16 October 2015 Military News
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 16 Oct 2015 [PDF]
- Military Airstrikes Target ISIL Terrorists, Revenue Sources AFPS 16 Oct 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Taliban Calls Slowing of US Troop Withdrawal 'Illogical' VOA 16 Oct 2015 -- The Taliban have vowed to intensify attacks on American targets, denouncing as "illogical" the U.S. decision to slow down troop withdrawal from Afghanistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Navy Accepts Delivery of Future USS Milwaukee (LCS 5) NNS 16 Oct 2015 -- The U.S. Navy accepted delivery of the future USS Milwaukee (LCS 5) during a ceremony at the Marinette Marine Corporation shipyard Oct. 16.
- Truman Completes Reactor Safeguard Examination NNS 16 Oct 2015 -- Aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman's (CVN 75) Reactor department underwent an Operational Reactor Safeguard Examination (ORSE), Oct. 5-8.
- U.S. and ROK Submarine Forces Bolster Alliance NNS 16 Oct 2015 -- Commander, Submarine Group (COMSUBGRU) 7 conducted bilateral talks with the Republic of Korea Navy (ROKN) Oct. 12-13 at Jinhae, Korea.
- 'Lockheed Martin, US Air Force in deal for new C-130s' Press TV 16 Oct 2015 -- The Lockheed Martin Corp. has announced a 'verbal agreement' with the US Air Force to build a new fleet of C-130J Super Hercules aircraft.
- NATO Chief Urges Montenegro to Build Public Support for Membership Sputnik 16 Oct 2015 -- Montenegro is moving closer to becoming a NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization) member, but more reforms and public support are needed, NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said.
- Third Russian Stealth Sub Arrives at Northern Fleet for Weapons Testing Sputnik 16 Oct 2015 -- Russia's diesel-powered stealth submarine has arrived at the Northern Fleet to test equipment and weaponry, the Northern Fleet's press service said Friday.
- Russian Navy Can Attack ISIL Positions in Syria at Any Moment Sputnik 16 Oct 2015 -- The Russian warships operating in the Mediterranean can be used in the fight against ISIL in Syria, the Russian General Staff said Friday.
- Russia, allies agree to form joint task force to defend borders Press TV 16 Oct 2015 -- Russia and a number of ex-Soviet countries in Central Asia agree to form a joint task force to defend their borders at the times of crisis.
- Putin Says CIS States Could Create Border Force For Crises RFE/RL 16 Oct 2015 -- Amid rising insecurity in northern Afghanistan, Russian President Vladimir Putin said that countries in the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) could create a joint task force to protect the grouping's external borders.
- New Details About China's Space Weapons Aimed at Thwarting US Military Sputnik 16 Oct 2015 -- New details about China's space-weapons program have been released ahead of a congressional annual report outlining Beijing's plans to destroy or jam US satellites and limit American combat operations.
- Maintenance of Bulgarian MiG-29 Jets in Poland Illegitimate Sputnik 16 Oct 2015 -- If Poland and Bulgaria sign a MiG-29 servicing deal, the Russian will cease current maintenance activities on Bulgarian fighters, according to Russian Aircraft Corporation MiG.
- US to Seek Action Against Iran for Forbidden Ballistic Missile Launch VOA 16 Oct 2015 -- The United States will seek "appropriate action" in the U.N. Security Council "in the coming days" against Iran for its launching of a ballistic missile earlier this week.
- India's Subsonic Cruise Missile Deviates From Path During Test Launch Sputnik 16 Oct 2015 -- The launch of the subsonic missile Nirbhay in India had to be terminated half way through the test after it failed to stick to the designated trajectory, according to local media.
- White House To Raise Nuclear Concerns At Sharif Meeting Next Week RFE/RL 16 Oct 2015 -- The United States will discuss concerns about the security of Pakistan's nuclear arsenal during a visit to Washington next week by Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, the White House said on October 15.
- Minister starts construction of £83 million military logistics site UK MOD 16 Oct 2015 -- Defence Minister Philip Dunne has officially started construction work on the new £83M military logistics centre in Donnington.
- With high number of foreign fighters in Belgium, UN experts call for robust action to address risks UN News 16 Oct 2015 -- Belgium needs to develop an inclusive national vision and action on the issue of foreign fighters at federal, regional and local levels, the United Nations Working Group on the use of mercenaries said today following a five-day visit to the European nation.
- October 16, 2015 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 16 Oct 2015
- 16 October 2015 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 16 Oct 2015
- Yemen rockets kill several Saudi-led forces Press TV 16 Oct 2015 -- Yemeni forces have reportedly killed a number of individuals, including troopers, cooperating with Saudi Arabia in its military aggression against Yemen.
- Turkey shoots down aircraft 'after three warnings' Press TV 16 Oct 2015 -- The Turkish military says it has shot down aircraft, of an unidentified nationality, in its airspace after warning it three times.
- All Russian Aircraft in Syria, Including Drones, Are Safely At Base Sputnik 16 Oct 2015 -- Earlier today, the Turkish General Staff said Turkey shot down an unidentified aircraft in its airspace near the border with Syria.
- Turkey Downs Unidentified Aircraft on Border With Syria - General Staff Sputnik 16 Oct 2015 -- According to Turkey's General Staff, an unidentified aircraft has been downed by the country's forces for violating its airspace.
- Iran rejects reports about dispatch of troops to Syria IRNA 16 Oct 2015 -- An informed source in Iran's Foreign Ministry, who spoke on condition of anonymity on Friday, rejected reports about the dispatch of Iranian troops to Syria to fight terrorist groups.
- Syrian forces launch anti-terror offensive south of Aleppo Press TV 16 Oct 2015 -- Syrian armed forces, backed by Russian air support, have reportedly launched a large-scale military offensive against Takfiri terrorists in the southern countryside of Aleppo, the country's second-largest city.
- Iran has no ground troops in Syria: Official Press TV 16 Oct 2015 -- Iran has dismissed reports claiming that Tehran has dispatched ground troops to Syria.
- Demoralized militants fleeing Daesh ranks en masse: Russia general Press TV 16 Oct 2015 -- A senior Russian general says there has been growing discontent among Daesh militants with their command in Syria, with many of them deserting the terror group's ranks as Moscow presses ahead with its air raids against terrorist positions in the Arab state.
- Russian General Outlines Moscow's Plans In Syria RFE/RL 16 Oct 2015 -- Russia plans to build a 'unified military base' in Syria to serve as the base for its operations against Islamic State (IS) militants.
- Dozens of Terrorists Killed by Syrian Army in Latakia Province Sputnik 16 Oct 2015 -- Syrian army's full-scale offensive in the Latakia province began on Friday.
- The Promised Battle': Syrian Army Begins Major Offensive Near Aleppo Sputnik 16 Oct 2015 -- The Syrian army has reportedly launched a large-scale offensive near the city of Aleppo.
- Obama: Ground Offensive in Syria Will Not Work VOA 16 Oct 2015 -- U.S. President Barack Obama says a ground offensive in Syria is 'not going to work.'
- Iraqi forces retake control of Baiji oil refinery from Daesh Press TV 16 Oct 2015 -- Iraqi army units and allied Shia volunteer forces have taken back the country's largest oil refinery, Baiji, from Daesh Takfiri terrorists as they push ahead with their counter-terror military operations.
- Ukrainian Forces Begin Withdrawal of Mortars in Lugansk Sputnik 15 Oct 2015 -- According to Ukraine's General Staff, the country's armed forces are coordinating the withdrawal of mortars in the Lugansk region with the OSCE.
- Obama to Regional Leaders: 'Tamp Down' Jerusalem Violence VOA 16 Oct 2015 -- U.S. President Barack Obama expressed concern about the outbreak of violence in Jerusalem, calling on regional leaders to "tamp down" on rhetoric that might feed "violence or anger or misunderstanding.'
- Guardian Council approves JCPOA amid stormy Majlis session IRNA 16 Oct 2015 -- The Guardian Council gave its approval for the implementation of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) on Wednesday, one day after the Majlis (parliament) ratified the bill during an unusual stormy session.
- JCPOA will go into effect in three days: Kerry IRNA 16 Oct 2015 -- The nuclear agreement that was reached in July will go into effect in three days, US Secretary of State John Kerry said during his visit to Indiana University.
- IAEA Reports Iran is Co-Operating With 'Roadmap' to Full Nuclear Disclosure Sputnik 16 Oct 2015 -- The International Atomic Energy Agency's (IAEA) latest report on the completed roadmap clarifying past and present issues of Iran's nuclear program signals a successful process toward implementing the Iran nuclear deal, a diplomatic source said on Thursday.
- UN refugee agency backs plan to boost protection for people fleeing disasters and climate change UN News 16 Oct 2015 -- The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) has joined 110 nations to strengthen steps to protect people displaced across borders by disasters and climate change.
- Turkey: Europe's Offer of Migrant Deal 'Insincere' VOA 16 Oct 2015 -- European Union leaders, at a meeting in Brussels, have agreed on a plan to offer Turkey $3.5 billion, together with visa-free travel and renewed accession talks, in return for stopping the flow of refugees and migrants into the EU. But the offer is getting a lukewarm reception in Ankara.
- Burkina Faso: 'There must be justice' IRIN 16 Oct 2015 -- There can be no amnesty for any members of Burkina Faso's elite presidential guard found to be responsible for the deaths of 14 unarmed civilians and the wounding of hundreds more in the days following the 16 September coup. This is the message human rights groups and the Burkinabe people want heard loud and clear now that the country is back on the path of democratic transition.
- Experts: Pyongyang's Overtures Raise Hope for Talks VOA 16 Oct 2015 -- Prospects for renewed talks with North Korea are rising as Pyongyang appears to moderate its behavior, U.S. experts say.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|