25 October 2015 Military News
- Airstrikes Target ISIL Terrorists in Iraq AFPS 25 Oct 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Britain's Blair Apologizes for 'Mistakes' in 2003 Iraq Invasion VOA 25 Oct 2015 -- Former British Prime MInister Tony Blair apologized for what he calls 'mistakes' made during the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq.
- Blair says "sorry" for Iraq war, finally Press TV 25 Oct 2015 -- Former British Prime Minister Tony Blair has apologized for taking Britain to the 2003 war in Iraq.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Gen. Milley says US cannot allow a 'hollow Army' Press TV 25 Oct 2015 -- The new chief of the US Army, General Mark Milley, says combat readiness is his No.1 priority and that the United States cannot allow "a hollow Army."
- Iran Navy fully capable of maintaining Caspian Sea security: Cmdr. ISNA 25 Oct 2015 -- Iran's Navy has the full capability of maintaining security in the Caspian Sea and keeping vessels from countries other than neighboring states out of the region, said a senior commander.
- Yemen army destroys Saudi warship near Ta'izz Press TV 25 Oct 2015 -- The Yemen army, backed by Popular Committees loyal to the Houthi Ansarullah movement, has destroyed a Saudi warship in the waters close to the southwestern province of Ta'izz.
- Yemeni army shoots down Saudi drone in Ta'izz Press TV 25 Oct 2015 -- The photo shows the wreckage of a Saudi surveillance drone that was shot down by the Yemeni forces in the southeastern province of Dhamar, July 6, 2015.
- IRGC to raise number of military advisors in Syria IRNA 25 Oct 2015 -- Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) is to increase the number of military advisors as per request from the Syrian government, an IRGC official said on Sunday.
- 'FSA' says ready to hold talks with Russia over Syrian crisis in Cairo Press TV 25 Oct 2015 -- The so-called Free Syrian Army (FSA) militant group, which is operating against the Syrian government, has expressed readiness to hold talks with Russia on the crisis in Syria in the Egyptian capital, Cairo.
- Syria's president ready to take part in new election: Russian MP Press TV 25 Oct 2015 -- A Russian legislator says Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has expressed preparedness to run for another seven-year term in office in the future presidential election should the Arab nation support such a move.
- Assad: Ridding Syria of Terrorists Would Lead to Political Solution VOA 25 Oct 2015 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad reiterated his focus on eliminating the threat of terrorists in his country, saying Sunday that would lead to the political solution that Syrians seek to the crisis they have endured for more than 4½ years.
- Syrian army kills al-Nusra Front leader in Aleppo IRNA 25 Oct 2015 -- The Syrian army killed the leader of the Al-Nusra Front terrorist group in the Aleppo countryside on Saturday.
- Russia strikes Daesh positions across Syria to contain terrorists IRNA 25 Oct 2015 -- The Russian precise airstrikes on Daesh (ISIL) positions in Syria are conducted simultaneously in various regions of Syria in order to contain terrorists, a senior Russian defense ministry official announced.
- Lavrov: Iran needed in int'l efforts to resolve Syrian crisis IRNA 25 Oct 2015 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov underlined Iran's role in the resolving the ongoing crisis in Syria, and said that the international efforts to resolve the Syrian crisis without Iran's presence will be futile.
- Iraqi F-16 jets bombard Daesh in Ramadi for first time Press TV 25 Oct 2015 -- Iraq's F-16 fighter jets have bombarded targets belonging to the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group in Ramadi for the first time.
- Hundreds of Syrian Kurds arrive in Iraq's Sinjar to fight Daesh: Report Press TV 25 Oct 2015 -- Hundreds of Syrian Kurdish fighters have entered the northwestern Iraqi town of Sinjar in a bid to participate in the fight against Daesh Takfiri terrorists, a report says.
- Iraqi Kurds raid Daesh-held prison in Kirkuk, free inmates Press TV 25 Oct 2015 -- Iraq's Kurdish fighters have attacked a prison run by the Daesh (ISIL) Takfiri terrorists in the northern province of Kirkuk, freeing as many as 70 prisoners.
- South Korea navy fires shots to send back North ship Press TV 25 Oct 2015 -- South Korea's navy has fired several warning shots to drive away a North Korean patrol boat that had crossed the disputed maritime border between the two neighbors.
- Urging swift probe into 'act of terror,' UN special envoy condemns attack against Palestinian politician UN News 25 Oct 2015 -- Condemning today's attack in Ramallah against a prominent Palestinian political figure, United Nations Special Coordinator for the Middle East Peace Process Nickolay Mladenov has called for a thorough investigation into the incident and has reiterated the call by top United Nations officials to reduce tensions in the region and avoid actions that would spark further violence.
- Netanyahu: Holy Site Surveillance Cameras in Israel's Best Interest VOA 25 Oct 2015 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Sunday that adding video surveillance to the sacred Jerusalem site known to Jews as the Temple Mount and Muslims as the Al-Aqsa Mosque is in Israel's best interest.
- Intelligence minister: JCPOA took Iranian nation's seized right IRNA 25 Oct 2015 -- Intelligence Minister Seyyed Mahmoud Alavi said that the country's negotiators in their negotiations with the big powers took back the right of the Iranian nation that had been seized from them.
- US sentence for Iranian completely unjust: Foreign Ministry Press TV 25 Oct 2015 -- Iran's Foreign Ministry has condemned as completely unjust a sentence issued against an Iranian national in the United States.
- Germany launches probe into new NSA spying allegations Press TV 25 Oct 2015 -- Germany has launched an investigation into a new case of alleged spying by the US National Security Agency, a report says .
- Polls Close In Ukraine Vote Seen As Test Of Poroshenko Government RFE/RL 25 Oct 2015 -- Polls have closed across Ukraine on a day when voters chose mayors and council representatives in local elections that were seen as a survival test for President Petro Poroshenko's fragile ruling coalition.
- Montenegrin Police Tear Gas Protest RFE/RL 25 Oct 2015 -- Police in Montenegro have fired teargas for a second successive weekend to break up a gathering of about 5,000 protesters who marched on the parliament to demand the resignation of veteran Prime Minister Milo Djukanovic and snap elections.
- Argentines Vote for President, Ending Fernandez-Kirchner Dynasty VOA 25 Oct 2015 -- Argentines are voting in elections to choose their next president, the successor to President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner, who dominated national politics for 12 years along with her late husband, Nestor Kirchner.
- Tanzania Selects New President VOA 25 Oct 2015 -- Tanzanians went to the polls Sunday to elect a new president and parliament in what was expected to be a tight race in the East African country.
- Congo Votes on President's Bid to Extend Rule VOA 25 Oct 2015 -- The Republic of Congo voted Sunday on constitutional changes that would allow President Denis Sassou Nguesso to seek another term.
- Ivory Coast Casts Votes for President VOA 25 Oct 2015 -- In Ivory Coast, more than six million voters are eligible to head to the polls Sunday for the first round of a presidential election. Seven candidates are running, including incumbent President Alassane Ouattara. The election is crucial for the country after previous post-election violence left several thousand people dead.
- Trump: World Better Off With Hussein, Gadhafi in Power VOA 25 Oct 2015 -- The world would be a better place if dictators such as Iraq's Saddam Hussein and Libya's Moammar Gadhafi were still in power, top Republican U.S. presidential hopeful Donald Trump said in comments aired Sunday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|