Attack by Azeri troops kills 4 Armenians: Nagorno-Karabakh ministry
Iran Press TV
Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:5AM
Amid inflamed bilateral tensions, Azeri forces have reportedly shot and killed four Armenian soldiers and wounded several others near the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh enclave.
The Defense Ministry in the region, which lies inside Azerbaijan but is controlled by ethnic Armenians, said on Friday that the casualties had been caused as a result of shelling and gunfire by the Azeri forces.
Armenian officials also said on Thursday that three women had lost their lives and two other civilians sustained injuries after the Azerbaijani army shelled the Tavush region in northeastern Armenia.
On Saturday, Armenia's Foreign Ministry said the country's top diplomat Eduard Nalbandian had met with his Azerbaijani counterpart Elmar Mammadyarov as tensions run high.
The neighbors both claim the territory. Ethnic Armenian forces took control over it in the early 1990s during a six-year-long war that lasted from February 1988 to May 1994.
The conflict left an estimated 30,000 people dead and one million displaced before the two sides agreed to a ceasefire in 1994. A permanent peace accord has, however, proven elusive.
Azerbaijan has threatened to take back the region by force if negotiations between the two sides fail to yield results. Armenia says it would not stand by if Nagorno-Karabakh were attacked.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|