14 November 2015 Military News
- Operation Inherent Resolve Strikes Continue in Syria, Iraq AFPS 14 Nov 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Statement from Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook on U.S. strike in Libya DoD 14 Nov 2015 -- On November 13, the U.S. military conducted an airstrike in Libya against Abu Nabil, aka Wissam Najm Abd Zayd al Zubaydi, an Iraqi national who was a longtime al Qaeda operative and the senior ISIL leader in Libya.
- Pentagon says top ISIL leader in Libya hit in strike Press TV 14 Nov 2015 -- The Pentagon says a US airstrike has killed a top leader of the Daesh (ISIL) terrorist group in Libya.
- Scores of Afghan Soldiers Defect to Taliban, Others Killed VOA 14 Nov 2015 -- Government officials and insurgent sources in southern Afghanistan say at least 70 Afghan soldiers have defected to the Taliban while 85 others were killed in days of fierce fighting.
- Pakistan airstrikes kill 22 militants in North Waziristan Press TV 14 Nov 2015 -- Pakistani fighter jets have pounded militant positions in the country's volatile northwest frontier bordering Afghanistan, killing at least 22 militants.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Yokota enhances capabilities through exercise AFNS 14 Nov 2015 -- Members of the 374th Airlift Wing participated in exercise Vigilant Ace 16 from Nov. 1-10, in conjunction with a Samurai Readiness Inspection at Yokota Air Base.
- Ukraine PM Presses for Weapons, Aid From West VOA 14 Nov 2015 -- Ukraine's Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk has again called for defensive weaponry and strong economic support from the West, saying the help is needed to defend national borders against Russian aggression.
- Statement of the International Syria Support Group US Dept. of State 14 Nov 2015 -- Meeting in Vienna on November 14, 2015 as the International Syria Support Group (ISSG), the Arab League, China, Egypt, the EU, France, Germany, Iran, Iraq, Italy, Jordan, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, the United Nations, and the United States to discuss how to accelerate an end to the Syrian conflict.
- Zarif predicts no real achievement for Syria in Vienna meeting IRNA 14 Nov 2015 -- Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said the upcoming meeting on Syria will have no serious achievement for the Syrian nation.
- Iran official says timetable in Syria talks must focus on ceasefire Press TV 14 Nov 2015 -- A senior Iranian official says a timetable for the settlement of the conflict in Syria must be based upon a ceasefire agreement.
- Mogherini: Paris Attacks Give Urgency To Vienna Meeting On Syria RFE/RL 14 Nov 2015 -- EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini says the attacks in Paris give urgency to a meeting in Vienna of top officials from 20 countries and world bodies seeking solutions to the war in Syria.
- 'Rare moment of diplomatic opportunity to end conflict in Syria,' says Ban as talks in Vienna reconvened UN News 14 Nov 2015 -- While members of an international support group for Syria engaged in "constructive dialogue" in Vienna on how to end the five-year conflict, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today said he is encouraged by the stakeholders reconvening to address the "grave situation" and bring about a political settlement to end the violence as soon as possible.
- Syria Talks Overshadowed by Paris Attack, but Progress Made VOA 14 Nov 2015 -- Foreign ministers and other officials attending talks on Syria's political future say Friday's deadly attacks in Paris have underscored the need to try to resolve Syria's crisis.
- Mass grave of Izadi women found in northern Iraq Press TV 14 Nov 2015 -- A mass grave, which is thought to contain the bodies of dozens of Izadi women executed by the Daesh Takfiri militants, has been discovered in northern Iraq.
- Five Ukrainian soldiers die in Donetsk clashes: Army Press TV 14 Nov 2015 -- The Ukrainian army says five of its soldiers have been killed in new clashes with pro-Russia forces in the restive eastern part of Ukraine over the past 24 hours.
- United Nations slams deadly terrorist attacks in Paris People's Daily 14 Nov 2015 -- The UN Security Council, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moonand President of the 70th session of the UN General Assembly Mogens Lykketoft on Friday condemned a series of terrorist attacks in Paris, which have reportedly killed at least 140 people.
- Timeline: How The Paris Attacks Unfolded RFE/RL 14 Nov 2015 -- More than 120 people have been killed in multiple gun and suicide bomb attacks at city center restaurants and near a sports stadium in Paris, in what is France's worst-ever terrorist attack. Here's how events unfolded.
- IS Supporters Praise Paris Attacks On Social Media RFE/RL 14 Nov 2015 -- Even before the Islamic State (IS) terror group claimed responsibility for the deadly Paris attacks that killed more than 120 people, its supporters took to Twitter to praise the carnage.
- France Hunts IS Accomplices, Fearing Fresh Attacks VOA 14 Nov 2015 -- French authorities raced Saturday to identify the perpetrators of what President Francois Hollande has called an 'act of war' against his country, fearing organizers of the sophisticated assaults may be planning more attacks.
- French Authorities Fear More 'Soldierly' Assaults VOA 14 Nov 2015 -- Witnesses say the assailants who struck Paris late Friday evening were well-trained and calm and likely rehearsed their coordinated attacks across the French capital, prompting French counterterrorist officials to believe they were veterans of the Syrian civil war or had been trained by experienced jihadists.
- World Reacts With Anger, Resolve Toward Paris Terrorism VOA 14 Nov 2015 -- Across the globe, news of the terrorist attacks in Paris brought reactions of horror and anger, and many government leaders called for stepped-up efforts to counter extremists.
- In Middle East, Paris Attacks Harden Views on Foreign Intervention VOA 14 Nov 2015 -- As Paris reels and the death toll mounts, some Egyptians are calling for a renewed global commitment against Islamic State militants, while others say failed international policies in Syria and Iraq are largely responsible for the group's existence.
- Readout of Secretary Carter's Call with French Minister of Defense Jean-Yves Le Drian DoD 14 Nov 2015
- Zarif condoles French government, people on terrorist attacks IRNA 14 Nov 2015 -- Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif expressed condolences to the French government and nation on the terrorist attacks in Paris Friday night which claimed lives of scores of civilians.
- President Rouhani strongly condemns Paris terrorist attacks IRNA 14 Nov 2015 -- President Hassan Rouhani strongly condemned the terrorist attacks in Paris which claimed lives of over 120 civilians.
- Iran strongly condemns deadly terrorist attacks in France IRNA 14 Nov 2015 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman on Saturday strongly condemned the deadly terrorist attacks in Paris that killed at least 100 people.
- Iran's Rouhani condoles with France on terrorist attacks ISNA 14 Nov 2015 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani extended condolences to his French counterpart Francois Hollande over the recent terrorist attack and hostage taking in France and stressed comprehensive efforts to fight terrorism.
- Assad: Terror Experienced by Parisians Has Gone on in Syria for Five Years Sputnik 14 Nov 2015 -- Condemning Friday's Paris terror attacks and sending his condolences to the French people, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad noted that the attacks were reminiscent of the daily terror and turmoil faced by the Syrian people over the past five years through the country's violent civil conflict.
- Rouhani trips cancelled after Paris attacks Press TV 14 Nov 2015 -- Planned trips by Iran's President Hassan Rouhani to three European destinations, including France, has been cancelled following a spate of deadly terror attacks in the French capital, Paris.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|