06 November 2015 Military News
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 06 Nov 2015 [PDF]
- Military Strikes Hit ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 06 Nov 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- U.S. Central Command: Anti-ISIL Coalition Making Progress in Syria, Iraq AFPS 06 Nov 2015 -- The coalition fighting the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant is making progress in Syria and Iraq, although challenges remain, a U.S. Central Command spokesman said today.
- 32 Takfiri Daesh terrorists slain in eastern Afghanistan Press TV 06 Nov 2015 -- Afghan officials say more than 30 members of the Daesh Takfiri militant group have been killed in a mop-up operation by Afghan security forces against the extremists in the country's eastern province of Nangarhar.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Republicans Warn Obama Not to Close Guantanamo on His Own VOA 06 Nov 2015 -- President Barack Obama may be finalizing plans to close down the U.S. detention facility at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
- Carter Discusses Military Rebalance to Asia-Pacific AFPS 06 Nov 2015 -- The Asia-Pacific will be the economic driver for the world in the years to come, and that is why rebalancing the U.S. military to the region makes such sense, Defense Secretary Ash Carter said today at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam in Hawaii.
- NAVSUP FLC Jacksonville Provides Logistical Support to Visiting Chinese Warships NNS 06 Nov 2015 -- Naval Supply Systems Command (NAVSUP) Fleet Logistics Center (FLC) Jacksonville supports historic visit of Chinese Warships to Naval Station (NAVSTA) Mayport, Florida.
- Holloman F-16s first in AF for aircraft purification AFNS 06 Nov 2015 -- The F-16 Fighting Falcons at Holloman Air Force Base became the first F-16s in the Air Force to go through the aircraft purification process Nov. 3.
- UK rescue squadrons to relocate to Italy AFNS 06 Nov 2015 -- The 56th and 57th Rescue squadrons from Royal Air Force Lakenheath, United Kingdom, are relocating to Aviano Air Base, Italy, starting in fiscal year 2017, Air Force leaders announced Nov. 6.
- Remarks by Secretary Carter at a Troop Event at Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii DoD 06 Nov 2015 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter
- CYBERSAFE Team Conducts Initial Pilot at SPAWAR NNS 06 Nov 2015 -- A multi-disciplined Navy audit team conducted a CYBERSAFE initial pilot at the Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command (SPAWAR) during the week of Nov. 2-6.
- First Italian F-35 mission highlights partnerships AFNS 06 Nov 2015 -- Two Italian pilots completed their initial F-35 Lightning II training flights Nov. 5 at Luke Air Force Base, marking the first F-35 flights under control of Italian pilots.
- 13th MEU raids enemy compound during COMPTUEX USMC News 06 Nov 2015 -- U.S. Marines and Sailors with the Boxer Amphibious Ready Group/ 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit conducted a long range raid to make the area safe for the insertion of a Humanitarian Assistance Survey Team as part of Composite Training Unit Exercise, Oct. 26, 2015.
- SECDEF Visits USS Theodore Roosevelt NNS 06 Nov 2015 -- Secretary of Defense Ash Carter visited the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71), Nov. 5, and met with Sailors and Marines to thank them for their service following more than 8 months at sea.
- SECNAV Visits Marines in Tajikistan NNS 06 Nov 2015 -- Secretary of the Navy (SECNAV) Ray Mabus met with Marines serving in the Central Asian nation of Tajikistan Nov. 6.
- U.S., Brunei Conduct Closing Ceremony For Historic CARAT NNS 06 Nov 2015 -- A closing ceremony for the 21st annual Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training (CARAT) Brunei exercise was held at Maura Naval Base, Nov. 6.
- Germantown Returns to Sasebo NNS 06 Nov 2015 -- The amphibious dock landing ship USS Germantown (LSD 42) returned to its forward-deployed homeport, Nov. 4, after completing a four-month patrol.
- Global Strike Airmen support largest NATO exercise in 20 years AFNS 06 Nov 2015 -- Two B-52 Stratofortress aircrews assigned to Air Force Global Strike Command conducted a long-range bomber mission to the U.S. European Command area of operations Nov. 3-4 as part of Trident Juncture 2015 -- the largest NATO exercise in the past 20 years.
- Special Ops Forces undergo rigorous training at NATO's Trident Juncture 15 NATO 06 Nov 2015 -- Often working out of sight, Allied special operations forces play a key role in any military operation. That is why they have been training alongside their land, sea and air counterparts in Trident Juncture 2015, NATO's largest military exercise in more than a decade. The rigorous and diverse training, taking place in Italy, Spain and Portugal, has helped to hone the skills and readiness of special forces from nine Allies and one partner nation to perform all possible tasked missions as part of the NATO Response Force.
- Opening remarks by NATO Deputy Secretary General Ambassador Alexander Vershbow at the Warsaw Security Forum 2015 NATO 06 Nov 2015 -- It is a pleasure to be here in Warsaw, just over half a year before our next NATO Summit in this great city. Our leaders will come together at a time of great uncertainty and great change to review the progress we have made in the two years since our Wales Summit, and to chart a course for the future.
- NATO Chief Says West Must Counter Russian Military Buildup RFE/RL 06 Nov 2015 -- NATO chief Jens Stoltenberg says that the alliance must counter a Russian military buildup from the Baltic to the eastern Mediterranean that could enable Moscow to control key areas in a crisis.
- Defence Secretary discusses security threats with Egyptian President UK MOD 06 Nov 2015 -- The Defence Secretary has met with President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi to discuss collaborating together to tackle common security threats.
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 11/6/2015 The White House 06 Nov 2015
- November 6, 2015 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 06 Nov 2015
- DoD News: Contracts for November 06, 2015
- Boeing, Lockheed Martin Protest Air Force Bomber Contract Award Boeing 06 Nov 2015 -- Boeing and Lockheed Martin filed a formal protest today asking the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) to review the decision to award the Long Range Strike-Bomber (LRS-B) contract to Northrop Grumman.
- 6 November 2015 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 06 Nov 2015
- U.S. warships' activities in South China Sea detrimental to mutual trust: Chinese FM People's Daily 06 Nov 2015 -- China's Foreign Minister Wang Yi said Friday that the activities of U.S. warships in South China Sea are detrimental to China-U.S. mutual trust and have provoked regional tension.
- Russia urges Iran presence in next round of Vienna talks on Syria ISNA 06 Nov 2015 -- Russia emphasized the need for the participation of Iran in the next round of the international peace talks in Vienna, Austria, which are aimed at finding a solution to the deadly crisis gripping Syria.
- Bomb attack kills 7 volunteer Iraqi fighters, injures 20 others Press TV 06 Nov 2015 -- At least seven Iraqi fighters from the pro-government Popular Mobilization Units have lost their lives when unidentified terrorists launched a surprise attack against their contingent in the country's northern province of Tikrit.
- Lavrov Says Ukraine's Minsk Deadlines Should Be Extended Into 2016 RFE/RL 06 Nov 2015 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov says it is clear that deadlines on political reforms in Ukraine under the Minsk agreements need to be extended into 2016.
- Russia To Suspend Flights To Egypt Following Sinai Plane Crash RFE/RL 06 Nov 2015 -- Russia has suspend?d passenger flights to Egypt in the wake of the plane crash last week that killed 224 people, mostly Russian citizens.
- Putin Halts Russian Flights to Egypt VOA 06 Nov 2015 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin suspended all of his country's commercial flights to Egypt Friday as new evidence emerged suggesting that a bomb could have brought down the Russian jetliner that crashed into the Sinai Peninsula last weekend, killing all 224 people aboard.
- Protests Ahead of China, Taiwan Leaders' Talks VOA 06 Nov 2015 -- The leaders of Taiwan and China will hold face-to-face talks for the first time in more than 60 years Saturday in Singapore.
- Burundi: amid rising violence, top UN officials call for end to killings, start of inclusive national dialogue UN News 06 Nov 2015 -- Alarmed that bodies of dead civilians are turning up on a "regular" basis in the Burundian capital, Bujumbura, and in the wake of the killing of the son of a prominent human rights defender, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and UN human rights chief Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein today called for an end to the killings and widespread impunity that has characterized the recent violence.
- Burundians Flee Homes Ahead of Deadline to Surrender Guns VOA 06 Nov 2015 -- Hundreds of people in Burundi's capital fled their homes Friday, one day ahead of a government deadline to turn in their firearms.
- Iraq: amid fears cholera outbreak may worsen, UN agencies step up support to government-led response UN News 06 Nov 2015 -- With the cholera spreading further in Iraq, the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF), which is providing assistance Iraqi health authorities, has today urged accelerated action to shield communities and families from the outbreak, which has already infected more than 2,000 people across the country.
- Ayatollah Sistani stresses unimpeded implementation of Iraq premier's reforms Press TV 06 Nov 2015 -- Iraq's senior Shia cleric Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani has called for the unimpeded implementation of Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi's reforms aimed at combating corruption and cutting government cuts in the Arab country.
- Campaigning Ends Ahead of Myanmar's Historic Election VOA 06 Nov 2015 -- Myanmar's president has vowed to cooperate with opposition parties for a stable transition should Sunday's election knock him out of power.
- 36 Years of Cameroon's Biya Will Be Enough, Activists Say VOA 06 Nov 2015 -- Celebrations were held across Cameroon on Friday, commemorating President Paul Biya's 33 years in power. Opposition parties are calling on Biya to consider stepping down when his current term ends in 2018. But there are no signs the 82-year-old president will.
- Why is Russia Interested in Undersea Internet Cables? VOA 06 Nov 2015 -- It seems like something more fitting of a Cold War-era James Bond movie script than present-day reality: unnamed Pentagon officials circulating reports that Russian naval vessels and submarines are lurking around undersea cables that link the U.S. to Europe and Asia.
- Xi hails China-Vietnam friendship, calling for proper handling of differences People's Daily 06 Nov 2015 -- The China-Vietnam relations have strategic importance and both countries are capable of dispelling disruptions in bilateral ties, Chinese President Xi Jinping said here Friday.
- Bolivia MPs approve referendum for potential 4th term by Morales Press TV 06 Nov 2015 -- Bolivian lawmakers approve holding a referendum in February on a piece of constitutional reform that would allow President Evo Morales to run for another term.
- Ukraine, Baltic Leaders Slam Russian-German Pipeline Plan RFE/RL 06 Nov 2015 -- Ukrainian and the Baltic leaders have criticized a planned second Nord Stream pipeline to funnel natural gas from Russia to Germany under the Baltic Sea.
- N. Korea Raises 'Comfort Women' Issue VOA 06 Nov 2015 -- North Korea has urged Japan to address North Korean "comfort women" in its efforts to resolve disputes over the issue with neighboring South Korea.
- UN rights expert urges 'broad reform' of oppressive media governance in Belarus UN News 06 Nov 2015 -- In a report to the General Assembly, the United Nations Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in Belarus called on the country to start reforming its laws and practices that have for two decades stifled its citizens' right to freedom of expression.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|