03 December 2015 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 03 Dec 2015 [PDF]
- Coalition Strikes Target ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 03 Dec 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- 'Iraq-style invasion' of Syria, Iraq not an option, says Obama Press TV 03 Dec 2015 -- US President Barack Obama has defended his decision to deploy special operations forces in Syria and Iraq to reportedly fight the Daesh (ISIL) terrorist group, insisting that it will not lead to "an Iraq-style invasion" of the two countries.
- Update: air strikes in Iraq and Syria UK MOD 03 Dec 2015 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations in the fight against Daesh
- RAF conduct first air strikes in Syria UK MOD 03 Dec 2015 -- Royal Air Force Tornado aircraft, as part of operations against Daesh, have flown their first missions over Syria.
- Head of Afghan Militia Asks for Russian Help Against Daesh Sputnik 03 Dec 2015 -- In a drawn-out statement, the head of Afghanistan's Marg militia asked for Russian support against ISIL, which he said would spread from the country to Russia as the country's security deteriorates.
- Taliban Rejects Reports Leader Wounded in Firefight VOA 03 Dec 2015 -- Afghanistan's Taliban has rejected widespread reports its leader, Mullah Akhtar Mansoor, was attacked and wounded in a firefight earlier this week. Officials in neighboring Pakistan, where the alleged incident happened, also have said they are not aware of it.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Department of Defense Press Briefing by Secretary Carter in the Pentagon Briefing Room DoD 03 Dec 2015-- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter
- Carter Opens All Military Occupations, Positions to Women AFPS 03 Dec 2015 -- Defense Secretary Ash Carter announced today that beginning in January 2016, all military occupations and positions will be open to women, without exception.
- US Military to Allow Women in Combat Roles VOA 03 Dec 2015 -- U.S. women soldiers will be able to drive tanks and fire mortars in the near future as the Pentagon opens combat missions to women starting in the new year.
- Ronald Reagan Completes 2015 Patrol NNS 03 Dec 2015 -- The Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76) returned to Commander, Fleet Activities Yokosuka, Japan, (CFAY) after completing her 2015 patrol Dec. 3.
- Moody deploys first HC-130Js AFNS 03 Dec 2015 -- The 71st Rescue Squadron deployed two HC-130J Combat King II aircraft for the first time Nov. 27.
- Washington violates treaty on prohibition of intermediate-range missiles: Moscow Press TV 03 Dec 2015 -- Russia says installing the Mk 41 vertical launching systems in Eastern Europe by the United States is a violation of their bilateral deal on prohibition of using intermediate-range cruise missiles.
- NATO Welcomes Montenegro through its Open Door by Jens Stoltenberg, NATO Secretary General NATO 03 Dec 2015 -- This week, NATO Foreign Ministers unanimously agreed to invite Montenegro to begin accession talks to become the twenty-ninth member of the Alliance. This is a historic occasion. I congratulate the government and the people of Montenegro for everything they have achieved.
- NATO Take-Over: US to Deploy Its Military Hardware in Lithuania Sputnik 03 Dec 2015 -- The United States will deploy about 200 pieces of military equipment in Lithuania for training purposes, according to the Lithuanian Defense Ministry.
- Russian Primorye Air Regiment to Get 3 MiG-31BM Interceptors By Year-End Sputnik 03 Dec 2015 -- The Primorye-based Russian Aerospace Forces' regiment is to receive three advanced MiG-31BM fighters, according to Russian Defense Ministry.
- Tokyo Considering Advanced US Air Defense Systems to Counter N.Korea Sputnik 03 Dec 2015 -- The Japanese Defense Ministry could deploy advanced US Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) systems during the next five-year defense buildup program starting in 2019.
- Chinese Air Force Keep Up East China Sea Patrols Sputnik 03 Dec 2015 -- The Chinese defense ministry announced its bombers recently conducted exercises beyond 'the first island chain' over the East China Sea.
- Germany Chief of Staff Affirms Tornado Jets Ready Ahead of Syria Mission Sputnik 03 Dec 2015 -- The Germany Tornado reconnaissance aircraft to be deployed to conduct airstrikes against Islamic State (IS, or its Arabic name Daesh) in Syria are in a combat worthy condition, Volker Wieker, chief of staff of the Bundeswehr, Germany's armed forces, said Thursday.
- 'Russia begins air defense system delivery to Iran' Press TV 03 Dec 2015 -- Russia has reportedly begun the delivery of the S-300 air defense system to Iran as part of a long-running contract between Tehran and Moscow, reports say.
- Kerry Meets Russian Counterpart Amid NATO, Turkey Tensions VOA 03 Dec 2015 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry met his Russian counterpart in Belgrade Thursday amid tensions over NATO's invitation to Montenegro to join the alliance. The ongoing battle against Islamic State dominated the annual summit of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe.
- December 3, 2015 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 03 Dec 2015
- US Lawmakers Criticize China on Disputed Islands VOA 03 Dec 2015 -- Some U.S. congressmen have criticized China for what they say is a lack of sincerity in its pledge of non-militarization of the disputed reefs and islands in the South China Sea.
- UN must arrange any Syria opposition meeting: Iran Press TV 03 Dec 2015 -- A senior Iranian diplomat has criticized Saudi Arabia's move to gather dozens of Syrian opposition figures in Riyadh, saying any such meeting should be arranged by the United Nations.
- Iran warns against Syria talks violating Vienna agreement Press TV 03 Dec 2015 -- A senior Iranian official has warned against any meetings outside the provisions of the recent agreement reached in the Austrian capital, Vienna, on the crisis in Syria.
- Russia urges Britain to form broader coalition against ISIL terrorists Press TV 03 Dec 2015 -- Russia has welcomed Britain for extending its airstrikes against Daesh in Syria and calls for a broader coalition to annihilate the terrorist group.
- Iraqi forces deal heavy blows to Daesh militants Press TV 03 Dec 2015 -- Iraqi government forces backed by military aircraft have carried out successful clean-up operations against the Daesh terrorist group in the conflict-stricken Arab country, inflicting heavy losses on the Takfiri militants.
- Iraqi Forces Kill 15 Daesh Fighters - Military Command Sputnik 03 Dec 2015 -- At least 12 terrorists were killed by Iraqi forces in Anbar, where a large-scale campaign to retake the capital city of Ramadi is underway, and three more members of the Daesh militant group were killed in an operation in Salah Al-Din province, according to Iraqi military command press office.
- Joint Statement by the Heads of Delegation of the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chair Countries US Dept. of State 03 Dec 2015
- Lviv Embraces US Training for Ukrainian Soldiers VOA 03 Dec 2015 -- As sporadic fighting continues between government forces and pro-Russian separatists in eastern Ukraine, the U.S. Army has begun training soldiers from Ukraine's Ministry of Defense.
- Putin Promises To Deliver More Power In Visit To Crimea RFE/RL 03 Dec 2015 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin promised to deliver new electricity supplies to power-short Crimea in a surprise visit to the disputed territory on December 2.
- Kerry Calls on Russia, Ukraine to Restore Cease-fire VOA 03 Dec 2015 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry has told a group of European foreign ministers that Russia and Ukraine both must work to end tensions and restore the cease-fire in Ukraine.
- Fresh Fighting in Contested Somali Town VOA 03 Dec 2015 -- Renewed fighting was reported in central Somalia Thursday, a day after the leaders of the rival Puntland and Galmudug administrations signed a peace deal.
- Presidential Address to the Federal Assembly President of Russia 03 Dec 2015 -- Vladimir Putin delivered the Annual Presidential Address to the Federal Assembly. The Address was traditionally delivered at the Kremlin's St George Hall before an audience of more than 1,000 people.
- Putin Says Turkey Will Regret Shooting Down Russian Warplane RFE/RL 03 Dec 2015 -- President Vladimir Putin has used an annual speech to Russian officials to lash out against the Turkish government, saying it facilitates terrorism and calling the recent shooting down by Turkey of a Russian warplane along the Turkey-Syria border a 'betrayal.'
- Putin Threatens Turkey in Speech to Nation VOA 03 Dec 2015 -- Russia's President Vladimir Putin has threatened Turkey with unspecified actions in addition to sanctions it already put in place this week for the Turkish military's shooting down a Russian bomber.
- Turkey will regret shooting down Russian plane: Putin Press TV 03 Dec 2015 -- Russia's President Vladimir Putin says Turkey will repent 'more than once' the downing of a Russian fighter jet near the Syrian-Turkish border, stating that Moscow will not turn a blind eye to Ankara's 'aiding of terrorists.'
- Russia accuses Erdogan's family of profiteering from oil smuggling People's Daily 03 Dec 2015 -- The Russian Defense Ministry on Wednesday accused Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his family of profiting from illegal shipments of oil by the Islamic State (IS) terrorist group in Syria.
- Turkey projects blame for Daesh oil smuggling onto Russia Press TV 03 Dec 2015 -- Turkey has resorted to projection over the smuggling of oil from Daesh-held territories in Iraq, claiming that Russia, which recently provided satellite images to further disclose the issue, was behind the illegal trade.
- Erdogan: Ankara Has Proof Of Russian Involvement In IS Oil Trade RFE/RL 03 Dec 2015 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says Ankara has proof that Russia was involved in the illegal oil trade with the Islamic State (IS) extremist group in Syria.
- Turkey, Russia Hold First High-Level Talks Since Plane Downing VOA 03 Dec 2015 -- A Turkish official says the foreign ministers of Turkey and Russia met Thursday on the sidelines of a Europe security meeting, their first high-level bilateral talks since Turkey downed a Russian fighter jet late last month.
- France drafts extension to state of emergency Press TV 03 Dec 2015 -- Less than a month after the Paris attacks, France has drawn up a draft law to extend state of emergency for up to six months from the current three-month limit.
- Kinship, Family Ties Play Role in Jihadist Recruiting VOA 03 Dec 2015 -- Politicians often point to large-scale political events and social factors, from Western intervention in the Mideast to high youth unemployment, to try to explain why young Western Muslims join the Islamic State militant group and al-Qaida, but kinship, family ties and friendship play a key role in jihadist recruiting say radicalization experts.
- Islamic State's US Recruits So Diverse They 'Defy Analysis' VOA 03 Dec 2015 -- Their average age is 26. Eighty-six percent are male. Most use Twitter and other social media to find and spread propaganda. But other than that, there are frustratingly few traits in common among individuals in the United States who support the Islamic State group, according to a new study.
- US, China reach agreement on cyber espionage Press TV 03 Dec 2015 -- The United States and China have reached an agreement to expand cooperation on stopping cyber espionage between the two geopolitical rivals.
- China Confirms OPM Hack, Says Criminal in Origin VOA 03 Dec 2015 -- China has admitted for the first time that a massive hacking attack on U.S. government databases was carried out by Chinese hackers, but denies it was a state-backed operation. Chinese state media say the incident was among several others discussed during high-level cyber security talks in Washington this week.
- Hong Kong Sees Rising Number of Cyberattacks VOA 03 Dec 2015 -- A year after pro-democracy protests filled the streets of Hong Kong, the city has become a target of multiple, and sophisticated, cyber attacks. Hong Kong cyber security watchdog Hong Kong Computer Emergency Response Team said there has been a 38 percent rise in hacking attacks since last year.
- IAEA report proves peaceful nature of nuclear program: Iran Press TV 03 Dec 2015 -- Senior Iranian officials say the latest report by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) on the country's past and present activities proves the peaceful nature of Tehran's nuclear program.
- N Korea digging nuclear testing tunnel: Report Press TV 03 Dec 2015 -- A US monitoring center claims that North Korea has begun digging a new tunnel for nuclear testing in the country's east coast.
- China-Africa Relations Expanding Beyond Cash Deals VOA 03 Dec 2015 -- China's president Xi Jinping is in South Africa for a China-Africa forum aimed at deepening economic and security ties. Such events are usually accompanied by top-dollar deals, but that there is also a new undercurrent shaping China-Africa relations.
- Kerry In First Official Visit To Kosovo Calls For Civility RFE/RL 03 Dec 2015 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry called on Kosovo's opposition leaders to stop tear gassing legislators, while urging the Balkan nation's government to stick to its plans to heal ethnic divisions.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|