08 November 2015 Military News
- Military Strikes Hit ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 08 Nov 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- US could deploy more troops to Syria: Pentagon chief Press TV 08 Nov 2015 -- US Defense Secretary Ashton Carter has called on President Barack Obama to do more on Syria, saying the United States could send more troops to the Arab country.
- 80 killed in fighting between Taliban rival groups Press TV 08 Nov 2015 -- Around 80 militants have been killed and 30 others injured in fierce clashes between two rival Taliban groups in the troubled southern Afghanistan, security sources say.
- US drone strike leaves three dead in east Afghanistan Press TV 08 Nov 2015 -- At least three people have lost their lives in a US drone strike in Afghanistan's eastern province of Nangarhar, a local official says.
- Afghan Taliban Splinter Group's New Chief Backs Islamic State 'Brothers' - But Only Abroad RFE/RL 08 Nov 2015 -- The new leader of an Afghan Taliban splinter faction has offered words of support for Islamic State (IS) and Al-Qaeda militants, but says that they are not welcome to operate in Afghanistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus Names Virginia-Class Submarine NNS 08 Nov 2015 -- Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus announced that SSN 798, a Virginia-class attack submarine, will bear the name USS Massachusetts during a taped video message at Gillette Stadium.
- Britain lists Russia as major national security threat Press TV 09 Nov 2015 -- Britain has listed Russia as one of its top-tier potential security threats alongside global terrorism and the Ebola virus.
- 'UK letting down allies in Syria' Press TV 08 Nov 2015 -- Calls are growing among British politicians for the country to get involved in anti-ISIL air strikes in Syria. General Nicholas Houghton, the chief of Britain's defence staff, said on Sunday that the country was 'letting down' allies by not participating in air strikes against ISIL in Syria.
- British Navy Destroyer Arrives at Romanian Port for Black Sea Exercises Sputnik 08 Nov 2015 -- The HMS Admiral Duncan, a destroyer, arrived at the Black Sea port of Constanta on Sunday, in order to undertake military exercises with Romanian forces in the Black Sea.
- North Korean Military Commander Ri Ul Sol Dies Aged 94 Sputnik 08 Nov 2015 -- According to Japanese media report, North Korea's Marshal Ri Ul Sol of the Korean People's Army died Saturday of lung cancer.
- Russia Delivers 1,000 Chemical Protection Suits to Iraq Sputnik 08 Nov 2015 -- Iraqi Parliament Defense and Security Committee Chairman Haqim Zamli said that Iraq has a big contract with Russia in the sphere of military and technical cooperation, within a framework of this contract Baghdad received Sukhoi aircraft, tanks and other armaments including protection suits.
- Russia Negotiating With UAE Over Delivery of Su-35 Jets Sputnik 08 Nov 2015 -- Russia is negotiating with the United Arab Emirates (UAE) possible deliveries of Sukhoi Su-35 fighters, Russia's state technologies corporation Rostec head Sergey Chemezov said Sunday.
- Indonesia to Purchase Russian Su-35 Fighters, Construct Service Centers Sputnik 08 Nov 2015 -- Jakarta decided to purchase newest Russian Su-35 Fighters and discusses the construction of service centers in Indonesia, the head of the International Cooperation Department of Russian state technology corporation Rostec said Sunday.
- Yemen's Ansarullah fighters advance towards Aden Press TV 08 Nov 2015 -- Yemeni forces are advancing towards the southern port city of Aden under the control of forces loyal to fugitive former president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi.
- 'Saudi warship, boat attacked in Yemen coast' Press TV 08 Nov 2015 -- Yemeni military sources say forces with the country's army and Popular Committees have taken a Saudi warship and a Saudi boat under retaliatory rocket attacks in the southwestern Yemen coastline.
- Houthi Rebels Capture Town, Military Camp in Southwest Yemen Sputnik 08 Nov 2015 -- The Houthis and the army units supporting them established control over the town of Damt and a military camp Sadreen in Ad Dali governorate in Yemen, according to a military source.
- Allied Yemeni forces liberate district in Dali' Province Press TV 08 Nov 2015 -- Yemen's Houthi Ansarullah fighters, backed by allied army units, have liberated a district in the southwestern part of the war-stricken country.
- Israel declare military zone in West Bank city Press TV 08 Nov 2015 -- Israeli regime forces have declared several neighborhoods in the northern occupied West Bank city of Qalqiliya as military zones.
- Rwanda president warns of genocide in Burundi Press TV 08 Nov 2015 -- Rwandan President Paul Kagame has warned of a possible "genocide" in neighboring Burundi if the Central African country fails to stop ethnic violence.
- Syrian Migrant Situation Reminds Activists Of Croatian War Refugees RFE/RL 08 Nov 2015 -- Tens of thousands of Syrian refugees fleeing a devastating civil war at home have made their way through Serbia on their way to the haven of more prosperous Western European countries in the past several months.
- Colombian FARC Rebels Demand Parliament Seats to End Lengthy Armed Conflict Sputnik 08 Nov 2015 -- FARC demanded that they be given seats in the parliament before the group ends its longstanding opposition and concludes the peace process.
- Myanmar voters go to polls in historic elections People's Daily 09 Nov 2015 -- Millions voted Sunday in Myanmar's historic elections after a massive turnout that could catapult Aung San Suu Kyi's party into power and end decades of military rule.
- Vote Counting Underway in Myanmar VOA 08 Nov 2015 -- Vote counting is underway in Myanmar where turnout was more than 80 percent for the nation's first free general election in a quarter of a century.
- Ruling Party Faces Election Defeat in Myanmar Military Town VOA 08 Nov 2015 -- Myanmar's military-backed ruling party was facing a tough challenge as the country went to the polls Sunday, even in parts where it might have expected strong support.
- Noise In Last Second Of Doomed Russian Plane Recorder RFE/RL 08 Nov 2015 -- The head of an investigation committee says a noise can be heard in the last second of the cockpit voice recording from the Russian jet which crashed in Egypt's Sinai Peninsula one week ago.
- Russia Repatriates 11,000 Tourists From Egypt RFE/RL 08 Nov 2015 -- Russia flew home some 11,000 Russian tourists from Egypt on November 7 and an even larger number is expected to leave on November 8.
- Britain, Russia Fly Citizens Home from Egypt After Deadly Crash VOA 08 Nov 2015 -- European holidaymakers are leaving the Egyptian resort town of Sharm el-Sheikh by the thousands following an airline disaster that killed hundreds of Russian tourists at the end of October.
- Rouhani: Iran to modernize Arak nuclear reactor IRNA 08 Nov 2015 -- President Hassan Rouhani said Iran is going to modernize the reactor in Arak with more advanced equipment in the future.
- Carter's remarks show US destabilizing policies in Middle East: Iran ISNA 08 Nov 2015 -- Iran said recent remarks made by US Defense Secretary Ashton Carter show the United States' "destabilizing policies and measures" in the region.
- Iran to US defense chief: Mind your words Press TV 08 Nov 2015 -- Iran's defense minister has warned his American counterpart to mind his words, following accusations by the US official that the Islamic Republic is militarily active in certain countries in the Middle East.
- Iran's response to potential breach of JCPOA explicit: Official Press TV 08 Nov 2015 -- Tehran will give an explicit response to a potential violation of the nuclear agreement between Iran and the P5+1 group of countries, says a senior Iranian official.
- Iranian President Rohani Criticizes Hard-Line Media RFE/RL 08 Nov 2015 -- Iranian President Hassan Rohani has criticized the Islamic republic's hard-line media, suggesting some of these outlets are working as 'undercover police' amid a wave of recent arrests by the country's feared Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) that is aimed at cracking down on Western influence.
- Taiwan China Historic Talks Fuel Criticism at Home VOA 08 Nov 2015 -- A historic meeting between the leaders of Taiwan and China Saturday was rich in symbolism, but short on substance. Criticism of the trip and Taiwan President Ma Ying-jeou's performance at the meeting with China's president Xi Jinping is already building at home. And while the leaders of Taiwan and China say the meeting has nothing to do with the island's upcoming elections, it is already becoming a key topic on the campaign trail.
- Lebanon arrests three for spying for Israel Press TV 08 Nov 2015 -- Authorities in Lebanon have arrested three people for spying on Lebanon's military and security bodies and individuals for the Israeli regime.
- India ruling party loses major state election Press TV 08 Nov 2015 -- India's ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has conceded defeat after failing to win the majority of seats in a crucial election in the populous state of Bihar.
- Loss in India's Key State Poll A Setback for Modi VOA 08 Nov 2015 -- In India, Prime Minister Narendra Modi's ruling Hindu nationalist, Bharatiya Janata Party has suffered a crushing defeat in a key poll in Bihar, one of the country's largest and most underdeveloped states.
- Uganda Presidential Candidates Officially Begin Campaign Monday VOA 08 Nov 2015 -- Official campaigning for Uganda's presidential election begins Monday, as candidates including incumbent President Yoweri Museveni, former Prime Minister Patrick Amama Mbabazi and main opposition leader Dr. Kizza Besigye complete establishing their campaign teams.
- Netanyahu to Seek More US Aid at White House Talks VOA 08 Nov 2015 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is on his way to Washington for talks Monday at the White House with U.S. President Barack Obama, in their first meeting since world powers and Iran reached a nuclear agreement strongly opposed by Israel.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|