08 October 2015 Military News
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 08 Oct 2015 [PDF]
- Strikes Continue Against ISIL Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 08 Oct 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Task Force Al Asad trains Iraqis on broadcast capability USMC News 08 Oct 2015 -- U.S. Marines with Task Force Al Asad's Advise and Assist team helped members of the 7th Iraqi Army Division's (7th ID) media cell set up radio transmission equipment at Al Asad Air Base, Iraq, Sept. 28, 2015.
- Can new governors turn the Taliban tide in northern Afghanistan? IRIN 08 Oct 2015 -- The replacement of four provincial governors in northern Afghanistan could stem years of steady gains made by the Taliban in the region, where thousands of people have been displaced by violence.
- Afghanistan at 'Critical Juncture', Campbell Says AFPS 08 Oct 2015 -- Afghanistan is at a critical juncture, the commander of NATO's Resolute Support mission and U.S. forces in Afghanistan told a House panel here today.
- Taliban Islamic Movement Controls Up to 70% of Afghanistan Sputnik 08 Oct 2015 -- According to the intelligence obtained by Russian Defense Ministry's General Staff, the Taliban have up to 70 percent of Afghanistan territory under their control.
- 33 Still Missing After US Airstrike on Kunduz Hospital VOA 08 Oct 2015 -- Doctors Without Borders said Thursday that 33 people are still missing days after the U.S. airstrike on the international medical charity's hospital in Kunduz, Afghanistan killed 22 others.
- Guard Members Help Out in Hard-Hit South Carolina AFPS 08 Oct 2015 -- In the aftermath of record rainfall levels throughout South Carolina, communities are faced with damaged roads, loss of power and an inability to obtain their basic needs such as clean water, food and medical attention.
Defense Policy / Programs
- U.S. and Peruvian Forces Conduct Bilateral Exercise NNS 08 Oct 2015 -- Aircraft carrier USS George Washington (CVN 73), Carrier Strike Group (CSG) Nine, Carrier Air Wing (CVW) Two and Destroyer Squadron (DESRON) Two Three conducted a bilateral exercise with the Peruvian Navy and Air Force Sept. 30 through Oct. 3 as part of Southern Seas 2015.
- Readout of Secretary Carter's Meeting with Turkish Minister of Defense Vecdi Gonul DoD 08 Oct 2015
- Press Conference by Secretary Carter at NATO Headquarters, Brussels, Belgium DoD 08 Oct 2015 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Ash Carter
- US Signs Heavy Military Equipment Base Deal With Poland Sputnik 08 Oct 2015 -- The United States and Poland signed an intergovernmental agreement defining the locations of future bases for heavy US military equipment, Poland's Ministry of National Defense said Thursday.
- Air Force testers cleared for Pegasus AFNS 08 Oct 2015 -- Now that Boeing has two aircraft - one a 767-2C freighter and one a militarized KC-46A Pegasus tanker - in the air, the program expects flight testing will really get off the ground.
- Northcom Commander Discusses Importance of Missions AFPS 08 Oct 2015 -- Navy Adm. Bill Gortney said he has a mission set that ranges "from tracking Santa to thermonuclear war."
- Carter Addresses Syria, Afghanistan, Modern NATO Mission AFPS 08 Oct 2015 -- During a busy meeting today at NATO headquarters in Brussels, defense ministers discussed Afghanistan, Russian activities in Syria, and how NATO is adapting to meet future threats, Defense Secretary Ash Carter said during a scheduled press conference.
- Readout of Secretary Carter's Meeting with French Minister of Defense Jean-Yves Le Drian DoD 08 Oct 2015
- Arlington Departs for Maiden Deployment NNS 08 Oct 2015 -- Sailors and Marines manned the rails as the amphibious transport dock ship USS Arlington (LPD 24) set sail from Naval Station Norfolk Tuesday morning for its maiden deployment.
- Defence Ministers welcome progress on NATO-Georgia relations and discuss NATO's long-term adaptation NATO 08 Oct 2015 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said Georgia's progress on reforms "is on the right track" Thursday (8 October 2015) after NATO Defence Ministers reviewed increased cooperation with Georgia's Defence Minister Tinatin Khidasheli.
- NATO Defence Ministers take further steps to enhance collective defence NATO 08 Oct 2015 -- NATO Defence Ministers took further steps on Thursday (8 October 2015) to make the Alliance's collective defence stronger.
- Doorstep statement by NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg at the meeting of the North Atlantic Council at the level of Defence Ministers NATO 08 Oct 2015 -- (As delivered)
- NATO to set up new centers in Eastern Europe Press TV 08 Oct 2015 -- The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) has announced plans to boost its multinational force and create two more headquarters in Eastern Europe.
- NATO Members Approve Response Force Military Concept Sputnik 08 Oct 2015 -- NATO chief Jens Stoltenberg said that NATO has everything in place to make the Response Force stronger, faster and more capable.
- Russia Reportedly Uses Infrared-Guided Smart Bombs Against ISIL in Syria Sputnik 08 Oct 2015 -- Russia's operation against ISIL and other terrorist groups in Syria may involve the use of a little-known advanced weapon called the SBPE.
- Russia Has Fully Explained Turkish Airspace Violation - Deputy FM Sputnik 08 Oct 2015 -- Moscow considers its explanation for the violation of Turkish airspace by a Russian aircraft sufficient and is ready to continue dialogue on the issue with Ankara if necessary, Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov said Thursday.
- China moves to ensure veterans' welfare People's Daily 08 Oct 2015 -- China on Wednesday announced measures to improve the living standards of retired soldiers through pension reforms.
- China to Transfer Technology of Submarine Construction to Pakistan People's Daily 08 Oct 2015 -- China is to build four submarines in Pakistan port city Karachi, fulfilling a new defense deal between the two countries, Pakistan local media reported on Wednesday.
- Basij starts massive wargames in Jiroft zone IRNA 08 Oct 2015 -- Basij (Voluntary) Force started two-day massive drills dubbed 'Towards Beit al-Moqaddas' in the city of Jiroft on Thursday.
- Defence Secretary announces more support in Baltics and Ukraine UK MOD 08 Oct 2015 -- Michael Fallon has announced persistent UK troop deployments to the Baltic states and increased training for the Ukraine Armed Forces.
- Daily Press Briefing by Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 10/8/15 The White House 08 Oct 2015
- October 8, 2015 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 08 Oct 2015
- DoD News: Contracts for October 11, 2015
- US to Launch Intelligence Satellites for National Reconnaissance Office Sputnik 08 Oct 2015 -- United Launch Alliance is preparing a National Reconnaissance Office mission.
- 8 October 2015 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 08 Oct 2015
- Is the Yemen peace deal for real? IRIN 08 Oct 2015 -- Yemen's Houthi rebels formally committed this week to a UN-brokered peace plan, but their rival for power, President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi, dismissed it simply as a "manoeuvre."
- 15 Killed After Yemen Airstrike Hits Wedding VOA 08 Oct 2015 -- Suspected airstrikes by a Saudi Arabia-led coalition have hit a wedding in war-torn Yemen, according to witnesses and officials, killing at least 15 people and wounding at least 25 others.
- '160 Saudi-led forces killed in Yemen' Press TV 08 Oct 2015 -- At least 160 Saudi-led forces have reportedly been killed and 378 others injured in Yemen's central province of Ma'rib over the past two days.
- US warships to challenge China's territorial claims in South China Sea: Report Press TV 08 Oct 2015 -- The United States plans to sail warships in the South China Sea close to China's artificial islands to signal it does not recognize Beijing's territorial claims over the disputed area.
- Syrian army makes new gains in western province of Lattakia Press TV 08 Oct 2015 -- The Syrian army, backed by allied forces and the Russian Air Force, has made significant advances against militants in different parts of the country.
- Syria Rebels Repel Ground Assault, Call for US Help VOA 08 Oct 2015 -- Rebels with the Free Syrian Army repelled an offensive mounted Wednesday by forces loyal to President Bashar al-Assad in central Syria, destroying 10 government tanks – despite coming under repeated Russian air assault, their leaders claim.
- US Official: Russian Missiles Aimed at Syria Crash in Iran VOA 08 Oct 2015 -- Four Russian cruise missiles launched from warships in the Caspian Sea crashed in Iran, falling short of their targets in Syria, a U.S official confirmed to VOA.
- NATO Concerned Over Russian Cruise Missile Strikes Against Targets in Syria Sputnik 08 Oct 2015 -- Jens Stoltenberg said that NATO is concerned over intensified Russian military operations and cruise missile strikes on October 7 targeting Islamic State militant positions.
- Russia pounding non-ISIL targets in Syria: US Press TV 08 Oct 2015 -- Washington has accused Moscow of not striking the Daesh (ISIL) terrorist group and focusing their attacks on US-backed militants who seek to oust Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
- Major battle launched against terrorists in Aleppo: Syrian commander Press TV 08 Oct 2015 -- Syria's top military commander has announced the launch of a massive operation against the strongholds of foreign-backed terrorists in the northwestern Aleppo Province following heavy air raids by Russian and Syrian air forces.
- Russia launched 100+ strikes at Daesh positions in Syria Press TV 08 Oct 2015 -- Russia has conducted over 100 airstrikes against the positions of the Daesh terrorist group across Syria over the past week, striking 110 targets and triggering panic among other terror groups, says the Russian Defense Ministry.
- NATO Chief Cites 'Troubling Escalation' Of Russian Activity In Syria RFE/RL 08 Oct 2015 -- NATO's chief has warned of a 'troubling escalation' of Russian military activity in Syria ?s Damascus announced a wide-ranging ground offensive backed by more Russian air strikes.
- Syrian 'Moderate Opposition Gets Funds, Weapons From Jordan, Turkey Centers Sputnik 08 Oct 2015 -- Syrian Information Minister Omran Zoubi said that Syrian terrorist groups which Washington calls moderate get all kinds of foreign help – funds, modern weapons, management, and governance.
- Claims That Russia Targets Civilians in Syria Are 'Myth' - Foreign Ministry Sputnik 08 Oct 2015 -- Russia isn't refusing to cooperate with other countries in its efforts to resolve the crisis in Syria, the Foreign Ministry reiterated.
- Syria Rebels Repel Ground Assault, Call for US Help VOA 08 Oct 2015 -- Rebels with the Free Syrian Army (FSA) on Wednesday repelled an offensive by forces loyal to President Bashar al-Assad in central Syria, destroying 10 government tanks despite repeated fire from a Russian air assault, their leaders claim.
- Daesh Takfiris kidnap 200 people in northern Iraq Press TV 08 Oct 2015 -- Members of the Takfiri Daesh terrorist group have abducted hundreds of people in Iraq's conflict-stricken northern province of Kirkuk.
- UN envoy to propose unity government for Libya Press TV 08 Oct 2015 -- The head of the UN Support Mission to Libya (UNSMIL), Bernardino Leon, has announced plans to propose a list of candidates to form a unity government in Libya.
- British Group Presents Evidence Russian Buk Shot Down MH17 RFE/RL 08 Oct 2015 -- A British NGO has published a summary report claiming that a Russian Buk surface-to-air missile system shot down a Malaysian Airlines passenger jet on July 17, 2014, over eastern Ukraine, killing all 298 people aboard.
- Moscow Calls for Increase to 1,000 OSCE Monitors in Ukraine Sputnik 08 Oct 2015 -- Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said that there are currently less than 600 OSCE monitors in Ukraine and that Moscow is calling "for an increase in the number of the special monitoring mission to its allowable number of 1,000 in accordance with its mandate."
- Chinese peacekeeping forces in South Sudan encounter armed conflicts People's Daily 08 Oct 2015 -- The long-distance armed patrol team of an infantry battalion of Chinese peacekeeping forces in South Sudan has recently encountered several intense armed conflicts around its temporary operational base, People's Daily Online reported on Oct.7, 2015.
- Netanyahu Vows Tough Action Against Palestinian Violence VOA 08 Oct 2015 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is promising to take a hard line against Palestinians who have unleashed a wave of attacks against Israelis, but he says he does not want to anger Israel's allies.
- 'Extremely concerned' by escalating West Bank violence, UN rights chief urges restraint UN News 08 Oct 2015 -- Voicing extreme concern over escalating tensions and rapidly-spreading violence in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, the United Nations human rights chief today called for urgent action by both Israelis and Palestinians to halt the violence, while stressing the need to ensure security forces comply with international standards and respect for human rights.
- 4 More Israelis Stabbed; Arab Shot, Killed VOA 08 Oct 2015 -- Israeli troops shot and killed an Arab who had stabbed four Israelis with a screwdriver on Thursday, amid a flurry of violent Palestinian attacks that have sparked new Israeli-Palestinian tensions.
- War Crimes in 2008 Russia-Georgia Conflict Probed VOA 08 Oct 2015 -- The Hague-based International Criminal Court (ICC) said Thursday that its prosecutor has called for an inquiry into allegations of war crimes committed during the Russia-Georgia conflict in 2008.
- South Sudan Repartition Could Split Country Yet Again VOA 08 Oct 2015 -- South Sudanese President Salva Kiir says he will repartition the country into 28 states, up from the current 10. Opponents say taking such unilateral action is a violation of the recently signed peace deal, and is the latest sticking point on the path to peace.
- Koreas Exchange List of Participants for Reunions VOA 08 Oct 2015 -- South and North Korea Thursday exchanged a list of participants for a rare inter-Korean family reunion, moving closer to an implementation of a key agreement between the two Koreas.
- Briefing by Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Maria Zakharova, Moscow, October 8, 2015 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 08 Oct 2015
- Khamenei Forbids Iran Negotiating With U.S. After Nuclear Talks RFE/RL 08 Oct 2015 -- Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei banned any further negotiations between Iran and the United States October 7, in a blow to moderates hoping to end the two nations' decades-long estrangement.
- Report: Markets Expand in N. Korea Despite Crackdown VOA 08 Oct 2015 -- Markets in North Korea have expanded in most cities over the past 10 years, a possible indication that authorities are losing their grip on the country's economy, a new report by a U.S. think tank says.
- NASA: Pluto Has Blue Sky VOA 08 Oct 2015 -- Pluto has blue skies and water in ice form, according to the first color photos recently taken by NASA's New Horizons spacecraft.
- No new cases of Ebola reported for first time since March 2014 – UN health agency UN News 08 Oct 2015 -- There were no new cases of Ebola reported in West Africa in the week ending last Sunday, making it the first week since March 2014 with zero cases recorded in the three countries most affected by the outbreak, according to the World Health Organization (WHO), which cautioned that there remains a near-term risk of new cases.
- Haiti taking 'resolute' steps towards renewal of democracy and stability – UN envoy UN News 08 Oct 2015 -- With the holding its first round of elections 9 August this year, to renew the executive legislative and local leadership of the country, Haiti is taking "resolute" steps in renewing its democratic institutions, the top United Nations official for the country told the Security Council today.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|