13 December 2015 Military News
- Coalition Conducts 22 Strikes Against ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 13 Dec 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Pentagon Oks first step in replacing aging US spy planes Press TV 13 Dec 2015 -- The Pentagon has approved the next step in a program to replace the US Air Force's aging fleet of spy and battle aircraft, spokeswoman Maureen Schumann says.
- Turkey army bans staff from traveling to Russia Press TV 13 Dec 2015 -- The Turkish army has banned its staff from traveling to Russia for holidays, local media say, amid heightened tensions between the two countries.
- Russia Puts Military Satellite Into Orbit on December 13 Sputnik 13 Dec 2015 -- According to Russia's Defense Ministry, a military satellite launched on the Proton-M carrier rocket has been put into orbit.
- Beijing steps up military exercises in South China Sea Press TV 13 Dec 2015 -- Chinese Defense Ministry says the country has stepped up its military drills over the past days in the disputed South China Sea as part of its routine exercises.
- India to Purchase Spare Parts for Su-30 Fleet From Russia Sputnik 13 Dec 2015 -- India intends to sign an agreement with Russia for the purchase of spare parts for Su-30MKI fighter jets for the next five years.
- U.S. urges Taiwan to contribute to peace in South China Sea CNA 13 Dec 2015 -- The U.S. government on Saturday called on all the claimants of the South China Sea to work to reduce regional tensions and said it hoped that a visit by Taiwan's Interior Minister Chen Wei-zen (陳威仁) to Taiping Island in the area that day would contribute to the peace objective.
- Yemeni forces kill over 80 Saudi-led troops in missile attack Press TV 13 Dec 2015 -- Yemeni forces have managed to kill over 80 Saudi-led troops, including 42 Blackwater mercenaries, in a ballistic missile attack in the western Bab-el-Mandeb area.
- 19 civilians killed in Saudi airstrikes in Yemen Press TV 13 Dec 2015 -- At least 19 civilians have been killed in fresh Saudi airstrikes on different parts of Yemen, local residents say.
- Yemeni forces capture strategic Saudi-held base in Ta'izz Press TV 13 Dec 2015 -- Yemeni soldiers backed by Houthi Ansarullah fighters have captured a strategic military base used by Saudi forces in Yemen's southwestern province of Ta'izz.
- Syrian army advances in Aleppo province IRNA 13 Dec 2015 -- The Syrian fighter jets destroyed the Takfiri terrorists' military positions and strongholds in strategic villages in Aleppo province on Sunday.
- Iran reiterates diplomacy as only solution to Syria crisis ISNA 13 Dec 2015 -- A senior Iranian official reiterated Tehran's stance on the necessity for resolving the crisis in Syria through a political approach that respects the will of the Syrian nation.
- Iran, Russia don't differ on Syria: Amir-Abdollahian Press TV 13 Dec 2015 -- Iran has rejected reports by certain Western media alleging that the country has differences with Russia on the issue of Syria.
- Militant leader killed by Syrian military in Latakia Press TV 13 Dec 2015 -- The Syrian army forces have managed to inflict more losses on the foreign-backed militant groups operating inside the Arab country, killing more terrorists.
- Russia Slams Riyadh's Syrian Opposition Agreement RFE/RL 13 Dec 2015 -- An agreement between Syrian opposition groups in Riyadh this week excluded important groups like Syrian Kurds and should not form the basis for peace talks, the Russian Foreign Ministry said.
- Syrian Warplanes Bomb Daesh Strongholds Across Homs, Aleppo, Hama Sputnik 13 Dec 2015 -- The Syrian Air Force intensified its bombing campaign of Daesh positions across the provinces of Homs, Hama and Aleppo, Fars news agency reported on Sunday.
- Syrian Army Destroys Terrorist 'Lifeline' to Turkey in Aleppo Province Sputnik 13 Dec 2015 -- The Syrian army has continued its "swift" and "precise" offensive in the key province of Aleppo, freeing more villages, destroying terrorists and militant infrastructure, as well as clearing improvised explosive devices in liberated areas, the SANA news agency reported, citing an unnamed military source.
- Iraqi forces deal heavy blows to Daesh militants Press TV 13 Dec 2015 -- Iraqi government forces, backed by military aircraft, have carried out successful clean-up operations against the Daesh terrorist group on several fronts, inflicting heavy losses on the Takfiri militants.
- Russia Considers Turkey's 'Invasion' in Northern Iraq Illegal Sputnik 13 Dec 2015 -- Moscow sees Turkey's deployment of troops into Iraq territory an "unjustifiable" and "illegal invasion" of a sovereign state.
- Ministerial Meeting for Libya Joint Communique US Dept. of State 13 Dec 2015
- World Powers Back Libyan Unity Plan VOA 13 Dec 2015 -- World powers have wrapped up a meeting with representatives of Libya's two rival factions with an affirmation of support for a U.N.-backed plan that would establish a unity government.
- Constitutional referendum begins in violence-wracked CAR Press TV 13 Dec 2015 -- People in the Central African Republic (CAR) have started voting on the new constitution adopted by the transitional government as violent clashes grip the landlocked African state.
- Violence Shakes CAR Vote on New Constitution VOA 13 Dec 2015 -- At least six people were wounded Sunday in fighting and gunfire in Bangui as voters in the Central African Republic cast ballots in a referendum on a new constitution intended to stop more than three years of violence.
- Russian MoD Summons Turkish Military Attache Over Incident in Aegean Sea Sputnik 13 Dec 2015 -- The Russian Defense Ministry has summoned a Turkish military attache in Moscow over an incident in the Aegean Sea, the ministry press service said Sunday.
- Russia warship fires warning shots at Turkish boat in Aegean Press TV 13 Dec 2015 -- Russia says one of its warships was forced to fire warning shots at a Turkish boat in the Aegean Sea to avoid a collision.
- Russian Frigate Uses Firearms to Prevent Collision With Turkish Vessel Sputnik 13 Dec 2015 -- The crew of the Russian "Smetlivy" destroyer was forced to use firearms on Sunday to prevent a collision with a Turkish seiner vessel in the northern part of the Aegean Sea, according to Russia's Ministry of Defense.
- Araqchi: Iran to take action if Congress visa waiver bill contradicts JCPOA IRNA 13 Dec 2015 -- Foreign Ministry Deputy for Legal and International Affairs Abbas Araqchi said Iran will take action if the recent US Congress bill on visa requirements for those who have travelled to Iran in the past past five years contradicts the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
- Iran to take action on US legislation if it runs counter to JCPOA ISNA 13 Dec 2015 -- Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister for Legal and International Affairs Abbas Araqchi reiterated that the country would take the required actions on the recent US House of Representatives legislation in case it runs counter to the JCPOA.
- Amano report's approval can close PMD file: Iran Press TV 13 Dec 2015 -- A senior Iranian official says the case of the so-called possible military dimensions (PMD) of Iran's nuclear program can be closed when the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)'s Board of Governors upholds the recent report of the agency's chief.
- US Orders Government Personnel Out of Burundi Amid Violence VOA 13 Dec 2015 -- The U.S. government is urging its citizens to leave Burundi amid deadly clashes involving military and police.
- First Women Elected to Public Office in Saudi Arabia VOA 13 Dec 2015 -- At least 13 women have won municipal council seats in Saudi Arabia's first election open to women voters and candidates.
- Japanese Prime Minister Leaves India with Key Agreements VOA 13 Dec 2015 -- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on Sunday ended his three-day visit to India where he signed a number of agreements in key areas.
- Exit Polls: French Far Right Routed in Sunday's Regional Elections VOA 13 Dec 2015 -- Exit polls in France are projecting that voters decisively have rejected the country's anti-immigrant far right National Front in Sunday's regional run-off elections.
- Russian Reporter Forced Out Of Poland On Spying Charges RFE/RL 13 Dec 2015 -- A Russian journalist who came under suspicion of espionage was forced to leave Poland on December 12 though he protested that he never was presented with specific charges against him.
- At Least 24 Killed In Bomb Blast At Busy Pakistani Market RFE/RL 13 Dec 2015 -- Reports say at least 24 people have been killed and more than 70 wounded by a bomb that exploded at a market in Pakistan near the Afghan border.
- 23 Killed in Pakistan Market Blast; Sunni Group Claims Attack VOA 13 Dec 2015 -- Officials in northwestern Pakistan say a bomb blast ripped through a busy clothing market Sunday, killing at least 23 people and wounding about 55 others.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|