25 December 2015 Military News
- Coalition Forces Continue Attacks on ISIL Targets in Syria, Iraq AFPS 25 Dec 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- India to Help Afghanistan in Rebuilding Statehood Sputnik 25 Dec 2015 -- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi said that a strong Afghanistan was necessary for peace and stability in the region and called for all Afghanistan's neighbors, including Pakistan and Iran, to unite and cooperate in a joint effort to help Afghanistan.
- IS Video Shows Group's Extreme Violent Acts in Afghanistan VOA 25 Dec 2015 -- Loyalists of Islamic State (IS) in Afghanistan released a new video Friday showing a massive suicide car bombing of an Afghan security outpost and several other violent acts elsewhere, including some carried out in neighboring Pakistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Critics Say US Needs 'Failed State' Policy for Syria, Iraq VOA 25 Dec 2015 -- In about one month, the government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and Syrian opposition groups are set to meet for peace talks in Geneva. But already, there is a sense that the talks, advocated by the United States, are doomed to fail.
- Okinawa sues Japan government over US base relocation Press TV 25 Dec 2015 -- The Okinawa prefecture has filed a lawsuit against the Japanese government over local resistance to a relocation of a US military base within the strategic island.
- Okinawa Sues Tokyo in Latest Bid to Stop US Base Relocation VOA 25 Dec 2015 -- In a continuing legal battle, Okinawa officials sued Japan's central government Friday in an attempt to stop the relocation of a U.S. air base from a heavily populated area to a less-developed area of the tiny island.
- Russia to Replace 2 Anti-Aircraft Artillery With New 57 Caliber Systems Sputnik 25 Dec 2015 -- Commander of the Russian Land Force's air defense stated that Russia is developing a new 57 caliber anti-aircraft weapon system to replace two existing systems.
- Yemeni forces kill Saudi prince in Ma'rib Province: Report Press TV 25 Dec 2015 -- Yemeni army forces, backed by allied Popular Committees loyal to the Houthi Ansarullah movement, have killed a Saudi prince during an attack in the oil-rich province of Ma'rib in central Yemen, a report says.
- Jeish Al-Islam Top Commander Killed in Russian airstrike in Syria IRNA 25 Dec 2015 -- The Russian airstrikes targeted the command center of Jeish al-Islam (Army of Islam) terrorist group in Eastern Ghouta in Damascus countryside on Friday, killing ten of militants, including the terrorist group's deputy top commander.
- Top Syrian Rebel Leader Killed In Air Strike RFE/RL 25 Dec 2015 -- The leader of one of Syria's most powerful rebel groups, Jaysh al-Islam, has been killed in an air strike east of Damascus, according to the Syrian Army and opposition activists.
- New heights liberated in northwestern Syria Press TV 25 Dec 2015 -- Syrian forces have seized control of major hilltops held by terrorists in the northwestern province of Latakia.
- UN must be cornerstone in Syria national talks: Iran Press TV 25 Dec 2015 -- A senior Iranian official says the United Nations must play a pivotal role in the Syrian national dialog aimed at finding a settlement to nearly five-year-long crisis in the Arab country.
- Top Islamist Leader Reportedly Killed in Airstrike Near Damascus Sputnik 25 Dec 2015 -- The leader of the Jaysh al-Islam radical Islamist group was killed in an airstrike near Damascus, local media reports.
- Airstrike Kills Prominent Rebel Leader in Syria VOA 25 Dec 2015 -- Syrian rebel sources and activists say the leader of one of the most powerful insurgent groups in the rebel-held suburbs of Damascus, Zahran Alloush, has been killed in an airstrike.
- Op to liberate Mosul to follows Ramadi liberation: Iraq PM Press TV 25 Dec 2015 -- Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi says Iraqi forces will move to free the strategic northern city of Mosul once they have liberated Anbar's provincial capital city of Ramadi from Daesh terrorists.
- Violence killed over 11,000 people in Iraq in 2015: UN Press TV 25 Dec 2015 -- A UN mission says thousands of people have lost their lives and many more sustained injuries as a result of the ongoing violence in Iraq in the current year.
- Iraqi Army Heading for Ramadi Center Sputnik 25 Dec 2015 -- Iraq's army spokesman Yahya Rasool Abdullah said that army continues to advance towards the center of Ramadi to free it from the Daesh.
- Turkish Soldier, Six PKK Militants Killed in Shootout in Turkey's Southeast Sputnik 25 Dec 2015 -- One Turkish soldier and six members of of the outlawed in Turkey Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) were killed and two more Turkish soldiers were injured during operation against PKK in town of Cizre in the Turkish Sirnak province.
- Modi Makes Surprise Visit To Pakistan RFE/RL 25 Dec 2015 -- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has made a surprise trip to Pakistan, his first visit to India's longtime regional rival since being elected last year.
- Indian Leader Makes Surprise Visit to Pakistan - New Delhi Sputnik 25 Dec 2015 -- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi met up withPakistan's Prime Minister Mohammad Nawaz Sharif during his surpise visit to Pakistan.
- In Impromptu Trip, Indian's Modi Visits Home of Pakistan's Sharif VOA 25 Dec 2015 -- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi's visit to Pakistan Friday -- the first visit by an Indian leader in 12 years -- included a stop at Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif's home.
- AIIB officially launched, to become operational in mid-January People's Daily 25 Dec 2015 -- The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) was formally established on Friday after it garnered enough countries' domestic approval.
- Suspected Suicide Bomber Attacks Bangladesh Mosque VOA 25 Dec 2015 -- A suspected suicide bomber set off his explosives during Friday prayers at a mosque in northern Bangladesh, killing himself and leaving about a dozen people injured.
- ISIL allows harvesting captives' body organs: US Press TV 25 Dec 2015 -- The United States says it has obtained a document revealing that the Daesh (ISIL) terrorist group has allowed harvesting body organs from their captives.
- CAR Rushes Election Preparations After Delay VOA 25 Dec 2015 -- The Central African Republic's electoral commission is scrambling to get everything in place for polling, delayed Thursday by several days because of logistical difficulties. Many hope the national elections, now set for Wednesday, will bring peace to the country after three years of violent conflict.
- South Sudan president issues decree creating 28 new states Press TV 25 Dec 2015 -- South Sudan's president has issued a Christmas decree creating 28 new states in a bid that may undermine a peace deal in the African country .
- Georgia's Ruling Party Selects New Prime Minister RFE/RL 25 Dec 2015 -- Zviad Kvachantiradze, who heads the Georgian parliament's majority Georgian Dream (GD) faction, announced at a meeting of faction members on December 25 that agreement was reached during talks the previous day on nominating current Foreign Minister Giorgi Kvirikashvili as the country's new prime minister.Irakli Garibashvili announced his resignation from that post late on December 23 without specifying his reasons for doing so.
- Tajik President Receives 'Leader' Title, Lifelong Immunity RFE/RL 25 Dec 2015 -- Tajik President Emomali Rahmon has signed into law a bill that gives him the title 'Leader of the Nation' and grants him lifelong immunity from prosecution.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|