09 October 2015 Military News
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 09 Oct 2015 [PDF]
- Strikes Target ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 09 Oct 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Afghanistan: UN agency begins humanitarian assistance to families fleeing Kunduz UN News 09 Oct 2015 -- Afghans who fled fighting in Kunduz have received bread baked from wheat flour fortified with vitamins and minerals along with other food supplies, but the World Food Programme (WFP) is "seriously concerned" about the safety and food security of people remaining in the north-eastern province.
- Afghan forces kill 175 Taliban militants in clean-up operations Press TV 09 Oct 2015 -- Afghan army troops have killed more than 170 Taliban militants and wounded tens of others in a series of mop-up operations conducted across the war-torn country over the past 24 hours.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Press Call on the Counter-ISIL Campaign The White House 09 Oct 2015
- Pentagon Pauses Moderate Syrian Train and Equip Mission AFPS 09 Oct 2015 -- The fight against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant is a 'long and arduous' process, Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook reiterated today in a statement announcing that the Pentagon has shifted its focus in Syria and paused its program to train and equip moderate Syrian forces.
- Statement on Syria DoD 09 Oct 2015 -- "Last year the Department of Defense received authorization from Congress to train and equip moderate opposition forces in Syria as one of several lines of effort to fight the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL)."
- US Abandons Efforts to Train Syrian Rebels VOA 09 Oct 2015 -- The Obama administration is abandoning efforts to train Syrian rebel forces to fight Islamic State militants, and switching to a strategy of 'equipping and enabling' a select group of 'vetted' opposition leaders and units.
- Pentagon halts program to train new militant forces in Syria Press TV 09 Oct 2015 -- The Pentagon plans to stop training new militant forces in Syria, in an acknowledgment that the $500-million program has failed to produce an effective proxy force in the war-torn country.
- Last of 12 GPS IIF satellites arrive at Cape Canaveral for processing AFNS 09 Oct 2015 -- The last Air Force GPS IIF in a block of 12 satellites was delivered to Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida, from Boeing's manufacturing facility in El Segundo, California, Oct. 8 via a C-17 Globemaster III.
- Illinois Airmen unveil combat simulator for tactical air controllers AFNS 09 Oct 2015 -- Airmen with the Illinois Air National Guard unveiled a combat simulator they helped create for tactical air controllers during a ceremony with lawmakers Oct. 5 at the 182nd Airlift Wing.
- Navy to Christen Submarine Illinois DoD 09 Oct 2015 -- The Navy will christen its newest Virginia-class attack submarine Illinois (SSN 786), Saturday, Oct. 10, during an 11 a.m. EDT ceremony at General Dynamics Electric Boat in Groton, Conn.
- USNS Spearhead Arrives in Mayport to Close Out Southern Partnership Station 2015 NNS 09 Oct 2015 -- USNS Spearhead (EPF 1) returned to Mayport Oct. 9, after deploying from early June to early October in support of Southern Partnership Station-Joint High Speed Vessel 2015 (SPS-JHSV 15).
- USS Providence Returns from Six-Month Deployment NNS 09 Oct 2015 -- The Los Angeles-class attack submarine USS Providence (SSN 719) returned to its homeport at U.S. Naval Submarine Base, New London from a regularly scheduled deployment on Friday, Oct. 9.
- Carter, U.K. Counterpart Discuss the Way Ahead in 21st Century AFPS 09 Oct 2015 -- Today's discussions of defense matters and ways to deepen the U.S. and U.K. partnership come at a critical time for British defense planning, Defense Secretary Ash Carter said in London during a joint press conference with his U.K. counterpart.
- Joint Press Conference by Secretary Carter and Secretary of State for Defense Fallon in London, England DoD 09 Oct 2015 -- Secretary of Defense Ash Carter and UK Secretary of State for Defense Michael Fallon
- Defence Secretary Michael Fallon hosts US Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter UK MOD 09 Oct 2015 -- Defence Secretary Michael Fallon has hosted a visit by the US Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter in London.
- US within reach of North Korean nukes, says NORAD Press TV 09 Oct 2015 -- North Korea has sufficient technological capability to conduct nuclear attacks against the US mainland, a top US military chief has warned.
- North Korea Preps for Major Military Parade VOA 09 Oct 2015 -- In Pyongyang preparations are under way to mark the 70th anniversary of the founding of its Workers' Party with one of the largest military parades in North Korea's history.
- Iran Accounts Of 'Flying Objects,' Blasts Bolster U.S. Claims Of Errant Russian Missiles RFE/RL 09 Oct 2015 -- While Iran has so far avoided confirming or denying U.S. assertions that Russian missiles aimed at antigovernment forces in Syria instead landed in that country, local reports have emerged of explosions and flying objects in several Iranian towns.
- Russian Navy Receives Sub, 7 Ships, 7 Aircraft, Missile Systems Sputnik 09 Oct 2015 -- The Russian Navy received one submarine and seven warships and auxiliary vessels along with seven aircraft and other equipment in the third quarter of 2015, Deputy Defense Minister Yuri Borisov said Friday.
- Russian Army to Receive 16 Helicopters, 29 Combat Aircraft by Year End Sputnik 09 Oct 2015 -- The Russian Aerospace Forces will receive 16 Ka-52 Alligator attack helicopters, 18 Su-30SM Flanker multi-role fighter jets and 11 MiG-31 Foxhound supersonic interceptor aircraft before the end of the year, the aircraft manufacturers told Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu Friday.
- Turkey Beefs Up Air Patrols Along Syrian Border Sputnik 09 Oct 2015 -- The Turkish military has increased the number of F-16 Fighting Falcon jets patrolling its southern border with war-torn Syria, the country's General Staff said Friday.
- India Looks for Alternative to France's Rafale Fighter Jet Sputnik 09 Oct 2015 -- India will consider alternatives to France's Rafale combat aircraft, the head of the country's air force said on Thursday.
- Russia to Sign Contract on Mi-35 Deliveries to Afghanistan in October Sputnik 09 Oct 2015 -- Russia plans to sign a contract on the delivery of several Mi-35 helicopters to Afghanistan.
- October 9, 2015 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 09 Oct 2015
- DoD News: Contracts for October 09, 2015
- Leading aircraft manufacturer poised to export new fighter jet People's Daily 09 Oct 2015 -- China's leading aircraft manufacturer is on the verge of exporting its fifth-generation fighter jet, according to industry sources.
- Now on Sale: China Set to Export New Fifth Generation Fighter Jet Sputnik 09 Oct 2015 -- China's leading aircraft manufacturer is about to start exporting its fifth-generation fighter jet, according to industry sources.
- 9 October 2015 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 09 Oct 2015
- Beijing Warns US on S. China Sea Patrols VOA 09 Oct 2015 -- China has sent a warning that appears directed at the United States to not engage in what it has called "provocative behavior" in the South China Sea.
- China Concerns about U.S. Navy Challenging Chinese Territory in the South China Sea People's Daily 09 Oct 2015 -- China expresses serious concern about reports saying that U.S. Navy will send a surface ship into China's territory in the South China Sea, a Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson said on Thursday.
- Civilians killed by air strikes at Yemeni wedding party 'deeply disturbing,' says UN humanitarian chief UN News 09 Oct 2015 -- The top United Nations humanitarian official today said he was "deeply disturbed" by the news of civilians being killed by coalition air strikes that hit a wedding party in Yemen's Dhamar Governorate yesterday.
- Russian-Backed Offensive Stalls in Syria VOA 09 Oct 2015 -- Russian intervention in Syria appears to have shored-up President Bashar al-Assad's hold on power, but the latest U.S. assessment indicates slickly produced videos meant to show off Moscow's military actually are covering up what might be difficulties both in the air and on the ground.
- Russia dismisses U.S. refusal to share intelligence in campaign in Syria People's Daily 09 Oct 2015 -- The reluctance of the United States to share intelligence on Syria will not hamper Russia's operations in the war-torn country as Moscow has sufficient information from other sources, a Russian official said Thursday.
- Rouhani extends condolences over IRGC commander killing in Syria Press TV 09 Oct 2015 -- Iran's President Hassan Rouhani has offered his condolences on the killing of Brigadier General Hossein Hamedani, a senior commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC), by terrorist groups in Syria.
- Top Iranian Commander Killed in Syria VOA 09 Oct 2015 -- A senior Iranian Revolutionary Guards commander was killed in Syria, Tehran said Friday, as French warplanes carried out fresh airstrikes in the country.
- Russia says attacks in Syria leave 300 militants dead Press TV 09 Oct 2015 -- The Russian Defense Ministry says some 200 Takfiri militants, including two senior members of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group, have been killed in an attack in Syria as Moscow intensifies its anti-terror operation in the Arab country.
- Things to take new course in Syria soon: Nasrallah Press TV 09 Oct 2015 -- Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah, the head of the Lebanese resistance movement Hezbollah, says developments in Syria will soon be taking a new direction in light of the recent internal, regional and international events.
- Saudi Arabia Steps Up Arms Supplies to Syrian Rebels Sputnik 09 Oct 2015 -- Saudi Arabia is ramping up its supplies of lethal weaponry to three different rebel groups in Syria in response to the Russian airstrikes on Syrian rebels, British media reported, citing a Saudi government official in Riyadh.
- Russian Operations in Syria to Continue During Syrian Army's Offensive Sputnik 09 Oct 2015 -- Russia's airstrikes against terrorist groups in Syria will continue while Syria's government-led army carries out its ground offensive, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Friday.
- French Air Force Conducts Airstrikes on ISIL Training Camp in Syria Sputnik 09 Oct 2015 -- The French Air Force carried out airstrikes on a training camp of the Islamic State (ISIL) jihadist group on Friday night, French Defense Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said.
- Syrian Rebels Poised for Anti-Russia Collaboration VOA 09 Oct 2015 -- Russia's military intervention in Syria is pushing disparate rebel groups to work together more on the battlefield to confront ground offensives unleashed this week by President Bashar al-Assad's forces in the center and northwest of the war-wracked country.
- Cholera infections in Iraq climb to more than 1,300 Press TV 09 Oct 2015 -- Medical authorities in Iraq say the number of recorded cases of cholera in the Arab country has climbed to more than 1, 300, though there have been no new deaths as a result of the waterborne disease.
- Joint Statement on Libya by the Governments of France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the United Kingdom, and the United States US Dept. of State 09 Oct 2015
- UN mission in Libya proposes unity government Press TV 09 Oct 2015 -- The head of the UN Support Mission to Libya (UNSMIL) has proposed the formation of a unity government in the North African country.
- Top UN officials urge Libyan parties to endorse proposals on new unity government UN News 09 Oct 2015 -- Following the proposal of the names of candidates for the presidency for a national unity government in Libya, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has urged parties to the Libyan "not to squander this opportunity to put the country back on the path to building a State that reflects the spirit and ambitions of the 2011 revolution."
- UN Envoy in Libya Announces Proposal for Unity Government VOA 09 Oct 2015 -- The U.N. envoy for Libya has announced the proposal of a new unity government for the divided nation in what could be a key step toward ending four years of chaos and political turmoil.
- Security Council extends UN mission in South Sudan, urges inclusive dialogue towards lasting peace UN News 09 Oct 2015 -- Extending for two months the mandate of the United Nations Mission in the Republic of South Sudan (UNMISS), the Security Council urged the parties to implement a recent peace deal and adjusting the operation's activities, requesting the Secretary-General to prioritize the deployment if unarmed unmanned aerial systems and to make available technical assistance for setting up a hybrid court as called for in the peace agreement.
- Another peace deal unravels in South Sudan IRIN 09 Oct 2015 -- South Sudan's latest peace deal is unravelling as fighting picks up and a new declaration by President Salva Kiir threatens the most delicately struck parts of the agreement.
- Tunisian National Dialogue Quartet Wins 2015 Nobel Peace Prize RFE/RL 09 Oct 2015 -- who won the prize in 1983 -- The Tunisian National Dialogue Quartet has been awarded the 2015 Nobel Peace Prize for its 'decisive contribution to the building of a pluralistic democracy' in the wake of the North African country's 2011 Jasmine Revolution.
- UN Security Council authorizes operations to disrupt migrant smuggling of coast of Libya UN News 09 Oct 2015 -- Acting to help "save the threatened lives of migrants or of victims of human trafficking" and to disrupt criminal enterprises operating on the high-seas off the coast of Libya, the United Nations Security Council today authorized for one year operations by the European Union (EU) and individual countries to inspect and or seize vessels of suspected of people smuggling in the Mediterranean.
- North Korea's Kim 'Ready to Fight' US VOA 09 Oct 2015 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un warned that Pyongyang is 'ready to fight any kind of war waged by the U.S.,' as he presided over a major military parade Saturday to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the ruling Worker's Party.
- North Korea Seen Unlikely to Change Despite Chronic Food Shortage VOA 09 Oct 2015 -- North Korea's food production could drop more than 10 percent this year, raising new concern about the country's constant struggle to feed its people, the U.N. agricultural agency said.
- Turkey's Erdogan Warns Russia on Energy Deals VOA 08 Oct 2015 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, angered by Russia's bombing campaign in Syria, warned Moscow on Thursday that Ankara may look elsewhere for partners to supply natural gas and build its first nuclear power plant.
- Lukashenka's Longevity Recipe: Belarus Ruler Uses Force, Guile To Maintain Grip RFE/RL 09 Oct 2015 -- Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka may be despised in the West and tolerated through gritted teeth by Russia, but his authoritarian regime seems safe at home as he heads into an October 11 presidential election.
- China objects to UN proposal to sharply increase its contribution towards UN regular budget People's Daily 09 Oct 2015 -- China objected to the United Nations discriminating against China among other developing countries in assessing Member States' Contributions towards the Regular Budget and refused to accept the scale of the assessment of Member State contributions as they are more than China can afford, said ambassador Wang Min, Deputy Permanent Representative of China to the United Nations.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|