27 October 2015 Military News
- Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL Terrorists in Iraq, Syria AFPS 27 Oct 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Carter Outlines Strategy to Counter ISIL at Senate Armed Services Hearing AFPS 27 Oct 2015 -- The U.S. military remains determined to defeat Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant extremist forces and effectively adapts its campaign as conditions evolve in Iraq and Syria, Defense Secretary Ash Carter told the Senate Armed Forces Committee today.
- Dunford Tells Senate Now is Time to Reinforce Iraqi Success Against ISIL AFPS 27 Oct 2015 -- Following operations around Beiji and Ramadi, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said there is an opportunity to reinforce Iraqi success in the days ahead.
- Pentagon chief says more raids key to new Iraq, Syria strategy Press TV 27 Oct 2015 -- US Defense Secretary Ashton Carter described elements of a revamped campaign strategy in Iraq and Syria, saying more raids will be at the center of the fight against the Daesh (ISIL) terrorist group.
- U.S. To Increase Air Campaign In Syria As Russian Strikes Continue RFE/RL 27 Oct 2015 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter has said the United States will be stepping up its air campaign in Syria in the coming weeks, amid what appeared to be a four-day lull in air strikes by the U.S.-led coalition.
- Obama weighs moving ground troops closer to battle in Syria: Report Press TV 27 Oct 2015 -- Senior national security advisers to US President Barack Obama have recommended measures that would put a number of Special Operations forces on the ground in Syria and expand military involvement in Iraq.
- US mulls over deeper involvement in Iraq: Report Press TV 27 Oct 2015 -- The Pentagon is contemplating a number of options to boost the military campaign against the Daesh (ISIL) terrorists in Iraq and Syria, according to a report.
- Civil engineer teams sustain Bagram runway, ensure combat airpower AFNS 27 Oct 2015 -- With combat airpower operations coming and going from Bagram Airfield nearly every three minutes, taking care of the flightline is a vital operation.
- UK supports Afghanistan with continued military presence UK MOD 27 Oct 2015 -- The Defence Secretary has announced that the UK will maintain its military presence in Afghanistan, underlining its support to the country.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Air Force awards LRS-B contract AFNS 27 Oct 2015 -- The Air Force announced today the contract award of Engineering and Manufacturing Development (EMD) and early production for the Long Range Strike Bomber to Northrop Grumman Corporation.
- Air Force Awards Contract for Long Range Strike Bomber AFPS 27 Oct 2015 -- The Air Force announced today the contract award of engineering and manufacturing development and early production for the Long Range Strike Bomber, or LRS-B, to Northrop Grumman Corp.
- Department of Defense Press Briefing on the Announcement of the Long Range Strike Bomber Contract Award DoD 27 Oct 2015
- Maritime Theater Missile Defense Forum Completes At Sea Demonstration NNS 27 Oct 2015 -- The Maritime Theater Missile Defense (MTMD) Forum wrapped up its At Sea Demonstration (ASD) 2015 event, Oct. 27, culminating nearly four years of planning and three weeks of at sea operations in the North Atlantic.
- Navy's First Hybrid Ship Celebrates Commissioning Anniversary NNS 27 Oct 2015 -- The amphibious assault ship USS Makin Island (LHD 8) celebrated her sixth commissioning anniversary, Oct. 24.
- Joint Forces Participate in KOA MOANA 15-3 NNS 27 Oct 2015 -- Military Sealift Command (MSC) dry cargo and ammunition ship USNS Lewis and Clark (T-AKE 1) is currently operating off the coast of Tarawa, Republic of Kiribati, as part of her continuing participation in Exercise KOA MOANA 15-3 (KM 15-3).
- USNS Tippecanoe Conducts Fueling At-Sea with Commercial Tanker NNS 27 Oct 2015 -- Military Sealift Command (MSC) fleet replenishment oiler USNS Tippecanoe (T-AO-99) completed a fueling evolution at-sea with the U.S. flagged tanker Maersk Peary in international waters off the coast of Sasebo, Japan, Oct. 22.
- U.S., Israel Seek to Boost Defense Ties, Carter Says AFPS 27 Oct 2015 -- The United States is seeking to bolster its strong defense ties with Israel amid many security challenges Israel faces in the Middle East, Defense Secretary Ash Carter said today.
- Readout of Secretary Carter's Meeting with Israeli Minister of Defense Ya'alon DoD 27 Oct 2015
- Remarks by Secretary Carter and Minister Ya'alon to a class of U.S. and international students at National Defense University, Washington, D.C. DoD 27 Oct 2015 -- Secretary of Defense Ash Carter and Israeli Minister of Defense Moshe Ya'alon
- October 27, 2015 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 27 Oct 2015
- Press Gaggle by Principal Deputy Press Secretary Eric Schultz en route Chicago, IL, 10/27/2015 The White House 27 Oct 2015
- 27 October 2015 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 27 Oct 2015
- China summons US ambassador over vessel patrol in South China Sea Press TV 27 Oct 2015 -- China has summoned the United States ambassador to protest against a US ship patrol near a group of man-made islands in the South China Sea.
- US sends warship close to Chinese islands in South China Sea: Official Press TV 27 Oct 2015 -- The United States has sent a warship very close to one of China's artificial islands in the South China Sea, a move apparently designed to increase tensions with Beijing.
- Despite raging conflict, scores of refugees continue to arrive in Yemen by sea - UN UN News 27 Oct 2015 -- The ongoing conflict and the widening humanitarian crisis in Yemen has not deterred nearly 70,000 refugees, asylum-seekers and migrants to reach the country by sea causing the Yemini population to 'bear the brunt,' said the United Nations refugee agency today.
- Yemen: Ban calls for all warring parties to halt operations after Saudi-led airstrikes destroy hospital UN News 27 Oct 2015 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today condemned airstrikes by the Saudi-led coalition that hit the Hayadeen Medical Hospital in the Sa'dah governorate, which is run by Médecins Sans Frontières with support from the UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) and the World Health Organization (WHO).
- Saudi Arabia hits hospital run by Doctors without Borders in Yemen Press TV 27 Oct 2015 -- Doctors without Borders (MSF) says a hospital run by the international medical group in Yemen has been hit by Saudi airstrikes.
- Turkey, Qatar, UAE planes fly Daesh out of Syria to Yemen: Damascus Press TV 27 Oct 2015 -- Turkish, Qatari and Emirati airplanes have transferred hundreds of Daesh Takfiri militants from Syria to Yemen following Russian airstrikes on the terrorists' positions, the spokesman for the Syrian Armed Forces says.
- Russia Says Soldier In Syria Killed Self; Family Has Doubts RFE/RL 27 Oct 2015 -- The Russian Defense Ministry said a soldier committed suicide in Syria, in what was the first confirmed death of Russian military personnel since Moscow began large-scale deployment there last month.
- Counting under fire: the untold story of Syria's casualty data IRIN 27 Oct 2015 -- Counting the dead in a warzone as complex as Syria is so challenging that the UN abandoned the task in early 2014, saying it could no longer stand by the accuracy of its source material.
- US lacks understanding of Syria terrorists: Russian FM Press TV 27 Oct 2015 -- The so-called US-led coalition has no idea of whom it is backing in Syria, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov says.
- Russia slams 'outrageous' claims on Syria airstrikes Press TV 27 Oct 2015 -- Russia has slammed "outrageous" claims by the West that the Russian military is bombing civilian targets in Syria, calling on the military attaches of the United States and other NATO member states in Moscow to explain the allegations.
- Syrians living 'tragedy and despair barely imaginable five years ago,' says top UN relief official UN News 27 Oct 2015 -- The most senior United Nations humanitarian official today stressed that the failure of parties to the conflict in Syria to uphold the basic tenets of international law has propelled the Syrian people to levels of tragedy and despair which could barely have been imagined five years ago.
- Bomb explosions kill four in Iraq Press TV 27 Oct 2015 -- Bomb blasts have taken four more lives in Iraq while a mortar attack on a police training facility also injured two officers.
- Cholera spreading in Iraq, suspected case reported in Syria - UN health agency UN News 27 Oct 2015 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) announced today that it would start vaccine treatments for cholera beginning this weekend to prevent further outbreaks in Iraq, where the disease has now been confirmed in 15 out of 18 governorates, while the agency also reported a suspected case was also found in northern Syria.
- ELN rebels ambush Colombian forces, kill 12 Press TV 27 Oct 2015 -- Members of the second-largest rebel group in Colombia, the National Liberation Army (ELN), have reportedly ambushed a group of security forces transporting the ballots cast in the country's regional polls, killing 12 people.
- Afghan conflict and upcoming winter complicate earthquake relief IRIN 27 Oct 2015 -- Several districts near the epicentre of a 7.5-magnitude earthquake in Afghanistan are contested by government forces and Taliban insurgents, complicating relief to some of those affected by Monday's quake.
- Death Count Climbs As Rescuers Reach Quake-Hit Regions Of Afghanistan, Pakistan RFE/RL 27 Oct 2015 -- Rescue operations have begun to reveal the full scale of an Afghan earthquake that killed hundreds and caused damage across South Asia.
- UN ramps up to assist those in Afghanistan and Pakistan affected by massive earthquake UN News 27 Oct 2015 -- Hundreds of people have been killed and thousands of homes in Afghanistan and Pakistan were destroyed by the massive 7.5 magnitude earthquake that struck the Badakshan Province in Afghanistan yesterday, according to the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).
- U.S. Court Rejects Bid For New Trial By Russian 'Lord Of War' RFE/RL 27 Oct 2015 -- A U.S. judge said convicted Russian arms trafficker Viktor Bout, who is serving a 25-year prison sentence, does not deserve a new trial on the basis of newly discovered evidence.
- Iran expects sanctions scrapped by year end: Rouhani ISNA 27 Oct 2015 -- Iran's President Hassan Rouhani says sanctions against the Islamic Republic are planned to be lifted by the end of 2015 as the country's historic nuclear agreement with world powers is close to taking effect.
- Russian Finance Minister Says Reserve Funds Running Out RFE/RL 27 Oct 2015 -- Russian Finance Minister Anton Siluanov says the country's Reserve Fund could be exhausted by the end of 2016 if world energy prices remain at current levels.
- Russia to send humans to Moon in 2029 Press TV 27 Oct 2015 -- Russia intends to launch a manned lunar mission after it successfully landed the first man-made object on the moon in the late 50's.
- Exit Polls Show Ukraine Divided For, Against Poroshenko Rule RFE/RL 27 Oct 2015 -- Four exit polls from Ukraine's local elections released on October 26 indicated the government of President Petro Poroshenko would retain its dominant position in the west and center of the country.
- U.S. Workers Convicted In Plot To Sell Electronics To Russia RFE/RL 27 Oct 2015 -- A U.S. federal court has convicted three people for their role in a scheme to smuggle sophisticated microelectronics to Moscow for use by Russian military and intelligence agencies.
- UN General Assembly renews long-standing call for end to US embargo against Cuba UN News 27 Oct 2015 -- In a near unanimous vote, the 193-member United Nations General Assembly today adopted a resolution renewing its call for an end to the economic, commercial and financial blockade imposed by the United States against Cuba, while also acknowledging the restoration, after nearly 50 years, of diplomatic relations between the two countries.
- Spain premier says Madrid to use 'all means' to block Catalan independence bid Press TV 27 Oct 2015 -- Spain's Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy has pledged that the government in Madrid will make use of all means possible to prevent an independence bid by Catalonia.
- Ban welcomes African Union decision on addressing political and security crisis in Burundi UN News 27 Oct 2015 -- In a phone call today, United Nations Secretary-general Ban Ki-moon and Nkosazana Dlamini Zuma, Chairperson of the African Union (AU) Commission, discussed the situation in Burundi, with Mr. Ban welcoming recent decision by the AU Peace and Security Council on addressing the country's political impasse.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|