22 October 2015 Military News
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 22 Oct 2015 [PDF]
- Department of Defense Press Briefing by Press Secretary Cook in the Pentagon Briefing Room DoD 22 Oct 2015 -- Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook
- Strikes Hit ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 22 Oct 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Statement from Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook On Hostage Rescue Mission in Iraq DoD 22 Oct 2015 -- "Early today in Iraq, at the request of the Kurdistan Regional Government, U.S. Special Operations Forces supported an Iraqi Peshmerga operation to rescue hostages at an ISIL prison near Hawijah, Iraq."
- US service member killed in Iraq hostage rescue attempt Press TV 22 Oct 2015 -- One US special operations soldier has been killed in Iraq during a rescue operation to free hostages from the Daesh (ISIL) terrorist group, US military officials say.
- US, Iraqi Forces Rescue Hostages Facing 'Imminent Mass Execution' VOA 22 Oct 2015 -- A joint rescue mission by U.S. and Iraqi Kurdish fighters has freed about 70 hostages facing execution by Islamic State militants, but during a bloody battle in northern Iraq one American serviceman was fatally wounded – the first member of the U.S. military killed in the yearlong campaign against IS extremists.
- Satellite imagery reveals secret US drone base in Africa Press TV 22 Oct 2015 -- Satellite imagery has revealed the secret expansion of a US drone base in the African country of Djibouti, according to a new report.
- US Expands Targeted Killing Program in East Africa Sputnik 22 Oct 2015 -- The US has expanded its drone program with a new base south of Djibouti's capital which allows the program to operate nearly unchecked.
- Statement by NATO Secretary General following his call with Afghan President Ashraf Ghani NATO 22 Oct 2015
- Taliban militants kill district chief in eastern Afghanistan Press TV 22 Oct 2015 -- Afghan officials say members of the Taliban militant group have assassinated the governor of a district in Afghanistan's eastern province of Ghazni in an ambush attack.
Defense Policy / Programs
- 100th ARW refuels aircraft in huge multinational exercise AFNS 22 Oct 2015 -- Airmen with the 100th Air Refueling Wing began to refuel aircraft over the Atlantic Ocean and Mediterranean Sea as part of a multinational exercise Oct. 21.
- USS Emory S. Land Successfully Completes Fleet Maintenance Activity Assessment NNS 22 Oct 2015 -- The FMAA is a type command assessment that rates the ship's repair department production and maintenance capabilities as well as processes to validate repair and maintenance work performed on submarines is within Naval Sea Systems Command (NAVSEA) specifications. This is an important process to ensure Emory S. Land is ready to serve as a Fleet Maintenance Activity.
- Keel for Future USS Paul Ignatius (DDG 117) Authenticated NNS 22 Oct 2015 -- The keel of the future USS Paul Ignatius (DDG 117) was authenticated during a ceremony at the Huntington Ingalls Industries shipyard Oct. 20.
- Russian Army Preparing for Drills With India - Southern Military District Sputnik 22 Oct 2015 -- According to Russian Southern Military District press service, Russian mechanized infantry in the south of the country is finishing preparations for its Indra-2015 drills with military units from India.
- MOD publishes equipment plan update and welcomes independent report UK MOD 22 Oct 2015 -- The third annual update on the Defence Equipment Plan has been published.
- Iranian Navy fleet give berth at Astrakhan, Russia, amid welcome IRNA 22 Oct 2015 -- Iranian Navy fleet gave berth at Russian port of Astrakhan amid welcome by local officials of Astrakhan and the Russian Defense Ministry, IRNA reported on Thursday.
- Riga in Talks With London on British Troops Deployment to Latvia Sputnik 22 Oct 2015 -- London and Riga have begun consultations on the deployment of a British contingent to Latvia, the spokesman for the Baltic nation's armed forces, Raymond Graube, said Thursday.
- Russia's Neutral Neighbor Launches Program to Replace Aging Fighter Fleet Sputnik 22 Oct 2015 -- The Finnish government has given the go-ahead to the country's defense forces to procure advanced fighter jets in line with a special program.
- Chinese Navy Ships to Visit Mayport NNS 22 Oct 2015 -- Three People's Liberation Army-Navy ships are scheduled to visit Naval Station Mayport as part of a routine goodwill port visit, Nov. 3-7.
- China, India conclude anti-terrorism drill People's Daily 22 Oct 2015 -- China and India concluded a joint anti-terrorism training on Thursday in Kunming, capital of southwest China's Yunnan Province.
- October 22, 2015 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 22 Oct 2015
- Press Briefing by Principal Deputy Press Secretary Eric Schultz The White House 22 Oct 2015
- 22 October 2015 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 22 Oct 2015
- Russia FM stresses Iran role in efforts to resolve Syria crisis Press TV 22 Oct 2015 -- Russia has highlighted Iran's role in resolving the ongoing conflict in Syria, saying that the settlement of the crisis gripping the Arab country has "no prospect" without the Islamic Republic's participation.
- Syrian government troops advancing in Aleppo Press TV 22 Oct 2015 -- The Syrian army has managed to take more grounds from Takfiri terrorists in the northern part of the Arab country.
- Syria warns Qatar against military intervention Press TV 22 Oct 2015 -- Syria has warned Qatar of a "harsh response" after Doha threatened that it may intervene militarily in the Arab country.
- Russian-Speaking Militants Prepare To Fight Assad In Hama RFE/RL 22 Oct 2015 -- Two Russian-speaking militant groups, including a battalion within Al-Qaeda's Syrian affiliate the Al-Nusra Front, claim they are preparing to fight Syrian government forces in the central province of Hama.
- Deadly 'Russian Strike' Hits Syrian Hospital As Moscow Tries To Steer Talks RFE/RL 22 Oct 2015 -- The London-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) says a Russian air strike struck a field hospital in northwestern Syria this week, killing at least 13 people, although Moscow has denied responsibility for the attack.
- Russian Aviation Destroys 72 ISIL Targets in Syria Sputnik 22 Oct 2015 -- Terrorist targets have been destroyed in the Syrian provinces of Hama, Idlib, Latakia, Aleppo, Damascus, and Deir ez-Zor.
- Iraq cholera infections top 1,900: Health Ministry Press TV 22 Oct 2015 -- Iraqi medical authorities say the number of recorded cases of cholera in the war-ravaged Arab country now stands at more than 1,900, though the waterborne disease has claimed no new lives in days.
- Intelligence Data Exchange Underway at Baghdad Info Center - Iraqi Official Sputnik 22 Oct 2015 -- Shahwan Abdallah, the secretary of the Iraqi parliament's defense committee, said that only the department for collecting intelligence data related to the Islamic State (ISIL) jihadists movement, used for selecting targets for air strikes, is operating at the moment.
- Moscow dispatches humanitarian convoy to Ukraine's east Press TV 22 Oct 2015 -- Russia has sent a humanitarian aid convoy to the residents of Ukraine's crisis-hit east, where a relatively stable ceasefire is holding following months of fighting between Ukrainian troops and pro-Russia forces.
- Kiev Withdraws Weapons in Donetsk Region, to Complete Pullback in November Sputnik 22 Oct 2015 -- According to a military spokesman, Ukrainian military has pulled back weaponry with a caliber of over 100mm from the line of contact in two regions of the Donetsk People's Republic.
- Boko Haram Takfiri militants kill 20 in Nigeria Press TV 22 Oct 2015 -- Boko Haram Takfiri militants have reportedly killed at least 20 people outside a village in northeast Nigeria.
- In Jordan, Ban stresses responsibility of Arab leaders to ensure Middle East 'crisis doesn't get out control' UN News 22 Oct 2015 -- Continuing his visit to Middle Eastern countries to help ease current tensions between Israel and Palestine, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon met today with King Abdullah II of Jordan in Amman, and stressed the responsibility of Arab leaders "to encourage calm and to ensure that this crisis does not get out of control."
- South Sudan: UN calls for immediate access to conflict-affected areas to prevent 'catastrophe' UN News 22 Oct 2015 -- Three United Nations agencies today warned that extreme hunger is pushing people to the brink of a catastrophe in parts of South Sudan, as a new analysis found that 3.9 million people nationwide now face severe food insecurity.
- Kerry Optimistic About Israeli-Palestinian Violence Solution VOA 22 Oct 2015 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry voiced a 'cautious measure of optimism' that a solution can be found to defuse deadly Israeli-Palestinian violence.
- Russia Announces Military Plans for Disputed Kuril Islands VOA 22 Oct 2015 -- Russia's defense minister says Moscow plans to build a military base on the Kuril Islands, along with four Arctic bases that should be completed by 2018.
- Briefing by Foreign Ministry spokesperson Maria Zakharova, Moscow, October 22, 2015 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 22 Oct 2015
- Obama Calls for Closer Ties with Pakistan VOA 22 Oct 2015 -- U.S. President Barack Obama says he wants to deepen ties with Pakistan during a meeting Thursday with Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif at the White House.
- Pakistan Expected To Reject White House Call For Nuclear Curbs RFE/RL 22 Oct 2015 -- Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif is expected to strongly resist any limits on Pakistan's use of small tactical nuclear weapons at a meeting with U.S. President Barack Obama.
- President Rouhani thanks Supreme Leader for acknowledging JCPOA IRNA 22 Oct 2015 -- President Hassan Rouhani on Thursday thanked the Supreme Leader for acknowledging the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
- Leader's directives on JCPOA to be fully observed: Rouhani Press TV 22 Oct 2015 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani says directives issued by Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei on the implementation of the agreement reached by Iran and the P5+1 group over Tehran's nuclear program will be fully observed.
- Clinton Testifies Before Benghazi Investigation RFE/RL 22 Oct 2015 -- Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton defended her decision-making during the 2012 attack on the U.S. diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya, also telling Congressional investigators that neither Washington nor U.S. military officials denied requests for support from personnel there.
- WikiLeaks Posts CIA Director's Personal Info VOA 22 Oct 2015 -- Information from the private email account of CIA Director John Brennan is being made public, just days after hackers bragged they had broken in.
- No hard landing for Chinese economy despite downward pressure: Xi People's Daily 22 Oct 2015 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping said here Wednesday that his country's economy will keep operating within 'a proper range' and there will be no 'hard landing.'
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|