09 January 2016 Military News
- Strikes Hit ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 09 Jan 2016 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Four-party Talks on Afghan Peace Process Set for Monday VOA 09 Jan 2016 -- Pakistan is set to host four-way talks Monday on reviving the Afghan peace process. The talks will include Afghanistan, China and the United States.
Defense Policy / Programs
- New US Navy Document Shows Fear of Russia and China Rising Sputnik 09 Jan 2016 -- A new US Navy document shows a fear of Russia and China's new naval strengths, which challenge its supremacy amid shrinking procurement budgets.
- Aircraft Killer: New Russian Buk-M3 SAM System to Enter Service Soon Sputnik 09 Jan 2016 -- In 2016 the Russian Armed Forces are about to receive a new and deadly addition to their arsenal – Buk-M3 surface-to-air missile system (NATO reporting name: SA-17 Grizzly).
- Russian Army Gains Over 1,500 Modern Drones in 4 Years - Defense Ministry Sputnik 09 Jan 2016 -- According to Defense Ministry, Russia's armed forces received over 1,500 unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) over the last four years.
- Germany may dispatch troops near Libya, report says Press TV 09 Jan 2016 -- Germany plans to dispatch a military contingent to a location near Libya with the alleged mission of training the African country's army, a report says.
- Germany Considers Deploying Troops Near Libya to Train Government Forces Sputnik 09 Jan 2016 -- Berlin is considering the deployment of between 150-200 troops near Libya to assist with the training of the Libyan armed forces, Der Spiegel reports, citing internal German army plans.
- Iran Navy, among the world top IRNA 09 Jan 2016 -- Iran's Navy is among the world top undertaking expeditions to ensure safety of life at high seas, Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari said on Saturday.
- Turkey Building Huge New Multipurpose Amphibious Assault Ship Sputnik 09 Jan 2016 -- The multipurpose amphibious assault ship will be the country's best and biggest when construction work is finished in 2021, the Turkish press reported last week.
- Observers See Several Motives for Eritrean Involvement in Yemen VOA 09 Jan 2016 -- The conflict between Saudi Arabia and Houthi rebels in Yemen is drawing in participants from across the Red Sea.
- UAE cmdr., Blackwater mercenary hit in Yemen: Report Press TV 09 Jan 2016 -- A Blackwater mercenary of French nationality has been killed and a senior UAE military commander injured in an attack by Yemeni forces in Ta'izz Province, the al-Masira television says.
- Syrian forces cut off major militant supply lines on Turkish border region Press TV 09 Jan 2016 -- Syrian forces have managed to cut off major supply lines of foreign-backed militants in areas on the Turkish border region.
- Syrian army seizes back more areas in Latakia Press TV 09 Jan 2016 -- The Syrian army has managed to win back control of several areas in the coastal province of Latakia, as government forces continue their operations against the Takfiri militants operating in Syria.
- Russia Delivers Nearly 14,000 Tons of Cargo to Syria's Hmeimim Airbase Sputnik 09 Jan 2016 -- According to Russian Aerospace Forces spokesman, Russia's military transport aviation has carried out over 280 sorties to deliver infrastructure for Syria's Hmeimim airbase and has transferred almost 14,000 metric tons of cargo there.
- Turkey Says Needs Troops In Iraq To Defend Against Islamic State RFE/RL 09 Jan 2016 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Turkey needs to keep troops in northern Iraq after they thwarted a planned attack on its military training camp there this week by Islamic State militants.
- Iraqi Forces Building Momentum Against ISIL, Dunford Says AFPS 09 Jan 2016 -- Iraqi forces have momentum against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said today.
- Iraq's military: Senior Daesh commander killed in Anbar Press TV 09 Jan 2016 -- Iraq's military says a major commander of the Daesh Takfiri terrorists has been killed during an operation by the country's Air Force against the militant group west of the country.
- Iraqi PM renews call for Turkey pullout Press TV 09 Jan 2016 -- Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi renews call on Turkey to withdraw troops from northern Iraq.
- Iraq denies Turkey's claims of Daesh raid Press TV 09 Jan 2016 -- Iraq has rejected Turkey's claims that its forces 'illegally' deployed to the Arab country had come under attack by Takfiri Daesh terrorists.
- Baghdad Denies Daesh Attack on Turkish Forces in Iraq Sputnik 09 Jan 2016 -- Iraq's joint operations command refuted Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's statement that Daesh militants had attacked Turkish forces in northern Iraq, media reports said.
- Supreme Leader says country facing vast enemy front IRNA 09 Jan 2016 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei said Iran was now facing a vast front of enemies which included the Zionist regime and the US government.
- Leader warns of enemy attempts to harm Iran Press TV 09 Jan 2016 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei says enemies have left no stone unturned over the past decades to destroy Iran's 1979 Islamic Revolution.
- Iran been patient so far vis-à-vis negative Saudi acts: Zarif Press TV 09 Jan 2016 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says the Islamic Republic has so far exercised patience with regard to negative measures adopted by Saudi Arabia as Riyadh steps up its hostile policies against Tehran.
- Gulf States Condemn Iranian Interference In Saudi Affairs RFE/RL 09 Jan 2016 -- The Sunni Arab monarchies of the Persian Gulf have expressed support for Saudi Arabia in its diplomatic row with Iran, condemning what they described as Iranian interference in Riyadh's internal affairs.
- Arab Gulf States May Take New Steps Against Iran Sputnik 09 Jan 2016 -- According to the Cooperation Council for the Arab States of the Gulf, Arab states of the Persian Gulf will take additional measures against Iran.
- Riyadh must choose between hate-mongering and stability: Zarif ISNA 09 Jan 2016 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said Saudi Arabia has to make 'a crucial choice' to either promote "sectarian hate-mongering' by its continued support for extremist groups or promote regional stability.
- Seoul broadcasts pushing Korea to brink of war: Pyongyang Press TV 09 Jan 2016 -- North Korea has warned that the South's resumption of anti-Pyongyang propaganda broadcasts on the border could push the Korean Peninsula to "the brink of war."
- Iraq's premier vows to stamp out corruption in 2016 Press TV 09 Jan 2016 -- Iraq's prime minister says his administration will not relent in its determination to battle and eradicate corruption in 2016.
- Mexico Sends Escaped Drug Lord 'El Chapo' Back to Prison VOA 09 Jan 2016 -- Fugitive Mexican drug trafficker Joaquin 'El Chapo' Guzman has been sent back to the Altiplano prison, after being recaptured some seven months after he escaped from the facility.
- Attack Near Cairo Kills 2 Egyptian Officers VOA 09 Jan 2016 -- An Egyptian affiliate of the extremist Islamic State group says it carried out an armed attack Saturday that killed two members of security forces on their way to work on the outskirts of Cairo. The gunmen targeted a car carrying a police officer and a soldier in Egypt's Giza province. In a separate attack earlier, on Friday evening, knife-wielding militants stabbed three tourists dining at a hotel in a Red Sea resort.
- Nepal: UN political chief encourages dialogue among leaders to overcome differences on constitution UN News 09 Jan 2016 -- Expressing deep concern about current developments adversely affecting Nepal's humanitarian situation, economic performance and reconstruction efforts, the top United Nations political official today encouraged the country's leaders to overcome their differences on constitutional arrangements through inclusive dialogue and parliamentary process.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|