russian space agency Roscosmos has postponed the first manned lunar mission from 2030 to 2035, according to the 2016-2025 space program unveiled Wednesday.
- US Senate Blocks Bill Restricting Syrian, Iraqi Refugees VOA 20 Jan 2016 -- Legislation restricting America's acceptance of refugees from Syria and Iraq failed in the Senate Wednesday after passionate debate about U.S. security needs and the nation's long history as a destination for the oppressed.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|