26 December 2015 Military News
- Inherent Resolve Strikes Target ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 26 Dec 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US burned $231 million over sat-aided missile system: Report Press TV 26 Dec 2015 -- A new report details how the United States government threw away over $230 million of taxpayer money on a failed satellite-aided missile system.
- US foreign arms sales rose by $10 billion in 2014: Report Press TV 26 Dec 2015 -- US arms sales to other countries soared by almost $10 billion last year even as the global weapons market remained flat, according to a new congressional report.
- Turkey seeks to revive military relations with Israel: Sources Press TV 26 Dec 2015 -- Turkey is looking to resume military cooperation with Israel, Turkish defense sources say, as talks continue between Ankara and Tel Aviv to restore bilateral ties after more than five years of a hiatus.
- Russia president orders counter-terrorism units on coasts Press TV 26 Dec 2015 -- Russia is set to establish several counter-terrorism operational headquarters in different coastal areas across the country, as Moscow is engaged in fighting with terror groups in Syria.
- Putin Orders to Set Up Anti-Terror Centers in Russia's Five Coastal Cities Sputnik 26 Dec 2015 -- Vladimir Putin has ordered to set up five anti-terror centers in Russian coastal cities.
- Poroshenko Approves Plan for Foreign Troops to Join Drills in Ukraine Sputnik 26 Dec 2015 -- Up to 5,000 troops from NATO members as well as countries who are part of NATO's broader Partnership for Peace program will be allowed to participate in the drills on the Ukrainian territory in 2016, according to Ukrainian President's decree.
- Russia Could Produce Up to 200 Helicopter Engines in 2016 - Rostec Sputnik 26 Dec 2015 -- Rostec head said that Russia could increase overall production of its VK-2500 helicopter engine.
- Government documents on Diaoyutais in China no longer secret: MOFA CNA 26 Dec 2015 -- Taiwanese government documents concerning the disputed Diaoyutai Islands recently displayed in exhibitions in China have already been declassified, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said Saturday.
- Armed Chinese vessel spotted in disputed waters: Japan Press TV 26 Dec 2015 -- Japan says an armed Chinese coast guard vessel has entered what Tokyo considers its territorial waters near the disputed East China Sea islands for the second time in less than a week.
- Armed Chinese Vessel Enters Japanese Territorial Waters - Coast Guard Sputnik 26 Dec 2015 -- An armed Chinese government vessel entered Japan's territorial waters Saturday, the Japanese coast guard said, as cited by the local media.
- Iran urges lasting ceasefire, end of blockade in Yemen ISNA 26 Dec 2015 -- A senior Iranian official called for a lasting ceasefire and an immediate end to human blockade in war-hit Yemen.
- Balance of power in favor of Yemen in Saudi war: Ansarullah official Press TV 26 Dec 2015 -- A senior member of Yemen's Houthi Ansarullah movement says the balance of power has tipped in favor of the Yemeni side nearly 10 months into Saudi Arabia's campaign against the Arabian Peninsula country.
- Yemeni army, allied forces kill eight Saudi soldiers Press TV 26 Dec 2015 -- At least eight Saudi soldiers have been killed in an operation by the Yemeni army and allied forces in the kingdom's oil-rich eastern province of al-Ahsa, media reports say.
- Syria army forces make fresh advances against Takfiri terrorists Press TV 26 Dec 2015 -- The Syrian army has made fresh advances as its forces continued to carry out wide-scale military operations against Takfiri terrorist positions across the country.
- UN sets January 25 to convene talks on Syria Press TV 26 Dec 2015 -- The UN has announced plans to convene negotiations between the Syrian government and the foreign-backed opposition in Geneva on January 25 in another attempt to end the deadly crisis in the Arab country.
- Militants pullout from south Damascus put on hold Press TV 26 Dec 2015 -- Despite a UN-brokered deal, the evacuation of some 2,000 militants out of the southern areas of the Syrian capital, Damascus, has been ceased, the Lebanese al-Manar television says.
- Syrian army troops inflict heavy losses on Takfiri militants Press TV 26 Dec 2015 -- Syrian government forces have inflicted heavy losses on the Takfiri militants during large-scale mop-up operations across the Arab country.
- Syria forces seize chemical attack equipment Press TV 26 Dec 2015 -- Government troops in Syria have seized chemical attack equipment from a militant field hospital in the western port city of Latakia.
- US-backed Syrian Coalition Seizes Major Dam As Envoy Sets Talks' Start Date RFE/RL 26 Dec 2015 -- A Syrian rebel coalition backed by the United States appeared to have seized a strategic dam in northern Syria, as the airstrike death of another rebel commander injected new uncertainty into peace talks set for next month.
- Syrian Air Forces Conducted 168 Sorties, Hit 190 Terrorist Targets Sputnik 26 Dec 2015 -- The Syrian Air Forces have conducted 168 sorties and hit 190 terrorists targets since mid-December, the Syrian Army spokesman Brig.Gen. Ali Maihub said.
- Taking the High Road: Syrian Army Seizes Strategic Areas in Latakia Sputnik 26 Dec 2015 -- The Syrian army has reportedly managed to regain control of several strategic regions from militants in the country's northwestern province of Latakia.
- Kurdish-Arab Coalition Advances Against Daesh on Multiple Fronts in Syria Sputnik 26 Dec 2015 -- Allied Kurdish and Arab anti-Daesh forces claim to be making gains in a fresh offensive launched in the Aleppo province.
- UN envoy sets 25 January as target date to begin intra-Syrian peace talks UN News 26 Dec 2015 -- The United Nations Special Envoy for Syria has set 25 January 2016 as the target date to begin talks between the parties aimed at ending the five-year-old conflict, his spokesperson announced today.
- Syrian Rebels Mourn Loss of Leader, Name Replacement VOA 26 Dec 2015 -- Syrian militant groups mourned Saturday the death of a powerful rebel commander who was killed in an airstrike near Damascus, and they named a top military commander as his successor.
- Erdogan Refuses to Cooperate With Anti-Daesh Intelligence HQ Sputnik 26 Dec 2015 -- Turkey's government refused the invitation to join the center set up in Baghdad to exchange intelligence on terrorists that pose a threat to the region, the Turkish president said in an interview on Saturday.
- Iraqi forces enter central area of Ramadi, end Daesh occupation IRNA 26 Dec 2015 -- Iraqi army entered Haouz area of Ramadi, where the administration of the Anbar province as well as police directorate are located.
- Another district liberated in Iraq's Ramadi Press TV 26 Dec 2015 -- Iraq's military and volunteer fighters have liberated another district in Ramadi, Anbar Province, as the campaign against the Daesh Takfiri terrorists picks up pace.
- Turkey says Iraq troop deployment to 'counter Daesh threats' Press TV 26 Dec 2015 -- Turkey has reacted to the Arab League's condemnation of Turkish troops' deployment in northern Iraq, claiming that the military presence in the war-torn Arab country is aimed at countering threats posed by the Takfiri Daesh terrorists in the region.
- Iraqi forces kill 54 Daesh militants in Anbar Press TV 26 Dec 2015 -- The Iraqi army says it has killed 54 militants of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group during its ongoing anti-terror operations in areas south of Fallujah in the restive province of Anbar.
- Iraqi Forces Enter Central Area of Ramadi Captured by Daesh Sputnik 26 Dec 2015 -- Iraqi army entered Haouz area of Ramadi, where the administration of the Anbar province as well as police directorate are located, according to media reports.
- Spokesman: Iraqi Soldiers Close to Retaking Ramadi VOA 26 Dec 2015 -- An Iraqi army spokesman says Iraqi troops have pushed deeper into the heart of Ramadi, where they have been engaged in a weeklong offensive to take back a government complex from Islamic State militants after losing control of the city seven months ago.
- Clashes among militant factions leave 10 dead in northern Mali Press TV 26 Dec 2015 -- At least ten members of the Tuareg group have been killed in twin attacks in northern Mali blamed on several terror groups.
- Army forces kill 6 PKK militants in southeast Turkey Press TV 26 Dec 2015 -- At least six members of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) have been killed after Turkish military forces launched separate operations against the militants in the country's restive southeastern province of Sirnak.
- 14 Killed in Rebel Attacks, Clashes in Southern Philippines VOA 26 Dec 2015 -- Muslim rebels' Christmas attacks on Christian villages in the southern Philippines have left at least 14 people dead.
- Daesh Threatens Israel with Takeover of Palestine Sputnik 26 Dec 2015 -- Abu Bakr Baghdadi, the leader of the Islamic State jihadist group (ISIL or Daesh, outlawed in Russia) said that the Daesh militants would soon establish an Islamic state in Palestine.
- Purported Baghdadi Message Claims IS Is 'Doing Well' VOA 26 Dec 2015 -- Islamic State has released a new message purportedly from its reclusive leader, saying his self-styled 'caliphate' is 'doing well" and that airstrikes by Russia and a U.S.-led coalition have failed to weaken the group.
- Iran's oil plunges below $30 Press TV 26 Dec 2015 -- Iran's media reported on Saturday that the price of the country's heavy crude oil had plunged to below $30 per barrel for the first time in almost 20 years.
- Year-Ender: Iran Looks To Build On Momentum RFE/RL 26 Dec 2015 -- Months of intense nuclear negotiations between Iran and major world powers dominated the headlines in 2015. In 2016, we get to see the first signs of how the deal that was reached will shape the future of the Islamic republic.
- Turkey's premier calls off meeting with HDP leader Press TV 26 Dec 2015 -- Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu has called off a planned meeting with the pro-Kurdish Peoples' Democratic Party (HDP), accusing it of supporting violence in the country.
- Turkish Prime Minister Cancels Talks With Pro-Kurdish Opposition Party Sputnik 26 Dec 2015 -- Pro-Kurdish Peoples' Democratic Party (HDP) leaders have shown that 'they lack the political maturity required to use politics as a means to solve problems' and Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu cancelled a planned meeting HDP representatives, according to the statement of Davutoglu's office.
- Burundi protesters slam African Union plan for peacekeepers Press TV 26 Dec 2015 -- Thousands of supporters of Burundi's President Pierre Nkurunziza have protested against a plan by the African Union to deploy peacekeepers to the country.
- Modi's Trip Seen as Another Step in Cultivating South Asian Ties VOA 26 Dec 2015 -- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi's visit to Afghanistan and Pakistan this week is a new step in the three countries' effort to find a more normal pattern of existing alongside each other, regional analysts say.
- Japan confirms detention of three nationals in China Press TV 26 Dec 2015 -- Japan has confirmed the detention of three of its nationals by Chinese authorities, rejecting, however, the charges of spying leveled by Beijing against them.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|