05 October 2015 Military News
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) Casualty Update 05 Oct 2015 [PDF]
- Airmen, aircraft set up in Turkey to support recovery ops in Syria, Iraq AFNS 05 Oct 2015 -- U.S. Air Forces Central Command has begun staging small detachments of aircraft and airmen at Diyarbakir Air Base in southeast Turkey to enhance coalition capabilities to support personnel recovery operations in Syria and Iraq.
- Coalition Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL Targets in Syria, Iraq AFPS 05 Oct 2015 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- In Madrid, Carter Says Russia's Strategy in Syria 'Way Off Track' AFPS 05 Oct 2015 -- Defense Secretary Ash Carter, who is visiting Spain as part of a four-nation European tour, said today Russia's approach to Syria is not well thought through and is doomed to fail.
- Afghanistan: UN envoy says inquiry into fatal Kunduz hospital air strike must be 'impartial' UN News 05 Oct 2015 -- Nicholas Haysom, the United Nations Special Representative for Afghanistan, reiterated today the need for an impartial investigation into the deadly air strike on the Médecins sans Frontières (MSF) hospital in Kunduz, which resulted in the deaths and injuries of medical personnel, patients and other civilians this past Saturday.
- Department of Defense Press Briefing by Gen. Campbell in the Pentagon Briefing Room DoD 05 Oct 2015 -- General John F. Campbell, commander, U.S. forces in Afghanistan
- Campbell Provides Updates on Kunduz Investigation AFPS 05 Oct 2015 -- The commander of NATO's Resolute Support mission and U.S. forces in Afghanistan corrected details about the Oct. 3 airstrike that struck a hospital staffed by Doctors Without Borders personnel in Kunduz, Afghanistan.
- Aid agencies withdraw from Afghanistan's north IRIN 05 Oct 2015 -- The United Nations has evacuated staff from areas of northern Afghanistan where a suspected American airstrike hit a clinic run by Médecins Sans Frontières, forcing it to leave Kunduz Province – the latest in a growing number of humanitarian agencies withdrawing from the north as violence increases.
- US general says Afghan forces called in air strike on Kunduz hospital Press TV 05 Oct 2015 -- The top US commander in Afghanistan has said that the deadly US air strike on a Doctors Without Borders hospital in the northern city of Kunduz was carried out at the request of Afghan forces.
- U.S. Commander: Afghans Requested Deadly Kunduz Hospital Air Strike RFE/RL 05 Oct 2015 -- The top commander of U.S. and coalition forces in Afghanistan says a deadly air strike at a hospital in the northern city of Kunduz was requested by Afghan forces.
- US General: Afghans Called for Hospital Strikes VOA 05 Oct 2015 -- The Afghan military called for the American airstrike against Taliban fighters at a hospital in Kunduz that killed 22 medical workers and patients, according to the top commander of U.S. and international forces in Afghanistan.
- Guardsmen Respond to Flooding Across 3 States AFPS 05 Oct 2015 -- Roughly 1,300 National Guardsmen in three states are on duty today in response to severe flooding following heavy rainfall generated by Hurricane Joaquin.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Carter Stresses Need for Security Networks to Confront New Threats AFPS 05 Oct 2015 -- It takes a network to beat a network, Defense Secretary Ash Carter said this morning in Madrid at Spain's National Center for Advanced Studies of National Security, the Spanish equivalent of the National Defense University.
- Secretary of Defense Ash Carter and Spanish Minister of Defense D. Pedro Morenes Eulate DoD 05 Oct 2015 -- Secretary of Defense Ash Carter and Spanish Minister of Defense D. Pedro Morenes Eulate
- Statement from the Secretary of Defense Ash Carter on the Trans-Pacific Partnership: DoD 05 Oct 2015
- U.S., Bangladesh Armed Forces Complete CARAT 2015 NNS 05 Oct 2015 -- The 5th annual exercise Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training (CARAT) Bangladesh came to a close at Naval Base Issa Khan, Oct. 4.
- Mount Whitney Completes Dry-Dock, Returns to Gaeta, Italy NNS 05 Oct 2015 -- The U.S. 6th Fleet command and control ship USS Mount Whitney (LCC 20), returned to Gaeta, Italy Oct. 3, 2015, after completing a nine month dry dock period in Rijeka, Croatia.
- USS Oklahoma City visits Singapore during Routine Patrol NNS 05 Oct 2015 -- The Los Angeles-class fast-attack submarine USS Oklahoma City (SSN 723) arrived in Singapore Sept. 30 for a visit as a part of its deployment to the Western Pacific.
- Ike Receives Face Lift for F35C NNS 05 Oct 2015 -- With a next generation aircraft, the F-35C, going through its developmental test phase, Nimitz-class aircraft carriers are making modifications to keep up with the latest technology.
- SEACAT 2015 Kicks Off in Singapore NNS 05 Oct 2015 -- The 14th annual Southeast Asia Cooperation and Training (SEACAT) exercise commenced at the Republic of Singapore Navy's Multinational Operations and Exercises Centre (MOEC) Oct. 5.
- USS Porter to Enter Black Sea NNS 05 Oct 2015 -- USS Porter (DDG 78) will enter the Black Sea, Oct. 6, to promote peace and stability in the region.
- NATO calls on Russia to cease Syria military strikes Press TV 05 Oct 2015 -- The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) has called on Russia to stop its anti-Daesh air campaign in Syria after Russian fighter jet strayed into Turkey's airspace.
- Statement by the North Atlantic Council on incursions into Turkey's airspace by Russian aircraft NATO 05 Oct 2015 -- The North Atlantic Council met today to hold consultations on the potential implications of the recent dangerous military actions of the Russian Federation in and around Syria.
- US, UK to Hold Observation Flight Over Russia on October 5-10 Sputnik 05 Oct 2015 -- According to the head of the Russia's National Nuclear Risk Reduction Center, teams of international experts from the United States and the United Kingdom will perform an observation flight over Russia.
- Russian Warships Hold Missile, Artillery Drills in Mediterranean - Ministry Sputnik 05 Oct 2015 -- Black Sea Fleet press attaché Capt. 1st Rank Vyacheslav Trukhachyov said that a group of Russian Black Sea Fleet ships has conducted missile and artillery exercises in the Mediterranean Sea.
- Latvia May Reinstate Compulsory Military Service - Defense Ministry Sputnik 05 Oct 2015 -- Latvia has begun mobilizing reservists and is considering a return to compulsory military service, a spokesman for Latvia's Defense Ministry said Monday.
- Background Briefing: Previewing Secretary Kerry's Trip to Haiti US Dept. of State 05 Oct 2015
- October 5, 2015 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 05 Oct 2015
- Daily Press Briefing by Press Secretary Josh Earnest, 10/5/2015 The White House 05 Oct 2015
- 5 October 2015 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 05 Oct 2015
- Saudi airstrikes hit seven targets in Yemen's Sa'ada Press TV 05 Oct 2015 -- Saudi Arabia has continued to strike Yemen with deadly airstrikes, targeting areas in the country's northern province of Sa'ada.
- Assad removal would contravene UN resolution: Russia Press TV 05 Oct 2015 -- Russia's foreign minister says unseating Syrian President Bashar al-Assad to resolve the country's crisis would constitute a blatant violation of a UN Security Council resolution.
- U.S., NATO Condemn Russia's Violations Of Turkish Airspace RFE/RL 05 Oct 2015 -- The United States and its NATO allies have condemned Russia's incursions into Turkey's airspace, saying the violations were both dangerous and irresponsible.
- NATO Claims Russian Airstrikes in Syria Did Not Target ISIL Sputnik 05 Oct 2015 -- NATO expressed deep concern with regard to the Russian military build-up in Syria and especially the attacks by the Russian Air Force on Hama, Homs, and Idlib which led to civilian casualties.
- Moscow, Ankara Settle Turkish Airspace Violation Incident Sputnik 05 Oct 2015 -- Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said that Russia contacted Turkey through diplomatic channels and told Ankara that Moscow respects Turkey's borders.
- Russian Warplanes Destroy ISIL Base in Syria's Idlib Sputnik 05 Oct 2015 -- Russian Su-24M and Su-34 bombers operating from the Hmeymim airbase have destroyed a number of key ISIL facilities, a Defense Ministry spokesman said.
- Kremlin: 'Volunteers' May Join Syrian Forces VOA 05 Oct 2015 -- A top Russian lawmaker says 'a unit of Russian volunteers,' including battle hardened veterans who fought in eastern Ukraine, may join Syrian government troops fighting Islamic State extremists and other terrorists in that country.
- Analysts: Russian Airstrikes Mirror Assad's VOA 05 Oct 2015 -- For more than a year, Syrian insurgents and civilians in rebellious areas in the war-torn country have been enduring a reign of terror from the skies with President Bashar al-Assad's aircraft dropping cheaply produced improvised "barrel bombs" on them. Now they're coming under attack from Russian bombers firing so-called "dumb missiles" designed to maximize casualties.
- US not serious in fight against Daesh : Iraq commander Press TV 05 Oct 2015 -- A high-ranking Iraqi commander has cast doubt on the seriousness of the so-called US-led coalition in its fight against Daesh Takfiri militants operating in Iraq and Syria.
- Daesh executes 70 tribesmen in Iraq Anbar province Press TV 05 Oct 2015 -- An Iraqi tribal leader has revealed that Takfiri Daesh militants have executed 70 of his fellow tribesmen in the western province of Anbar.
- Car bomb attacks kill 57 across Iraq Press TV 05 Oct 2015 -- Three separate car bomb attacks across Iraq have left at least 57 people dead and scores injured.
- South Sudan: UN agency air operation delivers agriculture aid to hard-to-access areas UN News 05 Oct 2015 -- The UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) today announced that its rapid response operation in conflict-torn South Sudan has delivered livelihood assistance to 60,000 food-insecure households in hard-to-reach areas of northern Jonglei, Unity and Upper Nile States, where food stocks are running out and most families have been unable to produce food through farming or fishing this year.
- Kyrgyz Voters Choose Russia RFE/RL 05 Oct 2015 -- With the ballot counting all but over in Kyrgyzstan's parliamentary vote, the results drive home the extent to which that Central Asian republic has resigned itself to a place in Moscow's orbit.
- Monitors Praise Kyrgyz Elections Won By Social Democrats RFE/RL 05 Oct 2015 -- Kyrgyzstan's Social Democratic Party (SDPK) has won the country's parliamentary elections which international election monitors have praised for being competitive but in need of better administration and increased transparency of parties' funding.
- UN, humanitarian community struggling to meet unprecedented needs of refugees UN News 05 Oct 2015 -- The global refugee crisis is so great that the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), other UN agencies and their partners today said that they are struggling to respond to and meet all the humanitarian needs they face.
- Burundi's descent into hell IRIN 05 Oct 2015 -- It's not unusual to find dead bodies in Bujumbura these days. We discover them on the streets, in drainage channels, bushes and rivers.
- Burkina Faso: Ban meets with transition President Kafando to discuss situation in country UN News 05 Oct 2015 -- In a meeting today with Michel Kafando, the Transitional President of Burkina Faso, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon expressed his sympathy for the lives lost and the many injured during the coup d'état that took place on 16 September 2015.
- U.S. Sanctions North Caucasus Militants For IS Recruiting Efforts RFE/RL 05 Oct 2015 -- The United States has hit two North Caucasus militants involved in recruiting fighters for the Islamic State (IS) group with new financial sanctions, as Washington and others countries struggle to fight the success of similar recruiting efforts.
- China to Send Senior Official to North Korea VOA 05 Oct 2015 -- China plans to send a senior official to North Korea this week for commemorations of the founding of North Korea's ruling party, North Korea's state media said on Sunday.
- North Korea Releases Student Held Since April VOA 05 Oct 2015 -- North Korea Monday released a New York University student who had been detained for five months after illegally entering the country.
- Senior Judge Blasts German Gov't Plans to Gag Spy Whistleblowers Sputnik 05 Oct 2015 -- A judge in Germany has said the country's justice minister Heiko Maas is attempting to quietly push through legislation that would criminalize whistleblowing and 'would be an attack on democracy and freedom of the press'.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|