12 November 2015 Military News
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 12 Nov 2015 [PDF]
- Department of Defense Press Briefing by Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook in the Pentagon Briefing Room DoD 12 Nov 2015 -- Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook
- Strikes Target ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 12 Nov 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Statement from Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook on Airstrike in Raqqa, Syria DoD 12 Nov 2015 -- 'U.S. forces conducted an airstrike in Raqqa, Syria, on Nov. 12, 2015 targeting Mohamed Emwazi, also known as 'Jihadi John.'
- Coalition-Supported Iraqi Kurds Work to Cut Main ISIL Line of Communication AFPS 12 Nov 2015 -- In fighting over the past 24 hours, Iraqi Kurdish forces supported by coalition advisors and a coalition air campaign are working to cut the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant's main communication line between Raqqa and Mosul, the Pentagon press secretary said today.
- Airstrikes Support Peshmerga Offensive to Clear Sinjar AFPS 12 Nov 2015 -- Coalition airstrikes are supporting a major Peshmerga offensive operation in northwestern Iraq, the Kurdistan Region Security Council announced today.
- Update: air strikes in Iraq UK MOD 12 Nov 2015 -- British forces have continued to conduct air operations to assist the Iraqi government in its fight against ISIL.
- US-led forces in Afghanistan abusing detainees: ICC Press TV 12 Nov 2015 -- The International Criminal Court (ICC) says it has evidence indicating that US-led foreign forces in Afghanistan have subjected detainees to physical and psychological abuse.
- Leader of breakaway Taliban faction killed in infighting: Afghan official Press TV 12 Nov 2015 -- A senior figure of a breakaway Taliban faction has been killed in a recent wave of intense infighting between rival militants in southern Afghanistan, local officials say.
- Germany Considers Extending Afghanistan Troop Deployment for One Year Sputnik 12 Nov 2015 -- With a possible boost from 850 to 980 personnel, the non-combat mission advising Afghanistan's national security force could stay until the end of 2016, Der Spiegel magazine reported.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Denton Program delivers the goods AFNS 12 Nov 2015 -- A C-5 Galaxy delivered 23,415 pounds of humanitarian aid supplies to Soto Cano Air Base, Honduras, Nov. 9 through the Denton Program.
- Norway's first F-35 sortie, jets arrive on air force's birthday AFNS 12 Nov 2015 -- The first two Norwegian F-35s arrived here Nov. 10. Shortly after, a Norwegian pilot flew the F-35 Lightning II for the first time, in conjunction with the Royal Norwegian Air Force's birthday.
- Arlington Transits Suez Canal, Enters 5th Fleet NNS 12 Nov 2015 -- The amphibious transport dock ship USS Arlington (LPD 24) completed its first transit of the Suez Canal and entered the U.S. 5th Fleet area of operations, Nov. 9.
- Essex Amphibious Ready Group Operates in South China Sea Ahead of Amphibious Exercise NNS 12 Nov 2015 -- The Essex Amphibious Ready Group (ARG) transited the Straits of Malacca and conducted routine operations in the South China Sea as part of a deployment to the Western Pacific Nov. 7-10.
- USS Emory S. Land Arrives in Sepanggar, Malaysia NNS 12 Nov 2015 -- The submarine tender USS Emory S. Land (AS 39) arrived in Sepanggar, Malaysia, for a port visit Nov. 12.
- Hari'i Hamutuk Exercise 2015 Officially Closes NNS 12 Nov 2015 -- Seabees, from Naval Mobile Construction Battalion (NMCB) 3, marked the end of construction for Exercise Hari'i Hamutuk with a ribbon cutting ceremony at Hera Naval Base and Hera Health Post, Nov. 5.
- Argentine Chief of the General Staff of the Navy visits 4th Fleet NNS 12 Nov 2015 -- Argentine Chief of the General Staff of the Navy Adm. Gaston Erice visited Rear Adm. George Ballance, commander, U.S. Naval Forces Southern Command/ U.S. 4th Fleet, Nov. 3-4.
- Brazilian Chief of Fleet visits U.S. 4th Fleet NNS 12 Nov 2015 -- Brazilian Vice Adm. Liseo Zampronio, commander, Brazilian Fleet, visited Rear Adm. George Ballance, commander, U.S. Naval Forces Southern Command/ U.S. 4th Fleet (USNAVSO/4th Fleet), Nov. 3.
- NATO to Expand Nordic Presence to Counter Russian 'Aggression' Sputnik 12 Nov 2015 -- Non-NATO members Finland and Sweden welcomed NATO's intention to strengthen its military presence in the Nordic region.
- Russian State Media Give More Details on 'Secret' Torpedo VOA 12 Nov 2015 -- The Kremlin has confirmed that two of Russia's main television channels broadcast details of a planned new nuclear torpedo, apparently accidentally, and said it hopes it will not happen again.
- Russian TV 'Mistakenly' Airs Plans For New Nuclear Weapon RFE/RL 12 Nov 2015 -- Last year, state TV told viewers that Russia was the only country capable of turning the United States into 'radioactive ash.' This week, two pro-Kremlin channels revealed how Moscow's military might go about doing it.
- TV Channels Accidentally Air Images of Russia's New Secret Weapon Sputnik 12 Nov 2015 -- Russia is apparently developing an underwater drone which will be able to inflict massive damage to coastal areas as part of a top secret project known as Ocean Multipurpose System: Status-6.
- Israel Receives More Than Half of US Global Military Aid VOA 12 Nov 2015 -- Israel is looking to boost the amount of money the U.S. State Department sends it every year for military aid to as much as $5 billion, a number that would give it not only the largest chunk of U.S. defense aid money, but also more than triple the amount any other country receives in total aid from the U.S.
- African Standby Force to be Operational by Early Next Year VOA 12 Nov 2015 -- Why does Africa need a standby, continental army that can parachute into hotspots at a moment's notice?
- Japan, Georgia Sign Memorandum of Understanding on Defense Cooperation Sputnik 12 Nov 2015 -- The heads of the defense ministries of Japan and Georgia signed Thursday a Memorandum of Understanding to develop military cooperation, Japanese media reported.
- Vietnam, Philippines to Sign Strategic Accord VOA 12 Nov 2015 -- The Philippines plans to sign a strategic partnership agreement with Vietnam, paving the way for the two countries to boost maritime security cooperation in the face of contentious territorial disputes with China in the South China Sea.
- Press Briefing by the Press Secretary joined by Ambassador Rice and Ben Rhodes, 11/12/15 The White House 12 Nov 2015
- 12 November 2015 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 12 Nov 2015
- Remarks on the U.S. Strategy in Syria US Dept. of State 12 Nov 2015 -- Remarks by John Kerry, US Secretary of State
- Kerry Cites Progress in Syria VOA 12 Nov 2015 -- Secretary of State John Kerry says the U.S.-led coalition will be doing more in the coming weeks to degrade the Islamic State's ability to produce and sell oil and gas, which helps fund the terrorist group's military operations.
- Terrorist groups using CWAs in Mideast states: Russia Press TV 12 Nov 2015 -- Russia says it has learnt that Daesh and other Takfiri terrorist groups frequently use chemical warfare agents (CWAs) in Syria and Iraq, where they have swathes of land under control.
- Syria retakes key town near Aleppo from Takfiris: Military sources Press TV 12 Nov 2015 -- Military sources say Syrian armed forces have retaken control of al-Hader, a strategic town located south of the city of Aleppo, from Takfiri militants, as army units continue to gain more ground in their battles against terror groups.
- Russian Peace Plan For Syria Dismissed By West, Gulf States RFE/RL 12 Nov 2015 -- Western and Gulf Arab nations have dismissed a Russian plan for peace and reform in Syria and said it will not form the basis for talks in Vienna this weekend.
- Kweiris Airbase is 'Biggest Achievement' of Syrian Army in Long Time Sputnik 12 Nov 2015 -- ISIL is quickly losing ground as a result of combined military operations carried out by Russia, the Syrian Army, as well as Iraqi and Hezbollah volunteer fighters, Aymenn Jawad al-Tamimi, a research fellow from the Middle East Forum, told Radio Sputnik.
- Syrian Army Set to Take Full Control of Another Strategic Airbase Sputnik 12 Nov 2015 -- The Syrian Army launched an operation to take back control over a second airbase after its victory in the battle against Islamic State (ISIL) militants in Aleppo. According to military sources, the second target is the Marj al-Sultan Airbase in Damascus.
- People, real issue in Syria talks: President Rouhani Press TV 12 Nov 2015 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani says the real question regarding the Syrian crisis is that of the Syrian people in general and not specific individuals.
- Iraqi Kurds Backed by US Warplanes Fight to Retake Sinjar VOA 12 Nov 2015 -- Kurdish fighters backed by U.S. airstrikes recaptured some areas around the northern Iraqi town of Sinjar from the Islamic State militant group after launching a new operation Thursday.
- Report: IS Committed Genocide Against Iraq's Yazidis VOA 12 Nov 2015 -- Islamic State militants committed genocide against Iraq's Yazidis in the north of the country and carried out crimes against humanity, ethnic cleansing, and war crimes against other minorities, the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum said Thursday.
- Iraq Kurds make gains against Daesh in Sinjar battle Press TV 12 Nov 2015 -- Iraqi Kurdish Peshmerga forces have managed to retake some positions from the Daesh Takfiri group in northwestern Iraq as a fresh offensive is under way for taking back the strategic town of Sinjar.
- 115 Daesh militants die as western Iraqi area liberated Press TV 12 Nov 2015 -- More than a hundred Takfiri Daesh militants have been killed as Iraqi government troops backed by volunteer forces launched an operation in the country's crisis-hit western province of Anbar, and established full control over an area there.
- Run, Surrender or Die: Kurds Boot Out ISIL From Northern Iraq Sputnik 12 Nov 2015 -- After a series of clashes, Kurdish militias began to push ISIL away from the Sinjar province of Northern Iraq, Peshmerga General Taib Abdullah Gurdy told Sputnik.
- In Iraq, UN reports close to 2,000 casualties in October from terrorism and conflict UN News 12 Nov 2015 -- Acts of terrorism, violence and armed conflict killed a total of 714 Iraqis and injured another 1,269 during the month of October, according to casualty figures released today by the United Nations Assistance Mission in Iraq (UNAMI).
- Kurds in Iraq Launch Offensive to Retake Sinjar VOA 12 Nov 2015 -- Thousands of Kurdish fighters launched an operation Thursday to recapture the northern Iraqi town of Sinjar from the Islamic State group.
- Flurry Of Claims Spells Trouble For What's Left Of Ukraine Cease-Fire Regime RFE/RL 12 Nov 2015 -- Far from international front pages, the situation in eastern Ukraine is once again on the verge of open warfare.
- Russia Sends 44th Humanitarian Aid Convoy to Donbass – Emergencies Ministry Sputnik 12 Nov 2015 -- A humanitarian aid convoy of the Russian Emergencies Ministry started off for Ukraine's crisis-hit southeast (Donbass) early on Thursday, a ministry spokesperson told RIA Novosti.
- DPR, Kiev Forces Submit Mortar Withdrawal Docs to OSCE SMM in Ukraine Sputnik 12 Nov 2015 -- The Ukrainian Armed Forces and the self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic (DPR) in the country's southeast have submitted documents verifying the completion of mortar withdrawal from the line of contact, the Special Monitoring Mission (SMM) of the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) deployed in Ukraine informs.
- Obama rejects Netanyahu's plea to recognize Israeli rule over occupied Golan Heights: White House Press TV 12 Nov 2015 -- US President Barack Obama has rejected Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's suggestion to discuss Washington's recognition of Israeli rule over the occupied Golan Heights, according to the white House.
- Top UN relief official in Libya welcomes release of aid workers held captive for months UN News 12 Nov 2015 -- Two Libyan humanitarian workers affiliated with aid agencies were released on 7 November after being held captive for five months, the United Nations Humanitarian Coordinator for the country, Ali Al-Za'tari, said today, welcoming their release.
- New allegations of sexual abuse resurface against 'blue helmets' in Central African Republic UN News 12 Nov 2015 -- After new reports of sexual exploitation and abuse surfaced against troops of the United Nations peacekeeping mission in the Central African Republic (CAR), the head of the operation, Parfait Onanga-Anyanga, strongly condemned the alleged incidents and announced that multifunction team would be dispatched to the location to gather the facts.
- Statement by NSC Spokesperson Ned Price on Today's Terrorist Attacks in Beirut, Lebanon The White House 12 Nov 2015
- Lebanon: top UN officials condemn attack in Beirut suburb, call for terrorists to be brought to justice UN News 12 Nov 2015 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and his Special Representative in Lebanon, Sigrid Kaag, have strongly condemned the terrorist attack today in the Beirut suburb of Burj al-Barajneh.
- Islamic State Claims Twin Suicide Blasts in Beirut VOA 12 Nov 2015 -- The Islamic State is claiming responsibility for twin suicide bombings in a Beirut suburb Thursday, killing at least 41 and wounding more than 200.
- Daesh bombings hit security post in Beirut suburb, 41 killed Press TV 12 Nov 2015 -- More than 40 people have reportedly been killed and dozens of others wounded after two large explosions claimed by the Daesh Takfiri militants rocked a security post in the Borj al-Barajaneh area in a southern suburb of Lebanon's capital, Beirut.
- At Least 37 Killed in Twin Suicide Blasts in Lebanese Capital VOA 12 Nov 2015 -- Lebanese officials said at least 37 people were killed and nearly 200 wounded in twin suicide blasts in a predominantly Shi'ite suburb in Lebanon's capital, Beirut.
- Iran to Refuse Nuclear Deal Fulfillment if US Imposes New Sanctions Sputnik 12 Nov 2015 -- Iran will not fulfill agreements reached with the six world powers on its nuclear program if the US Congress introduces new sanctions against Tehran.
- AU Body to Meet Friday Over Burundi Crisis VOA 12 Nov 2015 -- The Peace and Security Council of the African Union plans to meet Friday to review the latest reports on the situation in Burundi, following concerns that the escalating violence could plunge the country into chaos.
- Burundi: Security Council calls for political talks to resolve crisis peacefully UN News 12 Nov 2015 -- The United Nations Security Council today called on all parties in Burundi to engage in peace talks, warning of further action against those who incite more violence in the Central African country, where a recent upsurge has threatened hard-won stability after decades of ethnic strife and could lead to "potentially devastating consequences" for the entire region if it persists.
- UN Security Council Urges End to Violence in Burundi VOA 12 Nov 2015 -- The U.N. Security Council sent a united message to the fighting parties in Burundi on Thursday to stop the violence and resolve their issues at the negotiating table.
- UN Security Council to Adopt Resolution on Burundi Violence VOA 12 Nov 2015 -- The U.N. Security Council is expected to unanimously adopt a resolution Thursday calling for an end to violence in Burundi and threatening sanctions against anyone who stands in the way of the search for a peaceful solution.
- After elections, Ban says people and leaders of Myanmar 'have it within their power' to build better future UN News 12 Nov 2015 -- Welcoming this past weekend's elections as "a significant achievement in Myanmar's democratic transition," Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today extended warm congratulations to the National League for Democracy (NLD) and Daw Aung San Suu Kyi for their landmark performance at the polls and to the Union Solidarity and Development Party (USDP) for its dignified acceptance of the verdict of the people.
- Obama Congratulates Suu Kyi, Myanmar on 'Historic' Vote VOA 12 Nov 2015 -- U.S. President Barack Obama has congratulated Myanmar opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi for the success of her National League for Democracy (NLD) party which appears headed for a landslide victory in the country's elections.
- Erdogan Makes 'Friendly Warning' to Russia Amid Military Operation in Syria Sputnik 12 Nov 2015 -- The victory of the pro-presidential party in the parliamentary elections in Turkey inspired Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan to make sharp statements against Russia, the German newspaper Der Spiegel wrote.
- Obama Lifts US Sanctions on Liberia VOA 12 Nov 2015 -- President Barack Obama lifted U.S. sanctions on Liberia Thursday.
- Aide to N. Korea's Kim May Be Undergoing Re-education VOA 12 Nov 2015 -- A close aide of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un is rumored to have been purged and may be undergoing re-education as punishment, a source in Seoul said Thursday.
- Putin on Space Industry: Russian Rockets Must Be Reliable and Competitive Sputnik 12 Nov 2015 -- President Vladimir Putin on Thursday urged the development of Russia's satellite grouping and the strengthening of Russia's position on space launch market as immediate priorities for the country's space industry.
- Libyan authorities take into custody suspected UAE spy Press TV 12 Nov 2015 -- Authorities in Libya's capital city of Tripoli say they have arrested a police officer from the United Arab Emirates (UAE) on suspicion of serving as a spy.
- Germany spied on FBI, US arms companies: Report Press TV 12 Nov 2015 -- Germany's foreign intelligence service (BND) has been accused of spying on a long list of targets including friendly nations and agencies, including the FBI, US arms companies, and UN Children's Fund.
- Hollande Demands Germany Probe BND Spying on French FM Fabius Sputnik 12 Nov 2015 -- Francois Hollande demanded that Berlin hand over all information concerning claims that its intelligence agency had spied on the French top diplomat.
- Russian Policeman Found Guilty of Passing Russian State Secrets to CIA Sputnik 12 Nov 2015 -- The Moscow Regional Court has found a former Russian policeman guilty of espionage over selling Russian state secrets to the CIA, the Russian Federal Security Service (FSB) said Thursday.
- Russian Ex-policeman Convicted as CIA Spy VOA 12 Nov 2015 -- A court in Moscow has convicted a former policeman and sentenced him to 13 years in prison for passing state secrets to the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency.
- FSB Says Ex-Interior Ministry Employee Convicted As U.S. Spy RFE/RL 12 Nov 2015 -- Russia's Federal Security Service (FSB) says a Moscow Regional Court has convicted a former employee of Russia's Interior Ministry on charges of high treason as a spy for the United States.
- Iraq's killer weather IRIN 12 Nov 2015
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|